Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

qubit01, May 20, 2013

A: Very clear, and christmas red. One fingers worth of off white, creamy head.

S: Smells mostly of peaches, with a slight nutty hoppiness.

T: Taste is overwhelmingly peaches, like peach juice. The hop bite is the only thing that tastes like beer. Faint nut and spice in the background.

M: Thin, a bit sticky, and plenty of carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable due to thin body, carbonation, and flavour is not very robust.

To me, this is a once a year type beer. Its unique and a great beer to enjoy during the holidays, I would not probably drink this year round, even if it were available.

johntp, Dec 31, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a pint sized drinking glass.

Appearance is dark amber or brown. The smell has a slight peach flavor. The taste is where the peach sticks out the most. I could not taste the pecans that are mentioned on the bottle. The mouthfeel is slightly smooth.

A very drinkable beer and much better than I expected it to be.

UHRedCat, Nov 30, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +2%

This beer is caramel or light coffee color..with quite a bit of carbonation. Not a whole lot of head though. Nice sticky lace..almost like a watered down syrup. I can definetely smell the peach. Very good tasting. Goes down well. You gotta have one of these.

thomasdidymus55, Dec 03, 2010

JohnCellona, Nov 18, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

airtraffic01, Jun 05, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

Nichts, Nov 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm.

capt_rob934, Mar 22, 2012

iggzy, Jan 07, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

Stephenboyter, Jan 09, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +31.7%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household.

rexbock, Jan 22, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

SatchBeer, Nov 30, 2012

MitchKeller, Apr 17, 2014

Nice and fruity. Like the label says - full of Holiday Cheer.

grg001, Sep 04, 2014

socko, Dec 15, 2011

brian48195, Dec 13, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

oliviabitting, Dec 28, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Single bottle from a create-a-six-pack of holiday/x-mas seasonals.

A- deep cranberry juice color, crystal clear. Small tan head, steady carbonation throughout.
S- Huge peach jam scent- no hops, malt, or supposed pecans.
T-Huge front of peaches, then a second wave of the pecan's nuttiness and sweetness. Also after the peaches is a slight bitter note-- not very pronounced whatsoever.
M- Light and thin. The carbonation is very subtle, not biting or crisp really.
D- Very smooth texture, but the sweetness and peach flavor are quite out of balance. Probably couldn't drink more than two at a time. Would go really well with desert however.

fctoaster, Dec 12, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change.

cmkendrick, Dec 07, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +35.4%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect.

rjr8, Nov 26, 2011