2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 311 | Show All Ratings:
fallopia

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into an ale glass.

Appearance: Clear, tea-brown color with a thick, creamy, lacy head with staying power.

Aroma: Bright, distinctive aroma with orange and cherry flavors

Flavor: Excellent balance of malt and hops with a clove/pepper finish

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a very pleasant lingering, hoppy finish.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I'm having a difficult time describing the very distinctive, non-beer flavor. Maybe it's just the 'holiday' in the title, but it does have a yuletide feel.

11-15-2012 02:59:15 | More by fallopia
kristenrae8

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'll admit it, the label design influenced me in my choice for a mix n match six pack Saturday. I love cheesy retro design and font. The beer is good and I would buy a full six-pack again.

Appearance: Blushing Caramel color - pours an average head, barely any lacing.

Smell: Southern Holiday: Peaches, Nutmeg, "A brisk 55 degree day" Subtle essence of date or currant.

Taste: It's sweet, not hoppy, it's a gentle beer. This would be a good choice to bring to a holiday party where the crowd is partial to Bud Light or MGD. It's flavorful, but not going to scare anyone away.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin style, perhaps I've been indulging in too many oatmeal stouts lately.

Overall: The drinkability it high for the newbie, it's be a good introductory beer for those just starting to branch away from the generic flavors of american standards. It's a great Monday after work beer.

12-10-2011 18:57:51 | More by kristenrae8
hyprlt

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

12oz bottle poured into a mason jar.

A: short, half-inch creamy(ish) and cream-colored head. Caramel colored and quite clear.

S: slight peach aromas that may be enhanced by the hops. on-off scent, i can't really explain, just different.

T: the pecan flavor combined with the peaches jumps at you immediately, not in a good way. the back end is total peaches. after a few sips, its not appalling.

M: a little thick as a german style, but Im probably wrong on that. Not overly carbonated.

O: At first, I absolutely hated it. The aftertaste is definitely peaches, and that isn't a terrible thing. As a recommendation, I'd say you have to have it once.

12-16-2011 19:51:52 | More by hyprlt
joozyboozy

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

the appearance was a deep red color

the smell was very very peachy pretty nice.

the taste was alot like peach coolaid and bland.

mouthfeel was decend a bit watery though.

i drank all right away cause that was about the only enjoyment i got from them

10-26-2009 17:13:15 | More by joozyboozy
huricrane47

Oklahoma

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-opaque brown with a red tint
Smells like peaches and cream
Taste- peaches and cream and caramel with medium bitterness from hops.
Mouthfeel- medium/high water content
Drinkablility- easy to drink but could probably only drink 2 or 3 in a night because of the peach.

This beer is not sweet like I thought it was going to be, which was a pleasant surprise. I would probably spend 6 bucks on a 22oz rogue style bottle, but luckily it is that price for a 6 pack. Very good deal and very good beer. The flavor is very complex and the peach/cream/caramel comes first with the hop bitterness next. Both flavors then lighten up. Also, the beer is very carbonated. Best beer that I have had from Shiner. They did a great job brewing this beer.

12-01-2009 05:48:46 | More by huricrane47
brewyou2

Oklahoma

3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

Prosit!

11-08-2011 04:34:15 | More by brewyou2
ValpoExpo

A simply unique seasonal Christmas beer! Living in NE Ohio we are fortunate enough to enjoy Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas. However, Shiner Cheer from Texas has become our favorite Holiday beer surpassing all the fantastic beers we are able to enjoy in Ohio. Additionally, the branding and color permutation of the label may be the best out there. So cool and so glad this beer has arrived!

10-15-2013 05:20:31 | More by ValpoExpo
JAZwara

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Excellent holiday offering from Shiner. Made with pecans and peach, a great blend of sweet and nutty with a little touch of citrus. Very good to drink one, but all the flavors make it tough to drink more than that. The peach flavor is definitely a pretty unique one.

12-09-2010 02:25:48 | More by JAZwara
monnik

2.04/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

11-12-2012 19:12:42 | More by monnik
DubBrewer

Louisiana

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearance - Light brown with slight caramel hue to it. The wheat gives it good head retention. Filtered brew.

Smell - Light peach aroma with some of the wheat malt present as well. Slightly nutty aroma is also there.

Taste - Soft peach flavor with refreshing wheat malt. The nutty flavor is in the beginning of it and it finishes with a nice sweet peach. The hops give it a soft bitterness but are mostly there to support the malt profile.

Mouthfeel - Very refreshing and smooth carbonation with a light body.

Drinkability - Overall, I would have to say fairly good drinkability. I like combination of the pecan and peach flavor. It is a sweeter brew, but its a nice seasonal type variety.

12-29-2008 03:12:34 | More by DubBrewer
hophunter

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session.

11-18-2010 21:19:44 | More by hophunter
thomasdidymus55

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is caramel or light coffee color..with quite a bit of carbonation. Not a whole lot of head though. Nice sticky lace..almost like a watered down syrup. I can definetely smell the peach. Very good tasting. Goes down well. You gotta have one of these.

12-03-2010 19:36:38 | More by thomasdidymus55
johntp

South Dakota

A: Very clear, and christmas red. One fingers worth of off white, creamy head.

S: Smells mostly of peaches, with a slight nutty hoppiness.

T: Taste is overwhelmingly peaches, like peach juice. The hop bite is the only thing that tastes like beer. Faint nut and spice in the background.

M: Thin, a bit sticky, and plenty of carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable due to thin body, carbonation, and flavour is not very robust.

To me, this is a once a year type beer. Its unique and a great beer to enjoy during the holidays, I would not probably drink this year round, even if it were available.

12-31-2010 06:38:25 | More by johntp
Nichts

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

11-20-2009 05:50:45 | More by Nichts
capt_rob934

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm.

03-22-2012 05:13:17 | More by capt_rob934
rexbock

4.65/5  rDev +31.7%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household.

01-22-2012 06:13:30 | More by rexbock
UHRedCat

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a pint sized drinking glass.

Appearance is dark amber or brown. The smell has a slight peach flavor. The taste is where the peach sticks out the most. I could not taste the pecans that are mentioned on the bottle. The mouthfeel is slightly smooth.

A very drinkable beer and much better than I expected it to be.

11-30-2010 21:54:12 | More by UHRedCat
BWE

4.63/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured this in a tall slim 12oz glass. Has a very airy bubbly head too it. Almost like a soda. The mouth feel of it is kind of like that too, very carbonated. BUT, that is in no way a negative take on it. Just a bit different for a beer.

The flavor is unique and delicious. Peaches... Big peach taste. You can some what taste the pecans in it and a little spice of some sort. It definitely screams Christmas. Unfortunately is is a seasonal, but if you see a 6 pack in the store during the holidays, it is a must to try with friends of family.

01-07-2014 02:20:19 | More by BWE
fctoaster

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Single bottle from a create-a-six-pack of holiday/x-mas seasonals.

A- deep cranberry juice color, crystal clear. Small tan head, steady carbonation throughout.
S- Huge peach jam scent- no hops, malt, or supposed pecans.
T-Huge front of peaches, then a second wave of the pecan's nuttiness and sweetness. Also after the peaches is a slight bitter note-- not very pronounced whatsoever.
M- Light and thin. The carbonation is very subtle, not biting or crisp really.
D- Very smooth texture, but the sweetness and peach flavor are quite out of balance. Probably couldn't drink more than two at a time. Would go really well with desert however.

12-12-2008 03:46:08 | More by fctoaster
cmkendrick

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change.

12-07-2010 02:18:11 | More by cmkendrick
rjr8

4.78/5  rDev +35.4%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect.

11-26-2011 21:58:31 | More by rjr8
AMERADJUNCTPROF

Arizona

1.6/5  rDev -54.7%

I don't want to write too much, since I have wasted enough time with this beer.

It is an average beer with what tastes like a bad Jolly Rancher dropped in it. I'm not sure if you like fruity beer, but even if you do, this is just not good. I rarely leave a beer in my fridge, they eventually get drunk, but this didn't.

I only kept one because I wanted a friend of mine to taste how bad it was. He didn't mind it that much. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

05-14-2011 23:06:52 | More by AMERADJUNCTPROF
Idrinksomuch

Delaware

The perfect Christmas beer. The flavors of pecans and peaches are subtle and not over powering like that crap made with water from Lake Michigan. This is a truly sessionable Christmas beer. There is no need to put anything girly around the rim of the glass to kill the taste, it is great on it's own. I am drinking it right now!

11-08-2013 17:19:52 | More by Idrinksomuch
hookem2oo7

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I'm a big fan of any Shiner offering, and I always try the seasonal beers they release--most of the time it's just once. This is one of their better brews, and I can see myself buying many more sixers of this during the holidays. Beer looks much like their other dark offerings (Shiner Black, Dunkelweisen), smell is really peachy and fruity, nice head, good lacing. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but has good carbonation. Taste is really fruity, almost tangy, with a slight nuttiness at the end.

Great beer, one of Shiner's best in my opinion. The fruitiness was a nice surprise, would recommend this beer to anyone.

11-05-2008 03:22:58 | More by hookem2oo7
ProfessorK

Louisiana

1.85/5  rDev -47.6%

I would not bother to dis a beer just because I didn't like it but this beer crossed the line by labeling itself as a Dunkelweizen.

I was fortunate enough to live in Germany for three years. I don't claim to be an expert but Dunkelweizen was one of my top three favorite German styles and I tried it everywhere I saw it (including every example in the BJCP). This beer misses the Dunkelweizen mark in every category.

A - The color is a quite lovely ruby hue but the beer is much too clear. Dunkelweizen is traditionally unfiltered with a strong protein haze that is apparent even if you don't swirl the sediment.

S - The peach smell is pretty nice but the beer lacks all of the phenol and ester aromas that make Dunkelweizens mouthwatering.

T - I was looking forward to the peach in this beer and it was nice but a little strong, perhaps because most of the other expected flavors were missing. There is an obvious Munich component to this beer but there is little else that is found in an authentic Dunkelweizen. No banana or clove. Muted esters. No breadiness from the yeast.

M - The mouthfeel is decent but it missing the "heft" of an unfiltered wheat beer.

O - Compared to other American wheat beers and/or fruit beers I find this one to be average but I will be the first to admit that this is not my style. If Spoetzl had marked this beer as Dark American Wheat I still wouldn't like it but I would be forced to give it slightly higher marks. As it stands, the "Old World Dunkelweizen" on the box is an outright lie.

12-09-2011 01:10:45 | More by ProfessorK