Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 352 | Hads: 1,366
2.26/5  rDev -35.8%

Oh God, the peaches. It's not so much that the peach flavor is all that bad, in fact it's one of the more natural-tasting fruit flavors in a fruit beer that I've tried, but it's just extremely peachy, like someone mixed peach preserves and beer. The smell is particularly peachy, literally rather than figuratively. The flavor is like a cross between a strawberry soda, a light possibly decent dunkelweizen and a giant bowl of peaches (and a trace of bile - but I hate a lot of sweet fruit beers). I've never really associated peaches with the holiday season, so it leaves me a bit confused. Maybe, it's a Texas thing. Also, if anyone can taste pecan in this beer, my hat is off to you. It's really not a horrible beer, I guess, but it's not my thing. (751 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -35.2%

12oz bottle, 2010 batch. Pours clear copper amber with a one finger off white head that quickly recedes to a wispy cap and ring, not much lacing at all. Aroma is a bunch of funky peaches, I can dig peaches but these are just...well...funky. A lot of pecan as well, maybe too much as it ain't playing nicely with the peaches and may be what is contributing to the funk. Also a bit of caramel malt. Good strength. Flavor is also loaded with the funky peach taste, particularly on the finish, pecans, good caramel malt backbone, bready, rather sweet. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily becoming sticky, medium carbonation. Not my cup of tea. I know they use real peaches and pecans but can't help but feel that those may be boosted by some artificial flavorings as well. Doubt I'll make it to the end of the glass... (811 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -33.8%

Aroma: Crazy big artificial fruit flavors going on here. I get lots of artificial grape gum flavors that dominate the nose. No hop aromas. Some bready malt character as the beer is agitated.

Appearance: Dark copper colored pour with a low and short lasting white head.

Flavor: More artificial fruit flavors. Kind of seems like cran-grape juice. Background spicy hop notes provide some balance. Finish is crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and high carbonation. No astringency or warmth on the palate.

Overall impression: A very artifical, confusing ale. Not sure what to think of it but it just tasted industrial and artificial. Avoid. (645 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This beer tastes 10x better on tap than bottle. The bottle taste reminds me of sour milk on the after taste. Have you ever tasted your own ear wax? Well after drinking this you might be able to recall that. Now, why I say ear wax??...well I tasted my ear wax numerous times out of curiosity. I wouldn't buy this beer. I'd rather bum off someone else. (350 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Extremely clear medium brown beer with a small head that melts to a ring.

The aroma is a balance of sweet malt and tart fruit.

Way too much fruit. And way too sweet. It tastes like I'm drinking a piece of peach candy. I hate the flavor. It doesn't taste like beer.

The mouthfeel is not bad. Medium bodied. But I'm having trouble getting past the flavor.

It sounds weird to say, but everything about this beer was good except the flavor. In fact, I ha to pour it out after I drank about 3/4 of the bottle. And I hate to do that, but there's other way better beer in my fridge. (579 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours an amber/ruby color with a one finger head that stays for a while.

Smell is not appealing at all. It smells like that gummy peach ring candy you can buy at any convenience store. Totally artificial and a bit sickly. Taste is a bit of maltiness with a ton of fake peach sweetness and a disgusting bitter metallic finish. Ugh.

Mouthfeel is thin, and I wouldn't drink this again if I had to. (396 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a deep copper mahogany color with a one finger head with moderate retention. Nice cap of foam, and a touch of lace are left behind.

S- Completely dominated by peaches. At least they smell like actual peaches, and not completely artificial as many fruit beers can.

T- Again, mostly dominated by fruit, this time slightly artificial. There is a hint of caramel and sweet malt on the finish, but you've got to be looking for it. Pecans are nowhere to be found.

M- A little on the thin side, but good enough for what it is.

D- Decent at best. Peach flavor becomes overwhelming after about half a glass. I'm not sure that I'll be finishing this six pack.

In the end, if they were trying to make a peach beer, they nailed it. That being said, this is most certainly NOT a dunkelweizen. Furthermore, I'm a little pissed at Spoetzl honestly... I see the neck of the bottle peaking above the cardboard holder, and it claims to be "A Bavarian style dark wheat". "Sounds great!" I thought to myself. It wasn't until I got home that the little tidbit about peaches and pecan showed itself at the very bottom of the label. In the end, I guess it is my fault for not reading the entire label in the store, but honestly, if you're making something that smacks you across the face with peach like this... it needs to be more clearly advertised as such. (1,353 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From winter brew tasting notes (2010): Dark amber colored with light brown head. The aroma is predominantly peaches and apricots. The taste is naturally heavy on the peaches with some nutty malt, banana bread and caramel flavors also in the mix. A peach flavored Dunkelweizen is not exactly my ideal winter seasonal but the overall flavor is surprisingly smooth and refreshing. Neat vintage label and this beer was a major let down for me - too peachy for a winter. I'd rather stick with the Shiner Bock here. (509 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -27.3%

Dark mahogany in color, finger of head that stays; it's very clear, and that's not quite to style, but all in all, very nice looking.

Smells overwhelmingly like cherries, and a little yeast action.

Wow. This tastes like fruit cocktail. I mean, if there wasn't a slightly bitter finish, I would think I was back in my school cafeteria slurping something 'in heavy syrup'.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation, slightly drying.

Where's the beer? This is pretty strange, very non-dunkelweizen. If you like really sweet, fruity alcoholic beverages though, this one is for you. (571 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Brewed with peaches? Did they add anything else? I'm not a big fan of overly fruit beers and this one is really, really fruity. Halfway through it and has more in common with a B&J Fuzzy Navel Wine Cooler then a beer.

Despite that... it isn't awful. I managed to finish the entire bottle but I'm glad I didn't buy a six-pack. (326 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark reddish brown with a frothy white head that faded fast. The smell reminds me of kool-aid, lots of fruitiness and sweetness, I started to doubt this one once I smelled it. Upon my first sip I was sad that I ordered this one, the fruitiness and sweet hit you all at once. Not much else going on except some wheat toward the end. The beer is smooth, light mouthfeel, mostly thin. Overall I would recommend against this beer, the flavor got to me only a few sips in. I will not get this one again, too many bad flavors going on here. (542 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As a dunkelweizen, I'm not too impressed. After letting the beer warm some out of the fridge, it poured with an average sized light tan head that soon subsided to a few small islands, a ring, and a little lace. Color is a nice, clear, red amber with a couple of bubble trails. Aroma is up front peaches with malt and yeast coming in way below. Flavors about the same as nose and with enough carbonic tang to save it. Body and carbonation are decent. Finish is like flavor with all components lasting to the very end of some good length. A peach beer. (550 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -25%

Pours a clear transparent ruby-red amber color. Off-white foamy head that dissipates after a few minutes to a long lasting thin white cover. Some lacing.

Smells of sweet peaches, candied fruit, and some faint hops citrus. Some hints of malt and spice in the background. I was a bit surprised by the strong peach smell.

Taste is sour apple, hop citrus, and spicy floral notes. The finish is peach and apricot sweetness, with a lingering of dried apricot.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with carbonation, and a slightly thin finish.

An interesting holiday beer. It was worth trying, but probably not one I will revisit. (620 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -24.7%

I tried to like this beer, but, having a hard time putting Christmas & peaches together in my head. peaches around here are a mid summer treat.

A: NIce, appealing mahogany/ruby red color, puffy head, and nice retention/lacing.

S: Big whiff of peach. Some maltyness. Almost like sniffing a peach iced tea.

T: Sweet, sweet, sweet. Both from peach juice, and the sweetness of the malts & dark wheat. Peach beer is working for at all..

M: Slick and easy. No bitterness, no metallic aftertaste.

D: Well, what my initial sentence stated. Having a hard time wrapping my mind around peaches, and Christmas. Not working. This, however, would be a great beer to fall back on on a hot July afternoon, something different than my normal Saison/Kolsch/wit habit. (754 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -23.6%

P: Dazzling ruby body with slight bubbles and a big top of micro bubble khaki head. Thin and short lived head leaving wet slippery lacing.

S: Sweet fruity tea, peach, juniper berries, cranberries, raspberries, tangerines, prunes dusted with powder sugar and honeydew melon. Subtle notes of cinnamon and other spices I can't quite make out. Smells like a natural fruit roll up.

T/M: Fruity like the nose but tastes oxidized and dulled down by unpleasant bitterness and a chalky after math. Light and prickly carbonation. Not really feeling this one. Taste is like diluted fruit flavored seltzer water.

O: What a let down. The nose was good but lacked in taste completely. All that comes to mind is a cheap replica of a great beer style. I won't be cheering next year. (772 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -23%

Pours a dark ruby red/brown color, with an off-white head that crackles and pops its way down to nothing in no time. Nice color, but this is my fourth bottle in a week and I've never been able to achieve much of a head on this beer. And life's too short to worry about THAT.

If this were fruit juice or soda, it would smell just fine, but I'm pretty close to being put off by the smell. It's peachy, because I've been told peaches are in this beer, but moreover I feel like I'm smelling a just-opened bottle of Juicy Juice fruit juice, if you're familiar with that stuff. Cherry, grape, peach...it's like a punch in here. The pecans this beer was also brewed with are indiscernible in the nose, as is any real beer-like quality.

Each bottle I've had has been less and less impressive to me, taste-wise. I get some pecans here, and that's nice, but there's a kind of burnt-sugar character that is unpleasant, and the peach flavor borders on nasty, not to mention overpowering, and the overall sweetness is very soda-like. A spiciness like that in various US winter warmers tries to peek through (are these the "natural flavors"?) and I don't get much "Bavarian-style dark wheat" character as promised by the label. Again: soda-like. There's a good beer in here somewhere, I swear, but as is I wouldn't ever buy another 6-pack. Finishes bitter and plastic-y and just really messy.

And again soda-like with the texture/feel...quite spritzy and tingly, also it avoids being harsh with an element of smoothness and slickness.

Dunkelweizen? Really? I wish it had struck me more like a dunkelweizen, I like a good DW. This Shiner Cheer just isn't for me. (1,651 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled: unk

A: Hazelnut brown with a finger of off-white foam which falls quickly to a torn sheet of the same. Excellent clarity. No lace.
S: Smells of plastic and some astringent malts. Not like.
T: Tastes sweet and like it has pecans. Some brown sugar tones. Taste far exceeds nose here.
M: Creamy. Thin. Absentee finish.
O: Well, it's okay. I would suggest to a novice to craft. (383 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Nice clear, amber color with a lot of head after a hard pour. The off white head slowly shrinks to a thin coating but leaves a great deal of foam on all sides of the glass (enough that saying lcaing doesn't seem to describe the amount).

S - No hiding the peach scent. Smells like a fruit cocktail, heavy on the peach.

T - Up front the peach again comes forward. But then a thickness seems to come forward and take over. Don't really get any pecan flavor. A very sweet beer.

M - Thin, watery.

D - I still can't over how much peach flavor was in this beer. Even after some time of having a sip, the flavor still sits, very sweetly, in my mouth. I can't see having more then one at a sitting. (697 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Minimal head that quickly disappears. Artificial coloring per the label. Seriously? Dark amber color I guess.

Aroma is complicated. Lots of sweetness, a lot of peach. Flavor is much the same. Not a bad drink, but it doesn't taste like beer. Overwhelmingly peach, but tastes like artificial peach flavoring.

Mouthfeel is probably about right, but overall I feel like Shiner is just doing a bit with this and I can't take it seriously. (471 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark chestnut color which is disappointingly devoid of haziness for the style. The head is a one finger off-white shade. It isn't particularly creamy, nor does it have great retention. It leaves behind a thin ring of lacing on the glass.

S: Peach notes are at the forefront. I'm having trouble picking up any nuanced malt qualities, though, and that's unfortunate. Maybe a touch of caramel and some wheat. At first, I thought I picked up a cheesy scent, but that's gone away almost entirely in the glass. The fruitiness IS pretty nice anyways.

T: Okay, I lied - the malt here is like a punch in the face. It hits the palate immediately with caramel-laden sweetness, clashing with the (nice) peach notes instead of coexisting peacefully. At least the peachy finish is pleasant - too bad I don't pick up much pecan flavor. There's too much in the way of clashing flavors for me to enjoy this.

M: Light, but too sweet on the palate to really inspire drinkability. Carbonation does its damnedest to help it go down, though.

O: It's a shame about its lack of balance, because I enjoy the fruity flavors of this. Wasn't a fan of this one, frankly. On the plus side, I can see this appealing to other drinkers. (1,251 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -21%

Bottled purchased from Hyvee in Omaha, NE.
No bottled on date.
Poured into a Weihenstephaner weizen glass.

Pours a fairly large (>4cm) head of light tan bubbles that quickly fades to a thin cap atop the beer. Leaves some modest lacing along sides of the glass. Body is a dark amber color out of the light, fiery reddish-orange with orange highlights when held up to the lamp. The beer is completely clear, so I guess it's a kristalldunkelweizen? Fairly minimal, sluggish carbonation. Minus points for being clear and calling itself a dunkelweiss, which isn't.

Aroma of very uprfront, "punchy" sweetness and canned peaches, maybe candied peaches. Slight bready character if inhaled deeply. Did they even use a German yeast with this one, because there are no banana, clove/allspice, bubblegum, or wheat malt scents.

Taste predominantly of sugary sweet peaches, a bit of clove or other phenol, and some brown malt. This continues until the back of the tongue picks up an aftertaste of some brown or toasted malt characters. As in the aroma, no detectable banana, citrus, bubblegum, or wheat malt flavors. Peach flavor is slightly cloying to me.

Mouthfeel is medium-light with a bit of wateriness around the edges. Carbonation starts fairly low and decreases so that by the end of sipping, this is almost a bit flat. Smooth, a bit creamy, finish is semi-dry. Not too far off from a dunkelweiss.

Is this a gateway beer for macrolager drinkers, as some have suggested? Only if they really want to drink artificially sweet, candy flavored beer that mocks its supposed progenitor. I don't need a beer with "natural flavors added" or "caramel color added," and this one has both. Essentially cloying, no need to revisit. (1,720 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Dark amber, and copper coloring. Slight head, but not overly so.

S: Smells of dried apricots and a slight nuttiness.

T: The rich flavor of the apricots that are brewed in are heavy on the toungue with a smooth finish that makes you want more.

M: The overall mouth feel is supurb. This probably one of my favorite holiday beers as it is full bodied, but somewhat lighter than I expected.

D: I'd rate fairly high if it wasn't so seasonally oriented.

Overall, I'd suggest this beer to any of my friends. Cheers. (517 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Poured a thick, light-tan head with appropriate weizen retention. Pristine copper beer.

S-Overwhelimingly of peaches, sweet and fruity. One-dimensional.

T-The peaches are very prominent. Some malts were under there somewhere... When malts did poke through the peach, they tended toward bready and caramelly. Some nuances of the added pecans also appeared subtley. No bitterness. This brew was sweet and peachy.

M-Moderate-high carbonation. Medium body. The sweetness adds a lot of perceived fullness to the body.

D-Low. This beer is overly fruity, making a beer that's a bit too one-dimensional, focusing on the fruit while seemingly leaving the rest of the beer behind. (703 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured a Clear fizzy amber color with a creamy off white head and good lacing. Smells of artificial peaches, nutty, bready. Taste is about as it smells, Huge peach flavor but not in a good way. It taste way too artificial and sweet. Light to medium oily body. One is definably enough to drink in one sitting. I don't believe I will drink this again to tell you the truth. (371 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep, dark amber body with a smallish, frothy, off-white head.

Smell: The aroma is almost fully dominated by the scent of peach.

Taste: Bready, toasty malts with a light sweetness. There's the anticipated peach flavor, though, thankfully, it doesn't overwhelm everything else like it did in the nose. Vague nuttiness. No more than a light hop bitterness. Drying, peachy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I don't get it. The union of peaches and pecans alongside a dunkelweizen (which is as much a proper dunkelweizen as Shiner Bock is a bock) is totally lost on me. This just isn't what I'm looking for in a fruit beer, winter beer, or dunkelweizen. (717 characters)

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner