2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 311 | Show All Ratings:
rexbock

4.65/5  rDev +31.7%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household.

01-22-2012 06:13:30 | More by rexbock
UHRedCat

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a pint sized drinking glass.

Appearance is dark amber or brown. The smell has a slight peach flavor. The taste is where the peach sticks out the most. I could not taste the pecans that are mentioned on the bottle. The mouthfeel is slightly smooth.

A very drinkable beer and much better than I expected it to be.

11-30-2010 21:54:12 | More by UHRedCat
BWE

4.63/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured this in a tall slim 12oz glass. Has a very airy bubbly head too it. Almost like a soda. The mouth feel of it is kind of like that too, very carbonated. BUT, that is in no way a negative take on it. Just a bit different for a beer.

The flavor is unique and delicious. Peaches... Big peach taste. You can some what taste the pecans in it and a little spice of some sort. It definitely screams Christmas. Unfortunately is is a seasonal, but if you see a 6 pack in the store during the holidays, it is a must to try with friends of family.

01-07-2014 02:20:19 | More by BWE
fctoaster

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Single bottle from a create-a-six-pack of holiday/x-mas seasonals.

A- deep cranberry juice color, crystal clear. Small tan head, steady carbonation throughout.
S- Huge peach jam scent- no hops, malt, or supposed pecans.
T-Huge front of peaches, then a second wave of the pecan's nuttiness and sweetness. Also after the peaches is a slight bitter note-- not very pronounced whatsoever.
M- Light and thin. The carbonation is very subtle, not biting or crisp really.
D- Very smooth texture, but the sweetness and peach flavor are quite out of balance. Probably couldn't drink more than two at a time. Would go really well with desert however.

12-12-2008 03:46:08 | More by fctoaster
cmkendrick

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change.

12-07-2010 02:18:11 | More by cmkendrick
rjr8

4.78/5  rDev +35.4%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect.

11-26-2011 21:58:31 | More by rjr8
AMERADJUNCTPROF

Arizona

1.6/5  rDev -54.7%

I don't want to write too much, since I have wasted enough time with this beer.

It is an average beer with what tastes like a bad Jolly Rancher dropped in it. I'm not sure if you like fruity beer, but even if you do, this is just not good. I rarely leave a beer in my fridge, they eventually get drunk, but this didn't.

I only kept one because I wanted a friend of mine to taste how bad it was. He didn't mind it that much. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

05-14-2011 23:06:52 | More by AMERADJUNCTPROF
Idrinksomuch

Delaware

The perfect Christmas beer. The flavors of pecans and peaches are subtle and not over powering like that crap made with water from Lake Michigan. This is a truly sessionable Christmas beer. There is no need to put anything girly around the rim of the glass to kill the taste, it is great on it's own. I am drinking it right now!

11-08-2013 17:19:52 | More by Idrinksomuch
hookem2oo7

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I'm a big fan of any Shiner offering, and I always try the seasonal beers they release--most of the time it's just once. This is one of their better brews, and I can see myself buying many more sixers of this during the holidays. Beer looks much like their other dark offerings (Shiner Black, Dunkelweisen), smell is really peachy and fruity, nice head, good lacing. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but has good carbonation. Taste is really fruity, almost tangy, with a slight nuttiness at the end.

Great beer, one of Shiner's best in my opinion. The fruitiness was a nice surprise, would recommend this beer to anyone.

11-05-2008 03:22:58 | More by hookem2oo7
ProfessorK

Louisiana

1.85/5  rDev -47.6%

I would not bother to dis a beer just because I didn't like it but this beer crossed the line by labeling itself as a Dunkelweizen.

I was fortunate enough to live in Germany for three years. I don't claim to be an expert but Dunkelweizen was one of my top three favorite German styles and I tried it everywhere I saw it (including every example in the BJCP). This beer misses the Dunkelweizen mark in every category.

A - The color is a quite lovely ruby hue but the beer is much too clear. Dunkelweizen is traditionally unfiltered with a strong protein haze that is apparent even if you don't swirl the sediment.

S - The peach smell is pretty nice but the beer lacks all of the phenol and ester aromas that make Dunkelweizens mouthwatering.

T - I was looking forward to the peach in this beer and it was nice but a little strong, perhaps because most of the other expected flavors were missing. There is an obvious Munich component to this beer but there is little else that is found in an authentic Dunkelweizen. No banana or clove. Muted esters. No breadiness from the yeast.

M - The mouthfeel is decent but it missing the "heft" of an unfiltered wheat beer.

O - Compared to other American wheat beers and/or fruit beers I find this one to be average but I will be the first to admit that this is not my style. If Spoetzl had marked this beer as Dark American Wheat I still wouldn't like it but I would be forced to give it slightly higher marks. As it stands, the "Old World Dunkelweizen" on the box is an outright lie.

12-09-2011 01:10:45 | More by ProfessorK
goldenboi187

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This beer tastes 10x better on tap than bottle. The bottle taste reminds me of sour milk on the after taste. Have you ever tasted your own ear wax? Well after drinking this you might be able to recall that. Now, why I say ear wax??...well I tasted my ear wax numerous times out of curiosity. I wouldn't buy this beer. I'd rather bum off someone else.

12-20-2012 07:05:29 | More by goldenboi187