Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
3.16/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Dark peach/amber color with a decent formed head. Lacing is okay.

Super peachy and nectary with hints of white chocolate and candi sugar. Slightly nutty yeastiness. Not much else.

Tastes like a peach beer with some bitterness. No real hop showing. Malts are candied and weak with some graininess.

Semi-boring feel with a medium wetness to the body and a medium carb.

A dunkelweizen??? I get no wheat notes and only a very mild yeastiness that MIGHT be German. Nope. Call it a fruit beer and we'll talk.

thecheapies, Dec 02, 2013

deonreds, Nov 25, 2013

Lagerquestrian, Nov 25, 2013

afinepilsner, Nov 24, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Spoetzl Brewery's Shiner Holiday Cheer a couple weeks ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I thought I should give this years release a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice retro Christmas look to it. It poured a fairly clear redish dark amber color that took on a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and half of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer and I liked the color of it.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by big fruity aroma with some cranberry and other fruity aroma coming through with peaches seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a nice creamy aroma that mixes with the fruity aspect to make for an aroma that reminds me of those fruit and cream candies. It kind of reminds me of Short's peaches and cream. The aroma is decent, but it isn't very beer like and I don't pick up any Dunkelweizen like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of peach flavors with some other fruity flavors in the background. Up next comes that same creamy aspect that I got in the aroma and it makes for that same cream and fruit candy like aspect. Up next comes some light malty and grainy flavors with a somewhat lighter amount of bitterness with a creamy and peach like aftertaste. The taste isn't bad, but just like the aroma it's not very Dunkelweizen.

M- Smooth. crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I didn't think it was a good example of a Dunkelweizen since none of the aspects that I look for in the style came through, if they were there they were pretty much covered up by the creamy peach flavors and with how much the peach flavors stick out I think this would be better classified as a Fruit Beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, I thought they were both nice and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the how dominating the creamy peach flavors were, they weren't bad, but I thought they were too overpowering. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't seek it out and I don't think I would really recommend it unless you really like Peach flavored beers. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Shiner is usually pretty solid, but this beer seemed a little too unbalanced and artificial for my taste. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little bit of work.

StoutHunter, Nov 24, 2013

Maverickdp, Nov 24, 2013

kpowledge, Nov 24, 2013
3.54/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear garnet red in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a few pillows of bubbles on the surface, a collar around the edge, and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of sweet peaches are present in the nose along with hints of pecans and spices.
T: Similar to the smell, the initial taste starts out with flavors of peaches (and associated hints of sweetness), which become mixed with flavors of toasted pecans and spices towards the finish.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This seems to taste more like a Fruit/Vegetable Beer than a Dunkelweizen. It's an interesting Texan take on a holiday beer and is a lot easier to drink than some of the other holiday beers in the heavier styles such as winter warmers. There seemed to be a good balance between the peaches and pecans/spices because the beer wasn't overly sweet.

metter98, Nov 23, 2013