Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,405
3.89/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Although it's meant as a holiday drink, I can imagine drinking it in the summer also. The fruitiness is not too sweet. I can discern the caramel or dark wheat but not so much the nutty flavors in the description. Strong aftertaste on the tongue. The texture is like a light beer with a hint of bubbles. Easy to enjoy.

3.42/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Chestnut, translucent, billowing head dissipating relatively quickly to a skiff and ring.
S: Canned peaches, faint alcohol and malt.
T: Peach cobbler, sweet attack with a dry mango aftertaste. Well balanced and interesting.
M: A bit thin, slick.
D: Pretty high, might get tired of this after a few.

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into an ale glass.

Appearance: Clear, tea-brown color with a thick, creamy, lacy head with staying power.

Aroma: Bright, distinctive aroma with orange and cherry flavors

Flavor: Excellent balance of malt and hops with a clove/pepper finish

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a very pleasant lingering, hoppy finish.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. I'm having a difficult time describing the very distinctive, non-beer flavor. Maybe it's just the 'holiday' in the title, but it does have a yuletide feel.

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

L: Pours a crystal clear, ruby red color with a creamy off white head. I got a finger and a half of head (in a pint glass with a medium-aggressive pour). It stuck around for about 10 minutes.

S: Lots of forward dark, wet peaches. Very sweet, with caramel malts, with very low hop presence. Perhaps earthy? Almost smells like fruit juice, with just a hint of malt.

T: Very peach forward. I was very excited for the pecan flavor, but that didn't come through as much as I would've liked. A good dose of those caramel malts, with a very light hop presence. It's creamy initially, followed by a dry-esque peach finish that's almost reminiscent of a peach mead. I took away some points here, as the amount of peach seemed to overwhelm the beer flavors. It wasn't unpleasant, but I felt like I was drinking fruit juice.

F: Very smooth, but somewhat low carbonation. The sweetness also left a lingering sticky or syrupy feeling, which lasted about five minutes.

O: Certainly an interesting take on holiday dunkelweizen, but the peach was just too overwhelming for my tastes.

Maybe I'm crazy but I am a fan of this beer. Peaches, pecans are the prominent flavors. I love peaches so this beer has an advantage with me. One of my all time favorites.

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

I first got this beer in 2012, before I really started drinking craft beer, and I just loved it. I drank a bunch of it that season, and when it came out in 2013, I grabbed some right away, and took it back to Georgia to share with my family.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for it as much last year. It was ok, but I only got a bare hint of the peaches and pecans, it didn't seem to have the balance, and there was a slight aftertaste that I didn't care for.

So, I was really pleased with the release this year. I got a 12-pack in cans, and it's right back where I remembered it from two years ago. Nice malt base, the peaches and pecans are back with the nice balance between the sweetness and the hops. I don't know if the bottles I got last year were just an off case, but they were sealed in a cardboard box, so they should have been okay.

Anyway, get this in cans if available, and enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!

3.47/5  rDev -1.4%

the appearance was a deep red color

the smell was very very peachy pretty nice.

the taste was alot like peach coolaid and bland.

mouthfeel was decend a bit watery though.

i drank all right away cause that was about the only enjoyment i got from them

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-opaque brown with a red tint
Smells like peaches and cream
Taste- peaches and cream and caramel with medium bitterness from hops.
Mouthfeel- medium/high water content
Drinkablility- easy to drink but could probably only drink 2 or 3 in a night because of the peach.

This beer is not sweet like I thought it was going to be, which was a pleasant surprise. I would probably spend 6 bucks on a 22oz rogue style bottle, but luckily it is that price for a 6 pack. Very good deal and very good beer. The flavor is very complex and the peach/cream/caramel comes first with the hop bitterness next. Both flavors then lighten up. Also, the beer is very carbonated. Best beer that I have had from Shiner. They did a great job brewing this beer.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Being from Texas, I've tried just about every Shiner product. This beer literally tastes like Christmas. Dark amber, cream to tan .5"to 1" head. Subtle fruity flavor gives way to a sweet,caramel and "Christmas Dessert" flavor. Not too bad from a nostalgic stand point.

4.8/5  rDev +36.4%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect.

3.99/5  rDev +13.4%

Excellent holiday offering from Shiner. Made with pecans and peach, a great blend of sweet and nutty with a little touch of citrus. Very good to drink one, but all the flavors make it tough to drink more than that. The peach flavor is definitely a pretty unique one.

3.29/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I enjoy this as a good holiday beer. It tastes like Christmas. Seems it came out pretty early this year but hey, seems the holiday season starts earlier and earlier each year. Why not enjoy it with a good beer.

3.11/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance - Light brown with slight caramel hue to it. The wheat gives it good head retention. Filtered brew.

Smell - Light peach aroma with some of the wheat malt present as well. Slightly nutty aroma is also there.

Taste - Soft peach flavor with refreshing wheat malt. The nutty flavor is in the beginning of it and it finishes with a nice sweet peach. The hops give it a soft bitterness but are mostly there to support the malt profile.

Mouthfeel - Very refreshing and smooth carbonation with a light body.

Drinkability - Overall, I would have to say fairly good drinkability. I like combination of the pecan and peach flavor. It is a sweeter brew, but its a nice seasonal type variety.

4.32/5  rDev +22.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is caramel or light coffee color..with quite a bit of carbonation. Not a whole lot of head though. Nice sticky lace..almost like a watered down syrup. I can definetely smell the peach. Very good tasting. Goes down well. You gotta have one of these.

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Very clear, and christmas red. One fingers worth of off white, creamy head.

S: Smells mostly of peaches, with a slight nutty hoppiness.

T: Taste is overwhelmingly peaches, like peach juice. The hop bite is the only thing that tastes like beer. Faint nut and spice in the background.

M: Thin, a bit sticky, and plenty of carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable due to thin body, carbonation, and flavour is not very robust.

To me, this is a once a year type beer. Its unique and a great beer to enjoy during the holidays, I would not probably drink this year round, even if it were available.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a pint sized drinking glass.

Appearance is dark amber or brown. The smell has a slight peach flavor. The taste is where the peach sticks out the most. I could not taste the pecans that are mentioned on the bottle. The mouthfeel is slightly smooth.

A very drinkable beer and much better than I expected it to be.

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

4.29/5  rDev +21.9%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm.

4.62/5  rDev +31.3%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Interesting taste, with a fruity zing. Had to read about it here to figure out the fruit was peach, underlaid with pecans. The comparison to fruitcake is apt, but in a good way: doesn't taste stale or dull by any means. Enjoyed it very much last night as a complement to Texas bar-b-q at "The County Line on the Lake" in Austin.

3.81/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A friend from work gave me a couple of these beers. I like several Spoetzl products, but was skeptical of this one. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and tasty this beer was. This would be great anytime, not just the holidays.

4.58/5  rDev +30.1%

This is a great beer for its price range. For only about $1 a beer, it's absolute joy. You can't really buy a beer this good for that kind of price, so I take that into account when I'm doing this review.

As others have mentioned, it's got a good, dark amber color. Probably not a true dunkelweizen, because it's obviously filtered. That's probably my only complaint with it. Others have said it is very peach-forward, but I disagree, and admire the depth of the pecan flavor. I actually could not smell or taste the peach until the VERY thick, creamy head had dissolved, which can take quite a while, and even after it's mostly gone, there will be little islands of froth on top. After that, though, it certainly has a very fruity scent, but I don't get a really distinct peach flavor. My boyfriend found it more apricot with some prunes. To me, it's just "fruity". The lacing is GORGEOUS on this beer, and adheres to the glass for a long time. It's definitely sweet on the aftertaste, but not in a bad way, and the 22 IBU as listed on the label is spot-on correct. But overall the thing that impresses me most is the mellow, pecan-y taste. I grew up in the South and remember eating pecans by the handful, because they're practically free down there. (Not like up north, where they're an asinine $8 a pound.) You might have to be from the deep South- Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia- to pick up the subtle characteristics of pecan that are so well incorporated. I think a lack of recognition of these subtle flavors might be why so many who enjoy this beer are saying it's more peach forward. They just can't suss out pecans from the malt/ wheat/ hops, which it blends very well with. And that's okay, we all have different experiences and palettes.

If you enjoy Abita Pecan, this is even more pecan flavored than that, and I think, much tastier overall.

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Single bottle from a create-a-six-pack of holiday/x-mas seasonals.

A- deep cranberry juice color, crystal clear. Small tan head, steady carbonation throughout.
S- Huge peach jam scent- no hops, malt, or supposed pecans.
T-Huge front of peaches, then a second wave of the pecan's nuttiness and sweetness. Also after the peaches is a slight bitter note-- not very pronounced whatsoever.
M- Light and thin. The carbonation is very subtle, not biting or crisp really.
D- Very smooth texture, but the sweetness and peach flavor are quite out of balance. Probably couldn't drink more than two at a time. Would go really well with desert however.

3.84/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner