Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,355 | Reviews: 380

2.56/5  rDev -28.1%

Dark mahogany in color, finger of head that stays; it's very clear, and that's not quite to style, but all in all, very nice looking.

Smells overwhelmingly like cherries, and a little yeast action.

Wow. This tastes like fruit cocktail. I mean, if there wasn't a slightly bitter finish, I would think I was back in my school cafeteria slurping something 'in heavy syrup'.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation, slightly drying.

Where's the beer? This is pretty strange, very non-dunkelweizen. If you like really sweet, fruity alcoholic beverages though, this one is for you.

2.6/5  rDev -27%

2.61/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Brewed with peaches? Did they add anything else? I'm not a big fan of overly fruit beers and this one is really, really fruity. Halfway through it and has more in common with a B&J Fuzzy Navel Wine Cooler then a beer.

Despite that... it isn't awful. I managed to finish the entire bottle but I'm glad I didn't buy a six-pack.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark reddish brown with a frothy white head that faded fast. The smell reminds me of kool-aid, lots of fruitiness and sweetness, I started to doubt this one once I smelled it. Upon my first sip I was sad that I ordered this one, the fruitiness and sweet hit you all at once. Not much else going on except some wheat toward the end. The beer is smooth, light mouthfeel, mostly thin. Overall I would recommend against this beer, the flavor got to me only a few sips in. I will not get this one again, too many bad flavors going on here.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As a dunkelweizen, I'm not too impressed. After letting the beer warm some out of the fridge, it poured with an average sized light tan head that soon subsided to a few small islands, a ring, and a little lace. Color is a nice, clear, red amber with a couple of bubble trails. Aroma is up front peaches with malt and yeast coming in way below. Flavors about the same as nose and with enough carbonic tang to save it. Body and carbonation are decent. Finish is like flavor with all components lasting to the very end of some good length. A peach beer.

2.64/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours a clear transparent ruby-red amber color. Off-white foamy head that dissipates after a few minutes to a long lasting thin white cover. Some lacing.

Smells of sweet peaches, candied fruit, and some faint hops citrus. Some hints of malt and spice in the background. I was a bit surprised by the strong peach smell.

Taste is sour apple, hop citrus, and spicy floral notes. The finish is peach and apricot sweetness, with a lingering of dried apricot.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with carbonation, and a slightly thin finish.

An interesting holiday beer. It was worth trying, but probably not one I will revisit.

2.64/5  rDev -25.8%

Was very sweet, even for a dunkel. First beer in months i've had to give away.

2.65/5  rDev -25.6%

I tried to like this beer, but, having a hard time putting Christmas & peaches together in my head. peaches around here are a mid summer treat.

A: NIce, appealing mahogany/ruby red color, puffy head, and nice retention/lacing.

S: Big whiff of peach. Some maltyness. Almost like sniffing a peach iced tea.

T: Sweet, sweet, sweet. Both from peach juice, and the sweetness of the malts & dark wheat. Peach beer is working for at all..

M: Slick and easy. No bitterness, no metallic aftertaste.

D: Well, what my initial sentence stated. Having a hard time wrapping my mind around peaches, and Christmas. Not working. This, however, would be a great beer to fall back on on a hot July afternoon, something different than my normal Saison/Kolsch/wit habit.

2.69/5  rDev -24.4%

P: Dazzling ruby body with slight bubbles and a big top of micro bubble khaki head. Thin and short lived head leaving wet slippery lacing.

S: Sweet fruity tea, peach, juniper berries, cranberries, raspberries, tangerines, prunes dusted with powder sugar and honeydew melon. Subtle notes of cinnamon and other spices I can't quite make out. Smells like a natural fruit roll up.

T/M: Fruity like the nose but tastes oxidized and dulled down by unpleasant bitterness and a chalky after math. Light and prickly carbonation. Not really feeling this one. Taste is like diluted fruit flavored seltzer water.

O: What a let down. The nose was good but lacked in taste completely. All that comes to mind is a cheap replica of a great beer style. I won't be cheering next year.

2.71/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a dark ruby red/brown color, with an off-white head that crackles and pops its way down to nothing in no time. Nice color, but this is my fourth bottle in a week and I've never been able to achieve much of a head on this beer. And life's too short to worry about THAT.

If this were fruit juice or soda, it would smell just fine, but I'm pretty close to being put off by the smell. It's peachy, because I've been told peaches are in this beer, but moreover I feel like I'm smelling a just-opened bottle of Juicy Juice fruit juice, if you're familiar with that stuff. Cherry, grape, peach...it's like a punch in here. The pecans this beer was also brewed with are indiscernible in the nose, as is any real beer-like quality.

Each bottle I've had has been less and less impressive to me, taste-wise. I get some pecans here, and that's nice, but there's a kind of burnt-sugar character that is unpleasant, and the peach flavor borders on nasty, not to mention overpowering, and the overall sweetness is very soda-like. A spiciness like that in various US winter warmers tries to peek through (are these the "natural flavors"?) and I don't get much "Bavarian-style dark wheat" character as promised by the label. Again: soda-like. There's a good beer in here somewhere, I swear, but as is I wouldn't ever buy another 6-pack. Finishes bitter and plastic-y and just really messy.

And again soda-like with the texture/feel...quite spritzy and tingly, also it avoids being harsh with an element of smoothness and slickness.

Dunkelweizen? Really? I wish it had struck me more like a dunkelweizen, I like a good DW. This Shiner Cheer just isn't for me.

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%

Got the beer because it was on sale at my local store. Not bad but I'd never buy it for its original price. Really not worth it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery