Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,365 | Reviews: 385
3.23/5  rDev -9%

Twist-off bottle. Always a good start. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

Pours a crimson color with a single-finger off-white head. A pretty good amount of spotty lacing and a light lace ring around the edges of the glass.

The initial nose brings me some red Twizzler, super-rope-type smells with quite a bit of sweetness and some cherry. Some bright peach is definitely there but I'm not getting any of that pecan. A bit of of caramel. Not half bad; I'll be the first to admit that I was expecting this to be quite terrible.

The flavor has loads of Peach Jolly Rancher character and a lot of artificial peach character. Just overwhelming here. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of this. A bit of peaches and cream throughout with a bit of light sweetness. The feel is a bit creamy with a medium body. I can't really drink much of this. The peach character is fairly fake and quite overwhelming.

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao.

3.56/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my slim, elegant stemmed Rodenbach glass a glowingly clear chestnut color with a big, dense & creamy 2" settled head. Moderate fine carbonation visibly uprising. As I move the glass side to side, the head barely moves - just like a good wheat beer. Nice thin rings of lace all the way down.

Very peachy nose first off. Very sweet indeed. The label reads 'brewed with peaches & pecans', and you definitely can pick out the peaches, while the pecans are in the back - but still detectable. Like I just mentioned, this is a very sweet smelling brew.

Interesting mingling of the peaches and pecans in the taste. Again, the peaches take the forefront, but the nuttiness somehow keeps it from getting cloying, (like I was fearing from the scent). You actually get a bitterness that reminds me of the skin of a walnut - but I guess that;s close enough. I do believe there's a teeny-tiny bit of clove wayyy underneath all of this, and I'll have to agree with my senses seeing this is a dunkleweissen.

Mouthfeel is between medium & light bodied with a gentle and soft texture, (thanks to the wheat malt). The level of carbonation is noticably below the 'normal' hefeweissen, but it still feels nice and fine.

Drinkability is good. A little syrupy, sweet for me to have a session, but two might be fine.

Overall a beer that definitely isn't boring or forgettable. When I think of Christmas, peaches aren't the first noun to come to mind. But now that I've tried it, I'm glad I did. If the peach flavor could be knocked down about 25% and replace that with more pecan, I think we'd have one humdinger of a Texan Christmas offering.

3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Holiday Cheer pours a darker, burgundy color. It's clear, and looks deep red with light behind it. I like the color. I was expecting a little haze, being a Dunkelweizen and all. Eh. The head is vanilla colored and only rises to a finger or so in depth before falling quickly. Lacing was definitely on the light side. Not bad.

The nose is rather average. It's fruity up front and features a nice peach scent. It's a little grainy and earthy. Where are the spices? No clove? Nothing? Hmmm. It does feature a light malty scent. Smells a little caramel-esque to me. Yeast is a little noticeable. It needs work. There's just not much going on...besides peach fruitiness.

The flavor may be a notch better. I haven't quite made up my mind. It does have a rather strong peach presence throughout. It's not altogether bad. There might be some light spices, but it's tough to tell. The peach flavor might mask a few things. A bit of a grainy flavor is noted throughout. I'm not appreciating a nutty presence at all. Maybe it's just me. It's a little malty and sweet. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Finishes peachy and sweet. It tastes alright. Better than it smells.

The body is light. Carbonation seems mid-range. There's not enough here to feel smooth, but it isn't a train wreck. Drinkability is rather average. I don't mind a bottle, but the flavor grows a little tiresome. There's just not quite enough flavor there to entertain for multiple bottles. For what it's worth, it goes down easy enough.

Spoetzl Brewery could really improve Holiday Cheer with just a little effort. It'd improve easily with a little less peach, and a little more spice and body. It's just okay. Probably worth a try if you're compelled. But, stick with a single or bottle or two. A six pack seems like a stretch.

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session.

4.42/5  rDev +24.5%

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in North Aurora, IL for $1.50 in Fall 2010.

A beer that will pair excellent with fruitcake if you like fruitcake. Holiday Cheer pours a dark brown with a fruit scent, peaches are the most obvious. It drinks rather smooth as you get a semi-mild taste of different fruits ending in an ever so slight spice. Out of all the beers I've tried to date, this has to be my favorite. The only way to improve this to a 10 of 10 is by adding a slight more texture and taste to it. Definetly a must try if you can find it.

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

On tap in Austin in a pint glass.

A - lovely red/brown color with little to no head or lacing. Looks very festive!

S - not much nose on it; some notes of dried fruit

T - very interesting fruity overtones, with elements of Peach or Appricot? Light bitterness and little to no alcohol

M - decent mouthfeel wih little to know carbonation. Very light

D - moderately drinkable, but due to the sweetness I wouldn't want to drink a bunch of them

Definitely a fun and interesting beer that is worth a try. Not sure I would drink a ton of them in a sitting, but happy I drank one.

3.49/5  rDev -1.7%

A curiosity here - a seasonal ale flavored with peach and pecan. Odd and not necessarily a typical cold-weather brew, but Shiner's always been dependable enough for a good tasting beer. Nonetheless, I'm not overly fond of this one. The sweet flavor is followed by a nutty finish, which sounds well enough, but this is just not one I'd purchase a 6-pack of, at least this year. Maybe next year's batch will be better?

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Nice color of ruby hued golden ale
I really enjoy the nose on this one,peaches dominate with some trace roasty malt & pecan.
Nice peachy ale flavors with the maltiness in the background & a lingering roasty pecan finish. Not at all overbearing on any of the flavors & I love the peach flavors!
Nice light mouth feel here, nothing over the top or under done. Very approuchable beer on this account.
One of, no deffinitley my favorite of the holiday ales & very good price point to boot.
Drink up for it will be gone soon!

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

This was the first holiday beer i saw this year. Bought it in late october, Tried one mid-nov.

Pours a nut-ruby color. off-white dirty looking head maintains alittle with little lace.

Mind carbonation sends peach jam on toaste to the nose. Toasted malts and pecan round out the flavor profile.

A mild hop with slight bittering leaves the mouth slight dry with lingering esters of peach.

Overall an interesting holiday beer id say by its self. A good reason to break out those tasteing glasses for family to try before they commit and waist a good beer.

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

I picked this up at the Class Six at Travis AFB.

Appearance- golden brown color, good size head

Smell- malt, peaches, pecan, interesting

Taste- mostly peaches, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- pretty good, I love the flavor. The flavor of peaches in this beer are awesome.

3.57/5  rDev +0.6%

Out of a bottle at The Locker Room in Columbus. Best by? Date of 1/23/11 on the bottle.

A: Wasnt served with a glass, go figure. I gave slightly above average, as what I can see is a nice amber color. I don't like that I don't have a proper glass so I can see it. Thus why I distance give it worse or better than I did.

S: Wow, this one is nice. First note is toasted pecans, peach, and caramel. The peach almost takes back seat to the pecans.

T: To me, the pecan is dominant. The caramel melds with the peach to remind of a cobbler. This is not bad.

M: Smooth, if a little thin. Finishes clean.

D: Not too shabby. It's easier to drink than I expected.

Overall, this one is decent. Give it a shot. If I see it again when I am feeling better, I will review it again. Maybe my tastebuds are messed up right now.

3.23/5  rDev -9%

Reviewing from notes from 11/11/10

A- dark walnut w/ a little ruby red in it, some bubbly head, left slight lacing.

S- sweet, dark fruit with some peach/apricot that tended to dominate

T- Apricot and caramel really dominated the taste here. It was sweet and maybe even a little tangy. I wasn't thrilled with how the flavors mixed.

M- Very smooth beer, about what I'd expect from a holiday brew

D- The sweetness really was a touch too much for me, it could have had a bit more balance or a little more restraint with the fruitiness

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Color: pours golden brown and sits a clear, deep amber with a thick head and good lacing

Smell: fresh peaches dominate with sweet strawberry shortcake and pecans in tow

Taste: aroma translates well onto palate with the addition of a slight bitterness and bready malt. finish is balanced, somewhat dry and lightly bitter

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: love this one-of-a-kind ideal holiday brew

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

Cool looking festive Christmas bottle poured into a Founders pint glass and rolls out an amber reddish with a pretty decent head atop that has a slight pinkish hue to it...

I'm getting the peaches here as well along with a nutty maltiness that seems spiked with Christmas spices... Almost fruitcake like really... Not overly sweet but the fruit is definitely a player here... Not much of the usual dark wheat found with the style...

Slightly sweet maltiness with a backbone of the fruits present in the aromas... Nuttiness from the pecans... Lots of spiciness as well... Not bad at all...

I liked this one... Not sure I could drink more than a couple but the uniqueness of the flavors would keep me interested for a bit...

3.52/5  rDev -0.8%

2010 version poured into shaker pint glass. Poured an amber coler with a small head that disapated fairly quickly. Aromas of peaches, light brown sugar, and lightly roasted malt. Taste was pretty good: malt, a touch of peaches, nuts, and brown sugar. Out of the offerings I've had from Shiner, this one comes out on top.

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

3.69/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Creamy tan head holds up at about an inch. Depending on the pour, the head has pretty good legs or just drops down right away. After four of these over the last few days it's about 50/50. Body color is a clear dark amber. The nucleation ring on the bottom of the glass kicks up a steady stream of carbonation.

Peaches dominate the smell, with a dark malt rounding out the edges. This is a fairly tart peach, verging on a nectarine. I'm glad it's not a sweetened peach like cobbler filling. Taste actually slides back and is like pie filling. It is a juicy peach filling and comes off fairly natural. At this point the pecans sneak in and give a crunchy pie crust finish.

Mouthfeel is a little syrupy and sweet. The peach aftertaste has a fizzy character that has nothing to do with the carbonation. This is a great dessert beer and would be great for a holiday party. I don't see this as a dunkelweizen as more of a straight up fruit beer.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

Clear, dark amber/ruby/brown glowing hues. Mediocre head, 1/4 inch, dirty tan foam. Medium livelyness.

Smell is mostly of peaches, nutty malts, obviously the pecans. Sweet, fruity and some caramel tones.

Cascading fruity/flowery tastes. Juicy peaches and some melon, soft wheat middle and a nutty/caramel wheat malt finish. Surprisingly fruity, but the peach flavor is balanced and natural tasting.

Mouthfeel is light and thin. Carbonation faded quickly, wish it hadn't.

Drinkability was pretty good, considering. Pretty tasty, interesting combination of ingredients. Don't know how much I'd want one one a cold holiday night. This is way more of a summer beer. Unique and one of the few decent brews Spoetzl makes. Nice job.

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a very dark amber to brown color with light tan head that is nice at first, but recedes to a thin rim. Nose has plenty of peach and toasty aromas, maybe some black tea. On the palate the peach comes through nicely with a wheat cracker malt flavor. Extra nutty sweetness. Finishes like a dessert cake.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce brown bottle with no date code, poured into a weizen glass.

This was a clear beer, dark amber in color. A fair amount of bubbles and a finger of off-white head were present.

Smells were of sweet malts and strong amount of peach. A little bit of breadiness and a hint of pecan aroma were there too.

The peaches and malts dominated the taste - I didn't taste the pecans. It seemed neither sweet or bitter to me; it was malty and dry. Mouthfeel was smooth and moderately carbonated.

I think they did a good job of marrying a peach beer with a dark wheat beer. Probably not something I'd want to have more than one or two at a time, but good nonetheless.

4.02/5  rDev +13.2%

From a 12 ounce bottle with a twist-off cap.

Appearance: Thin tan head and a clear dark reddish brown body.

Smell: Dominated by ripe peach. Can't detect the pecan.

Taste: Peach and nuttiness. Finishes dry. Not nearly as much peach in the taste as there is in the smell.

Drinkability: Most drinkable beer I've had in a long time. I think the dry finish and fruity taste help a lot with the drinkability.

2.46/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a deep copper mahogany color with a one finger head with moderate retention. Nice cap of foam, and a touch of lace are left behind.

S- Completely dominated by peaches. At least they smell like actual peaches, and not completely artificial as many fruit beers can.

T- Again, mostly dominated by fruit, this time slightly artificial. There is a hint of caramel and sweet malt on the finish, but you've got to be looking for it. Pecans are nowhere to be found.

M- A little on the thin side, but good enough for what it is.

D- Decent at best. Peach flavor becomes overwhelming after about half a glass. I'm not sure that I'll be finishing this six pack.

In the end, if they were trying to make a peach beer, they nailed it. That being said, this is most certainly NOT a dunkelweizen. Furthermore, I'm a little pissed at Spoetzl honestly... I see the neck of the bottle peaking above the cardboard holder, and it claims to be "A Bavarian style dark wheat". "Sounds great!" I thought to myself. It wasn't until I got home that the little tidbit about peaches and pecan showed itself at the very bottom of the label. In the end, I guess it is my fault for not reading the entire label in the store, but honestly, if you're making something that smacks you across the face with peach like this... it needs to be more clearly advertised as such.

3.69/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a light brown color with a frothy beige head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma is a nice blend of peaches, caramelized pecans, wheat, toasted bread, and a hint of bourbon. The flavor has some peaches in syrup notes upfront, along with a pecan nuttiness, a bit of toasted bread and caramel, wheat twang, earthy hops, and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is pretty good. An interesting and unique dunkel, with an amazing aroma but it's too sweet to have more than one.

3.72/5  rDev +4.8%

My first thought here is WOW! Six and a half bucks from a brewery that is meh at best, and I am very impressed. Pours a medium amber color, with a bit of a white head on top. Light to medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation. Huge peach aroma and flavor carry the day here, along with a hint of nuts, some light brown sugar and earth. A very surprising, inviting and delicious "holiday" beer.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner