Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 27, 2010). No freshness date that I can find. This was part of a mixed six pack of Christmas seasonal brews picked up at Armanetti Wine Shoppe and Beverage Mart in Chicago.

I'm into the Christmas beers, and this was a leftover from a couple months ago. The bottle staes this is made with peaches and pecans, it sounds like an odd combo to me, but I'll give it a chance. Let's see how Texans make a snowy Christmas beer shall we?

Eyes: Pours a darkish orange/red with zero haze. One finger head, low retention and lacing.

Nose: Peaches up front, in the middle, and on the end. It actually smells quite natural, but it just doesn't seem to blend well with the yeast here. I don't get much aroma of either the nuts or the Dunkelwizen.

Tongue: Still peachy, especially in the aftertaste, but not as much as the nose. I like peaches, but there's just to much fruit here. The flavor delivers a bit more of the nuttiness, but not much.

Mouth: Fairly good weight, decent carbonation also.

Libation: I can't put my finger on a specific taste I don't like here, but the blending isn't to my liking and I'm not sure it's balanced. A hint of peaches would go great in a beer, but this is too much of a peach wallop. The nuttiness and alcohol try to reign in those peaches, but they fail. It's an interesting beer, but not one I'll naturally turn to at Christmas time.

OttoBomb, Feb 28, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

leakyfaucet12, Feb 15, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -5.4%

For some reason Shiner is everywhere in California, and for cheap, me likey. Sad thing is that I am not so much a fan of this beer. To be true to the BA code, I am supposed to compare this to a dunkelweiss, but I can't because this is a stretch. Comparing this to the other winter beers, this one was a bit much on the "drinking a cake" thing. Yes you get a pecan flavor and peaches, but really, not the best in a beer. poured dark, little head, sweet candy taste. Overall, this was ok, not bad, they did explain the beer on the bottle and it tasted like it said.

chickencoop, Jan 26, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a medium dark red with brown notes. 2-finger head quickly disappears. Laces well, though. Color is good, but a little too clear for my liking.

Sweet, bready nose. Molasses and weak caramel round things out. Weak overall, but not bad.

Slightly bland hit on the tongue turns instantly sweet. Caramel totally dominates. Very chewy considering the light appearance. Decent hop bite on the back end, but the caramel domination nearly blocks that out.

Not a bad drinker, but really one is enough. A little two sweet and filling to drink more than one.

beer2day, Jan 22, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Red-amber color. Poured a 1 finger tan head that dissipated to a broken skim. Lacing washed down the glass.

S: Pecans and sweet caramel. Peaches in the background with some muted spices.

T: Sweet light fruit; primarily peaches. Sweet malt comes through a little in the middle; did not detect a wheeat character I expected.Mild bitter finish.

M: Light-to-medium body. Ample carbonation. Crips and clean.

D: Flavorful and drinkable. The dominant light fruit sweetness hinder sessionablity.

Haybeerman, Jan 17, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

A: poured an amber color into my pint glass. Not much head with poor retention and no visible lacing.

S: tons of peaches! Hints of pecan nuttiness too.

T: both ingredients from the nose are quite apparent, but the nuttiness really takes over here. The malty pecan heaviness gives this brew an interesting and unique flavor that I found enjoyable. And not overly sweet by any stretch.

M: medium-bodied and creamy with average carbonation. Exceptional!

D: others may disagree, but I found this beer very drinkable. It certainly isn't a light beer, but throwing back 2-3 of these wouldn't be a problem for me.

If you like peaches and pecans, I can't imagine you not enjoying this beer. And here's the kicker: I don't even like peaches!

brystmar, Jan 12, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

I got this brew in a trade with JJFoodie, Thanks Justin!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

Clear amber color with a small beige head that thinned to a ring.
The aroma is just like canned peaches.
The taste is just peachy, seriously it's pretty much all peaches with just a bit of a nutty taste towards the finish.
Medium bodied with a smooth feel.
It's drinkable provided you like the taste of peaches.

JoeyBeerBelly, Jan 11, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Red-amber with a moderate head.

Smell: The pecans come through in the aroma. Also peaches.

Taste: Peaches dominate. More specifically, canned peaches. I could swear this beer is half canned peach syrup. I don't detect much of the pecans, just a little on the finish, but that's probably because the peach aspect is so strong. This is supposedly a dunkelweizen, but there's very little wheat character.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: With such strong fruit character, this is a one at a time kind of beer, or better yet, split a 12 oz. bottle for dessert.

Notes: This is certainly a unique brew. I like peaches, so I enjoyed it. But if you don't care for canned peaches then watch out! I'll at least have a few bottles next holiday season.

Josievan, Jan 08, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a frothy head that leaves a bit of lacing behind

Smell: Canned peaches, nuts and vague hints of holiday spioe

Taste: Opens with a peachy flavor that grows progressively sweeter and nuttier by mid-palate; after the swallow, the peach and butter pecan flavors combine together nicely leaving a spicy aspect that comes together on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Easy to drink though not something I would want to have again

brentk56, Jan 06, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +18.6%

Bought this in a carnivores in Oakmont for 2.50. I didn't expect them to get it in since it's January and I figured holiday beer seasons over but I found this on the shelf!

A - Ruby red orange with decent head.
S - soft Peachy smell with nut backbone. Also some spices to the nose.
T - mmm great peach taste with little hop bite. Very interesting for a holiday beer.
M - Light bodied and delicious
D - I would love to drink a sixer of this and could easily drink a few in one sitting.

Overall I am glad to get my hands on this beer for the ABV it's both smooth and delicious.

DrDemento456, Jan 05, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle poured out a dark amber color, not very big head. It smells slightly fruity, you can pick up the hint of peach. The taste is less peach and more pecan, but it finishes slightly fruity and a little bitter. I didn't hate this beer, but I didn't love it. There are definitely better seasonal options out there.

Cubsfan1087, Jan 04, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours dark red with an off-white head. Aroma is strong peaches and maybe some pecans. Flavor is pecan, caramel malt and peaches. Quite a bit of nuttyness in the flavor and it finishes slightly bitter. Medium mouthfeel and carbonation. I think this is targeted towards macro drinkers but it is an interesting beer anyway. Not bad overall.

Mora2000, Jan 01, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +4%

A - blood orange, little foam, mostly translucent

s - peach, raisin, yeast, esters

t - all of the above, but pecan emerges to be strongest of all. Crisp malts remind you you're still in the weizen world, but the other flavors don't really work together. Too bad, as it definitely reminds me of home (tx hill country).

M - thin, not enough carbonation

D - easily sessionable if you dig the flavor combo. Don't think I could do >2 myself.

Richardberg, Dec 25, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

I am a sucker for seasonal and holiday release beers so I grabbed this one as a single for $1.60 at one of my beer stores.

A- Dark copper, kind of fizzy looking.
S- Thin smell of mostly peaches.
T- Peaches again, and some other fruity flavors. I don't get much pecan, some wheat malt in there too.
M- Medium bodied, pretty fizzy.
D- I'm glad I only bought one but it was pretty enjoyable.

Interesting take on a holiday beer. I took my first smell and sip expecting the holiday spice cabinet as I had not yet read the label and found the peach flavor to be a nice change from the usual holiday beers.

Shumista, Dec 24, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Appearance: Light cola color with a thick beige head that dissipates slowly with a bit of lace.

Smell: Wheat and yeast under sweet pecans and peach.

Taste: Sweet malt beginning, finishing with hints of wheat and strong peach flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin with light carbonation and refreshing finish.

Dribnkability: Decent beer overall. Quite drinkable and a light, refreshing beer for the holiday season. Would go well with pecan pie or a Christmas dinner.

Mosstrooper, Dec 19, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

An easy pour of this filtered brew into the Sammy Adams freebie glass reveals a clear oak brown hue, capped with a thick and rich ran head. Brussels lace remain in the glass all the way down.

Sweet peach, molasses, honey and spice in the aroma - this holiday brew really has a nice nose to it. Body is a bit thin, but the peaches and roasted nuts come into play with the quaff. On the sweet side, esp. for a winter holiday brew - this could use more spice and hops, but all in all, not too bad of a drinking brew. Might be tough to work through a sixer in a sitting though.

Vancer, Dec 16, 2009
2.05/5  rDev -42.1%

A dunkelweizen brewed with peaches, pecans and delicious natural flavor and caramel color. On a day like this, what could be better than some crisp refreshing natural flavor?

The beer is the color of mahogany with ruby red highlights and perfect clarity, which I find a little odd for a dunkelweizen. The head crackles and dissipates like a can of soda poured into a paper cup. Looks exactly like Coke, actually.

Sweet and tart peaches and cream greet the nose first; more like cream soda actually. Toasted pecans and whole wheat toast are present as well. It's on the sweet side, and oddly artificial smelling.

Cola, peaches, strawberries, caramel and pecans are dominant on the tongue, along with a touch of nutmeg and chocolate. It's very sweet and syrupy, though the body is thin and carbonation high. It finishes on a dry note, with some lingering bitterness, Cherry Coke and peach. This is strange, unsettling stuff; it's like a soda/beer hybrid. If you're the type of person that adds shots of vodka to their RC Cola, you may enjoy this, but otherwise it's best avoided.

largadeer, Dec 15, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

The beer pours a clear dark amber hue. A small burst of light beige head reaches about a half inch before receding before I can even sit down. No lace to be seen.

The aroma is a heavy blast of peaches. A slight hint of candy coated roast pecans can be picked out with deep whiffs. Touches of cinnamon and toffee are there as well. The peach is bit over the top for me.

The flavor is slightly less peach but not much. Some dunkelweizen characteristics are at least present in the taste department. The peach tidalwave settles leaving hints of malt and light chocolate. Ever so slight nuttiness comes in at the finish.

Medium to light body. Moderate carbonation.

Overall no where near what I was expecting. I didn't read the label when I grabed this beer. Lesson learned. Not a bad beer by any stretch. Just not a typical holiday beer. Unique for sure.

beerwolf77, Dec 14, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Deep copper, with nice clarity and light carbonation. A soapy orange tinged cap has OK retention, but leaves little lace.

S: Peaches and nuts; especially the peaches, come through strong. There's a light baked bread aroma in the background that combines with the other aromas to give the beer a peach cobbler effect.

T: The peach theme continues. The beer is fruity, yet not too sweet, which is an interesting accomplishment. The pecans add a nutty dryness. Bitterness is very low and doesn't add any real flavor. A toasted bread flavor hangs in the rafters.

M: The medium-light body is somewhat dry and grainy. Carbonation feels about right.

D: If it were me, I would have filed this beer under Winter Warmer, as the peach and nut character are the true centerpiece, not the very faint weizen flavors. Overall, quite drinkable. I'm glad I picked it up.

Rayek, Dec 14, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Pours a dark red amber with a finger or two of thick tan head. Looks quite nice, really, until the head dissipates, which happens fairly quickly, resulting in not much lacing.

S: Strong peach with a background of nuttiness. Like a a sugary peach drink and almonds. Strange.

T: Sweet peach again, finishing slightly dry.

M: Medium carbonation, fairly smooth, medium to light body.

D: It's too weird to be drinkable for me. I guess if you like the peach-beer characteristic it would be quite drinkable, given the fairly low ABV and nice mouthfeel.

Quite an odd beer. Probably worth trying for the experience if you can split a single bottle with someone else - a full 12oz bottle was a bit much of this for me, and I have no desire to get more.

seand, Dec 13, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured this beer into a wiezen glass at 42 degrees. I got this beer while I was in OKC, over the holiday.

Appearance: A nice one finger tan head that some retention to it. The head is foamy and a tad creamy. The color of the beer is a medium amber color with reddish copper hues. There are nice highlights of garnet in the beer. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear to almost brilliant.

Nose: A strong fruity esters that are orange, there is a hint of banana, and clove, vanilla, and some cloves. The malt is slightly caramel aroma with bread, and toast. There are some floral and a touch of wood.

Taste: A good malt character, with bread crust, caramel, yeast, cloves, banana, fruity ester that are orange, a touch of wood, and vanilla. In the background of the beer has wheat and a light sweetness.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, sticky, rich, and creamy finish. The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium. I really like this beer it has a roundness to the flavor and a nice supple finish. This is a wonderful easy drinking beer.

colts9016, Dec 11, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +8.8%

Received as one of the numerous extras in a trade with JJFoodie. Thanks!

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with twist-off cap into a snifter glass.

Pours a clear mahogany hue with a finger of light beige foam that lingers momentarily before disappearing into a thick crown that leaves no trace of itself on the walls of the glass as it fades away.

Aroma is a fruity mix of peaches, apricots, and blueberries, with a hint of underlying nuttiness and brown sugar.

A little on the light side, with a medium body and a mild carbonation. Sweet up front, with a mild maltiness that is encircled by sweet peach juice. The middle is embodied by a very dry combination of nuts and herbaceous hops, with a bit of a gritty nature that carries through into the dry, nutty finish.

Very interesting and rather drinkable, though the finish is perhaps a bit too astringent. Peaches are not the sort of fruit I generally think of when it comes to winter, though having been born and raised in The Peach State on the site of an old pecan plantation, I do very much enjoy both peaches and pecans, and the combination in a beer is pleasant, unexpected, and uncommon. Certainly recommended.

superdedooperboy, Dec 10, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Dark amber, and copper coloring. Slight head, but not overly so.

S: Smells of dried apricots and a slight nuttiness.

T: The rich flavor of the apricots that are brewed in are heavy on the toungue with a smooth finish that makes you want more.

M: The overall mouth feel is supurb. This probably one of my favorite holiday beers as it is full bodied, but somewhat lighter than I expected.

D: I'd rate fairly high if it wasn't so seasonally oriented.

Overall, I'd suggest this beer to any of my friends. Cheers.

NicholasCasber, Dec 08, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -33.6%

Aroma: Crazy big artificial fruit flavors going on here. I get lots of artificial grape gum flavors that dominate the nose. No hop aromas. Some bready malt character as the beer is agitated.

Appearance: Dark copper colored pour with a low and short lasting white head.

Flavor: More artificial fruit flavors. Kind of seems like cran-grape juice. Background spicy hop notes provide some balance. Finish is crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and high carbonation. No astringency or warmth on the palate.

Overall impression: A very artifical, confusing ale. Not sure what to think of it but it just tasted industrial and artificial. Avoid.

mattcrill, Dec 07, 2009
4.64/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The ratings given above are of the most recent tasting

Review of 11-12-13
AR: 4.5 AR 4.75 F 4.75 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Wow... they have tweaked the recipe again. I think they have upped the peaches and the pecans. Just a little bit of hop and spice in the background. Very sweet but not overly so. Very smooth. Also very affordable.

My only gripe is that they do use "natural flavorings" and "caramel color" according to the label. This made a slight dent in the overall score.

Review of 12-4-2012
AP: 4.0, AR: 4.5, F: 4.5, MF: 4.0, OA: 4.5

I think they changed the recipe since 2009 because I really like this tasting (and I didn't like this beer when I had it in 2009).

The aroma is very fruity (definitely some ripe peaches) and some wheaty malt goodness.

Appearance has changed. This is now a shade lighter than Shiner Bock (rather than darker back in 2009).

Flavor is fantastic. Yes, there are peaches (ripe juicy ones) and pecans, but there is also some faint spiciness, and some heffeweizen-ish twang. Rich and sweet but not overly so. Pecan and peaches are noticeable in the finish. Not much hops but maybe a smidgen of cloves and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is much improved. Smooth and NOT over carbonated (as it was back in 2009).

Overall, this is one of the best beers I have had from Shiner in some time. I don't know what they did to the recipe (or if the 2009 tasting was from a bad batch), but I like this beer in 2012! This beer should get the "Most Improved" award for sure.

Review of 12-6-2009
AP: 4.0, AR 3.5, F 3.0, MF 2.0 OA 2.5
This is a strange beer. I've liked Shiner's winter seasonals in the past, and I generally like fruit beers, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

Pretty mahogany brown brew with little head. Clear, a shade darker than Shiner Bock.

Aroma is faint, maybe some peaches. The flavor to me is sorta confused, and is further thrown off by the excessive carbonation. Maybe there is twinge of peaches (more in the aftertaste though), roasted malt. The bottle says there are pecans in it, but I can't taste them. Maybe a little bit of spice in there somewhere.

I don't know. This beer seemed to need a little more something, maybe a tiny bit sweeter...

Ok, as I drink more of it, it gets better. Maybe the carbonation is fading off as I drink more. But really they should have gone for more of a creamy mouthfeel than the highly carbed one.

Probably too harsh on this. It's a good value for the price, but I guess I've been spoiled by Shiners other recent offerings like Commemorator.

jmbranum, Dec 06, 2009