Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark amber coloring with one finger head that dissipated slowly. Lacing apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow, what an intriguing nose. The peach tones nearly overwhelm everything. I've had beer with an apricot nose before but never a peach nose.

T & M: Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but not overly so, just slightly watery. Peach tones come through initially but do not overwhelm. Finish has a hint of pecan. Nice smooth drinking brew that I can see myself drinking throughout the holidays. Good job in not making the peach sweetness cloying.

D: Definitely drinkable, good work Spoetzl. I'm always pleased when the little brewery in Shiner cranks out a quality brew.

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice winter option. Good alternative to the typical dark Winter Warmers.

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%

A: deep chestnut brown, thin layer of white head, minimal lacing

S: nose is all peach with hints of strawberry and vanilla in the background, very fruity, I'm amazed by how peachy this is.

T: taste feature fruitiness up front, not quite as peachy as the nose, notes of cherry and pecan come through, herbal notes on the finish

Mf: light body, mellow carbonation

O: really nice aroma, not sure how they pulled off the peach but I'm impressed. Not really getting the dunkelweizen character, but for what it is, it's tasty

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Although it's meant as a holiday drink, I can imagine drinking it in the summer also. The fruitiness is not too sweet. I can discern the caramel or dark wheat but not so much the nutty flavors in the description. Strong aftertaste on the tongue. The texture is like a light beer with a hint of bubbles. Easy to enjoy.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours to a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the drinking experiance!

Smells very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!

Taste a peachiness and a hint of the peacans or some other nut.

Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!

A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice!

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

Prosit!

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to Deuane for picking me up a few bottles of this while out in State College. This has to be one of the coolest, retro looking bottle of beer that I've ever come across, right down to the cap. Seems like it jumped out of a time machine from the 50's. Cheers to the graphic artist(s) that designed the artwork for this beer. Poured into my nonic pint glass a clear deep brown amber color reminiscent of cream soda with barely a finger of off white foam. Smells of toasted grain and fresh sweet peaches. Tastes of creamy caramel malt, fresh peaches, and a pleasant nutty bitterness. Medium in both body and carbonation. A very tasty and different take on a holiday beer. Well done.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Pours a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the beer.aroma is very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!Taste is of peaches a hint of vanilla and the roasted peacans very balanced for a fruit beer. Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!
A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice! Im going to hide one of these away for the 4th of July.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Clear, dark amber/ruby/brown glowing hues. Mediocre head, 1/4 inch, dirty tan foam. Medium livelyness.

Smell is mostly of peaches, nutty malts, obviously the pecans. Sweet, fruity and some caramel tones.

Cascading fruity/flowery tastes. Juicy peaches and some melon, soft wheat middle and a nutty/caramel wheat malt finish. Surprisingly fruity, but the peach flavor is balanced and natural tasting.

Mouthfeel is light and thin. Carbonation faded quickly, wish it hadn't.

Drinkability was pretty good, considering. Pretty tasty, interesting combination of ingredients. Don't know how much I'd want one one a cold holiday night. This is way more of a summer beer. Unique and one of the few decent brews Spoetzl makes. Nice job.

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Strong, malty aroma has a firm overtone of peach, sweet and tempting but not too sweet. Got a nutty hint, no doubt from the pecans. Pours a clear sienna with a fairly thick buff head. Peach dominates the flavor, but does not overwhelm the malty, nutty, earthy and hoppy notes - hop bitterness nicely balances the sweetness from the peaches. Texture has average body and plenty of lively fizz. Anytime is the season for good beer!

3.96/5  rDev +11.2%