Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%

Bought a six pack of Cheer over the holidays. Probably my second favorite Shiner after Ruby Redbird. Let's give this a whirl on a BA review. Poured a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours with a nice off-white head... as long as I pour it as vigorously as possible. The body is wonderfully clear, though. Nice clean amber color. Maybe a bit too clean for a solid beer... but that's not a truly valid complaint. Decent stuff.

The nose has a sweet tang to it to start. Must be the peaches. There's also a unique nuttiness that rolls with it. I'd give it a higher score, but this bottle has a slight putrid aroma to go along with those two awesome components.

The beer isn't putrid, it's interesting. Very sweet and peachy. The caramel malts come through, too. The nuttiness is fatty and rounded. It makes for a nice aftertaste. I don't get any of the characteristic Shiner metallic flavor in this... so huzzah! Still, I wish the beer would jump a bit more with these flavors. Can someone else make this beer?

I have a Texas license, but I'm not a Texan. Maybe that explains why I don't love Shiner. It's better than the standard AAL... and this is completely unique and better than the Bock... but Shiner still isn't great in my book.

4.62/5  rDev +29.8%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household.

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - Pours a dark brown/amber color with a small head that dissipates instantly. Has thin lacing.

Smell - Strong aroma of peaches.

Taste - Very sweet with peaches, a strong clove flavor, toasty and nutty, cinnamon, and a slight bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with pretty high carbonation.

Overall - This is my first time trying this style of beer, I like it. It's a lot different from other styles. I wouldn't be able to drink a lot of this though because it's so sweet..

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery