Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States | website

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Reviews: 386 | Ratings: 1,516
1.86/5  rDev -47.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Can. Murky brown amber with off white head. Smell is sweet and on thick side. Taste follows. Don't really get peaches or pecans. Just sweet bordering syrupy. Have tried this twice and couldn't finish either.

4.31/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very first impression of the taste was that it tasted like berries, but then the peach flavor became more prevalent. The color was deep bronze and the smell was similar to the taste. Low bitterness, medium thickness. Pretty good.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a reddish-tan with a hefty head which dwindles to ~1/4inch. First smells strongly of peaches, slightly nutty and then peachy lingering. Tastes similar to smell, except tastes more like a dunkelweizen beer. Does not smell all that much like beer to me. The taste is not too strong, with a slightly wheaty finish precluded by light hoppy bite. Feels a bit to fizzy, I could have gone for a slightly greater viscosity with less fizzy carbonation. Overall, a fun beer to try, but not something worth going out of your way for. Very cool bottle, though!

4.39/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance: 12oz twist top bottle with no best by or bottling date. To me From Shine. This beer pours a dark red with a tan head that reaches about one inch then starts to recede.

Smell: Peaches, and tons of them, apricots, plums, alcohol, and malts. Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste: Malts, peaches and slight alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not overly so, warmth from the alcohol. The mouth is left feeling clean.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, the best wheat beer I have ever had. This is also the best Shiner beer I have ever had. A great job and an excellent beer.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

gives me about a one finger head that disappears pretty quickly. has an appealing amber color to it, and carbonation is visible.

smells of peach nectar really...i can't pick up much else. but yes it smells pretty good.

the taste is not nearly as sweet as i would expect. a bit bitter with a sweet finish, but for sure not too sweet.

the mouthfeel is a little to carbonated for me. but other than that i don't mind it.

i would say the drinkability is easily there on this brew.

Oh i just thought i would add that i found out the ABV is 5.4

2.81/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Dark amber, and copper coloring. Slight head, but not overly so.

S: Smells of dried apricots and a slight nuttiness.

T: The rich flavor of the apricots that are brewed in are heavy on the toungue with a smooth finish that makes you want more.

M: The overall mouth feel is supurb. This probably one of my favorite holiday beers as it is full bodied, but somewhat lighter than I expected.

D: I'd rate fairly high if it wasn't so seasonally oriented.

Overall, I'd suggest this beer to any of my friends. Cheers.

3.82/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- looks medium brown, but is beautiful dark red when held up to light. Vaguely off-white head that disappears quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Lots of peach and a little bit nut.

T- Love this. Starts with loads of peach, has a very round, nutty taste in the middle, and finishes with a little citrusy-pine hops.

MF- Meh. Not bad, but a little under-carbonated to be great. If you're looking for a sweetish session brew, the mouthfeel makes this a decent choice.

Overall- this is one of my favorite beers, i look forward to it every year. I might love it less if it was available year round, but drinking a few six-packs in the winter months is a blast. Perfect for Christmas parties for BA's and beer-normies alike.

4.42/5  rDev +25.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber body with a medium head.

Smell: The aroma is a strong combination of mostly peach with a small amount of roasted pecans.

Taste: Sweet bready taste with a light peach flavor (was expecting a fruitier taste from the aroma) and equal nutty flavor. It's just really nice balance with just a whiff of hops.
(Edit: The one that I'm enjoying 12/31/14 has a whole lot of peach flavor going on. I like it!)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable by itself or with a meal (especially chicken or pork).

3.84/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A dark brown appearance, with a large amount of head on the pour. It sticks around but does dissipate after a little while. As described via the beer's style.

Smell: a very fruity citrus smell. Smells of mango, very sweet. This smells great, i'm really excited to taste this.

Taste: a very fruity, ale taste. It does have hints of the citrus/mango taste, but it is not as sweet as it smells. Definitely something i've never had before, but i really enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: Not bad, i would drink this again.

1.9/5  rDev -46.2%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

This is the latest edition in my kegerator & have been enjoying this one throughout the holidays.
A: An amber color with a snow capped head. It is lighter than a Shiner Bock, almost a bourbon like appearance.
S: Texas peaches and a smooth malt aroma. Not alot hops but is a nice change to all those Big winter warmers around. The pecans do come out when the beer warms. A southern treat .
T: You get the peach and german malt in the taste for sure. Holiday Cheer is sweet, warm and easy to drink. Could be a hit for just the average beer drinkers.
M: Easy to drink, has a medium mouthfeel, good carbonation and a medium finish. The more you drink the more peaches and pecans come out.
D: Definitely a session beer. With food , with friends , with a bowl game or just enjoying the holidat season . The girls will love this one.
O: Thanks Shiner for spreading Holiday Cheer & a Happy New to all . Its not complexed but fun to drink. Thank you too for Mike Brawley for getting this one for me.

3.09/5  rDev -12.5%

Good look and color. Has slight apple cider finish. Perhaps a little malt. Cant extract the peach from the taste like others note. I would say dunkel-ish

4.09/5  rDev +15.9%

Finally, a holiday brew that isn't the same old amber with "holiday" spices. If I want to taste pumpkin I'll eat pumpkin pie. This beer brings out the holiday spirit with peaches and pecans. A real nice combo. It's not too heavy so you will enjoy a few. Clean aftertaste. Happy holidays to you.

4.61/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured this in a tall slim 12oz glass. Has a very airy bubbly head too it. Almost like a soda. The mouth feel of it is kind of like that too, very carbonated. BUT, that is in no way a negative take on it. Just a bit different for a beer.

The flavor is unique and delicious. Peaches... Big peach taste. You can some what taste the pecans in it and a little spice of some sort. It definitely screams Christmas. Unfortunately is is a seasonal, but if you see a 6 pack in the store during the holidays, it is a must to try with friends of family.

3.92/5  rDev +11%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

Prosit!

3.67/5  rDev +4%

A weird and sweet beer. This is more like a dessert drink. After a big holiday meal this beer should just about seal the deal, so-to-speak, on your slumber. Take a big swig of this whilst downing copious amounts of Aunt Bessie's Triple Decker Cinnamon Plum Pudding. It will be a great compliment.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: Nice amber pour with a hint of red. Great lace, great thick cream colored head. Appetizing, and a good hint and what you are about to drink.

S: Scent wasn't much. Pretty dominant scent of peach, really masked anything else that could be deciphered. Maybe a hint of malt? But more like sour peaches and alcohol. Not much of a nose to this.

T: The taste blew me away. This was not what I was expecting when I read "Peaches and Pecans" for some reason. Why? Because it ACTUALLY had both of those flavors, quite dominantly, and well blended. The sweet maltiness and peach flavor hits you right up front in a sharp, sour, and sweet bite. Then it mellows into a very delightful pecan, malt, and bread flavor. The finish is like biting into a piece of warm pecan pie. A surprisingly well crafted, uniquely flavored holiday beer. Bit of a meddling aftertaste though, but overall pretty damn solid.

F: Dry up front, bit chewy and warm on the backend.

O: For the price, I'm really really impressed. It's a worthwhile holiday taste to anyone trying to get in the spirit of things. It is definitely flavored differently enough with the peaches to separate itself from the pack in terms of a unique twist on a holiday beer. Easy drink, dare I say sessionable by a warm fire on a chilly winter evening. Pair this bad boy with some pecan or pumpkin pie and enjoy a night by the fire.

3.21/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Dark amber brown. Clear. Big carbonation. Very pretty.

S: Gummy bears/ jolly ranchers upfront. Maraschino cherries. roasted malt.

T: Cherry coke. Very very sweet. Malty. Gummy bears. Strawberry. I do not taste pecan though. Does not taste like beer...

M: Medium body and smooth with a tickle on the tongue.

O: Not my cup of tea. Too much like drinking a candy.

3.89/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Although it's meant as a holiday drink, I can imagine drinking it in the summer also. The fruitiness is not too sweet. I can discern the caramel or dark wheat but not so much the nutty flavors in the description. Strong aftertaste on the tongue. The texture is like a light beer with a hint of bubbles. Easy to enjoy.

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

I always end up grabbing a 6-pack or two of this every year during Nov-Dec. Bought from HEB in College Station and poured into a pint glass. First review, new to BA, so here we go!

Look: Nice dark brown color with reddish tinge. Mostly clear. Small head with little lacing.
Smell: Peaches dominate. Sweet, and a good indicator of what's to come
Taste: Peaches, sweetness, and a comfortable hop touch that is very satisfying for this style.
Feel: Great frothy wheatbeer mouthfeel.

Overall: Well-flavored dunkelweizen with a hop touch that keeps things very interesting. Spoetzl's best offering, by far, in my opinion. Well worth multiple tries during the weeks leading up to Christmas.

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case of this at the Sam's in Grapevine, TX.

I thought at first after reading the label I might be turned off by peaches. I don't know if it's the batch I bought or not, but I can't really detect any peaches in it or it could be just a great balance that I can't detect it.

It pours a great color of a deep red.

Smell is very good which reminds me of Shiner.

Taste is very good. I like this brew best out of all the Shiner beers. Very crisp with spices.

I knocked out two of these right off the bat. Very good beer.

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao.

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%

This is perhaps the most unusual winter/holiday beer I've ever had the joy to drink. I am not normally a holiday beer kinda guy, but if they were all this good, I might be more inclined to try them.

Appearance: Darker than I thought it would be, with a good head that rapidly disappears. Not much for lacing.

Smell: The label says that the beer is brewed with peaches and you really can smell it! Very sweet almost sugary trait to the smell.

Taste: Peaches and pecans, thats what the beer is brewed with, and thats the taste you get. When I first tasted it I thought that someone had made a cupcake flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Not very carbonated which doesn't seem to matter as the sweet taste still has a clean finish. Maybe some carmel after tones, but thats about it.

Drinkability: Considering how sickly sweet this beer can be, you probably couldn't drink it non-stop. But that being said it is still so good that you should check it out.

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

L: Pours a crystal clear, ruby red color with a creamy off white head. I got a finger and a half of head (in a pint glass with a medium-aggressive pour). It stuck around for about 10 minutes.

S: Lots of forward dark, wet peaches. Very sweet, with caramel malts, with very low hop presence. Perhaps earthy? Almost smells like fruit juice, with just a hint of malt.

T: Very peach forward. I was very excited for the pecan flavor, but that didn't come through as much as I would've liked. A good dose of those caramel malts, with a very light hop presence. It's creamy initially, followed by a dry-esque peach finish that's almost reminiscent of a peach mead. I took away some points here, as the amount of peach seemed to overwhelm the beer flavors. It wasn't unpleasant, but I felt like I was drinking fruit juice.

F: Very smooth, but somewhat low carbonation. The sweetness also left a lingering sticky or syrupy feeling, which lasted about five minutes.

O: Certainly an interesting take on holiday dunkelweizen, but the peach was just too overwhelming for my tastes.

Maybe I'm crazy but I am a fan of this beer. Peaches, pecans are the prominent flavors. I love peaches so this beer has an advantage with me. One of my all time favorites.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner