Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,407
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A- very clear dark ruby body with a cream colored head.

N - wow really sweet. But not malt sweetness... it's peachy and pecany. Maybe a bit yeasty.

T - peaches and pecans dominate. The standard dunkel notes are there but rather diluted. Maybe. Some winter spices?

M - slick. There's decent carbonation and it's fine.

O - different and not bad but I doubt I would buy a sixer or a pint. Cheers.

3.27/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a medium reddish brown color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains peaches, spices, wheat, caramelized malts and a faint touch of hops, but it’s mostly the peaches.

T: The taste likewise starts out sweet burst of peach flavor that is quickly followed by flavors of caramel, nuts and spices. Then some breadiness comes in from wheat and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. The hops presence is very mild but brings a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, not the best representation of style, if you’re into the peach flavor it’s a decent beer, otherwise it’s just mediocre at best.

3.89/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Although it's meant as a holiday drink, I can imagine drinking it in the summer also. The fruitiness is not too sweet. I can discern the caramel or dark wheat but not so much the nutty flavors in the description. Strong aftertaste on the tongue. The texture is like a light beer with a hint of bubbles. Easy to enjoy.

3.81/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I liked this beer a lot. Good peach flavor that seems to be missing in most peach beers. The brownish color caught me by surprise. Head did not last and no lacing to speak of. Smell is pure peach. The taste is peach on the front and a sweet nutty taste on the back. Smooth, easy drinking beer. Pleasantly surprised with this offering from Shiner. My favorite from this brewery to date.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

With a deep crystal clear garnet hue supporting a beige creamy head this beer has a strong perfumy peach aroma that comes though more on the exhale. The flavor has a crisp light roasted bitter note and some soft nutty notes to follow. The dry peach note in the finish is a bit artificial. This is a mellow soft flavored beer but the peach flavor is a bit odd and dominates the flavor.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep brownish amber with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of beige head which settles into a thin layer.

Smell: A toasty and very fruity malt forward aroma with big hints of peach, toast, and nuts. Toasted malt with hints of wheat, straw, biscuit, grains, toast, pecan nuts, caramel, and yeast. Big scent of peach fruit that really stands out. Also some hints of sugar. A pretty interesting and solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a very fruit forward and wheat malt driven taste with notes of peach, pecan, and toast. Toasted malt with some notes of wheat, straw, grains, toast, biscuit, pecan nuts, caramel, and yeast. Sweet taste of peach juice throughout. Sweet notes of sugar. Hops are very light. A pretty nice taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, juicy, and very smooth.

Overall: A pretty solid twist on a Dunkel. Really nice peach flavor that is sweet but far from cloying.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

I don't taste much difference between this and their regular flagship brew, and that's pretty okay with me. They're both solid beers and this one fits in line with many holiday beers in that it's safe; it's not going to knock your socks off, but it's not bad at all.

3.43/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet and full of peaches. Taste is peaches, sweet, a bit of grains, not what I expected from this style, but not bad. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass
Appearance: pours a 2"+ sudsy head that falls slowly with some mild lacing. Color is a mostly clear reddish-brown. Some mild carbonation streams are visible.
Aroma: peaches are dominate, but also a bit of wheat grass, caramel and lightly toasted bread. Mouthfeel: light bodied, fairly crisp with a dry finish.
Flavor: interesting combination of wheat, caramel, sweet barley, peaches and roasted pecans. There is a mild hop bite in the finish.
Overall: extremely good as far as flavored/fruit beers go. The first pecan beer I can recall having where I can actually taste the pecan flavor. Well done Shiner!

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

I had this poured into a pint glass, my first review of a Shiner offering. The color is nice and inviting, a warm copper brown. The taste..well it's super fruity. Like very fruity. I like dunkelweizens in general, but this might have been a bit too much peach. I could have one of these around the holidays each year, but probably not more than that.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Interesting taste, with a fruity zing. Had to read about it here to figure out the fruit was peach, underlaid with pecans. The comparison to fruitcake is apt, but in a good way: doesn't taste stale or dull by any means. Enjoyed it very much last night as a complement to Texas bar-b-q at "The County Line on the Lake" in Austin.

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Flavors are toasted malt, dark chocolate, and light cherry--peaches come out as it warms. This one is a nice malty holiday treat. Not traditional for the style, but a good beer.

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Clear red colored beer with a small light brown colored head.

Smells of candied ginger and malt. Smell some brown sugar and spruce tree. Lesser scent of blackberry and some eucalyptus tree.

Starts out malty and a little sweet with a taste of dried fruit. Weird flavor I can only describe as licorice.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a weird beer that I wouldn't want a six pack of.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Sweet with the perfect amount of dry bitterness I love. You can taste the pecans, not so much the peaches. I love almost all of the shiner offerings, but yet will tell hold nothing back just cause I'm from Texas. I feel like it could use just a little move uph but that's just me.but over all a decent beer for 10 a sixxer.

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

I first got this beer in 2012, before I really started drinking craft beer, and I just loved it. I drank a bunch of it that season, and when it came out in 2013, I grabbed some right away, and took it back to Georgia to share with my family.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for it as much last year. It was ok, but I only got a bare hint of the peaches and pecans, it didn't seem to have the balance, and there was a slight aftertaste that I didn't care for.

So, I was really pleased with the release this year. I got a 12-pack in cans, and it's right back where I remembered it from two years ago. Nice malt base, the peaches and pecans are back with the nice balance between the sweetness and the hops. I don't know if the bottles I got last year were just an off case, but they were sealed in a cardboard box, so they should have been okay.

Anyway, get this in cans if available, and enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!

4.09/5  rDev +16.2%

Finally, a holiday brew that isn't the same old amber with "holiday" spices. If I want to taste pumpkin I'll eat pumpkin pie. This beer brings out the holiday spirit with peaches and pecans. A real nice combo. It's not too heavy so you will enjoy a few. Clean aftertaste. Happy holidays to you.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

A shiner beer I really like. The pour was a straw yellow with a good head. The smell had peach and pecan but also what smelled like Belgian wheat which gives off a banana scent. The taste was nice with heavy notes such as bread and pecans in the beginning and mellowing out with the semi-sweet peach coming through on the finish. Very enjoyable.

3.29/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Interesting beer. "Brewed with pecans, peaches, natural flavor and caramel color". Aroma is of faint peach and malty sweetness. Flavor has the malty taste and a hint of fresh peaches. Decent mouthfeel. Goes down well and leaves a little pecan flavor at the end. Getting a little of that weird dry feeling that you sometimes get when eating fresh pecans, maybe its just me. Overall, pretty well balanced and a nice change from the overly dry spiced beers that are abundant around the holidays !

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

Visual: This beer has a golden-caramel color. It's exactly what I would expect a Christmas beer to look like.

Scent: The aroma of peaches overpowers the other scents of this beer. After reading that roasted pecans play a role in this beer, only then did I noticed the pecans.

Flavor: Peaches, peaches, and more peaches. The peach flavor is really what makes this beer, but it actually is very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Easily the easiest beer to go down thus far. Even a non-beer drinker would enjoy this beer.

Overall: I was slightly hesitant to try a cheer beer, but after tasting it, it opened up a whole new range of possibilities in the future. In other words, I was pleasantly surprised, and I would recommend. I drank this beer after a cold night run while I was taking a hot shower. There's not many better feelings than that.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

A odd beer that I spotted at publix after work, after noticing that their where a few other holiday beers already on the shelves.

Ive never really had anything that good from shiner, but the use of peaches and pecans really seems pretty crazy, so I had to try it.

Oddly enough it works. The mix of dunklewisen, peaches, and pecans give this beer a excellent buttery/toffee smell that is very festive.

The beer itself is very rich, buttery, and nutty all at the same time. A great purchase.

I might even pick up another 6 pack..........Hell it was on sale.

It might even be the best holiday beer I try this season (it was better than a pumpkin stout I picked already)
Give it a shot!

3.03/5  rDev -13.9%

Served from the bottle into a wheat beer glass. The first of my 2014 Twelve Beers of Christmas.

A- Poured a very dark and clear reddish brown color with visible carbonation, off-white soapy head dissipated quickly and left no lace.

S- Lots of sweet and syrupy peach notes, some toasted malts, and nutty notes.

T- Dominant notes of very sweet and artificial peach, almost like a peach syrup. There are also some sweet bread, light pecan notes, and light spices.

M-Medium body, low carbonation, and slightly watery finish.

O- The descriptions of this beer sounded very intriguing, but the peach flavor is a bit cloying and very artificial tasting. The pecan flavor was very subtle and pleasant. It is certainly a one-of-a-kind beer for the season that lacks the usual holiday spices, but still manages to evoke the season.

4.01/5  rDev +13.9%

Shiner Holiday Cheer
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "325 13 A-1P 08:32" (I have no idea what that means or how fresh it is. I hope that's not the 325th day of 2013!)
$1.83 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Who would have expected a dunkelweizen to be the holiday beer from a brewery in Texas? Well that makes perfect sense given the long history of German-immigrant brewers in Texas, and that of the Spoetzl Brewery as well (since 1909). Of course, there's really nothing traditional about this beer either as it's brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans as well!

It doesn't exactly look like a "Bavarian-style dark wheat" considering that it's quite clear (I guess it's a kristalweiss), and it has a pretty standard sized head of yellowed khaki. With that said, it's medium-light in body with a fairly moderate carbonation that leaves it silky smooth across the tongue. It looks to me like a Munich dunker, or a dark Vienna lager, but it doesn't matter anyway because once you get to the taste you'll realize that the designation doesn't matter, this is a beer that doesn't really fit any style category.

You can smell the peach in the nose. It's juicy and bright, and it appears in the flavor as well, but not all of the time. Each sip gives you a little bit of a different take on it, sometimes revealing more of the pecan, sometimes more of the malt, and sometimes more of that great peach flavor (probably depending on how much you bring into your mouth, and how long you let it sit before swallowing it). It finishes dry with a toasty, ashen edge.

It's unique, and you've got to give them credit for originality. Additionally, I feel all of the components work together, and stand out at least a little bit on their own. It's balanced by a firm bitterness, and it's pretty nicely polished. It's certainly worth trying!

3.41/5  rDev -3.1%

Yay! Holiday!

A : Pours a two fingered fluffy head, brown cranberry body. 3.75/5.

S : wet smells, like a wet towel, with cling peaches and spice. Aroma is faint though. 3.5/5.

T : pecan. Nutmeg. Faint Peach Pie with spices. Malted barley. Hop at the end. Pretty good cornucopia. 3.75/5.

M : lightly creamy, carbonated. Ends nippy and tart. 3.25/5.

O : I'd have it again, but i probably wouldn't buy it again. Nice change of pace. 3.41/5.

3.8/5  rDev +8%

I was prepared to be disappointed, since their bock, the only other Shiner beer I've had, is a poor example of that style. But I was pleasantly surprised with this one. And, for the price, (a little more than 2 dollars for a 24 oz bottle), it is one of the tastiest beers I've had. After guzzling this one, I'm going back for more.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner