Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Poured a thick, light-tan head with appropriate weizen retention. Pristine copper beer.

S-Overwhelimingly of peaches, sweet and fruity. One-dimensional.

T-The peaches are very prominent. Some malts were under there somewhere... When malts did poke through the peach, they tended toward bready and caramelly. Some nuances of the added pecans also appeared subtley. No bitterness. This brew was sweet and peachy.

M-Moderate-high carbonation. Medium body. The sweetness adds a lot of perceived fullness to the body.

D-Low. This beer is overly fruity, making a beer that's a bit too one-dimensional, focusing on the fruit while seemingly leaving the rest of the beer behind.

CHSLBrew, Dec 29, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance - Light brown with slight caramel hue to it. The wheat gives it good head retention. Filtered brew.

Smell - Light peach aroma with some of the wheat malt present as well. Slightly nutty aroma is also there.

Taste - Soft peach flavor with refreshing wheat malt. The nutty flavor is in the beginning of it and it finishes with a nice sweet peach. The hops give it a soft bitterness but are mostly there to support the malt profile.

Mouthfeel - Very refreshing and smooth carbonation with a light body.

Drinkability - Overall, I would have to say fairly good drinkability. I like combination of the pecan and peach flavor. It is a sweeter brew, but its a nice seasonal type variety.

DubBrewer, Dec 29, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the beer.aroma is very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!Taste is of peaches a hint of vanilla and the roasted peacans very balanced for a fruit beer. Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!
A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice! Im going to hide one of these away for the 4th of July.

WakeandBake, Dec 26, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

A-Bright copper with a light tan head that hung on well, reduced a bit and left decent lace.

S-Fairly robust peach aroma, not fake at all. The aroma is very natural with a bit of dryness in the background from the pecans

T-Tasty, slightly tart peaches with a pleasant spicy hop kick and a nice astringent finish courtesy of the pecans.This one is very bright and fresh on the palate.

M-Medium-light body with a nice tart crispness from the peaches. MAybe just a tad on the thin side and starts to feel a bit sticky after a while. Decent lingering flavours.

D-Wow! A different take on a holiday brew with peaches and pecans...a nice southern twist from Shiner. This one is a winner IMHO. I really like the fresh, real peach taste combined with the tannic dryness from the pecans. A well balanced and flavourful brew. Wish I had more of this one! Although they call this a dunkleweizen? I find no dunkle or weizen in here at all...regardless I enjoyed it!

Deuane, Dec 25, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Deck the halls with a twist-top bottle, poured into a glass fa la la la.

'Tis my Kolsch stange that I'm using, fa la la la la la la la la...

The brew is clear and reddish-copper, fa la la la la la la la la...

Fine lace from ecru foam a-topping, fa la la la la la la la la...

Ok-Now...enough of that caroling... fa la la la la la la la la *Punch! Bang! Kick! Clatter, feedback screech, clang! Pow!*

Ahem,sorry. The aroma of the drink is fruity-sweet with a floral character and a soft toasted note, marinated with a clove or two in a bowl of canned peach syrup.

The taste is sweet and oddly fruity, with canned peaches in the forefront and a dry bitter earthiness in the finish and aftertaste.

Light-medium in body and fruit juicy with plenty of carbonation.

Merry Christmas 2008/Happy Holidays/Kwanzaa/ Hannukah, etc. BA, and thanks for the bottle Dr. Brad!

cvstrickland, Dec 24, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -29%

Dark mahogany in color, finger of head that stays; it's very clear, and that's not quite to style, but all in all, very nice looking.

Smells overwhelmingly like cherries, and a little yeast action.

Wow. This tastes like fruit cocktail. I mean, if there wasn't a slightly bitter finish, I would think I was back in my school cafeteria slurping something 'in heavy syrup'.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation, slightly drying.

Where's the beer? This is pretty strange, very non-dunkelweizen. If you like really sweet, fruity alcoholic beverages though, this one is for you.

bboven, Dec 22, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this one at The Chimes... 12 oz. bottle served with a pilsner glass.

This one surprised me... not a typical take on a Holiday beer. This was almost more of a peach-infused beer than anything else. A very dominant peach taste, but also pecans and other spices.

It wasn't bad, really. I could have gone for multiple in a session no problem, but there is always other beer to check out.

theboozecruise, Dec 22, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -46.6%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

TeeCee, Dec 19, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

When poured into a glass, an inch thick tan head forms over the dark brown with ruby accented body. The head fades slowly to a ring around the edge of the beer. A nice lacing forms in the glass and lasts all the way until the beer is finished.

The smell is an interesting combination of peaches, pears and nuts. There is a nice hop background to it, which really brings out the sweetness to the scent. It's not so sweet that it deters an avid beer drinker from wanting to drink it. The smell sets up the taste. A smooth combination of Malts, peaches and apricots crosses the tongue. A nice nutty finish of pecans rounds off the flavor. The flavor lingers after you've finished drinking.

This is a medium bodied beer that is light on the carbonation. It's smooth and very easy to drink.

Normally I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but this one was really enjoyable, surprisingly so actually. When I first smelled the beer and the sweetness to it, I figured it would be like drinking fruit juice mixed with beer. It was nothing like that. I found this rather enjoyable to drink.

Contagion, Dec 19, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

I wasn't going to spend the time reviewing this beer until I read that it was brewed with peaches and pecans. So...

A: Forms a nice head that sticks around. Quite dark in color, but the fact that they mentioned the addition of caramel color makes it feel like their cheating.

S: Sure enough - dominant peachy smell, with butty, bready underlayers.

T: Peachy keen. Somewhat sour, and malty flavors, but they fade pretty quickly, and there's not much finish to it.

M: Almost creamy, but tends toward watery. Somewhat insufficient carbonation. Not terrible, but nothing great.

D: The peach flavor is novel, but I'm not compelled to have more. I'll add the bottle to my Christmas collection, but I'm think I'm pretty much done.

MDekker, Dec 18, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Pours something of a crimson or garnet color with a two and half finger beige head that disappates to half a finger. Looks good.
S- Peach. and peach. a bit of wheat smell. the peach smell is overwhelming.
T- More peach. I know the company was billing this as a dunkelweizen with peach and nut, but there is no real nut flavor. It's like peach with a shot of dunkel. On the positive side it tastes like real peach instead of fake fruit flavor like in so many beer.
M- Good mouthfeel. not too watery.
O- Wouldn't be that bad if the peach flavor wasn't so freaking overwhelming. A one trick pony.

jsprain1, Dec 15, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

Picked up a single to add to my Christmas beers collection. Decided to try it when I definitely needed some holiday cheer after a crappy day at work. Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: The color is great - a beautiful deep coppery brown, kind of like Coke. Light carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Light brown, fluffy 2-finger head fades incredibly fast to a skim on the top. Not much lacing throughout, sadly.

Smell: The peaches are incredibly upfront in this brew. Kind of unique compared to the other holiday beers out there. Really nice note of caramel chewiness and a buttery, nutty scent. The bottle claims pecans, but I don't know if I could discern that from the smell. There is a hint of a metallic smell as the head fades.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The nutty, maltiness is deliciously complemented by the peaches. The sweetness is not overpowering - not saccharine-like, more subtle. There's a maple syrup-like quality to it. There's also a little spiciness, like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. The carbonation is perfect for me - very much like a soda. The mouthfeel is very light and clear for such flavors thanks to the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high thanks to the bubbles, and they help remove the stickiness typically left from a beer like this. I really enjoy the taste. Despite the peaches seeming more like a summer fruit, I think this is an excellent accompaniment to holiday celebrations.

kels, Dec 12, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance - a robust pour into the Sam Adams curvy glass yields a nice two finger manila head atop a clear, dark amber beer. Crests and lattices of lace form as the head drops back to a thick cover.

Aroma - peaches for sure, fruity but not excessively sweet.

Taste - a base malty sweetness, built upon by the sweetness of the peaches. I wouldn't really think peaches and pecans would ever go together, but they work well here. The light tannic character of the pecan offsets the fruit sugars enough to prevent this from being quickly brushed off as just another fruit/veg beer. The peaches are at the fore of the taste, the pecans showing up on the swallow towards the back of the tongue. The swallow allows the tannins to join with whatever hops are there for some balancing bitterness, but I'm thinking pecans not hops at this point. The finish is still a remaining trail of peach, a certain dryness and a bit of roast from the nuts. Unusally tasty.

Mouthfeel - crisp, medium to a touch light in body. Some smoothness, all playing well to accentuate the flavor IMO.

Drinkability - maybe it's just a fad, but I'm digging this beer and contemplating a few more sixers to share around the family and 'hood. Kudos to HawkinMI for alerting me to these babies over in NKY.

brewdlyhooked13, Dec 12, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Single bottle from a create-a-six-pack of holiday/x-mas seasonals.

A- deep cranberry juice color, crystal clear. Small tan head, steady carbonation throughout.
S- Huge peach jam scent- no hops, malt, or supposed pecans.
T-Huge front of peaches, then a second wave of the pecan's nuttiness and sweetness. Also after the peaches is a slight bitter note-- not very pronounced whatsoever.
M- Light and thin. The carbonation is very subtle, not biting or crisp really.
D- Very smooth texture, but the sweetness and peach flavor are quite out of balance. Probably couldn't drink more than two at a time. Would go really well with desert however.

fctoaster, Dec 12, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to armock for this brew.

Pours a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy off-white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some peach, toffee. The taste is malty, with a very nice peachy note, with some toffee thrown in. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a tasty brew, quite different.

Wasatch, Dec 12, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours a 1/2 inch off white head.Beer is dark brown with minimal lacing through out.

Very nice smell of sweet peaches and some malts afterwards. Wish I could get this beer as an air freshener.

Tastes of roasted malts, peach and some hops at finish.A bit of metallic taste towards end. Not your typical dunkelweizen.

Mouth feel is light with a smooth finish. Mid to high carbonation and a slight bitter after taste.

Drink ability is great. Overall good seasonal beer, another solid product from shiner, one of my favorite winter seasonal beers even though its not your typical winter beer.

angelmonster, Dec 09, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into weizen glass.

Really, this beer should be viewed as an American Dark Wheat as it shares virtually nothing in common with a dunkelweizen. It's not that it's a bad dunkel, it's just that it simply IS NOT a dunkel. That being said, I'm rating this as a flavored wheat and not a dunkelweizen.

A - Perfectly clear, with a rust colored hue. Off white head rises between a finger and two. Retention is fairly short, no lace.

S - Huge peach aroma, as if one had been freshly sliced. Not much noticable malt or hop character but I believe the roasted pecans are pulling through somewhat.

T - A sweetness comes on at first with some of the roasted pecan flavor. The brew dries out a bit and sourness from the wheat malt makes an appearance. Mid palate sees a spike in the peach flavor, which tapers quickly into a sourness and earthy, almost metallic bitterness.

M - Fairly light bodied with lively carbonation. High carbonation and light body works well with the peach character, but does little to enhance the malt profile.

D - The peach is definitely the focus of this beer but it isn't overpowering. A simple beer overall, but certainly tasty. One of Shiner's better offerings.

PatrickJR, Dec 09, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear brown/dark amber color with some ruby hues in the light. A large inch and a half light tan head forms on top and lingers with decent retention leaving no lace behind.

This beer is incredibly fragrant, and I think I like it. As soon as you open the bottle you get hit in the face with fruit, and even with the glass sitting a little over a foot away, I can still smell it. That peach they used in the brewing definitely comes through and add a wonderful fruit quality that dominates the nose. Actually, I really can't get past the peach, so as much as I like the nose, I'm disappointed that I can't get some familiar characteristics.

The taste is ok. Again, the peach takes a dominant role, and I'm not opposed to it. It's certainly a nice twist on a traditional Dunkelweizen. The malted wheat has a soft characteristic, kind of grainy but not a whole lot going on with it. I don't get the pecans at all. The peach dominates the flavor profiles as well as the nose. Sigh.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of lively small bubbled carbonation. Very crisp on the palate.

Drinkability is moderate. A tasty beer, but the overbearing peach flavor will definitely limit the consumption of this beer.

Goliath, Dec 07, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 12oz twist off bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Beer pours reddish brown and bold looking with still enough clarity to see the light through with a solid finger of head that quickly dies. Lacing does persist on the sides of the glass and it is a very good looking beer.

Smell- Wow. I really didn't expect to smell the peaches and pecans that thickly in the scent. The peaches are the most peach I've smelled in a beer since Lindemans Peche, and the pecans are nutty and roasty, very thick on the nose, really a surprise that it also smells like beer with hops and malt in there as well. I would call out off flavors, but they all seem to back up nuts and fruit which are in the brew as well. Very interesting and I don't know what to make of this beer.

Taste- Neat! The peach carries over very highly right into the taste as well. I'm not so sure about dunkelweizen although there does seem to be some wheat content. I can catch the pecans as well on the finish, but not upfront. This is the most interesting winter beer I've had this year to be certain. Malts are thick enough to make it a fairly smooth drinking beer. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it at this point.

Mouthfeel- Mouthfeel is very corn macro swill like, the finish isn't quite where I would want it to be. the body is about medium and I would have to say the carbonation is slightly overcarbonated.

Drinkability- This is a really hard one on drinkability, it's one you have to try just to sample those flavors, but it may not exactly be your cup of tea. After drinking the whole beer, I'm still not exactly sure if I like it or not. There are good and bad aspects to this beer. That said, I'm glad I have a six pack to re-evaluate at my leisure.

blakesell, Dec 06, 2008

A- Nice ruby amber colored appearance.

S- Can smell peaches and an overall citrus scent with a hint of hops. Kind of smells like a Capri Sun.

T- Definitely a fruit beer, but the peach taste is suprisingly not as strong as I thought it would be. Can taste some spices with a slightly hoppy finish.

M- Has a slight fruit punch feel to it, but it goes down smoothly. Not too hoppy at all.

D- Very drinkable. More drinkable than most fruit beers.

Bagman007, Dec 06, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

A - Poured a nice ruby mahogany color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Has a very peachy smell some malt sweetness

T - Has a sweet malt start then the blast of peach flavors

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This isn't a bad beer as long as its pretty cool but as it gets warmer the peaches come out all that much more until its almost undrinkable but its worth trying as long as its cool

armock, Dec 06, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

gives me about a one finger head that disappears pretty quickly. has an appealing amber color to it, and carbonation is visible.

smells of peach nectar really...i can't pick up much else. but yes it smells pretty good.

the taste is not nearly as sweet as i would expect. a bit bitter with a sweet finish, but for sure not too sweet.

the mouthfeel is a little to carbonated for me. but other than that i don't mind it.

i would say the drinkability is easily there on this brew.

Oh i just thought i would add that i found out the ABV is 5.4

heath1agnew, Dec 04, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Brewed with peaches? Did they add anything else? I'm not a big fan of overly fruit beers and this one is really, really fruity. Halfway through it and has more in common with a B&J Fuzzy Navel Wine Cooler then a beer.

Despite that... it isn't awful. I managed to finish the entire bottle but I'm glad I didn't buy a six-pack.

cadenwhitaker, Dec 02, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

This holiday offering pours a rich, dark ruby-tinged brown color with a bubbly head of light cocoa foam about two-fingers high. Active carbonation bubbles and spotty lacing in the glass. Poor head retention.

The nose is like liquid peaches - very fruity, with hints of pear, honey and very subtle spices. The nose reminds me of the syrup in canned fruit more than anything.

The palate offers a very fruity punch right up front, but isn't as sweet as the nose would have you believe. There is a rather nice balance of peachy sweetness and nutty dryness going on here. I detect ever-so-slight hop bitterness and a subtle roasted malt character that counters the fruitiness of this beer rather well.

This is a medium bodied wheat beer with very ample carbonation - maybe slightly over-attenuated - and a dry, slightly bitter finish.

A very drinkable holiday beer, and a nice change of pace from the heavier "barley-based" beers of winter. I would have liked to have seen a bit more spice in the beer and just a bit less carbonation. Having said that, though, this beer exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

beerphilosopher, Dec 01, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -5.4%

Reviewed 11/22/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear dark brown-reddish color body. Big cream colored head, somewhat diminishing. Strong aroma of peaches, some dark malts. Almost like an acidic aroma. Peachy, pecany taste, medium body. Tasty, peachy aftertaste. Nice grainy taste, maybe wheat or something. Nice fruity taste from the peaches. Somewhat carbonated.

jujubeast6000, Nov 29, 2008