Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
EnojysAnyBeer

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

To: Me
From: Shiner

A- Dark translucent brown-red color with a nice bubbly head that leaves a few globs of lace

S- Fresh peaches dominate the smell. Some sweet malty smell and a hint a pecan noted at the suggestion

T- Yummy wheat malt and peaches all the way home. Grainy, roasty, sweet. Becomes nicely nutty as it warms up

M- Shiner never wows me with their "flaccid" carbonation. Moderate body with some chewy-ness

D- The added peach flavor really detracts from drinkability. However, this beer has enough character to be a delight all by itself(rather than paired with a meal)

01-08-2009 01:18:08 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
Nichts

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

11-20-2009 05:50:45 | More by Nichts
LordofTime25

Iowa

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours to a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the drinking experiance!

Smells very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!

Taste a peachiness and a hint of the peacans or some other nut.

Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!

A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice!

11-25-2008 01:13:33 | More by LordofTime25
brewyou2

Oklahoma

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

Prosit!

11-08-2011 04:34:15 | More by brewyou2
ClockworkOrange

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to Deuane for picking me up a few bottles of this while out in State College. This has to be one of the coolest, retro looking bottle of beer that I've ever come across, right down to the cap. Seems like it jumped out of a time machine from the 50's. Cheers to the graphic artist(s) that designed the artwork for this beer. Poured into my nonic pint glass a clear deep brown amber color reminiscent of cream soda with barely a finger of off white foam. Smells of toasted grain and fresh sweet peaches. Tastes of creamy caramel malt, fresh peaches, and a pleasant nutty bitterness. Medium in both body and carbonation. A very tasty and different take on a holiday beer. Well done.

01-22-2009 04:05:46 | More by ClockworkOrange
Misfit138

Tennessee

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

11-08-2010 04:24:43 | More by Misfit138
kels

3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

Picked up a single to add to my Christmas beers collection. Decided to try it when I definitely needed some holiday cheer after a crappy day at work. Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: The color is great - a beautiful deep coppery brown, kind of like Coke. Light carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Light brown, fluffy 2-finger head fades incredibly fast to a skim on the top. Not much lacing throughout, sadly.

Smell: The peaches are incredibly upfront in this brew. Kind of unique compared to the other holiday beers out there. Really nice note of caramel chewiness and a buttery, nutty scent. The bottle claims pecans, but I don't know if I could discern that from the smell. There is a hint of a metallic smell as the head fades.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The nutty, maltiness is deliciously complemented by the peaches. The sweetness is not overpowering - not saccharine-like, more subtle. There's a maple syrup-like quality to it. There's also a little spiciness, like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. The carbonation is perfect for me - very much like a soda. The mouthfeel is very light and clear for such flavors thanks to the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high thanks to the bubbles, and they help remove the stickiness typically left from a beer like this. I really enjoy the taste. Despite the peaches seeming more like a summer fruit, I think this is an excellent accompaniment to holiday celebrations.

12-12-2008 21:30:11 | More by kels
elniko

3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark amber coloring with one finger head that dissipated slowly. Lacing apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow, what an intriguing nose. The peach tones nearly overwhelm everything. I've had beer with an apricot nose before but never a peach nose.

T & M: Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but not overly so, just slightly watery. Peach tones come through initially but do not overwhelm. Finish has a hint of pecan. Nice smooth drinking brew that I can see myself drinking throughout the holidays. Good job in not making the peach sweetness cloying.

D: Definitely drinkable, good work Spoetzl. I'm always pleased when the little brewery in Shiner cranks out a quality brew.

11-10-2008 01:32:19 | More by elniko
leakyfaucet12

Wisconsin

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

02-15-2010 02:07:52 | More by leakyfaucet12
stercomm

Had on tap at the Yardhouse in Houston

A - Dark amber in color with a tan head that receded very quickly, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S - Getting a sweet peach sniff along with a very slight hint of malts.

T - Predominantly peaches with some malts and some pine on the finish. Finishes rather dry which I like. Feel like I get a little bit of slate.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry in the mouth.

O - This is not a bad beer, some would probably like to see more spiciness or malts, I like the finish being somewhat dry, the peaches aren't overpowering.

11-05-2011 22:46:08 | More by stercomm
Contagion

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

When poured into a glass, an inch thick tan head forms over the dark brown with ruby accented body. The head fades slowly to a ring around the edge of the beer. A nice lacing forms in the glass and lasts all the way until the beer is finished.

The smell is an interesting combination of peaches, pears and nuts. There is a nice hop background to it, which really brings out the sweetness to the scent. It's not so sweet that it deters an avid beer drinker from wanting to drink it. The smell sets up the taste. A smooth combination of Malts, peaches and apricots crosses the tongue. A nice nutty finish of pecans rounds off the flavor. The flavor lingers after you've finished drinking.

This is a medium bodied beer that is light on the carbonation. It's smooth and very easy to drink.

Normally I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but this one was really enjoyable, surprisingly so actually. When I first smelled the beer and the sweetness to it, I figured it would be like drinking fruit juice mixed with beer. It was nothing like that. I found this rather enjoyable to drink.

12-19-2008 03:02:36 | More by Contagion
GregSVT

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint 1554 pint glass.

A: Pours a dark cola-like brown with a small tan head that fades to near nothing and leaves no lacing.

S: The nose is unlike any other I've ever had. Big candied fruit sweetness, malty, and a hint of peaches.

T: Taste is peaches, peaches, and more peaches with a malty backbone. It's pretty sweet and I'd like to see a bit more hops to balance this out a bit.

M: Light and refreshing with a tiny bit of creaminess from the carbonation. About par for Shiner but I'd like to see a bit more body seeing as how this is a Dunkel.

D: I could have two or maybe 3 before the sweetness got to me. I'd also buy again if only to share with friends and family.

If you see it grab at least one bottle to try. The interesting Peach component makes this pretty unique at least from a TX brewer.

11-17-2009 01:06:59 | More by GregSVT
superdedooperboy

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Received as one of the numerous extras in a trade with JJFoodie. Thanks!

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with twist-off cap into a snifter glass.

Pours a clear mahogany hue with a finger of light beige foam that lingers momentarily before disappearing into a thick crown that leaves no trace of itself on the walls of the glass as it fades away.

Aroma is a fruity mix of peaches, apricots, and blueberries, with a hint of underlying nuttiness and brown sugar.

A little on the light side, with a medium body and a mild carbonation. Sweet up front, with a mild maltiness that is encircled by sweet peach juice. The middle is embodied by a very dry combination of nuts and herbaceous hops, with a bit of a gritty nature that carries through into the dry, nutty finish.

Very interesting and rather drinkable, though the finish is perhaps a bit too astringent. Peaches are not the sort of fruit I generally think of when it comes to winter, though having been born and raised in The Peach State on the site of an old pecan plantation, I do very much enjoy both peaches and pecans, and the combination in a beer is pleasant, unexpected, and uncommon. Certainly recommended.

12-10-2009 04:17:38 | More by superdedooperboy
homebrew311

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

A: deep chestnut brown, thin layer of white head, minimal lacing

S: nose is all peach with hints of strawberry and vanilla in the background, very fruity, I'm amazed by how peachy this is.

T: taste feature fruitiness up front, not quite as peachy as the nose, notes of cherry and pecan come through, herbal notes on the finish

Mf: light body, mellow carbonation

O: really nice aroma, not sure how they pulled off the peach but I'm impressed. Not really getting the dunkelweizen character, but for what it is, it's tasty

12-21-2011 03:29:31 | More by homebrew311
cmkendrick

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change.

12-07-2010 02:18:11 | More by cmkendrick
Josievan

Iowa

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Red-amber with a moderate head.

Smell: The pecans come through in the aroma. Also peaches.

Taste: Peaches dominate. More specifically, canned peaches. I could swear this beer is half canned peach syrup. I don't detect much of the pecans, just a little on the finish, but that's probably because the peach aspect is so strong. This is supposedly a dunkelweizen, but there's very little wheat character.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: With such strong fruit character, this is a one at a time kind of beer, or better yet, split a 12 oz. bottle for dessert.

Notes: This is certainly a unique brew. I like peaches, so I enjoyed it. But if you don't care for canned peaches then watch out! I'll at least have a few bottles next holiday season.

01-08-2010 00:00:33 | More by Josievan
ElCommodoro

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a red-caramel-brown with no head. It is transparent. The smell is delightfully fruity; strong notes of peaches and apricots.
The taste is quite sensual as well, but not something I would enjoy AT ALL if a beer is what I craved. It doesn't have any kind of satisfying beer character. It is a fruit flavoured beer. It should not be considered a dunkelweizen at all even if that is what the base ale is. Shiner doesn't mislabel it as they explicitly state that it is brewed with peaches and pecans. It has a very light character and high carbonation, with ripe fruit really being the dominant character. The aftertaste is a bit odd. Very dry, but not entirely unpleasant. This is a fantastic beverage if you are in the mood for something fruity and not for a traditional beer. I can't say that enough. Good stuff, though.

12-09-2011 10:57:01 | More by ElCommodoro
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- looks medium brown, but is beautiful dark red when held up to light. Vaguely off-white head that disappears quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Lots of peach and a little bit nut.

T- Love this. Starts with loads of peach, has a very round, nutty taste in the middle, and finishes with a little citrusy-pine hops.

MF- Meh. Not bad, but a little under-carbonated to be great. If you're looking for a sweetish session brew, the mouthfeel makes this a decent choice.

Overall- this is one of my favorite beers, i look forward to it every year. I might love it less if it was available year round, but drinking a few six-packs in the winter months is a blast. Perfect for Christmas parties for BA's and beer-normies alike.

10-29-2012 04:43:15 | More by phideltashaggy
circus_cat

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours a clear dark amber to copper tone with orange hues. Poured mine into a tumbler and the head was a soapy off-white which dissipated to a thin film in about a minute. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells like peach iced tea. Not cloying, actually a bit tart on the nose. A second take gives me a bit of spiciness and just a hint of that pecan nutty malt aroma.

T: I was relieved to find that it doesn't taste quite as peachy as the nose would suggest. It's actually pretty nice. It's bready through the middle and nutty toward the end with some peach and apricot on the finish. It's a little like I'm drinking a fruitcake.

M: A bit thin but I don't think they mean it to be a big beer. It has a low ABV as well if my memory serves me right. It's very smooth and clean on the finish.

O: A decent beer. Honestly, I'll probably have it again next year. Not world-class by any means but it does give me a nice, festive, fruitcake vibe.

Sidenote: The beer definitely improves as it warms. The flavor profile gains in nuts and maltiness which does a better job of balancing the peach tartness.

12-24-2012 21:21:28 | More by circus_cat
Darkmagus82

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a light brown/mahogany color with a two finger cream-red tinted head. The head has a decent level of retention, fading to give a light level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is big of a sweet sugary smell of peach and apricot. It almost smells like a peach candy or a peach fruit roll-up. Mixed with the intense sweet and sugary fruit aroma is a little bit of spice as well.

Taste – The taste starts out of the sweet fruit that was detected in the nose. These flavors are mixed with a light wheat and roast flavor upfront. Some spice flavors soon come to the tongue with a sugary/candy flavor accompanies this to produce a spiced fruit candy flavor on the tongue. Toward the end the peach and apricot flavors surge in strength along with a slight increase in the spice and roast flavors to leave a sweet and spiced peach and apricot taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the slightly creamier side with a carbonation level that is a little on the lower side. A little more carbonation may have been nice for the sweet flavors of the brew, but with that said, the creaminess was quite good for the spice, lighter roasted flavors, and the overall smoothness of the beer.

Overall – While a little too fruity and sweet for the style, it was actually a very tasty brew. Easy to drink and one to go to from time to time.

11-18-2012 01:42:33 | More by Darkmagus82
grittybrews

Washington

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Dark nut brown pour into a pint glass with two fingers of long-lasting eggshell head. Very peachy aroma with hints of sweet buttermilk and pecan.

Moderate carbonation and a somewhat light mouthfeel. Mildly sweet caramel malt up front with biscuit, hints of peach, and a lingering trace of pecan on the finish.

Shiner nailed the "holidays in Texas" theme with the great peach and butter pecan notes on the nose, but the body/taste of the brew was nothing spectacular. However, given the flavors involved it was very drinkable!

12-07-2010 04:57:13 | More by grittybrews
Fergyx825

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: A dark brown appearance, with a large amount of head on the pour. It sticks around but does dissipate after a little while. As described via the beer's style.

Smell: a very fruity citrus smell. Smells of mango, very sweet. This smells great, i'm really excited to taste this.

Taste: a very fruity, ale taste. It does have hints of the citrus/mango taste, but it is not as sweet as it smells. Definitely something i've never had before, but i really enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: Not bad, i would drink this again.

12-07-2013 03:41:22 | More by Fergyx825
Spineypanda

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Not a bad beer, but kinda freaks me out.

Has a nice dark amber color, with a head that dissipates quickly.
Carbonation is high. Beer smells of peaches! (which is claims on the packaging)
Tastes like peaches and pecans.. freaky but somewhat tasty.
Not sure if I would buy it again or not.

11-02-2009 03:18:48 | More by Spineypanda
hookem2oo7

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I'm a big fan of any Shiner offering, and I always try the seasonal beers they release--most of the time it's just once. This is one of their better brews, and I can see myself buying many more sixers of this during the holidays. Beer looks much like their other dark offerings (Shiner Black, Dunkelweisen), smell is really peachy and fruity, nice head, good lacing. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but has good carbonation. Taste is really fruity, almost tangy, with a slight nuttiness at the end.

Great beer, one of Shiner's best in my opinion. The fruitiness was a nice surprise, would recommend this beer to anyone.

11-05-2008 03:22:58 | More by hookem2oo7
ISmith87

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

A - 3.75 - Great dark red/mahogany hue that is actually pretty clear. Thick film of off white bubbles on top.

S - 4.00 - Nice peach juice smell. Smells like candy. I like it.

T - 3.75 - The same peach comes out in the taste. But there's more of a malty character there too. Some bready notes. Actually some hop piney-ness there too that gives it a nice bite. Black licorice. Completely unique holiday beer.

M - 3.75 - light mouthfeel. Alc covered. Aftertaste is bready, peach.

O - 3.75 - Good beer. Unique in it's own way.

11-03-2013 03:40:42 | More by ISmith87