Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,355 | Reviews: 380
3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a red-caramel-brown with no head. It is transparent. The smell is delightfully fruity; strong notes of peaches and apricots.
The taste is quite sensual as well, but not something I would enjoy AT ALL if a beer is what I craved. It doesn't have any kind of satisfying beer character. It is a fruit flavoured beer. It should not be considered a dunkelweizen at all even if that is what the base ale is. Shiner doesn't mislabel it as they explicitly state that it is brewed with peaches and pecans. It has a very light character and high carbonation, with ripe fruit really being the dominant character. The aftertaste is a bit odd. Very dry, but not entirely unpleasant. This is a fantastic beverage if you are in the mood for something fruity and not for a traditional beer. I can't say that enough. Good stuff, though.

3.86/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Picked up a single to add to my Christmas beers collection. Decided to try it when I definitely needed some holiday cheer after a crappy day at work. Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: The color is great - a beautiful deep coppery brown, kind of like Coke. Light carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Light brown, fluffy 2-finger head fades incredibly fast to a skim on the top. Not much lacing throughout, sadly.

Smell: The peaches are incredibly upfront in this brew. Kind of unique compared to the other holiday beers out there. Really nice note of caramel chewiness and a buttery, nutty scent. The bottle claims pecans, but I don't know if I could discern that from the smell. There is a hint of a metallic smell as the head fades.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The nutty, maltiness is deliciously complemented by the peaches. The sweetness is not overpowering - not saccharine-like, more subtle. There's a maple syrup-like quality to it. There's also a little spiciness, like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. The carbonation is perfect for me - very much like a soda. The mouthfeel is very light and clear for such flavors thanks to the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high thanks to the bubbles, and they help remove the stickiness typically left from a beer like this. I really enjoy the taste. Despite the peaches seeming more like a summer fruit, I think this is an excellent accompaniment to holiday celebrations.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

When poured into a glass, an inch thick tan head forms over the dark brown with ruby accented body. The head fades slowly to a ring around the edge of the beer. A nice lacing forms in the glass and lasts all the way until the beer is finished.

The smell is an interesting combination of peaches, pears and nuts. There is a nice hop background to it, which really brings out the sweetness to the scent. It's not so sweet that it deters an avid beer drinker from wanting to drink it. The smell sets up the taste. A smooth combination of Malts, peaches and apricots crosses the tongue. A nice nutty finish of pecans rounds off the flavor. The flavor lingers after you've finished drinking.

This is a medium bodied beer that is light on the carbonation. It's smooth and very easy to drink.

Normally I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but this one was really enjoyable, surprisingly so actually. When I first smelled the beer and the sweetness to it, I figured it would be like drinking fruit juice mixed with beer. It was nothing like that. I found this rather enjoyable to drink.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Dark nut brown pour into a pint glass with two fingers of long-lasting eggshell head. Very peachy aroma with hints of sweet buttermilk and pecan.

Moderate carbonation and a somewhat light mouthfeel. Mildly sweet caramel malt up front with biscuit, hints of peach, and a lingering trace of pecan on the finish.

Shiner nailed the "holidays in Texas" theme with the great peach and butter pecan notes on the nose, but the body/taste of the brew was nothing spectacular. However, given the flavors involved it was very drinkable!

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint 1554 pint glass.

A: Pours a dark cola-like brown with a small tan head that fades to near nothing and leaves no lacing.

S: The nose is unlike any other I've ever had. Big candied fruit sweetness, malty, and a hint of peaches.

T: Taste is peaches, peaches, and more peaches with a malty backbone. It's pretty sweet and I'd like to see a bit more hops to balance this out a bit.

M: Light and refreshing with a tiny bit of creaminess from the carbonation. About par for Shiner but I'd like to see a bit more body seeing as how this is a Dunkel.

D: I could have two or maybe 3 before the sweetness got to me. I'd also buy again if only to share with friends and family.

If you see it grab at least one bottle to try. The interesting Peach component makes this pretty unique at least from a TX brewer.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark amber coloring with one finger head that dissipated slowly. Lacing apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow, what an intriguing nose. The peach tones nearly overwhelm everything. I've had beer with an apricot nose before but never a peach nose.

T & M: Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but not overly so, just slightly watery. Peach tones come through initially but do not overwhelm. Finish has a hint of pecan. Nice smooth drinking brew that I can see myself drinking throughout the holidays. Good job in not making the peach sweetness cloying.

D: Definitely drinkable, good work Spoetzl. I'm always pleased when the little brewery in Shiner cranks out a quality brew.

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice winter option. Good alternative to the typical dark Winter Warmers.

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%

A: deep chestnut brown, thin layer of white head, minimal lacing

S: nose is all peach with hints of strawberry and vanilla in the background, very fruity, I'm amazed by how peachy this is.

T: taste feature fruitiness up front, not quite as peachy as the nose, notes of cherry and pecan come through, herbal notes on the finish

Mf: light body, mellow carbonation

O: really nice aroma, not sure how they pulled off the peach but I'm impressed. Not really getting the dunkelweizen character, but for what it is, it's tasty

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Although it's meant as a holiday drink, I can imagine drinking it in the summer also. The fruitiness is not too sweet. I can discern the caramel or dark wheat but not so much the nutty flavors in the description. Strong aftertaste on the tongue. The texture is like a light beer with a hint of bubbles. Easy to enjoy.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours to a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the drinking experiance!

Smells very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!

Taste a peachiness and a hint of the peacans or some other nut.

Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!

A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice!

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

Prosit!

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to Deuane for picking me up a few bottles of this while out in State College. This has to be one of the coolest, retro looking bottle of beer that I've ever come across, right down to the cap. Seems like it jumped out of a time machine from the 50's. Cheers to the graphic artist(s) that designed the artwork for this beer. Poured into my nonic pint glass a clear deep brown amber color reminiscent of cream soda with barely a finger of off white foam. Smells of toasted grain and fresh sweet peaches. Tastes of creamy caramel malt, fresh peaches, and a pleasant nutty bitterness. Medium in both body and carbonation. A very tasty and different take on a holiday beer. Well done.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery