Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 352 | Hads: 1,367
3.47/5  rDev -1.4%

the appearance was a deep red color

the smell was very very peachy pretty nice.

the taste was alot like peach coolaid and bland.

mouthfeel was decend a bit watery though.

i drank all right away cause that was about the only enjoyment i got from them (254 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-opaque brown with a red tint
Smells like peaches and cream
Taste- peaches and cream and caramel with medium bitterness from hops.
Mouthfeel- medium/high water content
Drinkablility- easy to drink but could probably only drink 2 or 3 in a night because of the peach.

This beer is not sweet like I thought it was going to be, which was a pleasant surprise. I would probably spend 6 bucks on a 22oz rogue style bottle, but luckily it is that price for a 6 pack. Very good deal and very good beer. The flavor is very complex and the peach/cream/caramel comes first with the hop bitterness next. Both flavors then lighten up. Also, the beer is very carbonated. Best beer that I have had from Shiner. They did a great job brewing this beer. (746 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

I first got this beer in 2012, before I really started drinking craft beer, and I just loved it. I drank a bunch of it that season, and when it came out in 2013, I grabbed some right away, and took it back to Georgia to share with my family.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for it as much last year. It was ok, but I only got a bare hint of the peaches and pecans, it didn't seem to have the balance, and there was a slight aftertaste that I didn't care for.

So, I was really pleased with the release this year. I got a 12-pack in cans, and it's right back where I remembered it from two years ago. Nice malt base, the peaches and pecans are back with the nice balance between the sweetness and the hops. I don't know if the bottles I got last year were just an off case, but they were sealed in a cardboard box, so they should have been okay.

Anyway, get this in cans if available, and enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving! (923 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Being from Texas, I've tried just about every Shiner product. This beer literally tastes like Christmas. Dark amber, cream to tan .5"to 1" head. Subtle fruity flavor gives way to a sweet,caramel and "Christmas Dessert" flavor. Not too bad from a nostalgic stand point. (268 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +13.4%

Excellent holiday offering from Shiner. Made with pecans and peach, a great blend of sweet and nutty with a little touch of citrus. Very good to drink one, but all the flavors make it tough to drink more than that. The peach flavor is definitely a pretty unique one. (266 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance - Light brown with slight caramel hue to it. The wheat gives it good head retention. Filtered brew.

Smell - Light peach aroma with some of the wheat malt present as well. Slightly nutty aroma is also there.

Taste - Soft peach flavor with refreshing wheat malt. The nutty flavor is in the beginning of it and it finishes with a nice sweet peach. The hops give it a soft bitterness but are mostly there to support the malt profile.

Mouthfeel - Very refreshing and smooth carbonation with a light body.

Drinkability - Overall, I would have to say fairly good drinkability. I like combination of the pecan and peach flavor. It is a sweeter brew, but its a nice seasonal type variety. (695 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +22.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session. (467 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is caramel or light coffee color..with quite a bit of carbonation. Not a whole lot of head though. Nice sticky lace..almost like a watered down syrup. I can definetely smell the peach. Very good tasting. Goes down well. You gotta have one of these. (258 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Very clear, and christmas red. One fingers worth of off white, creamy head.

S: Smells mostly of peaches, with a slight nutty hoppiness.

T: Taste is overwhelmingly peaches, like peach juice. The hop bite is the only thing that tastes like beer. Faint nut and spice in the background.

M: Thin, a bit sticky, and plenty of carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable due to thin body, carbonation, and flavour is not very robust.

To me, this is a once a year type beer. Its unique and a great beer to enjoy during the holidays, I would not probably drink this year round, even if it were available. (591 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a pint sized drinking glass.

Appearance is dark amber or brown. The smell has a slight peach flavor. The taste is where the peach sticks out the most. I could not taste the pecans that are mentioned on the bottle. The mouthfeel is slightly smooth.

A very drinkable beer and much better than I expected it to be. (326 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint. (484 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +21.9%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm. (397 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +31.3%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household. (917 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +36.4%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect. (828 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Interesting taste, with a fruity zing. Had to read about it here to figure out the fruit was peach, underlaid with pecans. The comparison to fruitcake is apt, but in a good way: doesn't taste stale or dull by any means. Enjoyed it very much last night as a complement to Texas bar-b-q at "The County Line on the Lake" in Austin. (328 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A friend from work gave me a couple of these beers. I like several Spoetzl products, but was skeptical of this one. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and tasty this beer was. This would be great anytime, not just the holidays. (233 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Single bottle from a create-a-six-pack of holiday/x-mas seasonals.

A- deep cranberry juice color, crystal clear. Small tan head, steady carbonation throughout.
S- Huge peach jam scent- no hops, malt, or supposed pecans.
T-Huge front of peaches, then a second wave of the pecan's nuttiness and sweetness. Also after the peaches is a slight bitter note-- not very pronounced whatsoever.
M- Light and thin. The carbonation is very subtle, not biting or crisp really.
D- Very smooth texture, but the sweetness and peach flavor are quite out of balance. Probably couldn't drink more than two at a time. Would go really well with desert however. (640 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change. (622 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%

Visual: This beer has a golden-caramel color. It's exactly what I would expect a Christmas beer to look like.

Scent: The aroma of peaches overpowers the other scents of this beer. After reading that roasted pecans play a role in this beer, only then did I noticed the pecans.

Flavor: Peaches, peaches, and more peaches. The peach flavor is really what makes this beer, but it actually is very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Easily the easiest beer to go down thus far. Even a non-beer drinker would enjoy this beer.

Overall: I was slightly hesitant to try a cheer beer, but after tasting it, it opened up a whole new range of possibilities in the future. In other words, I was pleasantly surprised, and I would recommend. I drank this beer after a cold night run while I was taking a hot shower. There's not many better feelings than that. (837 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -52.8%

I don't want to write too much, since I have wasted enough time with this beer.

It is an average beer with what tastes like a bad Jolly Rancher dropped in it. I'm not sure if you like fruity beer, but even if you do, this is just not good. I rarely leave a beer in my fridge, they eventually get drunk, but this didn't.

I only kept one because I wanted a friend of mine to taste how bad it was. He didn't mind it that much. I guess there is no accounting for taste. (468 characters)

The perfect Christmas beer. The flavors of pecans and peaches are subtle and not over powering like that crap made with water from Lake Michigan. This is a truly sessionable Christmas beer. There is no need to put anything girly around the rim of the glass to kill the taste, it is great on it's own. I am drinking it right now! (328 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Medium Amber, fragrant head fades quickly to a small swirl, smell of peach and primary taste of pecan over a medium sweet malt base. A nice holiday beer! (154 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +7.4%

I'm a big fan of any Shiner offering, and I always try the seasonal beers they release--most of the time it's just once. This is one of their better brews, and I can see myself buying many more sixers of this during the holidays. Beer looks much like their other dark offerings (Shiner Black, Dunkelweisen), smell is really peachy and fruity, nice head, good lacing. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but has good carbonation. Taste is really fruity, almost tangy, with a slight nuttiness at the end.

Great beer, one of Shiner's best in my opinion. The fruitiness was a nice surprise, would recommend this beer to anyone. (620 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -46.9%

I would not bother to dis a beer just because I didn't like it but this beer crossed the line by labeling itself as a Dunkelweizen.

I was fortunate enough to live in Germany for three years. I don't claim to be an expert but Dunkelweizen was one of my top three favorite German styles and I tried it everywhere I saw it (including every example in the BJCP). This beer misses the Dunkelweizen mark in every category.

A - The color is a quite lovely ruby hue but the beer is much too clear. Dunkelweizen is traditionally unfiltered with a strong protein haze that is apparent even if you don't swirl the sediment.

S - The peach smell is pretty nice but the beer lacks all of the phenol and ester aromas that make Dunkelweizens mouthwatering.

T - I was looking forward to the peach in this beer and it was nice but a little strong, perhaps because most of the other expected flavors were missing. There is an obvious Munich component to this beer but there is little else that is found in an authentic Dunkelweizen. No banana or clove. Muted esters. No breadiness from the yeast.

M - The mouthfeel is decent but it missing the "heft" of an unfiltered wheat beer.

O - Compared to other American wheat beers and/or fruit beers I find this one to be average but I will be the first to admit that this is not my style. If Spoetzl had marked this beer as Dark American Wheat I still wouldn't like it but I would be forced to give it slightly higher marks. As it stands, the "Old World Dunkelweizen" on the box is an outright lie. (1,530 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This beer tastes 10x better on tap than bottle. The bottle taste reminds me of sour milk on the after taste. Have you ever tasted your own ear wax? Well after drinking this you might be able to recall that. Now, why I say ear wax??...well I tasted my ear wax numerous times out of curiosity. I wouldn't buy this beer. I'd rather bum off someone else. (350 characters)

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner