Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,365 | Reviews: 385
4.44/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Perfect after a long day of work or holiday prep!

3.27/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a medium reddish brown color, with a large foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains peaches, spices, wheat, caramelized malts and a faint touch of hops, but it’s mostly the peaches.

T: The taste likewise starts out sweet burst of peach flavor that is quickly followed by flavors of caramel, nuts and spices. Then some breadiness comes in from wheat and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. The hops presence is very mild but brings a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, not the best representation of style, if you’re into the peach flavor it’s a decent beer, otherwise it’s just mediocre at best.

4.52/5  rDev +27.3%

Pours with a medium-sized, white head. Had a very dark amber color. Has an aroma of wheat and peaches. The taste is a mixture of flavors. Initial one is peach and wheat. After taste is of malts and roasted pecans with a slight bitterness caused from the malted barley. A great balance is created between all the flavors.

3.89/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Although it's meant as a holiday drink, I can imagine drinking it in the summer also. The fruitiness is not too sweet. I can discern the caramel or dark wheat but not so much the nutty flavors in the description. Strong aftertaste on the tongue. The texture is like a light beer with a hint of bubbles. Easy to enjoy.

3.81/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I liked this beer a lot. Good peach flavor that seems to be missing in most peach beers. The brownish color caught me by surprise. Head did not last and no lacing to speak of. Smell is pure peach. The taste is peach on the front and a sweet nutty taste on the back. Smooth, easy drinking beer. Pleasantly surprised with this offering from Shiner. My favorite from this brewery to date.

4.34/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outlier detected. Please enter a review.

2.82/5  rDev -20.6%

Canned peaches, hint of pecans, hint of malt VERY SLIGHT hop bite on the back end.. Just TO MUCH peach for me.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

With a deep crystal clear garnet hue supporting a beige creamy head this beer has a strong perfumy peach aroma that comes though more on the exhale. The flavor has a crisp light roasted bitter note and some soft nutty notes to follow. The dry peach note in the finish is a bit artificial. This is a mellow soft flavored beer but the peach flavor is a bit odd and dominates the flavor.

1.31/5  rDev -63.1%

This old-world style brew actually pained me physically to drink. One of the few beers I've ever had to pour out.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep brownish amber with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of beige head which settles into a thin layer.

Smell: A toasty and very fruity malt forward aroma with big hints of peach, toast, and nuts. Toasted malt with hints of wheat, straw, biscuit, grains, toast, pecan nuts, caramel, and yeast. Big scent of peach fruit that really stands out. Also some hints of sugar. A pretty interesting and solid aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a very fruit forward and wheat malt driven taste with notes of peach, pecan, and toast. Toasted malt with some notes of wheat, straw, grains, toast, biscuit, pecan nuts, caramel, and yeast. Sweet taste of peach juice throughout. Sweet notes of sugar. Hops are very light. A pretty nice taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, juicy, and very smooth.

Overall: A pretty solid twist on a Dunkel. Really nice peach flavor that is sweet but far from cloying.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

I don't taste much difference between this and their regular flagship brew, and that's pretty okay with me. They're both solid beers and this one fits in line with many holiday beers in that it's safe; it's not going to knock your socks off, but it's not bad at all.

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet and full of peaches. Taste is peaches, sweet, a bit of grains, not what I expected from this style, but not bad. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass
Appearance: pours a 2"+ sudsy head that falls slowly with some mild lacing. Color is a mostly clear reddish-brown. Some mild carbonation streams are visible.
Aroma: peaches are dominate, but also a bit of wheat grass, caramel and lightly toasted bread. Mouthfeel: light bodied, fairly crisp with a dry finish.
Flavor: interesting combination of wheat, caramel, sweet barley, peaches and roasted pecans. There is a mild hop bite in the finish.
Overall: extremely good as far as flavored/fruit beers go. The first pecan beer I can recall having where I can actually taste the pecan flavor. Well done Shiner!

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

I had this poured into a pint glass, my first review of a Shiner offering. The color is nice and inviting, a warm copper brown. The taste..well it's super fruity. Like very fruity. I like dunkelweizens in general, but this might have been a bit too much peach. I could have one of these around the holidays each year, but probably not more than that.

I love it in a black & tan>

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Interesting taste, with a fruity zing. Had to read about it here to figure out the fruit was peach, underlaid with pecans. The comparison to fruitcake is apt, but in a good way: doesn't taste stale or dull by any means. Enjoyed it very much last night as a complement to Texas bar-b-q at "The County Line on the Lake" in Austin.

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Flavors are toasted malt, dark chocolate, and light cherry--peaches come out as it warms. This one is a nice malty holiday treat. Not traditional for the style, but a good beer.

3.06/5  rDev -13.8%

Clear red colored beer with a small light brown colored head.

Smells of candied ginger and malt. Smell some brown sugar and spruce tree. Lesser scent of blackberry and some eucalyptus tree.

Starts out malty and a little sweet with a taste of dried fruit. Weird flavor I can only describe as licorice.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a weird beer that I wouldn't want a six pack of.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Sweet with the perfect amount of dry bitterness I love. You can taste the pecans, not so much the peaches. I love almost all of the shiner offerings, but yet will tell hold nothing back just cause I'm from Texas. I feel like it could use just a little move uph but that's just me.but over all a decent beer for 10 a sixxer.

3.64/5  rDev +2.5%

Perfect beer for a holiday meal. Though the peaches and pecans cone through, they are subtle and well balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

I first got this beer in 2012, before I really started drinking craft beer, and I just loved it. I drank a bunch of it that season, and when it came out in 2013, I grabbed some right away, and took it back to Georgia to share with my family.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for it as much last year. It was ok, but I only got a bare hint of the peaches and pecans, it didn't seem to have the balance, and there was a slight aftertaste that I didn't care for.

So, I was really pleased with the release this year. I got a 12-pack in cans, and it's right back where I remembered it from two years ago. Nice malt base, the peaches and pecans are back with the nice balance between the sweetness and the hops. I don't know if the bottles I got last year were just an off case, but they were sealed in a cardboard box, so they should have been okay.

Anyway, get this in cans if available, and enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!

4.48/5  rDev +26.2%

Nice and fruity without being overly fruity and cloying. A little thin throughout, but I was actually pleased. Don't think of spruce and cinnamon.

Finally, a holiday brew that isn't the same old amber with "holiday" spices. If I want to taste pumpkin I'll eat pumpkin pie or a pumpkin donut or drink a pumpkin latte. You ever eat pumpkin? It's terrible. Enough about that.
This beer brings out the holiday spirit with peaches and pecans. A real nice combo. It's not too heavy so you will enjoy a few. Clean aftertaste. Happy holidays to you.

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%

A shiner beer I really like. The pour was a straw yellow with a good head. The smell had peach and pecan but also what smelled like Belgian wheat which gives off a banana scent. The taste was nice with heavy notes such as bread and pecans in the beginning and mellowing out with the semi-sweet peach coming through on the finish. Very enjoyable.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner