Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,365 | Reviews: 385
2.82/5  rDev -20.6%

This brew pours well for a strong two finger thick light tan head. The body is dark ruby red in color, and is not hazy at all.

In the aroma and taste, there are spices, cherry, and light hints of vanilla. There is an odd sour milk like note here too.

Feel wise it's medium in body, with a slight crisp wetting to the palate type of quality.

Wrongfully labeled a dunkelweizen, this beer would not hold up to that style. Anyhow, I read they placed peach juice and pecans into this brew after the review. I think the peach juice is what kind of gives off the sour milk aroma and taste. I'd say take the crap out and see how this brew tastes then.

3.17/5  rDev -10.7%

This holiday beer has a distinct nutty and peachy smell/taste. Although sometimes it comes off smelling like popcorn... don't know if that's just me. Finishes smooth. Nothing special about the color or head features and came off a little flat... but that may have been the tap that it came from. Could use a little more hops, very strong malty flavors with a fruity/nutty aftertaste.

3.99/5  rDev +12.4%

Excellent holiday offering from Shiner. Made with pecans and peach, a great blend of sweet and nutty with a little touch of citrus. Very good to drink one, but all the flavors make it tough to drink more than that. The peach flavor is definitely a pretty unique one.

3.87/5  rDev +9%

Dark nut brown pour into a pint glass with two fingers of long-lasting eggshell head. Very peachy aroma with hints of sweet buttermilk and pecan.

Moderate carbonation and a somewhat light mouthfeel. Mildly sweet caramel malt up front with biscuit, hints of peach, and a lingering trace of pecan on the finish.

Shiner nailed the "holidays in Texas" theme with the great peach and butter pecan notes on the nose, but the body/taste of the brew was nothing spectacular. However, given the flavors involved it was very drinkable!

3.15/5  rDev -11.3%

Oddly refreshing for a Christmas Beer to showcase the fruit of peaches, which makes sense in the regions where those fruits are in season during the holidays.

Aromas of peach are obvious stand outs, far above the grainy/malty elements of mild toast and caramel. Nutty notes arise but only in moderate fashion; for a beer that boasts the additions of pecans, I would have expected more. Regardless, the peaches dominate.

Pouring a crystal-clear, dark amber hue, the beer has crimson highlights while carrying a part-froath, part-creamy head. The beer settles into a light sheet across the surface before holding firm.

Flavors are more balanced than the nose. Sure, roasted peaches are a mainstay, but are tempered by grainy sweetness, spice, toffee, and roasted nuts (pecans, I'd say). Where the depth and complexity of Dunkelweizens is needed, the beer instead delivers a one-dimentional fruity (peach) taste while the flavor of toasted grain husks leaves the finish a bit bitey.

Medium creaminess fades fast into a weakening mid palate. There's no real reprieve as the beer further falls into a woodsy, astringent feel late.

I rather enjoy the notion of peaches added to a beer like Dunkelweizen, but only if the subtle complexities of the base beer can be read, and not dominated by such a finess type of fruit as the peach. As with many Shiner beers, the over-attenuation leads to astringency and grainy taste: signature Shiner. No real mention of pecans? I thought that a walnut flavor from grain/malt made more of a contribution than pecans- would have missed it if the label hadn't said so.

3.84/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Bought Beer from Stadium Liquor.

Appearance: Cloudy, Orange

Smell: Cheddar Cheese, Peach, and Nut were all evident

Taste: Strong peach flavor, also could taste the pecan/walnut

Mouthfeel: After sitting on my pallet for a while, hit many different taste buds I didn't think possible. Awesome

Drinkability: Great beer to show your woman or friends who need something different. Definitely a great beer from Shiner, TX!

3.52/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into pint...

A: pours mahogany with a fizzy tan head that soon fades to nothing

S: I can immediately pick up a strong peach and nutty pecan aromas. Also, picking up a spiciness of wheat

T: caramel maltiness blends well with peach and pecan flavors. finishes with peach skins, more roasted pecans and a hint of clove, with the familiar shiner yeast, making the finish similar to Shiner Bock. good, but nothing amazing

M: foamy, medium body with a crisp drying finish

Overall, another enjoyable beer from Shiner, but as expected nothing out of this world. The peach and pecan are unique. Would be a good recommendation for a newcomer to craft brew.

3.15/5  rDev -11.3%

Appearance: Medium amber with a off-white foamy head.

Smell: Peaches and roasted malt.

Taste: Peaches and roasted pecans with underlying malty sweetness. Mild spicy earthy hop. Finish is dryish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light.

Drinkability: Not too bad, but too fruity for me to go more than one bottle at a time.

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is caramel or light coffee color..with quite a bit of carbonation. Not a whole lot of head though. Nice sticky lace..almost like a watered down syrup. I can definetely smell the peach. Very good tasting. Goes down well. You gotta have one of these.

3.32/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a very reddish brown color. Tan thin head disappears quickly.

Well, the label says brewed with peaches and pecans and you get tons of peach on the nose. And it's a real peach smell too, not the kind in gummy candy. There's also some farm stinkiness and sugar.

The peach flavor is up front and dominates the beers. The back end is where Shiner loses me a tad. The bitterness isn't well balanced and the previously pleasant peach flavor is just too much.

A nice surprise and a totally different kind of Holiday beer from Shiner.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a reddish-tan with a hefty head which dwindles to ~1/4inch. First smells strongly of peaches, slightly nutty and then peachy lingering. Tastes similar to smell, except tastes more like a dunkelweizen beer. Does not smell all that much like beer to me. The taste is not too strong, with a slightly wheaty finish precluded by light hoppy bite. Feels a bit to fizzy, I could have gone for a slightly greater viscosity with less fizzy carbonation. Overall, a fun beer to try, but not something worth going out of your way for. Very cool bottle, though!

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

It poured a deep clear amber with a white foamy head.

The aroma was pleasant, with peaches at the forefront. I also had a nutty caramel aroma.

The taste didn't really live up to the aroma. It tasted like a regular Shiner but with added flavors built on top. I didn't think the peach aspect was as strong in the taste as it was in the aroma. There was also a nutty flavor lingering about, but unless I was told otherwise, I would not have guessed pecans. It also had a generic holiday spice taste, but for the most part it got lost in the shuffle of the peach and malt flavors

Like almost all Shiner products the mouth feel was very carbonated.

It had a fairly decent drinkability.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it but I don't feel the need to revisit it again until next December. It was good and worth the try, however, there was something too artificial about it. The peach flavor tasted like the peach flavoring in an Arizona Ice Tea, only not as pronounced.

3.47/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into pint glass. Pours ½ finger of beige head. Head fades fast. Color is am amber copper.

Aroma: I can't believe how much the peaches stick out. The pecans show as well. Some caramel and roasted malts. A touch of cocoa.

Taste: Peaches and strawberry fruitiness. Pecans and roasted malts. Chocolate syrup with earthy hops. Interesting.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, fizzy, and roasted. Medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends a bit dry with fruits.

Overall, a very interesting. Somewhat drinkable. Very fruity. At first, I thought I would be able to drink multiples, but quickly found out that one would be enough.

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

pours out a clear auburn colour with a respectable tan head that sticks a bit and stays a bit longer. light wisps of lace, too. aroma of peaches and popcorn....something i don't think i've ever experienced before in a beer. taste is good deal more of the peaches with a slight hint of roasted nuts, mingling nicely with the sweetness of the malts used. there is some underlying weizen notes of lemon and some spice which actually gives the overall flavour profile some depth and legitimacy. light mouthfeel with a medium at best body provides an easy drinking, yet sort of underwhelming performance. finishes on the dry side which helps things out because if this concoction was sweet and cloying it would be a lot less enjoyable. therefore drinkability is fairly decent.

overall, i don't hate it but do not necessarily like it too much, either. for a winter/holiday/x-mas ale it's interesting but not something i think i would want to revisit or look forward to every year.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a pint sized drinking glass.

Appearance is dark amber or brown. The smell has a slight peach flavor. The taste is where the peach sticks out the most. I could not taste the pecans that are mentioned on the bottle. The mouthfeel is slightly smooth.

A very drinkable beer and much better than I expected it to be.

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a standard pint glass a dark ruby with a thin diminishing head that leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is very mild caramel and sweet fruit. The taste is an interesting blend of sweet fruits, caramel and mild spice. The beer is quite light but seems a bit undercarbonated. This one was worth trying, but I can't see myself drinking it again.

3.72/5  rDev +4.8%

Huge thanks to my buddy Trevor for this beer. Nice little seasonal trade in person at the COP. I wish I had a weizen glass to serve this in, alas I'll use my favorite pint glass.

A- Creamy wheat head that is very typical of this style. Carbonation generates little pillars of giant bubbles that spark up here and there disrupting the cloudscape. Has pretty good retention with hints of future lacing that I may enjoy.

A solid rusty brown body... umbar if you will, that is easy enough to see through with a back light. This little trick revealed the massive amounts of carbonation pumped into this beer.

S- No wonder this is called cheer! This son of a bitch is Christmas in a bottle! I definitely get the peaches here. Unbelievably strong aroma with a nutty and cherry background. I wish pecan was a bit more portrayed, but this is delicious! There is a hint of fresh air to it... the peaches explode, fade as a breeze of clean air wafts through, and than come back for round two.

T- The flavors can't compare to the nose. I wish they were as amazing, but alas they are muted. It opens malty with some biscuit flavors that linger around until a peach flavor evolves from the back of my palate. Its presence is made known as the malts finish saturating their particular receptor. This fruity sweetness doesn't die off like the malts and actually becomes the finish. The only addition that I can detect is finally the nutty presence that could be pecans, but isn't strong enough to call it so.

M- Medium body which I almost want to call full. It has creamy tendencies, and a bubbly finish. The lingering flavors are perfect. This is probably one of the bigger surprises of my tasting career as of yet.

D- I like this beer a lot. I've had beers from this particular brewery before, and wasn't impressed. This is a whole new level from them. It is easy to drink, tasty, and unique to a point.

2.71/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a dark ruby red/brown color, with an off-white head that crackles and pops its way down to nothing in no time. Nice color, but this is my fourth bottle in a week and I've never been able to achieve much of a head on this beer. And life's too short to worry about THAT.

If this were fruit juice or soda, it would smell just fine, but I'm pretty close to being put off by the smell. It's peachy, because I've been told peaches are in this beer, but moreover I feel like I'm smelling a just-opened bottle of Juicy Juice fruit juice, if you're familiar with that stuff. Cherry, grape, peach...it's like a punch in here. The pecans this beer was also brewed with are indiscernible in the nose, as is any real beer-like quality.

Each bottle I've had has been less and less impressive to me, taste-wise. I get some pecans here, and that's nice, but there's a kind of burnt-sugar character that is unpleasant, and the peach flavor borders on nasty, not to mention overpowering, and the overall sweetness is very soda-like. A spiciness like that in various US winter warmers tries to peek through (are these the "natural flavors"?) and I don't get much "Bavarian-style dark wheat" character as promised by the label. Again: soda-like. There's a good beer in here somewhere, I swear, but as is I wouldn't ever buy another 6-pack. Finishes bitter and plastic-y and just really messy.

And again soda-like with the texture/feel...quite spritzy and tingly, also it avoids being harsh with an element of smoothness and slickness.

Dunkelweizen? Really? I wish it had struck me more like a dunkelweizen, I like a good DW. This Shiner Cheer just isn't for me.

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

It pours a clear brown/amber color with a good amount of off-white head that laces the glass.

Right off the bat you can pick up on the peaches, its pretty overpowering in comparison to the rest of the ingredients which are almost indistinguishable. There is a very, very subtle nutty/roasty quality to it.

Flavor wise, again the peaches dominate this brew. Its a medium to full bodied ale that has a nutty/roasty quality to it.

I picked up a 6 pack of these and after finishing 2, had no desire to grab a third, the peach flavor gets pretty old pretty quick and I would not say this beer is very drinkable. The peach flavor is a nice novelty, but when that novelty wears off you are left with a mediocre nutty ale.

3.23/5  rDev -9%

Twist-off bottle. Always a good start. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

Pours a crimson color with a single-finger off-white head. A pretty good amount of spotty lacing and a light lace ring around the edges of the glass.

The initial nose brings me some red Twizzler, super-rope-type smells with quite a bit of sweetness and some cherry. Some bright peach is definitely there but I'm not getting any of that pecan. A bit of of caramel. Not half bad; I'll be the first to admit that I was expecting this to be quite terrible.

The flavor has loads of Peach Jolly Rancher character and a lot of artificial peach character. Just overwhelming here. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of this. A bit of peaches and cream throughout with a bit of light sweetness. The feel is a bit creamy with a medium body. I can't really drink much of this. The peach character is fairly fake and quite overwhelming.

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao.

3.56/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my slim, elegant stemmed Rodenbach glass a glowingly clear chestnut color with a big, dense & creamy 2" settled head. Moderate fine carbonation visibly uprising. As I move the glass side to side, the head barely moves - just like a good wheat beer. Nice thin rings of lace all the way down.

Very peachy nose first off. Very sweet indeed. The label reads 'brewed with peaches & pecans', and you definitely can pick out the peaches, while the pecans are in the back - but still detectable. Like I just mentioned, this is a very sweet smelling brew.

Interesting mingling of the peaches and pecans in the taste. Again, the peaches take the forefront, but the nuttiness somehow keeps it from getting cloying, (like I was fearing from the scent). You actually get a bitterness that reminds me of the skin of a walnut - but I guess that;s close enough. I do believe there's a teeny-tiny bit of clove wayyy underneath all of this, and I'll have to agree with my senses seeing this is a dunkleweissen.

Mouthfeel is between medium & light bodied with a gentle and soft texture, (thanks to the wheat malt). The level of carbonation is noticably below the 'normal' hefeweissen, but it still feels nice and fine.

Drinkability is good. A little syrupy, sweet for me to have a session, but two might be fine.

Overall a beer that definitely isn't boring or forgettable. When I think of Christmas, peaches aren't the first noun to come to mind. But now that I've tried it, I'm glad I did. If the peach flavor could be knocked down about 25% and replace that with more pecan, I think we'd have one humdinger of a Texan Christmas offering.

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Holiday Cheer pours a darker, burgundy color. It's clear, and looks deep red with light behind it. I like the color. I was expecting a little haze, being a Dunkelweizen and all. Eh. The head is vanilla colored and only rises to a finger or so in depth before falling quickly. Lacing was definitely on the light side. Not bad.

The nose is rather average. It's fruity up front and features a nice peach scent. It's a little grainy and earthy. Where are the spices? No clove? Nothing? Hmmm. It does feature a light malty scent. Smells a little caramel-esque to me. Yeast is a little noticeable. It needs work. There's just not much going on...besides peach fruitiness.

The flavor may be a notch better. I haven't quite made up my mind. It does have a rather strong peach presence throughout. It's not altogether bad. There might be some light spices, but it's tough to tell. The peach flavor might mask a few things. A bit of a grainy flavor is noted throughout. I'm not appreciating a nutty presence at all. Maybe it's just me. It's a little malty and sweet. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Finishes peachy and sweet. It tastes alright. Better than it smells.

The body is light. Carbonation seems mid-range. There's not enough here to feel smooth, but it isn't a train wreck. Drinkability is rather average. I don't mind a bottle, but the flavor grows a little tiresome. There's just not quite enough flavor there to entertain for multiple bottles. For what it's worth, it goes down easy enough.

Spoetzl Brewery could really improve Holiday Cheer with just a little effort. It'd improve easily with a little less peach, and a little more spice and body. It's just okay. Probably worth a try if you're compelled. But, stick with a single or bottle or two. A six pack seems like a stretch.

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner