Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,365 | Reviews: 385
3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Interesting taste, with a fruity zing. Had to read about it here to figure out the fruit was peach, underlaid with pecans. The comparison to fruitcake is apt, but in a good way: doesn't taste stale or dull by any means. Enjoyed it very much last night as a complement to Texas bar-b-q at "The County Line on the Lake" in Austin.

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Flavors are toasted malt, dark chocolate, and light cherry--peaches come out as it warms. This one is a nice malty holiday treat. Not traditional for the style, but a good beer.

3.06/5  rDev -13.8%

Clear red colored beer with a small light brown colored head.

Smells of candied ginger and malt. Smell some brown sugar and spruce tree. Lesser scent of blackberry and some eucalyptus tree.

Starts out malty and a little sweet with a taste of dried fruit. Weird flavor I can only describe as licorice.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a weird beer that I wouldn't want a six pack of.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Sweet with the perfect amount of dry bitterness I love. You can taste the pecans, not so much the peaches. I love almost all of the shiner offerings, but yet will tell hold nothing back just cause I'm from Texas. I feel like it could use just a little move uph but that's just me.but over all a decent beer for 10 a sixxer.

3.64/5  rDev +2.5%

Perfect beer for a holiday meal. Though the peaches and pecans cone through, they are subtle and well balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

I first got this beer in 2012, before I really started drinking craft beer, and I just loved it. I drank a bunch of it that season, and when it came out in 2013, I grabbed some right away, and took it back to Georgia to share with my family.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for it as much last year. It was ok, but I only got a bare hint of the peaches and pecans, it didn't seem to have the balance, and there was a slight aftertaste that I didn't care for.

So, I was really pleased with the release this year. I got a 12-pack in cans, and it's right back where I remembered it from two years ago. Nice malt base, the peaches and pecans are back with the nice balance between the sweetness and the hops. I don't know if the bottles I got last year were just an off case, but they were sealed in a cardboard box, so they should have been okay.

Anyway, get this in cans if available, and enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!

4.48/5  rDev +26.2%

Nice and fruity without being overly fruity and cloying. A little thin throughout, but I was actually pleased. Don't think of spruce and cinnamon.

Finally, a holiday brew that isn't the same old amber with "holiday" spices. If I want to taste pumpkin I'll eat pumpkin pie or a pumpkin donut or drink a pumpkin latte. You ever eat pumpkin? It's terrible. Enough about that.
This beer brings out the holiday spirit with peaches and pecans. A real nice combo. It's not too heavy so you will enjoy a few. Clean aftertaste. Happy holidays to you.

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%

A shiner beer I really like. The pour was a straw yellow with a good head. The smell had peach and pecan but also what smelled like Belgian wheat which gives off a banana scent. The taste was nice with heavy notes such as bread and pecans in the beginning and mellowing out with the semi-sweet peach coming through on the finish. Very enjoyable.

3.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Interesting beer. "Brewed with pecans, peaches, natural flavor and caramel color". Aroma is of faint peach and malty sweetness. Flavor has the malty taste and a hint of fresh peaches. Decent mouthfeel. Goes down well and leaves a little pecan flavor at the end. Getting a little of that weird dry feeling that you sometimes get when eating fresh pecans, maybe its just me. Overall, pretty well balanced and a nice change from the overly dry spiced beers that are abundant around the holidays !

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%

Visual: This beer has a golden-caramel color. It's exactly what I would expect a Christmas beer to look like.

Scent: The aroma of peaches overpowers the other scents of this beer. After reading that roasted pecans play a role in this beer, only then did I noticed the pecans.

Flavor: Peaches, peaches, and more peaches. The peach flavor is really what makes this beer, but it actually is very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Easily the easiest beer to go down thus far. Even a non-beer drinker would enjoy this beer.

Overall: I was slightly hesitant to try a cheer beer, but after tasting it, it opened up a whole new range of possibilities in the future. In other words, I was pleasantly surprised, and I would recommend. I drank this beer after a cold night run while I was taking a hot shower. There's not many better feelings than that.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

A odd beer that I spotted at publix after work, after noticing that their where a few other holiday beers already on the shelves.

Ive never really had anything that good from shiner, but the use of peaches and pecans really seems pretty crazy, so I had to try it.

Oddly enough it works. The mix of dunklewisen, peaches, and pecans give this beer a excellent buttery/toffee smell that is very festive.

The beer itself is very rich, buttery, and nutty all at the same time. A great purchase.

I might even pick up another 6 pack..........Hell it was on sale.

It might even be the best holiday beer I try this season (it was better than a pumpkin stout I picked already)
Give it a shot!

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%

Served from the bottle into a wheat beer glass. The first of my 2014 Twelve Beers of Christmas.

A- Poured a very dark and clear reddish brown color with visible carbonation, off-white soapy head dissipated quickly and left no lace.

S- Lots of sweet and syrupy peach notes, some toasted malts, and nutty notes.

T- Dominant notes of very sweet and artificial peach, almost like a peach syrup. There are also some sweet bread, light pecan notes, and light spices.

M-Medium body, low carbonation, and slightly watery finish.

O- The descriptions of this beer sounded very intriguing, but the peach flavor is a bit cloying and very artificial tasting. The pecan flavor was very subtle and pleasant. It is certainly a one-of-a-kind beer for the season that lacks the usual holiday spices, but still manages to evoke the season.

4.01/5  rDev +13%

Shiner Holiday Cheer
12 oz. brown glass bottle, coded "325 13 A-1P 08:32" (I have no idea what that means or how fresh it is. I hope that's not the 325th day of 2013!)
$1.83 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Who would have expected a dunkelweizen to be the holiday beer from a brewery in Texas? Well that makes perfect sense given the long history of German-immigrant brewers in Texas, and that of the Spoetzl Brewery as well (since 1909). Of course, there's really nothing traditional about this beer either as it's brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans as well!

It doesn't exactly look like a "Bavarian-style dark wheat" considering that it's quite clear (I guess it's a kristalweiss), and it has a pretty standard sized head of yellowed khaki. With that said, it's medium-light in body with a fairly moderate carbonation that leaves it silky smooth across the tongue. It looks to me like a Munich dunker, or a dark Vienna lager, but it doesn't matter anyway because once you get to the taste you'll realize that the designation doesn't matter, this is a beer that doesn't really fit any style category.

You can smell the peach in the nose. It's juicy and bright, and it appears in the flavor as well, but not all of the time. Each sip gives you a little bit of a different take on it, sometimes revealing more of the pecan, sometimes more of the malt, and sometimes more of that great peach flavor (probably depending on how much you bring into your mouth, and how long you let it sit before swallowing it). It finishes dry with a toasty, ashen edge.

It's unique, and you've got to give them credit for originality. Additionally, I feel all of the components work together, and stand out at least a little bit on their own. It's balanced by a firm bitterness, and it's pretty nicely polished. It's certainly worth trying!

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

Yay! Holiday!

A : Pours a two fingered fluffy head, brown cranberry body. 3.75/5.

S : wet smells, like a wet towel, with cling peaches and spice. Aroma is faint though. 3.5/5.

T : pecan. Nutmeg. Faint Peach Pie with spices. Malted barley. Hop at the end. Pretty good cornucopia. 3.75/5.

M : lightly creamy, carbonated. Ends nippy and tart. 3.25/5.

O : I'd have it again, but i probably wouldn't buy it again. Nice change of pace. 3.41/5.

3.8/5  rDev +7%

I was prepared to be disappointed, since their bock, the only other Shiner beer I've had, is a poor example of that style. But I was pleasantly surprised with this one. And, for the price, (a little more than 2 dollars for a 24 oz bottle), it is one of the tastiest beers I've had. After guzzling this one, I'm going back for more.

Love the fruity notes of this beer.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Always look forward to this coming out. First time I tried it, I was kind of like no not really, but once I got it on tap it changed my mind. If you get it in a bottle find something to pour it in as it improves as it breaths. The peach and pecan are right there in your face. Best experience with this beer was on a rooftop bar when it was snowing :)

Tastes like Captain Crunch. So, there's that going for it. Drinkable, and a little sweet with fruity notes throughout.

Nice and fruity. Like the label says - full of Holiday Cheer.

The Shiner Holiday Cheer was a good seasonal beer. I do not remember everything about this beer. It has been so long since I have had it, but from what I do remember it was that too strong, or too light. For a seasonal beer it was actually really good. Also the taste of this beer was not really all that bad actually.

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The body has a dark garnet red color with visible carbonation inside. The pour produced a tall light tan head with good retention and lacing.

Smell: There are loads of ripe and over ripe peaches, nectarines and plums. Behind all the fruit it has a light white bready maltiness.

Taste / Palate: The aroma is matched on the tongue. It’s sweet up front with loads of stone fruit with a touch of tart black cherry. Mild hop bitterness come in to add a nice balance of bitterness in the finish.

Notes: This is an amazingly complex and well-balanced beer from the Spoetzl Brewery!

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%

A weird and sweet beer. This is more like a dessert drink. After a big holiday meal this beer should just about seal the deal, so-to-speak, on your slumber. Take a big swig of this whilst downing copious amounts of Aunt Bessie's Triple Decker Cinnamon Plum Pudding. It will be a great compliment.

4.06/5  rDev +14.4%

Sampling right now on 2/13/14 but had this one once before in 2012. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a brandy snifter glass.

Pours a dark reddish-amber in color with a 1+-finger off-white foamy head that settles down quickly. Some spotty lacing is seen. This is 'brewed with peaches and pecans and with natural flavor and caramel color'. Love the aroma when first opened and poured as the peaches and caramel hits the nose. Nice taste of peaches with wheat flavor with spices that goes down easy. Slight sweet aftertaste that isn't bitter. One of the better Shiner's in my opinion.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner