Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a standard pint glass a dark ruby with a thin diminishing head that leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is very mild caramel and sweet fruit. The taste is an interesting blend of sweet fruits, caramel and mild spice. The beer is quite light but seems a bit undercarbonated. This one was worth trying, but I can't see myself drinking it again.

3.37/5  rDev -5.3%

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%

Bought a six pack of Cheer over the holidays. Probably my second favorite Shiner after Ruby Redbird. Let's give this a whirl on a BA review. Poured a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours with a nice off-white head... as long as I pour it as vigorously as possible. The body is wonderfully clear, though. Nice clean amber color. Maybe a bit too clean for a solid beer... but that's not a truly valid complaint. Decent stuff.

The nose has a sweet tang to it to start. Must be the peaches. There's also a unique nuttiness that rolls with it. I'd give it a higher score, but this bottle has a slight putrid aroma to go along with those two awesome components.

The beer isn't putrid, it's interesting. Very sweet and peachy. The caramel malts come through, too. The nuttiness is fatty and rounded. It makes for a nice aftertaste. I don't get any of the characteristic Shiner metallic flavor in this... so huzzah! Still, I wish the beer would jump a bit more with these flavors. Can someone else make this beer?

I have a Texas license, but I'm not a Texan. Maybe that explains why I don't love Shiner. It's better than the standard AAL... and this is completely unique and better than the Bock... but Shiner still isn't great in my book.

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: Deep mahogany with a stunning amber highlights and a creamy, craggy head that leaves wonderful lacing. This is a very pretty beer.

Aroma: Sweet peach, like that of peach yogurt, masks just about all other aromas. There's some beer down there if you keep sniffing, but you have to pull a lot of peach aside.

Taste: Luckily, this isn't the sugary peach yogurt beer that the aroma warned of. Instead, you find a complex, if a little thin, malty body with decent bitterness in the finish. I'm not sure if it's roasted pecan I'm getting necessarily, but the beer does has a pleasing nuttiness. Peach is certainly here, and in full force, but it compliments the beer instead of smothering it. I would never have thought of a peach infused Dunkelweizen (at least while sober), but it works. While it may taste a little thin in the mouth, the aftertaste is quite nutty and hangs with you for a while.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a slick, oily feel that coats your mouth. A bit fizzier than I prefer, but it doesn't spoil the beer.

Drinkability: Provided you don't hate peaches, this is an easy beer to drink. It goes down smooth and tastes pretty damn good.

Verdict: Between this and Shiner Dunkelweizen, it's no contest: Holiday Cheer just doesn't measure up. But that's not a fair way to rate the beer. Viewed objectively, this is a nice middle-of-the-road Dunkelweizen with an interesting splash of Peach. It fits well into Shiner's portfolio of beers stuck in a bizarre purgatory between macro and micro. I'm still not sure what peach has to do with Christmas, but I'm willing to look past that here.

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours a deep dark mahogany brown with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly leaving behind a thin collar and a good deal of lacing upon the surface of the beer. This is a very clean and clear looking dunkle.

S- There's a strong wheaty nuttiness to the aroma that I can only guess is the pecans blending in with the natural aromas from the dunkleweizen. There is some faint peach in the finish that is similar to the aroma of peach tea. Some brown sugar notes as well.

T- There is a nice wheat maltiness up front with some strong pecan notes. The malts are followed immediately by a sweet peach flavor that is once again somewhat similar to peach tea. The finish consists of a slightly malty wheatiness similar to many dunkles with some brown sugar notes added in. Peach is definitely the most pronounced flavor throughout the whole beer.

M- Lighter bodied with a good deal fo carbonation despite the poor display of head retention,. Crisp with a somewhat prickly carbonation.

O- This is an incredibly unique and funky take on a Christmas beer, or even a dunklewizen in general. Indeed, this is the most unique dunkleweizen I have ever had. Maybe it's a "Texas" thing, but nothing about this beer really says "Christmas" to me. For this reason I find it funny when people tell me that this beer is a bad "winter warmer". OF course it's a bad winter warmer, because it's NOT ONE. The disappointing thing about this beer is that it is really not sessionalbe (at least for me). This is more of a 1 and done kind of beer which is really unfitting considering how low of an ABV it has. Still, kudos on your creativity shiner and making a beer that slightly stands out from the rest during the holiday season.

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a medium dark red with brown notes. 2-finger head quickly disappears. Laces well, though. Color is good, but a little too clear for my liking.

Sweet, bready nose. Molasses and weak caramel round things out. Weak overall, but not bad.

Slightly bland hit on the tongue turns instantly sweet. Caramel totally dominates. Very chewy considering the light appearance. Decent hop bite on the back end, but the caramel domination nearly blocks that out.

Not a bad drinker, but really one is enough. A little two sweet and filling to drink more than one.

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

For some reason Shiner is everywhere in California, and for cheap, me likey. Sad thing is that I am not so much a fan of this beer. To be true to the BA code, I am supposed to compare this to a dunkelweiss, but I can't because this is a stretch. Comparing this to the other winter beers, this one was a bit much on the "drinking a cake" thing. Yes you get a pecan flavor and peaches, but really, not the best in a beer. poured dark, little head, sweet candy taste. Overall, this was ok, not bad, they did explain the beer on the bottle and it tasted like it said.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a Devil's Backbone weizen glass.

Thanks to JJFoodie for this bottle!

A tad tardy for "holiday cheer", strictly speaking, but who's counting? It pours a clear amber garnet topped by a somewhat short-lived finger of tan foam. The nose comprises cranberry sauce, maple syrup, peaches, brown sugar, sweet flowers, and a touch of miscellaneous grains. The taste brings some darker wheat to the table, along with the advertised pecans in some decent abundance. Meanwhile, the rest of the smell's constituency returns, the fruit (and I'm including the cranberries in this group) clashing with the pecans in a strange and not altogether good or bad way. A toasted biscuit factor is introduced as well, adding to the already cluttered complexity. As far as the flavors go, the sum of the parts suffers from too many disparate parts that don't quite synergize all that well together (some do with others, but it's clear the office is not moving forward in a unified manner). The body is a nice medium, with a light carbonation and a decently smooth and easy-going feel. Overall, a good idea on paper didn't translate too well in practice, but, given the circumstances, things could have gone much, much worse.

Shiner Holiday Cheer
*brewery established 1909

LOOK: Pours a light brown color. Good clarity, with a soapy white head providing some lace.

SMELL: Peach and wheat, caramel and brown sugar.

TASTE: Opens up malty and full of peach, giving way to a nutty flavor from the pecans endorsed on the label. Bright peach flavor tempered by ample hops and dry wheat. Juicy fruit and even citrus notes. Toasted malt but falls a bit short, would love it to be more robust. More pecan would help as well. As is, it's still tasty.

FEEL: Medium bodied, well carbonated, fruity aftertaste.

OVERALL: A decent holiday beer, with a major peach influence. The flavor is genuine and everything more or less works. A bit light and confused, but still quite drinkable.

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a very reddish brown color. Tan thin head disappears quickly.

Well, the label says brewed with peaches and pecans and you get tons of peach on the nose. And it's a real peach smell too, not the kind in gummy candy. There's also some farm stinkiness and sugar.

The peach flavor is up front and dominates the beers. The back end is where Shiner loses me a tad. The bitterness isn't well balanced and the previously pleasant peach flavor is just too much.

A nice surprise and a totally different kind of Holiday beer from Shiner.

3.31/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Spoetzl Brewery's Shiner Holiday Cheer a couple weeks ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I thought I should give this years release a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice retro Christmas look to it. It poured a fairly clear redish dark amber color that took on a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and half of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer and I liked the color of it.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by big fruity aroma with some cranberry and other fruity aroma coming through with peaches seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a nice creamy aroma that mixes with the fruity aspect to make for an aroma that reminds me of those fruit and cream candies. It kind of reminds me of Short's peaches and cream. The aroma is decent, but it isn't very beer like and I don't pick up any Dunkelweizen like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of peach flavors with some other fruity flavors in the background. Up next comes that same creamy aspect that I got in the aroma and it makes for that same cream and fruit candy like aspect. Up next comes some light malty and grainy flavors with a somewhat lighter amount of bitterness with a creamy and peach like aftertaste. The taste isn't bad, but just like the aroma it's not very Dunkelweizen.

M- Smooth. crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I didn't think it was a good example of a Dunkelweizen since none of the aspects that I look for in the style came through, if they were there they were pretty much covered up by the creamy peach flavors and with how much the peach flavors stick out I think this would be better classified as a Fruit Beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, I thought they were both nice and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the how dominating the creamy peach flavors were, they weren't bad, but I thought they were too overpowering. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't seek it out and I don't think I would really recommend it unless you really like Peach flavored beers. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Shiner is usually pretty solid, but this beer seemed a little too unbalanced and artificial for my taste. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little bit of work.

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%

12oz bottle acquired in trade with lb4lb - Thanks!

Poured a medium reddish-brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of peaches and some roasted nuttiness. The nuts were in the background at first, but came out more as I drank. Tastes of peaches, nuts, and caramel. Medium sweet. Lots of Peaches.

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours chestnut brown, tan head.
Smell is all peaches, no trace of any weizen. Smells like a can of peaches in syrup.
The peach taste starts things out but the finish and is the dull American wheat beer taste.
This would be much better with the more of the banana taste of a decent dunkel weizen to go along with the peach sweetness.

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Interesting beer. "Brewed with pecans, peaches, natural flavor and caramel color". Aroma is of faint peach and malty sweetness. Flavor has the malty taste and a hint of fresh peaches. Decent mouthfeel. Goes down well and leaves a little pecan flavor at the end. Getting a little of that weird dry feeling that you sometimes get when eating fresh pecans, maybe its just me. Overall, pretty well balanced and a nice change from the overly dry spiced beers that are abundant around the holidays !

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A. It has a redish brown head. Dark but you can see through it. Some bubbles from the middle. A good head and some lacing after.

S. It is extremely fruity. I'd say strong cherry malt.

T/M. It has a very sweet taste. The cherry definitely comes through. There's a bit of raspberry tartness there. Combined it tastes like bubble gum with malts and not bite.

O. Not enough spice for a holiday brew. But not bad at all.

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: This beer pours a nice rich reddish brown color. Even when vigorously pouring I cannot get even 1/2 finger head out of this beer. There is minimal lacing.

S: This beer smells distinctly of pecan, peaches, and brown sugar. Smells absolutely delicious!

T: I sure wish it tasted more like it smelled. The smell is deceiving of what is the come from the taste. I expected more peach, pecan, and sweetness, but instead was greeted by too many hops, with mild sweetness in the background that didn't blend well with the hops.

M: Pretty standard for a Shiner beer. Low carbonation, pretty slick and thin on the mouth. Needed to be thicker in my opinion.

D: I wouldn't want more than one of these at a time, but my wife and I dispatched of a 12 pack in about 3 weeks.

Overall I loved the smell of this beer, but the taste did not match it. For me that killed the experience a little bit. If they added some sugar to increase sweetness and found a way to make that nutty pecan smell come through in the taste this beer would be downright awesome.

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

Holiday Cheer pours a darker, burgundy color. It's clear, and looks deep red with light behind it. I like the color. I was expecting a little haze, being a Dunkelweizen and all. Eh. The head is vanilla colored and only rises to a finger or so in depth before falling quickly. Lacing was definitely on the light side. Not bad.

The nose is rather average. It's fruity up front and features a nice peach scent. It's a little grainy and earthy. Where are the spices? No clove? Nothing? Hmmm. It does feature a light malty scent. Smells a little caramel-esque to me. Yeast is a little noticeable. It needs work. There's just not much going on...besides peach fruitiness.

The flavor may be a notch better. I haven't quite made up my mind. It does have a rather strong peach presence throughout. It's not altogether bad. There might be some light spices, but it's tough to tell. The peach flavor might mask a few things. A bit of a grainy flavor is noted throughout. I'm not appreciating a nutty presence at all. Maybe it's just me. It's a little malty and sweet. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Finishes peachy and sweet. It tastes alright. Better than it smells.

The body is light. Carbonation seems mid-range. There's not enough here to feel smooth, but it isn't a train wreck. Drinkability is rather average. I don't mind a bottle, but the flavor grows a little tiresome. There's just not quite enough flavor there to entertain for multiple bottles. For what it's worth, it goes down easy enough.

Spoetzl Brewery could really improve Holiday Cheer with just a little effort. It'd improve easily with a little less peach, and a little more spice and body. It's just okay. Probably worth a try if you're compelled. But, stick with a single or bottle or two. A six pack seems like a stretch.

Reviewed 11/22/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear dark brown-reddish color body. Big cream colored head, somewhat diminishing. Strong aroma of peaches, some dark malts. Almost like an acidic aroma. Peachy, pecany taste, medium body. Tasty, peachy aftertaste. Nice grainy taste, maybe wheat or something. Nice fruity taste from the peaches. Somewhat carbonated.

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

Lucent reddish orange with bright orange trim. It's hard to be impressed by any beer that uses artificial caramel color (although maybe other breweries just don't admit it). The khaki colored cap looks decent enough, but doesn't do a very a good job of decorating the glass.

Texas peaches and roasted pecans are odd choices of ingredients to add to a holiday ale. That design decision could either succeed admirably or fail miserably. The aroma is pretty much wall-to-wall peachiness and smells nothing like a dunkelweizen. It's a good, natural scent (if you like peaches), but it makes the beer too one-dimensional.

The flavor isn't quite as fruit-dominant, making Holiday Cheer taste more like the peachy dunkelweizen the brewers were aiming for. Some might disagree, but this combination of dark wheat and fruit isn't one that floats my boat. About half as much peachiness would have been better.

It isn't easy to appreciate the roasted pecans. The beer is no more nutty (it's actually less nutty) than most brown ales. Again, peaches are too prominent, which tends to steamroll over any complexities that might have been present. A good sweet-bitter balance keeps it reasonably drinkable... if you enjoy the flavor. 22 IBUs contribute a minor nip on the finish.

Considering the 5.4% ABV, the mouthfeel isn't too bad. It's light without being watery and stops well short of being too abundantly bubbled. Call me crazy, but a holiday beer should be bulkier than this. Then again, Texas doesn't have a *real* winter.

Shiner Holiday Cheer is a unique beer that gets points for originality. On the other hand, only peachophiles will love it. Since I'm not one, I don't. Here's hoping the boys at Spoetzl come up with something completely different this coming holiday season.

3.27/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a medium reddish brown color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains peaches, spices, wheat, caramelized malts and a faint touch of hops, but it’s mostly the peaches.

T: The taste likewise starts out sweet burst of peach flavor that is quickly followed by flavors of caramel, nuts and spices. Then some breadiness comes in from wheat and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. The hops presence is very mild but brings a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, not the best representation of style, if you’re into the peach flavor it’s a decent beer, otherwise it’s just mediocre at best.

3.27/5  rDev -8.1%

I wasn't going to spend the time reviewing this beer until I read that it was brewed with peaches and pecans. So...

A: Forms a nice head that sticks around. Quite dark in color, but the fact that they mentioned the addition of caramel color makes it feel like their cheating.

S: Sure enough - dominant peachy smell, with butty, bready underlayers.

T: Peachy keen. Somewhat sour, and malty flavors, but they fade pretty quickly, and there's not much finish to it.

M: Almost creamy, but tends toward watery. Somewhat insufficient carbonation. Not terrible, but nothing great.

D: The peach flavor is novel, but I'm not compelled to have more. I'll add the bottle to my Christmas collection, but I'm think I'm pretty much done.

3.26/5  rDev -8.4%

This is an odd duck.

Orange color, with a decently looking tan foam. Not much lacing, although the head retains its shape alright. The nose is quite peachy, to the exclusion of any other ingredients.

Dark wheat and peaches rule the flavor. The natural nuttiness of the brown ale style rolls over in deference to the more powerful flavors of fruit, so the pecans don't add much to me. I find the peach overbearing, and a confusing style choice.

Solid mouthfeel, nice and light, and I found it easy to drink without loving the flavor. Very interesting and unusual, but far from up my alley.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery