Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
airtraffic01

New Hampshire

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

06-05-2014 21:28:00 | More by airtraffic01
Nichts

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

11-20-2009 05:50:45 | More by Nichts
capt_rob934

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm.

03-22-2012 05:13:17 | More by capt_rob934

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

01-09-2013 19:27:54 | More by Stephenboyter
rexbock

4.65/5  rDev +31.7%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household.

01-22-2012 06:13:30 | More by rexbock

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

12-28-2012 11:35:51 | More by oliviabitting
fctoaster

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Single bottle from a create-a-six-pack of holiday/x-mas seasonals.

A- deep cranberry juice color, crystal clear. Small tan head, steady carbonation throughout.
S- Huge peach jam scent- no hops, malt, or supposed pecans.
T-Huge front of peaches, then a second wave of the pecan's nuttiness and sweetness. Also after the peaches is a slight bitter note-- not very pronounced whatsoever.
M- Light and thin. The carbonation is very subtle, not biting or crisp really.
D- Very smooth texture, but the sweetness and peach flavor are quite out of balance. Probably couldn't drink more than two at a time. Would go really well with desert however.

12-12-2008 03:46:08 | More by fctoaster
cmkendrick

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Auburn color with a small head that recedes quickly.

S - Peachy, peachy! And I mean it smells like real peaches. And a little bit of an earthy hop.

T - I think I'll describe it as a Shiner Bock that lost a little of its good taste and replaced it with peaches. The peach flavor kind of comes and goes for me though. One taste and I'm like "Wow that's peachy!" and the next tastes like a watered down Shiner.

F/D - Carbonated with a smooth finish. Definitely worth a try and I'll have another. I'm not sure how peaches are holiday flavors but it's an interesting change.

12-07-2010 02:18:11 | More by cmkendrick
rjr8

4.78/5  rDev +35.4%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect.

11-26-2011 21:58:31 | More by rjr8

11-28-2011 03:10:38 | More by sdmguinness
AMERADJUNCTPROF

Arizona

1.6/5  rDev -54.7%

I don't want to write too much, since I have wasted enough time with this beer.

It is an average beer with what tastes like a bad Jolly Rancher dropped in it. I'm not sure if you like fruity beer, but even if you do, this is just not good. I rarely leave a beer in my fridge, they eventually get drunk, but this didn't.

I only kept one because I wanted a friend of mine to taste how bad it was. He didn't mind it that much. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

05-14-2011 23:06:52 | More by AMERADJUNCTPROF
OutsideDream86

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

07-26-2013 05:19:01 | More by OutsideDream86
Idrinksomuch

Delaware

The perfect Christmas beer. The flavors of pecans and peaches are subtle and not over powering like that crap made with water from Lake Michigan. This is a truly sessionable Christmas beer. There is no need to put anything girly around the rim of the glass to kill the taste, it is great on it's own. I am drinking it right now!

11-08-2013 17:19:52 | More by Idrinksomuch