1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 926-950 | 951-975 | 976-1000  | next › last »
3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Reviewed 11/22/2008 (bottle):

Pours a clear dark brown-reddish color body. Big cream colored head, somewhat diminishing. Strong aroma of peaches, some dark malts. Almost like an acidic aroma. Peachy, pecany taste, medium body. Tasty, peachy aftertaste. Nice grainy taste, maybe wheat or something. Nice fruity taste from the peaches. Somewhat carbonated.

jujubeast6000, Nov 29, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

I tried to like this beer, but, having a hard time putting Christmas & peaches together in my head. peaches around here are a mid summer treat.

A: NIce, appealing mahogany/ruby red color, puffy head, and nice retention/lacing.

S: Big whiff of peach. Some maltyness. Almost like sniffing a peach iced tea.

T: Sweet, sweet, sweet. Both from peach juice, and the sweetness of the malts & dark wheat. Peach beer is working for at all..

M: Slick and easy. No bitterness, no metallic aftertaste.

D: Well, what my initial sentence stated. Having a hard time wrapping my mind around peaches, and Christmas. Not working. This, however, would be a great beer to fall back on on a hot July afternoon, something different than my normal Saison/Kolsch/wit habit.

KI9A, Nov 26, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

POurs a beautiful head with excellent lacing and an ruby color. It's a little light, but I don't care so much about color as I do head retention.

Smell is of peaches and mangos. It's a huge whiff of fruit and I like it.

Taste has a little bit of dry tannins and the fruit gives off a little bit of an off bitter flavor. This beer is a little astringent and has some tannin problems that interfere with the awesomeness that should be there from the fruit. There is also a hint of DMS in there as well.

AS THE BEER WARMS it becomes loads and loads better. The fruit blends nicely with the beer and everything comes together.

Let this beer warm up. After it does it becomes a refreshingly crisp beer with a huge peach flavor and aroma.

jasonjlewis, Nov 25, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours to a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the drinking experiance!

Smells very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!

Taste a peachiness and a hint of the peacans or some other nut.

Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!

A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice!

LordofTime25, Nov 25, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours chestnut with 3 fingers of sand colored head. Good lacing & average head retention

S: Pear, honey, apricot & peach juice

T: Apricot, dryness, nuttyness, oakyness & green apples up front. Peach juice, comes through as it warms, plus more nuttyness. Finishes dry, fruitty & with oaky notes. Almost pulled a 4.0

MF: Medium bodied with low carbonation

Drinks easy, this an Americanized dunkleweizen. I could drink a few before moving on. Probably on the better brews I've had from these guys

russpowell, Nov 24, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Transparent amber, short lived head, the lacing is..so...so. Interesting smell, a little vanilla, a little molases, and something I can't quite put a finger on...maybe it is peaches, yeah peaches...well,..imagine that. The flavour of this little brew caught me off guard, expecting peaches, I was not disappointed but where are the pecans?...oh well. The peach is very nice against a nice malty, slightly bitter backdrop.... it pushes my button. Mouthfeel is decent and drinkability very good.

I found this to be a balanced and interesting brew. Tweak it a little, lighten it little and bingo!.. you could have a delightful summer refresher.

scottblaze, Nov 21, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +2%

Shiner Holiday Cheer

This beer pours a beautiful dark brown with a ruby haze, with just a small amount of translusency. Large off white head, with great retention.

Aroma is very unique. Unlike one I've ever smelled before. A blend of insane amounts of ripe peaches, cherries, sweet sundried raisans, sugary vanilla wafferrs, light melted dark chocolate, a touch of sticky honey, and hazlenut creme. Fantastic aroma. Reminds me of peach ice cream in a way. Very fragrant and sweet, yet no where near cloying. A++

Taste is a combonation of rich chocolate malt and a light spiciness. Upfront, the malt grasps a hold of the palate. Sweet chocolate, succulent peaches, and fig. Along with some spiciness of light rosemary, and nutmeg, and light florals near the end to balance. Overall balance is great with none of the flavor notes being overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but it works.
Drinkability is only average, due to it's sweet nature.

A tasty treat from Shiner. Absolutely amazing aroma, and great taste. Not quite as good as Shiner Black, but this one is unique and one of a kind. Nothing like this one, so check it out folks!

HoustonTX, Nov 20, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

wow, I was very surprised on how much i enjoyed this. Pours a dark brown-ruby colour .. stable head, covers the top like a blanket .. dark semi-sweet malt and lots of peach, fresh and burnt, nice! ... very drinkable, with just a touch of bitterness on the finish... thank god, this beer is actually really nice! .. a great beer for the weird texas winter?

Onslow, Nov 16, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case of this at the Sam's in Grapevine, TX.

I thought at first after reading the label I might be turned off by peaches. I don't know if it's the batch I bought or not, but I can't really detect any peaches in it or it could be just a great balance that I can't detect it.

It pours a great color of a deep red.

Smell is very good which reminds me of Shiner.

Taste is very good. I like this brew best out of all the Shiner beers. Very crisp with spices.

I knocked out two of these right off the bat. Very good beer.

OverToad, Nov 15, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Deep mahogany with a stunning amber highlights and a creamy, craggy head that leaves wonderful lacing. This is a very pretty beer.

Aroma: Sweet peach, like that of peach yogurt, masks just about all other aromas. There's some beer down there if you keep sniffing, but you have to pull a lot of peach aside.

Taste: Luckily, this isn't the sugary peach yogurt beer that the aroma warned of. Instead, you find a complex, if a little thin, malty body with decent bitterness in the finish. I'm not sure if it's roasted pecan I'm getting necessarily, but the beer does has a pleasing nuttiness. Peach is certainly here, and in full force, but it compliments the beer instead of smothering it. I would never have thought of a peach infused Dunkelweizen (at least while sober), but it works. While it may taste a little thin in the mouth, the aftertaste is quite nutty and hangs with you for a while.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a slick, oily feel that coats your mouth. A bit fizzier than I prefer, but it doesn't spoil the beer.

Drinkability: Provided you don't hate peaches, this is an easy beer to drink. It goes down smooth and tastes pretty damn good.

Verdict: Between this and Shiner Dunkelweizen, it's no contest: Holiday Cheer just doesn't measure up. But that's not a fair way to rate the beer. Viewed objectively, this is a nice middle-of-the-road Dunkelweizen with an interesting splash of Peach. It fits well into Shiner's portfolio of beers stuck in a bizarre purgatory between macro and micro. I'm still not sure what peach has to do with Christmas, but I'm willing to look past that here.

BeanBone, Nov 14, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

A) Dark brown with thick clear edges. A creamy tan head gives up some wispy lacing.

S) Great peach nectar aroma tops a toasted bread base with a hint of hops. Nice level on the fruit.

T) The peach is a bit heavy in the taste, giving a bit of a syrup element that's a bit overdone. The fruit overpowers any subtle underlying elements for me.

M) A bit fizzy, medium light body, lingering finish.

D) Flavorful, festive, not a bad beer and I'm glad I got the 6'er. High marks for creativity, but I would like to see the peach dialed down a mark or three.

HardTarget, Nov 13, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a Samuel Adams glass

Pours a nice, rich caramel with some hardcore lacing. Head sits nicely on top of the beer the entire way.

Per the bottle, this beer is brewed with peaches and pecans. The peaches come through heavy on both the nose and the palate. Can't detect much pecan if any.

Tastes of peaches.

Not Shiners best work, but a very easy drinking Christmas beer.

tburkhart, Nov 12, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (no dating info but new seasonal so it's fresh) into a pint glass. It was mahogany color with some carb and slight lacing. It has a good sized light beige head that took awhile to fade.

The was peach, peach and more peach. Never really got a whiff of the underlying base beer. I like peaches but this was too much. Same for the taste. Very one dimensional and cloying. It also clashed with the base flavor.

Overall, nasty and a drain pour. One and done. Very glad I got a single instead of a sixer. Another sub-par effort from Shiner - a faded Texas icon. Avoid.

TexIndy, Nov 12, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a Weizen glass to a redish copper color, and a very good tan head. The smell is very apparent that peaches are used. In fact, along with the taste, peaches are being overused. So much that this really should be catagorized as a fruit beer.

Of the new releases in 2008 from Shiner, I'd have to say this is the best one. But I liked their Dunkelweizen the way it was. I'd also like to have less peach and more pecan flavor in this beer.

This will be the last 6'er I buy of this. There are just far too many better winter/christmas beers out there.

whoneeds8, Nov 11, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a deep amber, forming a good 1 inch head, leaving light spots of lace that slide down the glass.

S - Strong peach aroma dominates the nose. Detection of anything else is minimal.

T - Strong taste of peach up front, followed by a hint of wheat malt, and a very noticeable nutty finish in the flavor. Highly enjoyable!

M - Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel and good carbonation.

D - Great flavor, low alcohol, and smooth drinkability makes this a very holiday sessionable ale. With that said, its almost impossible to view this as a dunkelweizen. I dont see many traits of a dunkelweizen in this beer, and IMO should be considered a fruit beer. Highly drinkable and delicious!!!

beeragent, Nov 10, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nose is highly peachy with spicy notes. Smells kind of like a fruit-flavored soda - almost like peach Fresca, only more peaches-and-creamy.

Pours a dark caramel color, good clarity, mild foamy head.

First sip shows some bitterness and soft peachy, creamy, fruity flavors. A little malt, mild dry roast notes and drop of caramel sweetness. Splash of floral hop. More bitterness acts like a mechanical hum white nose in the background. Deeper peach notes - some sips really come close to the feeling of the wonderful canned peaches I love. I can't really detect the pecan (pronounced 'pee-can', not 'pa-con' round here), but I do get some dry, oily, nutty notes that I attribute more the malt than actual nuts. Then again, I don't think I've ever had a beer with real nuts in it so I can't say. Deeper sweetness, and the bitterness subsides for the most part. Medium body with syrupy feeling (think 'peaches with medium syrup') and moderate carbonation. Perhaps the creaminess is from the wheat?

What a funny thing to come from Shiner. I love the idea, and the beer's not bad either. It's fun and different and, well, peachy! Prosit!

MrHungryMonkey, Nov 10, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark amber coloring with one finger head that dissipated slowly. Lacing apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow, what an intriguing nose. The peach tones nearly overwhelm everything. I've had beer with an apricot nose before but never a peach nose.

T & M: Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but not overly so, just slightly watery. Peach tones come through initially but do not overwhelm. Finish has a hint of pecan. Nice smooth drinking brew that I can see myself drinking throughout the holidays. Good job in not making the peach sweetness cloying.

D: Definitely drinkable, good work Spoetzl. I'm always pleased when the little brewery in Shiner cranks out a quality brew.

elniko, Nov 10, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I'm a big fan of any Shiner offering, and I always try the seasonal beers they release--most of the time it's just once. This is one of their better brews, and I can see myself buying many more sixers of this during the holidays. Beer looks much like their other dark offerings (Shiner Black, Dunkelweisen), smell is really peachy and fruity, nice head, good lacing. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but has good carbonation. Taste is really fruity, almost tangy, with a slight nuttiness at the end.

Great beer, one of Shiner's best in my opinion. The fruitiness was a nice surprise, would recommend this beer to anyone.

hookem2oo7, Nov 05, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

A- Pours up a dark brown with amber highlights, with a thin tan head

S - Aroma is all peach, with a bit of nuttiness in the background

T - Slightly nutty at the start. Finishes with peach flavor. But all flavors are subtle.

M - Feels a bit thin, but highly carbonated.

D - This is a great beer. Yeah, I'll be drinking this all season long.

hiikeeba, Nov 01, 2008
3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This new offering from Shiner, poured into a pint glass, comes out a nice reddish amber color with a dense, creamy head. The nose is very peachy (though, er, not peachy keen), to the exclusion of all else. The flavor is interesting--lots of peachiness, but not as sweet as I feared. Some nutty pecan comes through, and a light bittering hoppiness at the finish. Certainly different, and not all that bad.

I appreciate a fruit beer that isn't cloyingly sweet. This isn't a beer I'll seek out again, but I don't dread finishing the six-pack. In fact, it's quite drinkable.

allengarvin, Nov 01, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours mahogany color with a large beige head. Lots of sticky lace is left behind as the head recedes.
S: Definitely lots of peaches. Sweet malt with a light roasted character. Just a hint of some pecan/nutty aroma.
T: An interesting flavor of peaches, sweet roasted malt, and pecans. More pecans than were in the nose.
M/D: A medium body that is over carbonated for my tastes. Slick and oily. Smooth and easy to drink. Something that I could session.

This is different and unique. Something I would recommend. Definitely one of Spoetzl's better offerings.

champ103, Oct 31, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

Seen they had only one sixer at the store so I grabbed it as well.

Peaches in a dunkel hmm sounds interesting.

The aroma is very holiday season like with spices and fruits. Kind of like a Fruit cake in a glass.

Mouthfeel was not bad at all. it was a little sharp up front with a twang of fruit and peaches with a little bittering on the back end.

Overall this beer suprised me. I found myself enjoying it. Although I could not drink more than a few due to the big present of peaches. Not a big peach fan but the beer was tasty.

BgThang, Oct 29, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

Just saw this at the store today so I grabbed a six pack. Not sure if a six pack was such a good idea, though. This is a strange brew.

Poured into my Sam Adams crazy glass. Beautiful color. Bright amber/brown with ruby reds and sunlight orange hues shining through. Thin head recedes quickly into a light film over the beer. Not much lace, but man it's a pretty beer. The nose is a bit strange. Odd mix of light fruit and malt. Kinda reminds me of the old Nehi Peach soda. Definitely some peach, some faint nutty scents, and malty sweetness, but on the whole it's a bit odd. Not necessarily offensive, just odd. The taste is similar in comparison. Strange peach flavor, nutty bitterness. Mostly malt sweetness, but the strange peach flavor lingers a bit too much in the aftertaste. Bizarre. Again, not bad, but bizarre. A slight hint of smoky pepper in there too gives it a spicy bite. Mouthfeel is light but slightly creamy. Not bad.

What an odd beer, this Holiday Cheer. Not sure I'd call it a dunkelweizen, although it is, according to the brewery, a variation on their dunkel theme from a previous brew. Still, I can't see this one catching on with the mainstream. Interesting, yes, but probably a one-time brew. Glad I tried it, though, if nothing else.

Atlas1, Oct 26, 2008