Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
FXRGuy

jhenson1

12-17-2011 01:48:28 | More by jhenson1
monnik

2.04/5  rDev -42.2%

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

11-12-2012 19:12:42 | More by monnik
largadeer

2.05/5  rDev -41.9%

A dunkelweizen brewed with peaches, pecans and delicious natural flavor and caramel color. On a day like this, what could be better than some crisp refreshing natural flavor?

The beer is the color of mahogany with ruby red highlights and perfect clarity, which I find a little odd for a dunkelweizen. The head crackles and dissipates like a can of soda poured into a paper cup. Looks exactly like Coke, actually.

Sweet and tart peaches and cream greet the nose first; more like cream soda actually. Toasted pecans and whole wheat toast are present as well. It's on the sweet side, and oddly artificial smelling.

Cola, peaches, strawberries, caramel and pecans are dominant on the tongue, along with a touch of nutmeg and chocolate. It's very sweet and syrupy, though the body is thin and carbonation high. It finishes on a dry note, with some lingering bitterness, Cherry Coke and peach. This is strange, unsettling stuff; it's like a soda/beer hybrid. If you're the type of person that adds shots of vodka to their RC Cola, you may enjoy this, but otherwise it's best avoided.

12-15-2009 03:09:55 | More by largadeer
TexIndy

2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (no dating info but new seasonal so it's fresh) into a pint glass. It was mahogany color with some carb and slight lacing. It has a good sized light beige head that took awhile to fade.

The was peach, peach and more peach. Never really got a whiff of the underlying base beer. I like peaches but this was too much. Same for the taste. Very one dimensional and cloying. It also clashed with the base flavor.

Overall, nasty and a drain pour. One and done. Very glad I got a single instead of a sixer. Another sub-par effort from Shiner - a faded Texas icon. Avoid.

11-12-2008 01:08:42 | More by TexIndy
BigBarley

2.15/5  rDev -39.1%

A - Pours a deep amber, very dark but still see-through. Not a very dunkel looking beer. 3 fingers of a heavy wheat head, that recedes to a thick lacing.

S - Peaches, with mild wheat and sweet malt undertones. Extreme overpowering peach notes take away from any real beer ingredients. Not pleasant, smells artificial.

T - Peach blast. And not a very pleasant blast at that. Mild yeast notes as the taste fades out. No real wheat presence. Strange flavor, not all that enjoyable from my end.

M - Might as well be a light lager. I've never tasted a dunkel that was this thin and bubbly. Little thicker than a light lager I guess, but not nearly the wheaty body you'd expect.

O - Disappointing is the name of this beer. If you're REALLY into peachy flavors and thin beer, go for it. But if you're looking for an actual dunkel, steer clear of this one.

11-19-2012 15:44:09 | More by BigBarley
popery

2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

Oh God, the peaches. It's not so much that the peach flavor is all that bad, in fact it's one of the more natural-tasting fruit flavors in a fruit beer that I've tried, but it's just extremely peachy, like someone mixed peach preserves and beer. The smell is particularly peachy, literally rather than figuratively. The flavor is like a cross between a strawberry soda, a light possibly decent dunkelweizen and a giant bowl of peaches (and a trace of bile - but I hate a lot of sweet fruit beers). I've never really associated peaches with the holiday season, so it leaves me a bit confused. Maybe, it's a Texas thing. Also, if anyone can taste pecan in this beer, my hat is off to you. It's really not a horrible beer, I guess, but it's not my thing.

11-21-2009 07:15:09 | More by popery

Arkansas

12-29-2012 21:28:41 | More by BillyPirate
goldenboi187

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

This beer tastes 10x better on tap than bottle. The bottle taste reminds me of sour milk on the after taste. Have you ever tasted your own ear wax? Well after drinking this you might be able to recall that. Now, why I say ear wax??...well I tasted my ear wax numerous times out of curiosity. I wouldn't buy this beer. I'd rather bum off someone else.

12-20-2012 07:05:29 | More by goldenboi187
cmr5056

10-11-2012 16:01:05 | More by cmr5056
UnderPressure

South Carolina

2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

Extremely clear medium brown beer with a small head that melts to a ring.

The aroma is a balance of sweet malt and tart fruit.

Way too much fruit. And way too sweet. It tastes like I'm drinking a piece of peach candy. I hate the flavor. It doesn't taste like beer.

The mouthfeel is not bad. Medium bodied. But I'm having trouble getting past the flavor.

It sounds weird to say, but everything about this beer was good except the flavor. In fact, I ha to pour it out after I drank about 3/4 of the bottle. And I hate to do that, but there's other way better beer in my fridge.

11-29-2011 01:44:30 | More by UnderPressure
elgiacomo

Georgia

2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

12oz bottle, 2010 batch. Pours clear copper amber with a one finger off white head that quickly recedes to a wispy cap and ring, not much lacing at all. Aroma is a bunch of funky peaches, I can dig peaches but these are just...well...funky. A lot of pecan as well, maybe too much as it ain't playing nicely with the peaches and may be what is contributing to the funk. Also a bit of caramel malt. Good strength. Flavor is also loaded with the funky peach taste, particularly on the finish, pecans, good caramel malt backbone, bready, rather sweet. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily becoming sticky, medium carbonation. Not my cup of tea. I know they use real peaches and pecans but can't help but feel that those may be boosted by some artificial flavorings as well. Doubt I'll make it to the end of the glass...

01-07-2011 02:31:29 | More by elgiacomo
mattcrill

2.35/5  rDev -33.4%

Aroma: Crazy big artificial fruit flavors going on here. I get lots of artificial grape gum flavors that dominate the nose. No hop aromas. Some bready malt character as the beer is agitated.

Appearance: Dark copper colored pour with a low and short lasting white head.

Flavor: More artificial fruit flavors. Kind of seems like cran-grape juice. Background spicy hop notes provide some balance. Finish is crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and high carbonation. No astringency or warmth on the palate.

Overall impression: A very artifical, confusing ale. Not sure what to think of it but it just tasted industrial and artificial. Avoid.

12-07-2009 01:02:37 | More by mattcrill
daythree16

Tennessee

2.4/5  rDev -32%

Pours an amber/ruby color with a one finger head that stays for a while.

Smell is not appealing at all. It smells like that gummy peach ring candy you can buy at any convenience store. Totally artificial and a bit sickly. Taste is a bit of maltiness with a ton of fake peach sweetness and a disgusting bitter metallic finish. Ugh.

Mouthfeel is thin, and I wouldn't drink this again if I had to.

01-02-2009 04:59:42 | More by daythree16
phisig137

2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

A- Pours a deep copper mahogany color with a one finger head with moderate retention. Nice cap of foam, and a touch of lace are left behind.

S- Completely dominated by peaches. At least they smell like actual peaches, and not completely artificial as many fruit beers can.

T- Again, mostly dominated by fruit, this time slightly artificial. There is a hint of caramel and sweet malt on the finish, but you've got to be looking for it. Pecans are nowhere to be found.

M- A little on the thin side, but good enough for what it is.

D- Decent at best. Peach flavor becomes overwhelming after about half a glass. I'm not sure that I'll be finishing this six pack.

In the end, if they were trying to make a peach beer, they nailed it. That being said, this is most certainly NOT a dunkelweizen. Furthermore, I'm a little pissed at Spoetzl honestly... I see the neck of the bottle peaking above the cardboard holder, and it claims to be "A Bavarian style dark wheat". "Sounds great!" I thought to myself. It wasn't until I got home that the little tidbit about peaches and pecan showed itself at the very bottom of the label. In the end, I guess it is my fault for not reading the entire label in the store, but honestly, if you're making something that smacks you across the face with peach like this... it needs to be more clearly advertised as such.

10-30-2010 23:57:33 | More by phisig137