Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 926-950 | 951-975 | 976-1000  | next › last »

DannyPoss, Oct 07, 2013

Jame6712, Aug 26, 2014

sdmguinness, Nov 28, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -54.5%

I don't want to write too much, since I have wasted enough time with this beer.

It is an average beer with what tastes like a bad Jolly Rancher dropped in it. I'm not sure if you like fruity beer, but even if you do, this is just not good. I rarely leave a beer in my fridge, they eventually get drunk, but this didn't.

I only kept one because I wanted a friend of mine to taste how bad it was. He didn't mind it that much. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

AMERADJUNCTPROF, May 15, 2011

OutsideDream86, Jul 26, 2013

The perfect Christmas beer. The flavors of pecans and peaches are subtle and not over powering like that crap made with water from Lake Michigan. This is a truly sessionable Christmas beer. There is no need to put anything girly around the rim of the glass to kill the taste, it is great on it's own. I am drinking it right now!

Idrinksomuch, Nov 08, 2013

ANDROSMERE, Dec 19, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

SwoopMasterT, Dec 06, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +8%

I'm a big fan of any Shiner offering, and I always try the seasonal beers they release--most of the time it's just once. This is one of their better brews, and I can see myself buying many more sixers of this during the holidays. Beer looks much like their other dark offerings (Shiner Black, Dunkelweisen), smell is really peachy and fruity, nice head, good lacing. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but has good carbonation. Taste is really fruity, almost tangy, with a slight nuttiness at the end.

Great beer, one of Shiner's best in my opinion. The fruitiness was a nice surprise, would recommend this beer to anyone.

hookem2oo7, Nov 05, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

tucsonbrewer, Dec 20, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -47.4%

I would not bother to dis a beer just because I didn't like it but this beer crossed the line by labeling itself as a Dunkelweizen.

I was fortunate enough to live in Germany for three years. I don't claim to be an expert but Dunkelweizen was one of my top three favorite German styles and I tried it everywhere I saw it (including every example in the BJCP). This beer misses the Dunkelweizen mark in every category.

A - The color is a quite lovely ruby hue but the beer is much too clear. Dunkelweizen is traditionally unfiltered with a strong protein haze that is apparent even if you don't swirl the sediment.

S - The peach smell is pretty nice but the beer lacks all of the phenol and ester aromas that make Dunkelweizens mouthwatering.

T - I was looking forward to the peach in this beer and it was nice but a little strong, perhaps because most of the other expected flavors were missing. There is an obvious Munich component to this beer but there is little else that is found in an authentic Dunkelweizen. No banana or clove. Muted esters. No breadiness from the yeast.

M - The mouthfeel is decent but it missing the "heft" of an unfiltered wheat beer.

O - Compared to other American wheat beers and/or fruit beers I find this one to be average but I will be the first to admit that this is not my style. If Spoetzl had marked this beer as Dark American Wheat I still wouldn't like it but I would be forced to give it slightly higher marks. As it stands, the "Old World Dunkelweizen" on the box is an outright lie.

ProfessorK, Dec 09, 2011

Triolent, Nov 23, 2011

TKEFrat523, Dec 03, 2011

tcstew, Sep 16, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Ruggerus, Oct 03, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This beer tastes 10x better on tap than bottle. The bottle taste reminds me of sour milk on the after taste. Have you ever tasted your own ear wax? Well after drinking this you might be able to recall that. Now, why I say ear wax??...well I tasted my ear wax numerous times out of curiosity. I wouldn't buy this beer. I'd rather bum off someone else.

goldenboi187, Dec 20, 2012