1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 311 | Show All Ratings:
cousineddy

3.46/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a deep caramel color, with 4 fingers of rich tan head, pours a bit foamy for my taste. Good lacing

Smell: Peach preserves. candied pecans and other nutty aromas. very little hops.

Taste: Tastes faintly of peaches, i get very little of the pecans it says it is brewed with. Slight malt notes towards the end. I wish the flavor of this beer matched the smell.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat flat and thin, leaves some to be desired from a winter beer.

Overall: This is the second beer ive had that has been brewed with pecans, personally it doesn't seem to me to have a strong enough flavor to come through in the beer. I got this brew in a gift basket so i was happy to try it, however i won't be buying this in a 6-pack.

01-09-2013 05:17:55 | More by cousineddy
OverToad

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case of this at the Sam's in Grapevine, TX.

I thought at first after reading the label I might be turned off by peaches. I don't know if it's the batch I bought or not, but I can't really detect any peaches in it or it could be just a great balance that I can't detect it.

It pours a great color of a deep red.

Smell is very good which reminds me of Shiner.

Taste is very good. I like this brew best out of all the Shiner beers. Very crisp with spices.

I knocked out two of these right off the bat. Very good beer.

11-15-2008 00:20:40 | More by OverToad
crashdavisinoh

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

A-dark amber w/ small/medium head

S-peaches, cinnamon and malt

T-The taste is the key to any beer...this is where this beer excels. Peaches is the clear dominant flavor...which is appreciated...nuttiness (assuming pecas)...thought I got some cinnamon flavor as well. but IMO takes a backseat to the more dominant flavors.

M-Easy easy easy to drink

O-I was throughly impressed by this beer. I really enjoyed the peach flavor along w/ the other flavor combinations. When I had this on tap...they rimmed the glass w/ brown sugar and cinnamon...fantastic...I copied this at home as well on a couple bottles. One of my favorite, shockingly, holiday releases.

01-12-2012 18:43:02 | More by crashdavisinoh
Craigory

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Growler fill from Green's Piney Grove, poured into a Shiner Cheer pint glass.

A: Pours a fairly clear auburn/ruby body with just a tad of off-white head that dissipates within moments.

S: Huge peach juice dominates the nose, and not much else gets through.

T: Peach juice and more peach juice. Eventually a slight pecan nuttiness presents itself, followed by a hint of malty bitterness in the finish. Not much dunkel character.

M: Peach soda.

O: This is a peach soda beer. It's one-note, but the flavor is not artificial and it's easy-drinking.

Serving type: growler

01-18-2014 00:37:03 | More by Craigory
Rhettbuck

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

This is perhaps the most unusual winter/holiday beer I've ever had the joy to drink. I am not normally a holiday beer kinda guy, but if they were all this good, I might be more inclined to try them.

Appearance: Darker than I thought it would be, with a good head that rapidly disappears. Not much for lacing.

Smell: The label says that the beer is brewed with peaches and you really can smell it! Very sweet almost sugary trait to the smell.

Taste: Peaches and pecans, thats what the beer is brewed with, and thats the taste you get. When I first tasted it I thought that someone had made a cupcake flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Not very carbonated which doesn't seem to matter as the sweet taste still has a clean finish. Maybe some carmel after tones, but thats about it.

Drinkability: Considering how sickly sweet this beer can be, you probably couldn't drink it non-stop. But that being said it is still so good that you should check it out.

12-26-2010 23:18:00 | More by Rhettbuck
Bernoulli

South Carolina

2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Not much head, a splash of lacing. Hazy deep reddish-amber.

Definite scent of fruit. Maybe plums? (Obviously peaches once the server suggests that... but not reminiscent of Son of Peach).

The fruit flavor almost overwhelms the beer beneath it. They don't particularly seem to complement each other. A bit less alcohol than you'd expect in a warmer.

Not horrible, but we wouldn't order it again.

01-10-2014 23:14:13 | More by Bernoulli
frognot

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber body with a medium head.

Smell: The aroma is a strong combination of mostly peach with a small amount of roasted pecans.

Taste: Sweet bready taste with a light peach flavor (was expecting a fruitier taste from the aroma) and equal nutty flavor. It's just really nice balance with just a whiff of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable by itself or with a meal (especially chicken or pork).

04-25-2010 18:35:27 | More by frognot
brandon911

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Served into a mug.

The beer was pretty transparent with a fairly dark amber color and with a decently thick white, foamy head that dissipated fairly quickly. It smells great, with a lot of peach and apricot right in front with some slight roast apparent and maybe a lil' lemon. The smell doesn't carry over as well to the taste, though it still tastes very good. The fruity smell is not as apparent in the taste as this is dominated mainly by hops, though the beer tastes a little watery. There's nothing special about the mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated and a little two watery and thin. Overall, a decent and refreshing beer!

I often enjoy Shiner Bock because it's pretty cheap and widely available, though I enjoyed this more and could definitely enjoy this in the future.

11-22-2011 20:17:09 | More by brandon911
lanechaffin

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao.

11-28-2010 00:05:38 | More by lanechaffin
smulkowski

Idaho

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Chestnut, translucent, billowing head dissipating relatively quickly to a skiff and ring.
S: Canned peaches, faint alcohol and malt.
T: Peach cobbler, sweet attack with a dry mango aftertaste. Well balanced and interesting.
M: A bit thin, slick.
D: Pretty high, might get tired of this after a few.

01-01-2011 02:17:08 | More by smulkowski
fallopia

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into an ale glass.

Appearance: Clear, tea-brown color with a thick, creamy, lacy head with staying power.

Aroma: Bright, distinctive aroma with orange and cherry flavors

Flavor: Excellent balance of malt and hops with a clove/pepper finish

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a very pleasant lingering, hoppy finish.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I'm having a difficult time describing the very distinctive, non-beer flavor. Maybe it's just the 'holiday' in the title, but it does have a yuletide feel.

11-15-2012 02:59:15 | More by fallopia
kristenrae8

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'll admit it, the label design influenced me in my choice for a mix n match six pack Saturday. I love cheesy retro design and font. The beer is good and I would buy a full six-pack again.

Appearance: Blushing Caramel color - pours an average head, barely any lacing.

Smell: Southern Holiday: Peaches, Nutmeg, "A brisk 55 degree day" Subtle essence of date or currant.

Taste: It's sweet, not hoppy, it's a gentle beer. This would be a good choice to bring to a holiday party where the crowd is partial to Bud Light or MGD. It's flavorful, but not going to scare anyone away.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin style, perhaps I've been indulging in too many oatmeal stouts lately.

Overall: The drinkability it high for the newbie, it's be a good introductory beer for those just starting to branch away from the generic flavors of american standards. It's a great Monday after work beer.

12-10-2011 18:57:51 | More by kristenrae8
hyprlt

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

12oz bottle poured into a mason jar.

A: short, half-inch creamy(ish) and cream-colored head. Caramel colored and quite clear.

S: slight peach aromas that may be enhanced by the hops. on-off scent, i can't really explain, just different.

T: the pecan flavor combined with the peaches jumps at you immediately, not in a good way. the back end is total peaches. after a few sips, its not appalling.

M: a little thick as a german style, but Im probably wrong on that. Not overly carbonated.

O: At first, I absolutely hated it. The aftertaste is definitely peaches, and that isn't a terrible thing. As a recommendation, I'd say you have to have it once.

12-16-2011 19:51:52 | More by hyprlt
joozyboozy

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

the appearance was a deep red color

the smell was very very peachy pretty nice.

the taste was alot like peach coolaid and bland.

mouthfeel was decend a bit watery though.

i drank all right away cause that was about the only enjoyment i got from them

10-26-2009 17:13:15 | More by joozyboozy
huricrane47

Oklahoma

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-opaque brown with a red tint
Smells like peaches and cream
Taste- peaches and cream and caramel with medium bitterness from hops.
Mouthfeel- medium/high water content
Drinkablility- easy to drink but could probably only drink 2 or 3 in a night because of the peach.

This beer is not sweet like I thought it was going to be, which was a pleasant surprise. I would probably spend 6 bucks on a 22oz rogue style bottle, but luckily it is that price for a 6 pack. Very good deal and very good beer. The flavor is very complex and the peach/cream/caramel comes first with the hop bitterness next. Both flavors then lighten up. Also, the beer is very carbonated. Best beer that I have had from Shiner. They did a great job brewing this beer.

12-01-2009 05:48:46 | More by huricrane47
brewyou2

Oklahoma

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

Prosit!

11-08-2011 04:34:15 | More by brewyou2
ValpoExpo

A simply unique seasonal Christmas beer! Living in NE Ohio we are fortunate enough to enjoy Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas. However, Shiner Cheer from Texas has become our favorite Holiday beer surpassing all the fantastic beers we are able to enjoy in Ohio. Additionally, the branding and color permutation of the label may be the best out there. So cool and so glad this beer has arrived!

10-15-2013 05:20:31 | More by ValpoExpo
JAZwara

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Excellent holiday offering from Shiner. Made with pecans and peach, a great blend of sweet and nutty with a little touch of citrus. Very good to drink one, but all the flavors make it tough to drink more than that. The peach flavor is definitely a pretty unique one.

12-09-2010 02:25:48 | More by JAZwara
monnik

2.04/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

11-12-2012 19:12:42 | More by monnik
DubBrewer

Louisiana

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance - Light brown with slight caramel hue to it. The wheat gives it good head retention. Filtered brew.

Smell - Light peach aroma with some of the wheat malt present as well. Slightly nutty aroma is also there.

Taste - Soft peach flavor with refreshing wheat malt. The nutty flavor is in the beginning of it and it finishes with a nice sweet peach. The hops give it a soft bitterness but are mostly there to support the malt profile.

Mouthfeel - Very refreshing and smooth carbonation with a light body.

Drinkability - Overall, I would have to say fairly good drinkability. I like combination of the pecan and peach flavor. It is a sweeter brew, but its a nice seasonal type variety.

12-29-2008 03:12:34 | More by DubBrewer
hophunter

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session.

11-18-2010 21:19:44 | More by hophunter
thomasdidymus55

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is caramel or light coffee color..with quite a bit of carbonation. Not a whole lot of head though. Nice sticky lace..almost like a watered down syrup. I can definetely smell the peach. Very good tasting. Goes down well. You gotta have one of these.

12-03-2010 19:36:38 | More by thomasdidymus55
johntp

South Dakota

A: Very clear, and christmas red. One fingers worth of off white, creamy head.

S: Smells mostly of peaches, with a slight nutty hoppiness.

T: Taste is overwhelmingly peaches, like peach juice. The hop bite is the only thing that tastes like beer. Faint nut and spice in the background.

M: Thin, a bit sticky, and plenty of carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable due to thin body, carbonation, and flavour is not very robust.

To me, this is a once a year type beer. Its unique and a great beer to enjoy during the holidays, I would not probably drink this year round, even if it were available.

12-31-2010 06:38:25 | More by johntp
Nichts

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

11-20-2009 05:50:45 | More by Nichts
capt_rob934

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm.

03-22-2012 05:13:17 | More by capt_rob934