Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,405
3.09/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a red/amber with a light quickly disappearing head with remains thin and lace like. District smell of peaches and a very slight nuttiness. Once I sipped the beer, I got a good amount of candied pecan taste. Very sweet. Feel is thin and has a medium to light level of carbonation

A spiced dark wheat wassail, caramel colored, with a fresh peachy note in the nose.
After reading about this a Christmas or two ago, this is my first sampling, and I must admit this is like finding a surprise package under the tree. I have never tasted an ale like this one before. The use of peaches and pecans gives this a unique flavor profile, which is neither dry nor sweet, but has bit of tartness in the finish. Getting over the initial flavor shock, this becomes a very tasty, drinkable beer. A krausend 5.4 % delight.

3.52/5  rDev 0%

A: Clear, reddish-brown with a thin head

S: Sweet peaches are overwhelming with a maltiness in the background

T: Again the peaches and sweetness are notable up front. Starts sweet again Goes through a good progression as it finishes dry.

M: Medium-heavy that is fairly smooth with light carbonation.

D: Its unique smell and taste make it an enjoyable novelty beer, but not something that I would want to drink on a regular basis.

3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

4.07/5  rDev +15.6%

Transparent amber, short lived head, the lacing is..so...so. Interesting smell, a little vanilla, a little molases, and something I can't quite put a finger on...maybe it is peaches, yeah peaches...well,..imagine that. The flavour of this little brew caught me off guard, expecting peaches, I was not disappointed but where are the pecans?...oh well. The peach is very nice against a nice malty, slightly bitter backdrop.... it pushes my button. Mouthfeel is decent and drinkability very good.

I found this to be a balanced and interesting brew. Tweak it a little, lighten it little and bingo!.. you could have a delightful summer refresher.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a reddish-tan with a hefty head which dwindles to ~1/4inch. First smells strongly of peaches, slightly nutty and then peachy lingering. Tastes similar to smell, except tastes more like a dunkelweizen beer. Does not smell all that much like beer to me. The taste is not too strong, with a slightly wheaty finish precluded by light hoppy bite. Feels a bit to fizzy, I could have gone for a slightly greater viscosity with less fizzy carbonation. Overall, a fun beer to try, but not something worth going out of your way for. Very cool bottle, though!

4.39/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance: 12oz twist top bottle with no best by or bottling date. To me From Shine. This beer pours a dark red with a tan head that reaches about one inch then starts to recede.

Smell: Peaches, and tons of them, apricots, plums, alcohol, and malts. Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste: Malts, peaches and slight alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not overly so, warmth from the alcohol. The mouth is left feeling clean.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, the best wheat beer I have ever had. This is also the best Shiner beer I have ever had. A great job and an excellent beer.

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%

gives me about a one finger head that disappears pretty quickly. has an appealing amber color to it, and carbonation is visible.

smells of peach nectar really...i can't pick up much else. but yes it smells pretty good.

the taste is not nearly as sweet as i would expect. a bit bitter with a sweet finish, but for sure not too sweet.

the mouthfeel is a little to carbonated for me. but other than that i don't mind it.

i would say the drinkability is easily there on this brew.

Oh i just thought i would add that i found out the ABV is 5.4

2.81/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Dark amber, and copper coloring. Slight head, but not overly so.

S: Smells of dried apricots and a slight nuttiness.

T: The rich flavor of the apricots that are brewed in are heavy on the toungue with a smooth finish that makes you want more.

M: The overall mouth feel is supurb. This probably one of my favorite holiday beers as it is full bodied, but somewhat lighter than I expected.

D: I'd rate fairly high if it wasn't so seasonally oriented.

Overall, I'd suggest this beer to any of my friends. Cheers.

3.82/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- looks medium brown, but is beautiful dark red when held up to light. Vaguely off-white head that disappears quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Lots of peach and a little bit nut.

T- Love this. Starts with loads of peach, has a very round, nutty taste in the middle, and finishes with a little citrusy-pine hops.

MF- Meh. Not bad, but a little under-carbonated to be great. If you're looking for a sweetish session brew, the mouthfeel makes this a decent choice.

Overall- this is one of my favorite beers, i look forward to it every year. I might love it less if it was available year round, but drinking a few six-packs in the winter months is a blast. Perfect for Christmas parties for BA's and beer-normies alike.

3.84/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A dark brown appearance, with a large amount of head on the pour. It sticks around but does dissipate after a little while. As described via the beer's style.

Smell: a very fruity citrus smell. Smells of mango, very sweet. This smells great, i'm really excited to taste this.

Taste: a very fruity, ale taste. It does have hints of the citrus/mango taste, but it is not as sweet as it smells. Definitely something i've never had before, but i really enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: Not bad, i would drink this again.

1.9/5  rDev -46%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber body with a medium head.

Smell: The aroma is a strong combination of mostly peach with a small amount of roasted pecans.

Taste: Sweet bready taste with a light peach flavor (was expecting a fruitier taste from the aroma) and equal nutty flavor. It's just really nice balance with just a whiff of hops.
(Edit: The one that I'm enjoying 12/31/14 has a whole lot of peach flavor going on. I like it!)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable by itself or with a meal (especially chicken or pork).

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

This is the latest edition in my kegerator & have been enjoying this one throughout the holidays.
A: An amber color with a snow capped head. It is lighter than a Shiner Bock, almost a bourbon like appearance.
S: Texas peaches and a smooth malt aroma. Not alot hops but is a nice change to all those Big winter warmers around. The pecans do come out when the beer warms. A southern treat .
T: You get the peach and german malt in the taste for sure. Holiday Cheer is sweet, warm and easy to drink. Could be a hit for just the average beer drinkers.
M: Easy to drink, has a medium mouthfeel, good carbonation and a medium finish. The more you drink the more peaches and pecans come out.
D: Definitely a session beer. With food , with friends , with a bowl game or just enjoying the holidat season . The girls will love this one.
O: Thanks Shiner for spreading Holiday Cheer & a Happy New to all . Its not complexed but fun to drink. Thank you too for Mike Brawley for getting this one for me.

1.86/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Can. Murky brown amber with off white head. Smell is sweet and on thick side. Taste follows. Don't really get peaches or pecans. Just sweet bordering syrupy. Have tried this twice and couldn't finish either.

4.61/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured this in a tall slim 12oz glass. Has a very airy bubbly head too it. Almost like a soda. The mouth feel of it is kind of like that too, very carbonated. BUT, that is in no way a negative take on it. Just a bit different for a beer.

The flavor is unique and delicious. Peaches... Big peach taste. You can some what taste the pecans in it and a little spice of some sort. It definitely screams Christmas. Unfortunately is is a seasonal, but if you see a 6 pack in the store during the holidays, it is a must to try with friends of family.

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

3.67/5  rDev +4.3%

A weird and sweet beer. This is more like a dessert drink. After a big holiday meal this beer should just about seal the deal, so-to-speak, on your slumber. Take a big swig of this whilst downing copious amounts of Aunt Bessie's Triple Decker Cinnamon Plum Pudding. It will be a great compliment.

3.21/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Dark amber brown. Clear. Big carbonation. Very pretty.

S: Gummy bears/ jolly ranchers upfront. Maraschino cherries. roasted malt.

T: Cherry coke. Very very sweet. Malty. Gummy bears. Strawberry. I do not taste pecan though. Does not taste like beer...

M: Medium body and smooth with a tickle on the tongue.

O: Not my cup of tea. Too much like drinking a candy.

4.09/5  rDev +16.2%

Finally, a holiday brew that isn't the same old amber with "holiday" spices. If I want to taste pumpkin I'll eat pumpkin pie. This beer brings out the holiday spirit with peaches and pecans. A real nice combo. It's not too heavy so you will enjoy a few. Clean aftertaste. Happy holidays to you.

4.6/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case of this at the Sam's in Grapevine, TX.

I thought at first after reading the label I might be turned off by peaches. I don't know if it's the batch I bought or not, but I can't really detect any peaches in it or it could be just a great balance that I can't detect it.

It pours a great color of a deep red.

Smell is very good which reminds me of Shiner.

Taste is very good. I like this brew best out of all the Shiner beers. Very crisp with spices.

I knocked out two of these right off the bat. Very good beer.

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao.

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

This is perhaps the most unusual winter/holiday beer I've ever had the joy to drink. I am not normally a holiday beer kinda guy, but if they were all this good, I might be more inclined to try them.

Appearance: Darker than I thought it would be, with a good head that rapidly disappears. Not much for lacing.

Smell: The label says that the beer is brewed with peaches and you really can smell it! Very sweet almost sugary trait to the smell.

Taste: Peaches and pecans, thats what the beer is brewed with, and thats the taste you get. When I first tasted it I thought that someone had made a cupcake flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Not very carbonated which doesn't seem to matter as the sweet taste still has a clean finish. Maybe some carmel after tones, but thats about it.

Drinkability: Considering how sickly sweet this beer can be, you probably couldn't drink it non-stop. But that being said it is still so good that you should check it out.

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Not much head, a splash of lacing. Hazy deep reddish-amber.

Definite scent of fruit. Maybe plums? (Obviously peaches once the server suggests that... but not reminiscent of Son of Peach).

The fruit flavor almost overwhelms the beer beneath it. They don't particularly seem to complement each other. A bit less alcohol than you'd expect in a warmer.

Not horrible, but we wouldn't order it again.

3.01/5  rDev -14.5%

12oz bottle poured into a mason jar.

A: short, half-inch creamy(ish) and cream-colored head. Caramel colored and quite clear.

S: slight peach aromas that may be enhanced by the hops. on-off scent, i can't really explain, just different.

T: the pecan flavor combined with the peaches jumps at you immediately, not in a good way. the back end is total peaches. after a few sips, its not appalling.

M: a little thick as a german style, but Im probably wrong on that. Not overly carbonated.

O: At first, I absolutely hated it. The aftertaste is definitely peaches, and that isn't a terrible thing. As a recommendation, I'd say you have to have it once.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner