Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,355 | Reviews: 380
3.27/5  rDev -8.1%

I wasn't going to spend the time reviewing this beer until I read that it was brewed with peaches and pecans. So...

A: Forms a nice head that sticks around. Quite dark in color, but the fact that they mentioned the addition of caramel color makes it feel like their cheating.

S: Sure enough - dominant peachy smell, with butty, bready underlayers.

T: Peachy keen. Somewhat sour, and malty flavors, but they fade pretty quickly, and there's not much finish to it.

M: Almost creamy, but tends toward watery. Somewhat insufficient carbonation. Not terrible, but nothing great.

D: The peach flavor is novel, but I'm not compelled to have more. I'll add the bottle to my Christmas collection, but I'm think I'm pretty much done.

3.26/5  rDev -8.4%

This is an odd duck.

Orange color, with a decently looking tan foam. Not much lacing, although the head retains its shape alright. The nose is quite peachy, to the exclusion of any other ingredients.

Dark wheat and peaches rule the flavor. The natural nuttiness of the brown ale style rolls over in deference to the more powerful flavors of fruit, so the pecans don't add much to me. I find the peach overbearing, and a confusing style choice.

Solid mouthfeel, nice and light, and I found it easy to drink without loving the flavor. Very interesting and unusual, but far from up my alley.

3.26/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured clear dark amber with frothy tan head. Sticky to the glass. Slow moving head.

Peaches are all I smell. Weird.

Taste is pleasant, surprisingly. Peaches do not dominate the taste as they do the smell. Spices are subtle. Malts are subtle. Hops are very subtle. Peaches are subtle. Nothing stands out, which is probably just as well.

Mouth is moderate fizzy, creating a nice cream finish.

I'm usually not a fan of Holiday spiced ales. They are mostly over the top with artificial flavors; however, this one dispite its weird smell is quite nice. I could do a couple of these during the holidays or any other days. It would be nice with a slice of pecan pie. Which reminds me....I did't even notice the pecans!

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

With a deep crystal clear garnet hue supporting a beige creamy head this beer has a strong perfumy peach aroma that comes though more on the exhale. The flavor has a crisp light roasted bitter note and some soft nutty notes to follow. The dry peach note in the finish is a bit artificial. This is a mellow soft flavored beer but the peach flavor is a bit odd and dominates the flavor.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

I am a sucker for seasonal and holiday release beers so I grabbed this one as a single for $1.60 at one of my beer stores.

A- Dark copper, kind of fizzy looking.
S- Thin smell of mostly peaches.
T- Peaches again, and some other fruity flavors. I don't get much pecan, some wheat malt in there too.
M- Medium bodied, pretty fizzy.
D- I'm glad I only bought one but it was pretty enjoyable.

Interesting take on a holiday beer. I took my first smell and sip expecting the holiday spice cabinet as I had not yet read the label and found the peach flavor to be a nice change from the usual holiday beers.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery