Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

This is perhaps the most unusual winter/holiday beer I've ever had the joy to drink. I am not normally a holiday beer kinda guy, but if they were all this good, I might be more inclined to try them.

Appearance: Darker than I thought it would be, with a good head that rapidly disappears. Not much for lacing.

Smell: The label says that the beer is brewed with peaches and you really can smell it! Very sweet almost sugary trait to the smell.

Taste: Peaches and pecans, thats what the beer is brewed with, and thats the taste you get. When I first tasted it I thought that someone had made a cupcake flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Not very carbonated which doesn't seem to matter as the sweet taste still has a clean finish. Maybe some carmel after tones, but thats about it.

Drinkability: Considering how sickly sweet this beer can be, you probably couldn't drink it non-stop. But that being said it is still so good that you should check it out.

Rhettbuck, Dec 26, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

Clear, dark amber/ruby/brown glowing hues. Mediocre head, 1/4 inch, dirty tan foam. Medium livelyness.

Smell is mostly of peaches, nutty malts, obviously the pecans. Sweet, fruity and some caramel tones.

Cascading fruity/flowery tastes. Juicy peaches and some melon, soft wheat middle and a nutty/caramel wheat malt finish. Surprisingly fruity, but the peach flavor is balanced and natural tasting.

Mouthfeel is light and thin. Carbonation faded quickly, wish it hadn't.

Drinkability was pretty good, considering. Pretty tasty, interesting combination of ingredients. Don't know how much I'd want one one a cold holiday night. This is way more of a summer beer. Unique and one of the few decent brews Spoetzl makes. Nice job.

SamN, Nov 03, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

wow, I was very surprised on how much i enjoyed this. Pours a dark brown-ruby colour .. stable head, covers the top like a blanket .. dark semi-sweet malt and lots of peach, fresh and burnt, nice! ... very drinkable, with just a touch of bitterness on the finish... thank god, this beer is actually really nice! .. a great beer for the weird texas winter?

Onslow, Nov 16, 2008

To: Me
From: Shiner

A- Dark translucent brown-red color with a nice bubbly head that leaves a few globs of lace

S- Fresh peaches dominate the smell. Some sweet malty smell and a hint a pecan noted at the suggestion

T- Yummy wheat malt and peaches all the way home. Grainy, roasty, sweet. Becomes nicely nutty as it warms up

M- Shiner never wows me with their "flaccid" carbonation. Moderate body with some chewy-ness

D- The added peach flavor really detracts from drinkability. However, this beer has enough character to be a delight all by itself(rather than paired with a meal)

EnojysAnyBeer, Jan 08, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

Nichts, Nov 20, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +11%

Pours to a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the drinking experiance!

Smells very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!

Taste a peachiness and a hint of the peacans or some other nut.

Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!

A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice!

LordofTime25, Nov 25, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +11%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

Prosit!

brewyou2, Nov 08, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to Deuane for picking me up a few bottles of this while out in State College. This has to be one of the coolest, retro looking bottle of beer that I've ever come across, right down to the cap. Seems like it jumped out of a time machine from the 50's. Cheers to the graphic artist(s) that designed the artwork for this beer. Poured into my nonic pint glass a clear deep brown amber color reminiscent of cream soda with barely a finger of off white foam. Smells of toasted grain and fresh sweet peaches. Tastes of creamy caramel malt, fresh peaches, and a pleasant nutty bitterness. Medium in both body and carbonation. A very tasty and different take on a holiday beer. Well done.

ClockworkOrange, Jan 22, 2009
3.92/5  rDev +10.7%

awesomo, Nov 14, 2014
3.92/5  rDev +10.7%

ChaseG12, Oct 07, 2014

brobst, Oct 31, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

Misfit138, Nov 08, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +10.2%

Picked up a single to add to my Christmas beers collection. Decided to try it when I definitely needed some holiday cheer after a crappy day at work. Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: The color is great - a beautiful deep coppery brown, kind of like Coke. Light carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Light brown, fluffy 2-finger head fades incredibly fast to a skim on the top. Not much lacing throughout, sadly.

Smell: The peaches are incredibly upfront in this brew. Kind of unique compared to the other holiday beers out there. Really nice note of caramel chewiness and a buttery, nutty scent. The bottle claims pecans, but I don't know if I could discern that from the smell. There is a hint of a metallic smell as the head fades.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The nutty, maltiness is deliciously complemented by the peaches. The sweetness is not overpowering - not saccharine-like, more subtle. There's a maple syrup-like quality to it. There's also a little spiciness, like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. The carbonation is perfect for me - very much like a soda. The mouthfeel is very light and clear for such flavors thanks to the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high thanks to the bubbles, and they help remove the stickiness typically left from a beer like this. I really enjoy the taste. Despite the peaches seeming more like a summer fruit, I think this is an excellent accompaniment to holiday celebrations.

kels, Dec 12, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark amber coloring with one finger head that dissipated slowly. Lacing apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow, what an intriguing nose. The peach tones nearly overwhelm everything. I've had beer with an apricot nose before but never a peach nose.

T & M: Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but not overly so, just slightly watery. Peach tones come through initially but do not overwhelm. Finish has a hint of pecan. Nice smooth drinking brew that I can see myself drinking throughout the holidays. Good job in not making the peach sweetness cloying.

D: Definitely drinkable, good work Spoetzl. I'm always pleased when the little brewery in Shiner cranks out a quality brew.

elniko, Nov 10, 2008

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

leakyfaucet12, Feb 15, 2010

Had on tap at the Yardhouse in Houston

A - Dark amber in color with a tan head that receded very quickly, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S - Getting a sweet peach sniff along with a very slight hint of malts.

T - Predominantly peaches with some malts and some pine on the finish. Finishes rather dry which I like. Feel like I get a little bit of slate.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry in the mouth.

O - This is not a bad beer, some would probably like to see more spiciness or malts, I like the finish being somewhat dry, the peaches aren't overpowering.

stercomm, Nov 05, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

When poured into a glass, an inch thick tan head forms over the dark brown with ruby accented body. The head fades slowly to a ring around the edge of the beer. A nice lacing forms in the glass and lasts all the way until the beer is finished.

The smell is an interesting combination of peaches, pears and nuts. There is a nice hop background to it, which really brings out the sweetness to the scent. It's not so sweet that it deters an avid beer drinker from wanting to drink it. The smell sets up the taste. A smooth combination of Malts, peaches and apricots crosses the tongue. A nice nutty finish of pecans rounds off the flavor. The flavor lingers after you've finished drinking.

This is a medium bodied beer that is light on the carbonation. It's smooth and very easy to drink.

Normally I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but this one was really enjoyable, surprisingly so actually. When I first smelled the beer and the sweetness to it, I figured it would be like drinking fruit juice mixed with beer. It was nothing like that. I found this rather enjoyable to drink.

Contagion, Dec 19, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint 1554 pint glass.

A: Pours a dark cola-like brown with a small tan head that fades to near nothing and leaves no lacing.

S: The nose is unlike any other I've ever had. Big candied fruit sweetness, malty, and a hint of peaches.

T: Taste is peaches, peaches, and more peaches with a malty backbone. It's pretty sweet and I'd like to see a bit more hops to balance this out a bit.

M: Light and refreshing with a tiny bit of creaminess from the carbonation. About par for Shiner but I'd like to see a bit more body seeing as how this is a Dunkel.

D: I could have two or maybe 3 before the sweetness got to me. I'd also buy again if only to share with friends and family.

If you see it grab at least one bottle to try. The interesting Peach component makes this pretty unique at least from a TX brewer.

GregSVT, Nov 17, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Received as one of the numerous extras in a trade with JJFoodie. Thanks!

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with twist-off cap into a snifter glass.

Pours a clear mahogany hue with a finger of light beige foam that lingers momentarily before disappearing into a thick crown that leaves no trace of itself on the walls of the glass as it fades away.

Aroma is a fruity mix of peaches, apricots, and blueberries, with a hint of underlying nuttiness and brown sugar.

A little on the light side, with a medium body and a mild carbonation. Sweet up front, with a mild maltiness that is encircled by sweet peach juice. The middle is embodied by a very dry combination of nuts and herbaceous hops, with a bit of a gritty nature that carries through into the dry, nutty finish.

Very interesting and rather drinkable, though the finish is perhaps a bit too astringent. Peaches are not the sort of fruit I generally think of when it comes to winter, though having been born and raised in The Peach State on the site of an old pecan plantation, I do very much enjoy both peaches and pecans, and the combination in a beer is pleasant, unexpected, and uncommon. Certainly recommended.

superdedooperboy, Dec 10, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

A: deep chestnut brown, thin layer of white head, minimal lacing

S: nose is all peach with hints of strawberry and vanilla in the background, very fruity, I'm amazed by how peachy this is.

T: taste feature fruitiness up front, not quite as peachy as the nose, notes of cherry and pecan come through, herbal notes on the finish

Mf: light body, mellow carbonation

O: really nice aroma, not sure how they pulled off the peach but I'm impressed. Not really getting the dunkelweizen character, but for what it is, it's tasty

homebrew311, Dec 21, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Always look forward to this coming out. First time I tried it, I was kind of like no not really, but once I got it on tap it changed my mind. If you get it in a bottle find something to pour it in as it improves as it breaths. The peach and pecan are right there in your face. Best experience with this beer was on a rooftop bar when it was snowing :)

donspublic, Oct 29, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change.

cmkendrick, Dec 07, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Red-amber with a moderate head.

Smell: The pecans come through in the aroma. Also peaches.

Taste: Peaches dominate. More specifically, canned peaches. I could swear this beer is half canned peach syrup. I don't detect much of the pecans, just a little on the finish, but that's probably because the peach aspect is so strong. This is supposedly a dunkelweizen, but there's very little wheat character.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: With such strong fruit character, this is a one at a time kind of beer, or better yet, split a 12 oz. bottle for dessert.

Notes: This is certainly a unique brew. I like peaches, so I enjoyed it. But if you don't care for canned peaches then watch out! I'll at least have a few bottles next holiday season.

Josievan, Jan 08, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a red-caramel-brown with no head. It is transparent. The smell is delightfully fruity; strong notes of peaches and apricots.
The taste is quite sensual as well, but not something I would enjoy AT ALL if a beer is what I craved. It doesn't have any kind of satisfying beer character. It is a fruit flavoured beer. It should not be considered a dunkelweizen at all even if that is what the base ale is. Shiner doesn't mislabel it as they explicitly state that it is brewed with peaches and pecans. It has a very light character and high carbonation, with ripe fruit really being the dominant character. The aftertaste is a bit odd. Very dry, but not entirely unpleasant. This is a fantastic beverage if you are in the mood for something fruity and not for a traditional beer. I can't say that enough. Good stuff, though.

ElCommodoro, Dec 09, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- looks medium brown, but is beautiful dark red when held up to light. Vaguely off-white head that disappears quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Lots of peach and a little bit nut.

T- Love this. Starts with loads of peach, has a very round, nutty taste in the middle, and finishes with a little citrusy-pine hops.

MF- Meh. Not bad, but a little under-carbonated to be great. If you're looking for a sweetish session brew, the mouthfeel makes this a decent choice.

Overall- this is one of my favorite beers, i look forward to it every year. I might love it less if it was available year round, but drinking a few six-packs in the winter months is a blast. Perfect for Christmas parties for BA's and beer-normies alike.

phideltashaggy, Oct 29, 2012