Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is caramel or light coffee color..with quite a bit of carbonation. Not a whole lot of head though. Nice sticky lace..almost like a watered down syrup. I can definetely smell the peach. Very good tasting. Goes down well. You gotta have one of these.

thomasdidymus55, Dec 03, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a very reddish brown color. Tan thin head disappears quickly.

Well, the label says brewed with peaches and pecans and you get tons of peach on the nose. And it's a real peach smell too, not the kind in gummy candy. There's also some farm stinkiness and sugar.

The peach flavor is up front and dominates the beers. The back end is where Shiner loses me a tad. The bitterness isn't well balanced and the previously pleasant peach flavor is just too much.

A nice surprise and a totally different kind of Holiday beer from Shiner.

NStLincoln, Dec 03, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a reddish-tan with a hefty head which dwindles to ~1/4inch. First smells strongly of peaches, slightly nutty and then peachy lingering. Tastes similar to smell, except tastes more like a dunkelweizen beer. Does not smell all that much like beer to me. The taste is not too strong, with a slightly wheaty finish precluded by light hoppy bite. Feels a bit to fizzy, I could have gone for a slightly greater viscosity with less fizzy carbonation. Overall, a fun beer to try, but not something worth going out of your way for. Very cool bottle, though!

Beerbluesbiology, Dec 02, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +5.4%

It poured a deep clear amber with a white foamy head.

The aroma was pleasant, with peaches at the forefront. I also had a nutty caramel aroma.

The taste didn't really live up to the aroma. It tasted like a regular Shiner but with added flavors built on top. I didn't think the peach aspect was as strong in the taste as it was in the aroma. There was also a nutty flavor lingering about, but unless I was told otherwise, I would not have guessed pecans. It also had a generic holiday spice taste, but for the most part it got lost in the shuffle of the peach and malt flavors

Like almost all Shiner products the mouth feel was very carbonated.

It had a fairly decent drinkability.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it but I don't feel the need to revisit it again until next December. It was good and worth the try, however, there was something too artificial about it. The peach flavor tasted like the peach flavoring in an Arizona Ice Tea, only not as pronounced.

LacquerHead, Dec 02, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into pint glass. Pours ½ finger of beige head. Head fades fast. Color is am amber copper.

Aroma: I can't believe how much the peaches stick out. The pecans show as well. Some caramel and roasted malts. A touch of cocoa.

Taste: Peaches and strawberry fruitiness. Pecans and roasted malts. Chocolate syrup with earthy hops. Interesting.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, fizzy, and roasted. Medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends a bit dry with fruits.

Overall, a very interesting. Somewhat drinkable. Very fruity. At first, I thought I would be able to drink multiples, but quickly found out that one would be enough.

mothman, Dec 01, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

pours out a clear auburn colour with a respectable tan head that sticks a bit and stays a bit longer. light wisps of lace, too. aroma of peaches and popcorn....something i don't think i've ever experienced before in a beer. taste is good deal more of the peaches with a slight hint of roasted nuts, mingling nicely with the sweetness of the malts used. there is some underlying weizen notes of lemon and some spice which actually gives the overall flavour profile some depth and legitimacy. light mouthfeel with a medium at best body provides an easy drinking, yet sort of underwhelming performance. finishes on the dry side which helps things out because if this concoction was sweet and cloying it would be a lot less enjoyable. therefore drinkability is fairly decent.

overall, i don't hate it but do not necessarily like it too much, either. for a winter/holiday/x-mas ale it's interesting but not something i think i would want to revisit or look forward to every year.

budgood1, Nov 30, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a pint sized drinking glass.

Appearance is dark amber or brown. The smell has a slight peach flavor. The taste is where the peach sticks out the most. I could not taste the pecans that are mentioned on the bottle. The mouthfeel is slightly smooth.

A very drinkable beer and much better than I expected it to be.

UHRedCat, Nov 30, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a standard pint glass a dark ruby with a thin diminishing head that leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is very mild caramel and sweet fruit. The taste is an interesting blend of sweet fruits, caramel and mild spice. The beer is quite light but seems a bit undercarbonated. This one was worth trying, but I can't see myself drinking it again.

atsprings, Nov 30, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +4.5%

Huge thanks to my buddy Trevor for this beer. Nice little seasonal trade in person at the COP. I wish I had a weizen glass to serve this in, alas I'll use my favorite pint glass.

A- Creamy wheat head that is very typical of this style. Carbonation generates little pillars of giant bubbles that spark up here and there disrupting the cloudscape. Has pretty good retention with hints of future lacing that I may enjoy.

A solid rusty brown body... umbar if you will, that is easy enough to see through with a back light. This little trick revealed the massive amounts of carbonation pumped into this beer.

S- No wonder this is called cheer! This son of a bitch is Christmas in a bottle! I definitely get the peaches here. Unbelievably strong aroma with a nutty and cherry background. I wish pecan was a bit more portrayed, but this is delicious! There is a hint of fresh air to it... the peaches explode, fade as a breeze of clean air wafts through, and than come back for round two.

T- The flavors can't compare to the nose. I wish they were as amazing, but alas they are muted. It opens malty with some biscuit flavors that linger around until a peach flavor evolves from the back of my palate. Its presence is made known as the malts finish saturating their particular receptor. This fruity sweetness doesn't die off like the malts and actually becomes the finish. The only addition that I can detect is finally the nutty presence that could be pecans, but isn't strong enough to call it so.

M- Medium body which I almost want to call full. It has creamy tendencies, and a bubbly finish. The lingering flavors are perfect. This is probably one of the bigger surprises of my tasting career as of yet.

D- I like this beer a lot. I've had beers from this particular brewery before, and wasn't impressed. This is a whole new level from them. It is easy to drink, tasty, and unique to a point.

Khazadum, Nov 30, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a dark ruby red/brown color, with an off-white head that crackles and pops its way down to nothing in no time. Nice color, but this is my fourth bottle in a week and I've never been able to achieve much of a head on this beer. And life's too short to worry about THAT.

If this were fruit juice or soda, it would smell just fine, but I'm pretty close to being put off by the smell. It's peachy, because I've been told peaches are in this beer, but moreover I feel like I'm smelling a just-opened bottle of Juicy Juice fruit juice, if you're familiar with that stuff. Cherry, grape, peach...it's like a punch in here. The pecans this beer was also brewed with are indiscernible in the nose, as is any real beer-like quality.

Each bottle I've had has been less and less impressive to me, taste-wise. I get some pecans here, and that's nice, but there's a kind of burnt-sugar character that is unpleasant, and the peach flavor borders on nasty, not to mention overpowering, and the overall sweetness is very soda-like. A spiciness like that in various US winter warmers tries to peek through (are these the "natural flavors"?) and I don't get much "Bavarian-style dark wheat" character as promised by the label. Again: soda-like. There's a good beer in here somewhere, I swear, but as is I wouldn't ever buy another 6-pack. Finishes bitter and plastic-y and just really messy.

And again soda-like with the texture/feel...quite spritzy and tingly, also it avoids being harsh with an element of smoothness and slickness.

Dunkelweizen? Really? I wish it had struck me more like a dunkelweizen, I like a good DW. This Shiner Cheer just isn't for me.

Metalmonk, Nov 29, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -11%

It pours a clear brown/amber color with a good amount of off-white head that laces the glass.

Right off the bat you can pick up on the peaches, its pretty overpowering in comparison to the rest of the ingredients which are almost indistinguishable. There is a very, very subtle nutty/roasty quality to it.

Flavor wise, again the peaches dominate this brew. Its a medium to full bodied ale that has a nutty/roasty quality to it.

I picked up a 6 pack of these and after finishing 2, had no desire to grab a third, the peach flavor gets pretty old pretty quick and I would not say this beer is very drinkable. The peach flavor is a nice novelty, but when that novelty wears off you are left with a mediocre nutty ale.

bens0n, Nov 28, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -9.6%

Twist-off bottle. Always a good start. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

Pours a crimson color with a single-finger off-white head. A pretty good amount of spotty lacing and a light lace ring around the edges of the glass.

The initial nose brings me some red Twizzler, super-rope-type smells with quite a bit of sweetness and some cherry. Some bright peach is definitely there but I'm not getting any of that pecan. A bit of of caramel. Not half bad; I'll be the first to admit that I was expecting this to be quite terrible.

The flavor has loads of Peach Jolly Rancher character and a lot of artificial peach character. Just overwhelming here. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of this. A bit of peaches and cream throughout with a bit of light sweetness. The feel is a bit creamy with a medium body. I can't really drink much of this. The peach character is fairly fake and quite overwhelming.

Thorpe429, Nov 28, 2010

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao.

lanechaffin, Nov 28, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my slim, elegant stemmed Rodenbach glass a glowingly clear chestnut color with a big, dense & creamy 2" settled head. Moderate fine carbonation visibly uprising. As I move the glass side to side, the head barely moves - just like a good wheat beer. Nice thin rings of lace all the way down.

Very peachy nose first off. Very sweet indeed. The label reads 'brewed with peaches & pecans', and you definitely can pick out the peaches, while the pecans are in the back - but still detectable. Like I just mentioned, this is a very sweet smelling brew.

Interesting mingling of the peaches and pecans in the taste. Again, the peaches take the forefront, but the nuttiness somehow keeps it from getting cloying, (like I was fearing from the scent). You actually get a bitterness that reminds me of the skin of a walnut - but I guess that;s close enough. I do believe there's a teeny-tiny bit of clove wayyy underneath all of this, and I'll have to agree with my senses seeing this is a dunkleweissen.

Mouthfeel is between medium & light bodied with a gentle and soft texture, (thanks to the wheat malt). The level of carbonation is noticably below the 'normal' hefeweissen, but it still feels nice and fine.

Drinkability is good. A little syrupy, sweet for me to have a session, but two might be fine.

Overall a beer that definitely isn't boring or forgettable. When I think of Christmas, peaches aren't the first noun to come to mind. But now that I've tried it, I'm glad I did. If the peach flavor could be knocked down about 25% and replace that with more pecan, I think we'd have one humdinger of a Texan Christmas offering.

malty, Nov 23, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

Holiday Cheer pours a darker, burgundy color. It's clear, and looks deep red with light behind it. I like the color. I was expecting a little haze, being a Dunkelweizen and all. Eh. The head is vanilla colored and only rises to a finger or so in depth before falling quickly. Lacing was definitely on the light side. Not bad.

The nose is rather average. It's fruity up front and features a nice peach scent. It's a little grainy and earthy. Where are the spices? No clove? Nothing? Hmmm. It does feature a light malty scent. Smells a little caramel-esque to me. Yeast is a little noticeable. It needs work. There's just not much going on...besides peach fruitiness.

The flavor may be a notch better. I haven't quite made up my mind. It does have a rather strong peach presence throughout. It's not altogether bad. There might be some light spices, but it's tough to tell. The peach flavor might mask a few things. A bit of a grainy flavor is noted throughout. I'm not appreciating a nutty presence at all. Maybe it's just me. It's a little malty and sweet. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Finishes peachy and sweet. It tastes alright. Better than it smells.

The body is light. Carbonation seems mid-range. There's not enough here to feel smooth, but it isn't a train wreck. Drinkability is rather average. I don't mind a bottle, but the flavor grows a little tiresome. There's just not quite enough flavor there to entertain for multiple bottles. For what it's worth, it goes down easy enough.

Spoetzl Brewery could really improve Holiday Cheer with just a little effort. It'd improve easily with a little less peach, and a little more spice and body. It's just okay. Probably worth a try if you're compelled. But, stick with a single or bottle or two. A six pack seems like a stretch.

prototypic, Nov 20, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +22.3%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session.

hophunter, Nov 18, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +25.1%

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in North Aurora, IL for $1.50 in Fall 2010.

A beer that will pair excellent with fruitcake if you like fruitcake. Holiday Cheer pours a dark brown with a fruit scent, peaches are the most obvious. It drinks rather smooth as you get a semi-mild taste of different fruits ending in an ever so slight spice. Out of all the beers I've tried to date, this has to be my favorite. The only way to improve this to a 10 of 10 is by adding a slight more texture and taste to it. Definetly a must try if you can find it.

Lemke10, Nov 18, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap in Austin in a pint glass.

A - lovely red/brown color with little to no head or lacing. Looks very festive!

S - not much nose on it; some notes of dried fruit

T - very interesting fruity overtones, with elements of Peach or Appricot? Light bitterness and little to no alcohol

M - decent mouthfeel wih little to know carbonation. Very light

D - moderately drinkable, but due to the sweetness I wouldn't want to drink a bunch of them

Definitely a fun and interesting beer that is worth a try. Not sure I would drink a ton of them in a sitting, but happy I drank one.

DoktorZee, Nov 18, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

A curiosity here - a seasonal ale flavored with peach and pecan. Odd and not necessarily a typical cold-weather brew, but Shiner's always been dependable enough for a good tasting beer. Nonetheless, I'm not overly fond of this one. The sweet flavor is followed by a nutty finish, which sounds well enough, but this is just not one I'd purchase a 6-pack of, at least this year. Maybe next year's batch will be better?

secondtooth, Nov 15, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +18.6%

Nice color of ruby hued golden ale
I really enjoy the nose on this one,peaches dominate with some trace roasty malt & pecan.
Nice peachy ale flavors with the maltiness in the background & a lingering roasty pecan finish. Not at all overbearing on any of the flavors & I love the peach flavors!
Nice light mouth feel here, nothing over the top or under done. Very approuchable beer on this account.
One of, no deffinitley my favorite of the holiday ales & very good price point to boot.
Drink up for it will be gone soon!

welldigger888, Nov 15, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

This was the first holiday beer i saw this year. Bought it in late october, Tried one mid-nov.

Pours a nut-ruby color. off-white dirty looking head maintains alittle with little lace.

Mind carbonation sends peach jam on toaste to the nose. Toasted malts and pecan round out the flavor profile.

A mild hop with slight bittering leaves the mouth slight dry with lingering esters of peach.

Overall an interesting holiday beer id say by its self. A good reason to break out those tasteing glasses for family to try before they commit and waist a good beer.

chilidog, Nov 14, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +5.4%

I picked this up at the Class Six at Travis AFB.

Appearance- golden brown color, good size head

Smell- malt, peaches, pecan, interesting

Taste- mostly peaches, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- pretty good, I love the flavor. The flavor of peaches in this beer are awesome.

jeffjeff1, Nov 13, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Out of a bottle at The Locker Room in Columbus. Best by? Date of 1/23/11 on the bottle.

A: Wasnt served with a glass, go figure. I gave slightly above average, as what I can see is a nice amber color. I don't like that I don't have a proper glass so I can see it. Thus why I distance give it worse or better than I did.

S: Wow, this one is nice. First note is toasted pecans, peach, and caramel. The peach almost takes back seat to the pecans.

T: To me, the pecan is dominant. The caramel melds with the peach to remind of a cobbler. This is not bad.

M: Smooth, if a little thin. Finishes clean.

D: Not too shabby. It's easier to drink than I expected.

Overall, this one is decent. Give it a shot. If I see it again when I am feeling better, I will review it again. Maybe my tastebuds are messed up right now.

Keffa, Nov 13, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Reviewing from notes from 11/11/10

A- dark walnut w/ a little ruby red in it, some bubbly head, left slight lacing.

S- sweet, dark fruit with some peach/apricot that tended to dominate

T- Apricot and caramel really dominated the taste here. It was sweet and maybe even a little tangy. I wasn't thrilled with how the flavors mixed.

M- Very smooth beer, about what I'd expect from a holiday brew

D- The sweetness really was a touch too much for me, it could have had a bit more balance or a little more restraint with the fruitiness

Franz4, Nov 12, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +19.2%

Color: pours golden brown and sits a clear, deep amber with a thick head and good lacing

Smell: fresh peaches dominate with sweet strawberry shortcake and pecans in tow

Taste: aroma translates well onto palate with the addition of a slight bitterness and bready malt. finish is balanced, somewhat dry and lightly bitter

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: love this one-of-a-kind ideal holiday brew

Frosty80, Nov 11, 2010