Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

A: deep chestnut brown, thin layer of white head, minimal lacing

S: nose is all peach with hints of strawberry and vanilla in the background, very fruity, I'm amazed by how peachy this is.

T: taste feature fruitiness up front, not quite as peachy as the nose, notes of cherry and pecan come through, herbal notes on the finish

Mf: light body, mellow carbonation

O: really nice aroma, not sure how they pulled off the peach but I'm impressed. Not really getting the dunkelweizen character, but for what it is, it's tasty

2.7/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a dark ruby red/brown color, with an off-white head that crackles and pops its way down to nothing in no time. Nice color, but this is my fourth bottle in a week and I've never been able to achieve much of a head on this beer. And life's too short to worry about THAT.

If this were fruit juice or soda, it would smell just fine, but I'm pretty close to being put off by the smell. It's peachy, because I've been told peaches are in this beer, but moreover I feel like I'm smelling a just-opened bottle of Juicy Juice fruit juice, if you're familiar with that stuff. Cherry, grape, peach...it's like a punch in here. The pecans this beer was also brewed with are indiscernible in the nose, as is any real beer-like quality.

Each bottle I've had has been less and less impressive to me, taste-wise. I get some pecans here, and that's nice, but there's a kind of burnt-sugar character that is unpleasant, and the peach flavor borders on nasty, not to mention overpowering, and the overall sweetness is very soda-like. A spiciness like that in various US winter warmers tries to peek through (are these the "natural flavors"?) and I don't get much "Bavarian-style dark wheat" character as promised by the label. Again: soda-like. There's a good beer in here somewhere, I swear, but as is I wouldn't ever buy another 6-pack. Finishes bitter and plastic-y and just really messy.

And again soda-like with the texture/feel...quite spritzy and tingly, also it avoids being harsh with an element of smoothness and slickness.

Dunkelweizen? Really? I wish it had struck me more like a dunkelweizen, I like a good DW. This Shiner Cheer just isn't for me.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This new offering from Shiner, poured into a pint glass, comes out a nice reddish amber color with a dense, creamy head. The nose is very peachy (though, er, not peachy keen), to the exclusion of all else. The flavor is interesting--lots of peachiness, but not as sweet as I feared. Some nutty pecan comes through, and a light bittering hoppiness at the finish. Certainly different, and not all that bad.

I appreciate a fruit beer that isn't cloyingly sweet. This isn't a beer I'll seek out again, but I don't dread finishing the six-pack. In fact, it's quite drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue XI:

Dunkelweizen meets fruitcake. Here is Spoetzl Brewery's take on making a holiday beer out of a Bavarian-Style Dark Wheat Beer. Brewed with peaches, pecans, natural flavor and caramel color. Hey, at least they admit they use flavoring and color. Worried? Perhaps, but we'll let our taste buds be the judge.

Yup, it's a wheat beer with its towering head, good retention and all. Peach aroma dominates the nose, yet there are hints of pecans and some toasted maltiness. Ample smoothness with a slick, medium body. Fresh wheat malt and toasted grain are a good base that hold this beer together. Peach flavor has a mild twang within the subtle sweetness. Nutty, with a light pecan note in the middle. Mild hop presence does not get in the way, though it does help to balance. Finishes dry with a toasted bread crust and lingering pecan flavor.

Interesting, a flavored holiday ale where we would possibly want more than one. Nice to see something different rather than the usual pie spicing that ends up tasting like organic toothpaste. A good pick for the holiday party, as it will definitely spark some interest if not conversation. This is without a doubt a beer that non-beer drinkers could approach and hopefully get pulled into.

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Pours a very dark amber to brown color with light tan head that is nice at first, but recedes to a thin rim. Nose has plenty of peach and toasty aromas, maybe some black tea. On the palate the peach comes through nicely with a wheat cracker malt flavor. Extra nutty sweetness. Finishes like a dessert cake.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into SN IPA glass.
Attractive pour with big full tan head and brilliantly clear dark amber body. Fresh whiff of soft peaches with a minimal artificial effect. Very soft malt backgound.
Wow what an easy drinker. Goes does quickly and smoothly. Decent complexity for a small ale. The peach is more background with a greater yeast character showing and a rather strong laying on the tongue of what seems some hops. Not picking up much of the pecans, but takes on more of a classic english ale flavors as it warms and opens up. However, it also seems to sweeten up the peach and make it seem more artificial.
Oh well. A good enough ale with a soft and smooth feel.

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

My first thought here is WOW! Six and a half bucks from a brewery that is meh at best, and I am very impressed. Pours a medium amber color, with a bit of a white head on top. Light to medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation. Huge peach aroma and flavor carry the day here, along with a hint of nuts, some light brown sugar and earth. A very surprising, inviting and delicious "holiday" beer.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with no freshness date. Well, at least it's obvious what time of year this one hits the shelves.

Pours a beautiful reddish brown color with really good clarity. Cream colored head stood about an inch tall following a medium pour. After several minutes, it's reduced to a thin layer covering the majority of the beer. Some decent lacing.

Peaches come through nicely in the aroma. Maybe just a hint of pecan nuttiness, caramel, and butterscotch.

Slightly fruity up front with the malts and and wheat all working well together. Not getting too much in the way of pecan, but I'm sure that they add some sort of mild flavor here. Very delicate/soft bitterness on the back end.

Medium bodied with the carbonation landing just below moderate. Slight syrupy feel in the finish.

Not bad actually. I could see this as more of a fall or early spring seasonal.

Morey's Bottom Line: I don't think the peaches are overdone here at all. After reading some other reviews, that's what I was expecting. If anything, this dunkel is a bit tame and thin. Still an enjoyable beer though. By far the best I've had from this brewery.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Spoetzl Brewery's Shiner Holiday Cheer a couple weeks ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I thought I should give this years release a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice retro Christmas look to it. It poured a fairly clear redish dark amber color that took on a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and half of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer and I liked the color of it.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by big fruity aroma with some cranberry and other fruity aroma coming through with peaches seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a nice creamy aroma that mixes with the fruity aspect to make for an aroma that reminds me of those fruit and cream candies. It kind of reminds me of Short's peaches and cream. The aroma is decent, but it isn't very beer like and I don't pick up any Dunkelweizen like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of peach flavors with some other fruity flavors in the background. Up next comes that same creamy aspect that I got in the aroma and it makes for that same cream and fruit candy like aspect. Up next comes some light malty and grainy flavors with a somewhat lighter amount of bitterness with a creamy and peach like aftertaste. The taste isn't bad, but just like the aroma it's not very Dunkelweizen.

M- Smooth. crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I didn't think it was a good example of a Dunkelweizen since none of the aspects that I look for in the style came through, if they were there they were pretty much covered up by the creamy peach flavors and with how much the peach flavors stick out I think this would be better classified as a Fruit Beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, I thought they were both nice and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the how dominating the creamy peach flavors were, they weren't bad, but I thought they were too overpowering. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't seek it out and I don't think I would really recommend it unless you really like Peach flavored beers. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Shiner is usually pretty solid, but this beer seemed a little too unbalanced and artificial for my taste. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little bit of work.

3.2/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a glass stein. Copper with almost a finger of head that did not last long. Clear but not quite transparent.
Smells like a candy shop. Lots of peach and a little lemon scent. Not a normal beer smell, but it smelled nice.
The peach taste is there from beginning to end. Malty at first, leading to a watery and mildly bitter end.
Crisp texture, light to medium body and moderate carbonation.
The body should be thicker and the watery taste spoiled it. The peach smell and flavor was worked in really well, but the rest of the beer could not hold itself up.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery