Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,365 | Reviews: 385
3.99/5  rDev +12.4%

Excellent holiday offering from Shiner. Made with pecans and peach, a great blend of sweet and nutty with a little touch of citrus. Very good to drink one, but all the flavors make it tough to drink more than that. The peach flavor is definitely a pretty unique one.

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Nice ruby amber colored appearance.

S- Can smell peaches and an overall citrus scent with a hint of hops. Kind of smells like a Capri Sun.

T- Definitely a fruit beer, but the peach taste is suprisingly not as strong as I thought it would be. Can taste some spices with a slightly hoppy finish.

M- Has a slight fruit punch feel to it, but it goes down smoothly. Not too hoppy at all.

D- Very drinkable. More drinkable than most fruit beers.

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

A: Very clear, and christmas red. One fingers worth of off white, creamy head.

S: Smells mostly of peaches, with a slight nutty hoppiness.

T: Taste is overwhelmingly peaches, like peach juice. The hop bite is the only thing that tastes like beer. Faint nut and spice in the background.

M: Thin, a bit sticky, and plenty of carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable due to thin body, carbonation, and flavour is not very robust.

To me, this is a once a year type beer. Its unique and a great beer to enjoy during the holidays, I would not probably drink this year round, even if it were available.

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

An orange/ yellow color with a slight white head. The peach comes right to the front with added smells of apricot and cherry. Very refreshing in taste with the peach being a subtle flavor that blends well. An easy drinking beer with a nice balance of flavor. I like this beer. Simple but good.

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

This is perhaps the most unusual winter/holiday beer I've ever had the joy to drink. I am not normally a holiday beer kinda guy, but if they were all this good, I might be more inclined to try them.

Appearance: Darker than I thought it would be, with a good head that rapidly disappears. Not much for lacing.

Smell: The label says that the beer is brewed with peaches and you really can smell it! Very sweet almost sugary trait to the smell.

Taste: Peaches and pecans, thats what the beer is brewed with, and thats the taste you get. When I first tasted it I thought that someone had made a cupcake flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Not very carbonated which doesn't seem to matter as the sweet taste still has a clean finish. Maybe some carmel after tones, but thats about it.

Drinkability: Considering how sickly sweet this beer can be, you probably couldn't drink it non-stop. But that being said it is still so good that you should check it out.

To: Me
From: Shiner

A- Dark translucent brown-red color with a nice bubbly head that leaves a few globs of lace

S- Fresh peaches dominate the smell. Some sweet malty smell and a hint a pecan noted at the suggestion

T- Yummy wheat malt and peaches all the way home. Grainy, roasty, sweet. Becomes nicely nutty as it warms up

M- Shiner never wows me with their "flaccid" carbonation. Moderate body with some chewy-ness

D- The added peach flavor really detracts from drinkability. However, this beer has enough character to be a delight all by itself(rather than paired with a meal)

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into an ale glass.

Appearance: Clear, tea-brown color with a thick, creamy, lacy head with staying power.

Aroma: Bright, distinctive aroma with orange and cherry flavors

Flavor: Excellent balance of malt and hops with a clove/pepper finish

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a very pleasant lingering, hoppy finish.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I'm having a difficult time describing the very distinctive, non-beer flavor. Maybe it's just the 'holiday' in the title, but it does have a yuletide feel.

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

3.96/5  rDev +11.5%

wow, I was very surprised on how much i enjoyed this. Pours a dark brown-ruby colour .. stable head, covers the top like a blanket .. dark semi-sweet malt and lots of peach, fresh and burnt, nice! ... very drinkable, with just a touch of bitterness on the finish... thank god, this beer is actually really nice! .. a great beer for the weird texas winter?

3.96/5  rDev +11.5%

Exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed it.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the beer.aroma is very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!Taste is of peaches a hint of vanilla and the roasted peacans very balanced for a fruit beer. Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!
A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice! Im going to hide one of these away for the 4th of July.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Clear, dark amber/ruby/brown glowing hues. Mediocre head, 1/4 inch, dirty tan foam. Medium livelyness.

Smell is mostly of peaches, nutty malts, obviously the pecans. Sweet, fruity and some caramel tones.

Cascading fruity/flowery tastes. Juicy peaches and some melon, soft wheat middle and a nutty/caramel wheat malt finish. Surprisingly fruity, but the peach flavor is balanced and natural tasting.

Mouthfeel is light and thin. Carbonation faded quickly, wish it hadn't.

Drinkability was pretty good, considering. Pretty tasty, interesting combination of ingredients. Don't know how much I'd want one one a cold holiday night. This is way more of a summer beer. Unique and one of the few decent brews Spoetzl makes. Nice job.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Strong, malty aroma has a firm overtone of peach, sweet and tempting but not too sweet. Got a nutty hint, no doubt from the pecans. Pours a clear sienna with a fairly thick buff head. Peach dominates the flavor, but does not overwhelm the malty, nutty, earthy and hoppy notes - hop bitterness nicely balances the sweetness from the peaches. Texture has average body and plenty of lively fizz. Anytime is the season for good beer!

3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours to a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the drinking experiance!

Smells very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!

Taste a peachiness and a hint of the peacans or some other nut.

Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!

A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice!

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again.

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

Prosit!

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to Deuane for picking me up a few bottles of this while out in State College. This has to be one of the coolest, retro looking bottle of beer that I've ever come across, right down to the cap. Seems like it jumped out of a time machine from the 50's. Cheers to the graphic artist(s) that designed the artwork for this beer. Poured into my nonic pint glass a clear deep brown amber color reminiscent of cream soda with barely a finger of off white foam. Smells of toasted grain and fresh sweet peaches. Tastes of creamy caramel malt, fresh peaches, and a pleasant nutty bitterness. Medium in both body and carbonation. A very tasty and different take on a holiday beer. Well done.

3.89/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice winter option. Good alternative to the typical dark Winter Warmers.

3.89/5  rDev +9.6%

A: deep chestnut brown, thin layer of white head, minimal lacing

S: nose is all peach with hints of strawberry and vanilla in the background, very fruity, I'm amazed by how peachy this is.

T: taste feature fruitiness up front, not quite as peachy as the nose, notes of cherry and pecan come through, herbal notes on the finish

Mf: light body, mellow carbonation

O: really nice aroma, not sure how they pulled off the peach but I'm impressed. Not really getting the dunkelweizen character, but for what it is, it's tasty

3.89/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Although it's meant as a holiday drink, I can imagine drinking it in the summer also. The fruitiness is not too sweet. I can discern the caramel or dark wheat but not so much the nutty flavors in the description. Strong aftertaste on the tongue. The texture is like a light beer with a hint of bubbles. Easy to enjoy.

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark amber coloring with one finger head that dissipated slowly. Lacing apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow, what an intriguing nose. The peach tones nearly overwhelm everything. I've had beer with an apricot nose before but never a peach nose.

T & M: Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but not overly so, just slightly watery. Peach tones come through initially but do not overwhelm. Finish has a hint of pecan. Nice smooth drinking brew that I can see myself drinking throughout the holidays. Good job in not making the peach sweetness cloying.

D: Definitely drinkable, good work Spoetzl. I'm always pleased when the little brewery in Shiner cranks out a quality brew.

3.87/5  rDev +9%

Picked up a single to add to my Christmas beers collection. Decided to try it when I definitely needed some holiday cheer after a crappy day at work. Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: The color is great - a beautiful deep coppery brown, kind of like Coke. Light carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Light brown, fluffy 2-finger head fades incredibly fast to a skim on the top. Not much lacing throughout, sadly.

Smell: The peaches are incredibly upfront in this brew. Kind of unique compared to the other holiday beers out there. Really nice note of caramel chewiness and a buttery, nutty scent. The bottle claims pecans, but I don't know if I could discern that from the smell. There is a hint of a metallic smell as the head fades.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The nutty, maltiness is deliciously complemented by the peaches. The sweetness is not overpowering - not saccharine-like, more subtle. There's a maple syrup-like quality to it. There's also a little spiciness, like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. The carbonation is perfect for me - very much like a soda. The mouthfeel is very light and clear for such flavors thanks to the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high thanks to the bubbles, and they help remove the stickiness typically left from a beer like this. I really enjoy the taste. Despite the peaches seeming more like a summer fruit, I think this is an excellent accompaniment to holiday celebrations.

3.87/5  rDev +9%

When poured into a glass, an inch thick tan head forms over the dark brown with ruby accented body. The head fades slowly to a ring around the edge of the beer. A nice lacing forms in the glass and lasts all the way until the beer is finished.

The smell is an interesting combination of peaches, pears and nuts. There is a nice hop background to it, which really brings out the sweetness to the scent. It's not so sweet that it deters an avid beer drinker from wanting to drink it. The smell sets up the taste. A smooth combination of Malts, peaches and apricots crosses the tongue. A nice nutty finish of pecans rounds off the flavor. The flavor lingers after you've finished drinking.

This is a medium bodied beer that is light on the carbonation. It's smooth and very easy to drink.

Normally I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but this one was really enjoyable, surprisingly so actually. When I first smelled the beer and the sweetness to it, I figured it would be like drinking fruit juice mixed with beer. It was nothing like that. I found this rather enjoyable to drink.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner