Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,365 | Reviews: 385
4.52/5  rDev +27.3%

Pours with a medium-sized, white head. Had a very dark amber color. Has an aroma of wheat and peaches. The taste is a mixture of flavors. Initial one is peach and wheat. After taste is of malts and roasted pecans with a slight bitterness caused from the malted barley. A great balance is created between all the flavors.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

Color: pours golden brown and sits a clear, deep amber with a thick head and good lacing

Smell: fresh peaches dominate with sweet strawberry shortcake and pecans in tow

Taste: aroma translates well onto palate with the addition of a slight bitterness and bready malt. finish is balanced, somewhat dry and lightly bitter

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: love this one-of-a-kind ideal holiday brew

3.36/5  rDev -5.4%

Bought a six pack of Cheer over the holidays. Probably my second favorite Shiner after Ruby Redbird. Let's give this a whirl on a BA review. Poured a 12 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours with a nice off-white head... as long as I pour it as vigorously as possible. The body is wonderfully clear, though. Nice clean amber color. Maybe a bit too clean for a solid beer... but that's not a truly valid complaint. Decent stuff.

The nose has a sweet tang to it to start. Must be the peaches. There's also a unique nuttiness that rolls with it. I'd give it a higher score, but this bottle has a slight putrid aroma to go along with those two awesome components.

The beer isn't putrid, it's interesting. Very sweet and peachy. The caramel malts come through, too. The nuttiness is fatty and rounded. It makes for a nice aftertaste. I don't get any of the characteristic Shiner metallic flavor in this... so huzzah! Still, I wish the beer would jump a bit more with these flavors. Can someone else make this beer?

I have a Texas license, but I'm not a Texan. Maybe that explains why I don't love Shiner. It's better than the standard AAL... and this is completely unique and better than the Bock... but Shiner still isn't great in my book.

2.74/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Minimal head that quickly disappears. Artificial coloring per the label. Seriously? Dark amber color I guess.

Aroma is complicated. Lots of sweetness, a lot of peach. Flavor is much the same. Not a bad drink, but it doesn't taste like beer. Overwhelmingly peach, but tastes like artificial peach flavoring.

Mouthfeel is probably about right, but overall I feel like Shiner is just doing a bit with this and I can't take it seriously.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

I had this poured into a pint glass, my first review of a Shiner offering. The color is nice and inviting, a warm copper brown. The taste..well it's super fruity. Like very fruity. I like dunkelweizens in general, but this might have been a bit too much peach. I could have one of these around the holidays each year, but probably not more than that.

1.4/5  rDev -60.6%

i agree with marco, this is the worst beer ever. and it does indeed taste like parmesan cheese!

3.01/5  rDev -15.2%

Shiner Holiday Cheer pours a dark coppery color with a good sized head.

smells strongly of peaches and pecans. there's that twinge of artificiality that i don't care for in my beer, but it comes across as good.

wow, the taste is much different than the smell. much stronger in the peach especially, but the pecan also comes through. the malt is slighlty roasted and grainy, and the earthy hops are slightly bitter. it's a bomb of artificial peachy-nuttyness.

mouthfeel medium-full, strongly carbonated. easy to drink, but not really for me. it's the overwhelming taste of peaches that turns me off to it.

3.27/5  rDev -7.9%

I wasn't going to spend the time reviewing this beer until I read that it was brewed with peaches and pecans. So...

A: Forms a nice head that sticks around. Quite dark in color, but the fact that they mentioned the addition of caramel color makes it feel like their cheating.

S: Sure enough - dominant peachy smell, with butty, bready underlayers.

T: Peachy keen. Somewhat sour, and malty flavors, but they fade pretty quickly, and there's not much finish to it.

M: Almost creamy, but tends toward watery. Somewhat insufficient carbonation. Not terrible, but nothing great.

D: The peach flavor is novel, but I'm not compelled to have more. I'll add the bottle to my Christmas collection, but I'm think I'm pretty much done.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

I am a sucker for seasonal and holiday release beers so I grabbed this one as a single for $1.60 at one of my beer stores.

A- Dark copper, kind of fizzy looking.
S- Thin smell of mostly peaches.
T- Peaches again, and some other fruity flavors. I don't get much pecan, some wheat malt in there too.
M- Medium bodied, pretty fizzy.
D- I'm glad I only bought one but it was pretty enjoyable.

Interesting take on a holiday beer. I took my first smell and sip expecting the holiday spice cabinet as I had not yet read the label and found the peach flavor to be a nice change from the usual holiday beers.

2.46/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours an amber/ruby color with a one finger head that stays for a while.

Smell is not appealing at all. It smells like that gummy peach ring candy you can buy at any convenience store. Totally artificial and a bit sickly. Taste is a bit of maltiness with a ton of fake peach sweetness and a disgusting bitter metallic finish. Ugh.

Mouthfeel is thin, and I wouldn't drink this again if I had to.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Red-amber with a moderate head.

Smell: The pecans come through in the aroma. Also peaches.

Taste: Peaches dominate. More specifically, canned peaches. I could swear this beer is half canned peach syrup. I don't detect much of the pecans, just a little on the finish, but that's probably because the peach aspect is so strong. This is supposedly a dunkelweizen, but there's very little wheat character.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: With such strong fruit character, this is a one at a time kind of beer, or better yet, split a 12 oz. bottle for dessert.

Notes: This is certainly a unique brew. I like peaches, so I enjoyed it. But if you don't care for canned peaches then watch out! I'll at least have a few bottles next holiday season.

3.22/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours from the bottle a deep blend of garnet and brown with a short-lived finger of brown head. Peach dominates the aroma, much like a can of fruit cocktail, but it's not a unpleasant smell. The amount of peachiness in the nose is a good indicator of what's to come in the taste. The peach flavors, however, aren't as pleasant, and I found the taste a little astringent. The pecans the label mentions do come out at last in the finish, however, and are a nice touch. A slightly hoppy finish combined with the peach flavor makes for a below average mouthfeel and drinkability, in my opinion.

An interesting beer and not bad.... I'm glad to have Shiner trying offerings like this, and I think I'd drink a few again next winter.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Had on tap at the Yardhouse in Houston

A - Dark amber in color with a tan head that receded very quickly, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S - Getting a sweet peach sniff along with a very slight hint of malts.

T - Predominantly peaches with some malts and some pine on the finish. Finishes rather dry which I like. Feel like I get a little bit of slate.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry in the mouth.

O - This is not a bad beer, some would probably like to see more spiciness or malts, I like the finish being somewhat dry, the peaches aren't overpowering.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

It poured a deep clear amber with a white foamy head.

The aroma was pleasant, with peaches at the forefront. I also had a nutty caramel aroma.

The taste didn't really live up to the aroma. It tasted like a regular Shiner but with added flavors built on top. I didn't think the peach aspect was as strong in the taste as it was in the aroma. There was also a nutty flavor lingering about, but unless I was told otherwise, I would not have guessed pecans. It also had a generic holiday spice taste, but for the most part it got lost in the shuffle of the peach and malt flavors

Like almost all Shiner products the mouth feel was very carbonated.

It had a fairly decent drinkability.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it but I don't feel the need to revisit it again until next December. It was good and worth the try, however, there was something too artificial about it. The peach flavor tasted like the peach flavoring in an Arizona Ice Tea, only not as pronounced.

3.72/5  rDev +4.8%

A-dark amber w/ small/medium head

S-peaches, cinnamon and malt

T-The taste is the key to any beer...this is where this beer excels. Peaches is the clear dominant flavor...which is appreciated...nuttiness (assuming pecas)...thought I got some cinnamon flavor as well. but IMO takes a backseat to the more dominant flavors.

M-Easy easy easy to drink

O-I was throughly impressed by this beer. I really enjoyed the peach flavor along w/ the other flavor combinations. When I had this on tap...they rimmed the glass w/ brown sugar and cinnamon...fantastic...I copied this at home as well on a couple bottles. One of my favorite, shockingly, holiday releases.

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured into a Sam Adams "bubble' glass.

Dark Hefe-copper with a foamy one inch head thats sustains with a nice lace.

Smells of ripe peaches, spicey saaz and roasted nuts.

Taste is a smooth fruity peach and roasted almond blended with a noble saaz and flowery lemon grass.

Smooth and satisfying medium bodied offering. Excellent holiday brew!

Holiday cheer indeed...

3.52/5  rDev -0.8%

2010 version poured into shaker pint glass. Poured an amber coler with a small head that disapated fairly quickly. Aromas of peaches, light brown sugar, and lightly roasted malt. Taste was pretty good: malt, a touch of peaches, nuts, and brown sugar. Out of the offerings I've had from Shiner, this one comes out on top.

3.57/5  rDev +0.6%

Out of a bottle at The Locker Room in Columbus. Best by? Date of 1/23/11 on the bottle.

A: Wasnt served with a glass, go figure. I gave slightly above average, as what I can see is a nice amber color. I don't like that I don't have a proper glass so I can see it. Thus why I distance give it worse or better than I did.

S: Wow, this one is nice. First note is toasted pecans, peach, and caramel. The peach almost takes back seat to the pecans.

T: To me, the pecan is dominant. The caramel melds with the peach to remind of a cobbler. This is not bad.

M: Smooth, if a little thin. Finishes clean.

D: Not too shabby. It's easier to drink than I expected.

Overall, this one is decent. Give it a shot. If I see it again when I am feeling better, I will review it again. Maybe my tastebuds are messed up right now.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A- very clear dark ruby body with a cream colored head.

N - wow really sweet. But not malt sweetness... it's peachy and pecany. Maybe a bit yeasty.

T - peaches and pecans dominate. The standard dunkel notes are there but rather diluted. Maybe. Some winter spices?

M - slick. There's decent carbonation and it's fine.

O - different and not bad but I doubt I would buy a sixer or a pint. Cheers.

3.23/5  rDev -9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 27, 2010). No freshness date that I can find. This was part of a mixed six pack of Christmas seasonal brews picked up at Armanetti Wine Shoppe and Beverage Mart in Chicago.

I'm into the Christmas beers, and this was a leftover from a couple months ago. The bottle staes this is made with peaches and pecans, it sounds like an odd combo to me, but I'll give it a chance. Let's see how Texans make a snowy Christmas beer shall we?

Eyes: Pours a darkish orange/red with zero haze. One finger head, low retention and lacing.

Nose: Peaches up front, in the middle, and on the end. It actually smells quite natural, but it just doesn't seem to blend well with the yeast here. I don't get much aroma of either the nuts or the Dunkelwizen.

Tongue: Still peachy, especially in the aftertaste, but not as much as the nose. I like peaches, but there's just to much fruit here. The flavor delivers a bit more of the nuttiness, but not much.

Mouth: Fairly good weight, decent carbonation also.

Libation: I can't put my finger on a specific taste I don't like here, but the blending isn't to my liking and I'm not sure it's balanced. A hint of peaches would go great in a beer, but this is too much of a peach wallop. The nuttiness and alcohol try to reign in those peaches, but they fail. It's an interesting beer, but not one I'll naturally turn to at Christmas time.

2.35/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Way to sweet tasting. Very sugary.

3.57/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

The pour is light brown with 1/2 inch of white head that leaves quickly. There is little lacing.

The nose is largely peaches mixed with some citrusy notes and just a hint of the pecans. The taste is also peaches with the citrus, but the nuts come out more. There is also a hint of bready flavour. There is a semi-dry finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is okay, but the peaches are kind of strong.

While it seems to be just what Spoetzl was going for, it's not a beer for me. I guess I'm not a big fan of peaches in beer.

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%

pours a clear amber body with a billowy-bubbly lightly brown head. the smell is very interesting. it's very berry like, fruity, fruit punch. with a hint of saaz hops i think, graipfruit / pine smell. Taste is interesting. lots of different fruits going on, peachy for sure. the dominant flavor is the grapefruit / pine hops. it could use a little for malt up front to match the hops. mouth feel is light a carbonated. drinkability is average, maybe not a session beer but you could do a sixpack in one night. this might be my favorite xmass beer because it's not super high alcohol, not super heavy, and not heavily spiced.

3.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Sounded interesting with the peaches and pecans, so I had to try one. Pours an amber gold color with minimal white foam that settles fast. Aromas of baked apples and cinnamon with a nutty undertone. Flavor is lightly sweet and refreshing. A nutty malt base with hints of honey and peach fruit. Nice carbonation, pretty much an adult holiday soda.

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner