Shiner 100 Commemorator - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-07-2009)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner 100 Commemorator Alström Bros
garyford

02-14-2012 23:07:44 | More by garyford
tigrstylz

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

01-20-2012 07:25:02 | More by tigrstylz
beeragent

1.95/5  rDev -45.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Pours a deep amber, forming a 1 inch off-white head. Light spots of lace cling to the glass.

S - Strong malty aroma. Not much else is detectible.

T - Strong malt presence, and not much else. This beer seems to be very lacking in flavor.

M - Medium bodied. Good carbonation and smooth finish.

D - As Shiner Bock was my first beer to ever drink, I have a fondness for the brewery. With that said, I have to say this is thee worst beer I have ever had from Shiner. This beer just reminds me of the taste you wake up with in the morning, after a long night of drinking cheap beer. Sorry. Not recommended.

01-26-2009 19:41:44 | More by beeragent
JimBird

1.98/5  rDev -44.4%

Dark transparent brown with a light head that fades into lace.
Although this was a really pretty-looking beer, it did not entice me at all with the scent and even less with the taste. It tasted like straight up molasses that had been fermented at too high a temperature with a very estery yeast that left behind something that tasted like soy sauce. On top of that, the really oily sensation I had while drinking it made me want less as I went along.

Overall, this was disappointing; I have always enjoyed Shiner's products, but lately they have gone downhill. Celebrating 100 years of great beer with a bad beer? I just don't understand...

06-03-2009 00:02:36 | More by JimBird
trojankeg

12-17-2011 03:21:26 | More by trojankeg
PatrickJR

2.03/5  rDev -43%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear brown. A finger of off white head rises and falls in soda pop fashion, leaving no lace.

S - Metallic smelling with a strange sour roastiness. Alcohol comes through as well. Unappetizing and quite far from a doppelbock.

T - A bit better than the nose leads me to believe but it's still sort of awful. Slight caramel sweetness with thin, charcoal, roasty undertones. Roastiness leads to aspirin-like bitterness with a hit of alcohol. Very strange.

M - Thin and prickly. Somewhere on the light side of medium bodied with huge carbonation. Nothing creamy, syrupy, or robust about this brew. Terrible.

D - Shiner 100 just plain tastes bad. There is NOTHING redeeming about this beer, doppelbock or otherwise. Worst Shiner brew I've had; I regret buying the six pack.

02-26-2009 03:10:50 | More by PatrickJR
umustdrink

2.38/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a clear dark orange/brown color. Offwhite head settles at a ring around the edge of the glass. Little to no lacing.

S - Burnt sugar caramel malty nose, kind of grassy and earthy.

T - Starts out with a cloying sugary sweetness, with a bitter baking soda like taste. Faint caramel malt flavor comes in and out. A sharp dandelion flavored oily bitterness hits, then dulls into the metallic finish.

M - Thin to medium consistency with slightly elevated carbonation.

D - Offputting tastes don't exactly invite you back for another sip.

Poured half of it into the drain.

02-10-2009 03:33:42 | More by umustdrink
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.45/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A dark copper colored body that borders on amber. About a finger and a half of off-white head that has some retention but not so much lacing.

Smell has that same corny smell that I would expect from a macro lager, not so promising.

That rice/corn aroma domiantes the aroma also. Next there is a touch of caramel flavor that is followed by some more corny sweetness. Finishes with a touch of cherry and some alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel is pretty light bodied with a touch of alcohol bite.

I didn't find this one to be drinkable at all. I wanted to like this beer, but it didn't work out for me.

02-03-2009 03:57:29 | More by Hojaminbag

01-17-2012 14:57:17 | More by Kahlerbock
bashiba

Iowa

2.53/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured a clear amber with a thin yet persistent off white head and lots of carbonation bubbles running throughout.

Has a very earthy and musty odor with a bit of wet sourness to it.

The flavor has a slightly sour woodyness to it with some nice earth and nut flavors along with a touch of cherry sweetness. Finishes with a long lingering musty basement like flavor.

The mouthfeel is oily and lingering with a long dry finish.

Overall a strange beer that kind of straddles the line of several styles without fully committing making it a bit of a muddled mess.

01-20-2009 02:19:12 | More by bashiba
cjgator3

12oz bottle

A- Pours a dark copper color with a light tan colored head.

S- There is not much of an aroma, it is pretty faint. The aroma is sweet caramel and malt with very little hops.

T- The taste starts out very sweet with a lot of malt and caramel. Not bad, but too sweet for my tastes.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- The ABV and the sweetness limits the drinkibility of this beer for me, not something I would really want to drink more than one of in a sitting. Not bad, but not something I would purchase again.

03-10-2009 03:19:10 | More by cjgator3
cs45977

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

NOTE My first bottle of 100 had some type of packaging problem. I am leaving my notes to the first review bellow so you can see some of my first impressions (should you care)

A - Very clear nice amber color. good head but it faded very quickly.

S - the best part of this beer. Very dough malt/yeast smell. Pleasant if that is to your liking.

T - strong malt with unbalanced sharp bitterness. The aftertaste is almost astringent

M - average but this beer is undercarbinated...

D - I don't think ll have another...

***First review ***
First thing I can think of is stale flat shiner bock....
I am really disappointed, I' ve enjoyed several of the other beers in this series but this beer is a let down

A - poured almost completely flat no head at all very few bubbles coming up my pilsner glass. Very clear nice aber color though.

t - send it back. This beer is oxidized...all I get is cardboard and some unbalanced bitterness.

m - ok its heavy like most shiner beers but this beer is flat

d - not drinkable...

Ok so I may have a bad bottle on my hands I am going to try another bottle

01-12-2009 02:43:14 | More by cs45977
AChamberlain

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

Looks nice after pour. Clear amber with an offwhite soft head. Malty sweetness in the aroma, not a lot in the nose. Ok flavor, aftertaste is pour Shiner. Sweet maltiness, which I guess is what a dopplebock is going for but this comes nowhere near Celebrator. The aftertaste is killing me, metalic. A bit thin for what I would expect from a d.bock, but smooth. Easy enough to drink, I just would not really want another one. Maybe another day. Better than their regular "bock", but not memorable.

01-15-2009 01:13:35 | More by AChamberlain
wcudwight

2.65/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark copper/amber in color with some ruby highlights when held up to the light. Nice cap of khaki foam rises to 1/2" in height then falls and holds at 1/4". Wet drippy lacing.
Caramel and metallic aromas. Not bad smelling but not very pleasing either.
The flavor starts off well. With heavy caramel flavors and bread dough. Very sweet. Par for the style. The finish kills it for me though. Sharp metallic finish that leaves a lasting metallic aftertaste. Almost copper tasting like putting a penny into your mouth.
Mouthfeel isn't bad but a bit light for the style.
I tried to cut the metallic aftertaste with a thick slice of sharp chedder but still had a hard time finishing the bottle.
I prefer the regular Shiner Bock to this. The Shiner Bock is great golf beer.

02-18-2009 02:02:07 | More by wcudwight
roblowther

2.65/5  rDev -25.6%

I'm excited about this one. I like doppelbocks but, as I type this, I notice the classification as "euro dark lager". Hmmm...I hope Shiner didn't dumb this one down. Let's find out. It is a clear dark copper with a foamy light tan head. Definitly lighter than I expected. The smell is right, though. Malt, a touch of charcoal, a sharp tang of hops. The taste is dark roast but finishes metallic. It is surpisingly dry with a slight chalkiness. The mouthfeel is all wrong. Way too thin. Decent carbonation but no real body to it. The drinkability is decent. I really wanted to like this one, but it is not as good as their black lager. I say this despite a strong preference for the style. Oh well...there's always 101.

01-29-2009 00:42:13 | More by roblowther
BryanCarey

2.7/5  rDev -24.2%

Shiner 100 Commemorator pours to a dark copper color with a nice head of foam that has a creamy consistency and makes for a promising first impression. The foam leaves almost no lacing, which was a surprise, but it does last a good amount of time. The nose on this beer is a little prune- like, with notes of toffee and raisin.

This beer offers a taste that combines caramel malt, nuts, and lightly roasted malt. There is some fruity character, with tastes such as cherry trying to make their presence known. The beer finishes a little bit metallic and also tart, with an almost wine like sensation at the end.

Shiner 100 Commemorator leans toward the watery side, and this fact is probably its greatest fault because it ruins what could have been a much stronger and more enjoyable experience. The finish is also a little weird and a little too much like wine. So, when all of the qualities have been evaluated, Shiner 100 Commemorator winds up as a very average beer- typical of most of the products offered by Shiner and not what I would expect from a beer that was supposedly brewed as a celebratory brew.

02-08-2009 04:55:47 | More by BryanCarey
vdread

2.73/5  rDev -23.3%

Shiner 100 Commemorator
bottle into glass

appearance- pours amber color with barely any head.

smell- sweet caramel. not so sweet it's sour, like most doppelbocks i've tried.

taste- way too sweet for me. all i can really taste is the sugary malt

mouthfeel- full bodied with a definate alcohol taste.

drinkability- low for me. way too sweet to drink more than one.

07-14-2009 01:24:07 | More by vdread
omnigrits

2.78/5  rDev -21.9%

Looked pretty good when I first poured it - nice colour, nice head - but the promise didn't hold up. There's an odd smell and taste to this beer that I can't put my finger on, but it reminds me of something from childhood, and not in a good way. Maybe something my mother made me eat on winter mornings to put hairs on my chest (did the trick, whatever it was). There's a cloying sweetness to the beer which is definitely not to my taste, but trying to be impartial, it's not actually a bad beer. I just don't much care for it. About halfway through the glass I'm left with something that has no life it at all. No head, no lacing, no carbonation... just that flavour that I still can't quite figure out.

01-16-2009 01:49:16 | More by omnigrits
ballewblake

2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip.

Hmm. I don't know, first impression, this is nasty. Heavy thick white head on a transparent purple body. Head falls fast, lacing is minimal. Nose is watery, and slightly malty. Boring. I get the doublebock flavors, but this is probably the most boring double bock I have tried. The taste was offensive on first inspection, it hasn't really improved on a warm up. Its looking more and more like this is a drain pour. Nasty is all that comes to mind.

At least my dogs liked it.

02-14-2009 04:36:20 | More by ballewblake
pmcadamis

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

A - Reddish chestnut brown with a big, but short lived light brown head. Almost zero lace, and even a big swirl fails to build the head back up to even a fraction of the way it looked for the first five seconds after pouring.

S - Chocolate cuppy cakes. This has some nutty notes that remind me of those nut-stuffed chocolate things that come in mixed boxes of chocolate. Gooey and nougat-y smelling, with more than a hint of nuts.

T - Similar to the nose, this is all about nuts smothered in chocolate. There is a certain candy bar that this reminds me of, but I can't recall the name! Whatever it is, it had gooey nougat white stuff on the inside and chocolate on the outside. Charleston Chew maybe? Anyhow, some hops make a minor appearance after complete absence from the nose.

M - Medium bodied and nutty with low carbonation and a heavy load of sugar. This one is almost cloying, but some nutty notes and very mild hops barely keep it from falling apart. Alcohol is VERY detectable at 6.7%. Sip slowly, as big mouthfuls really hit that "booze gag reflex."

D - Meh. This is pretty wimpy and simple for a doppelbock, despite the overloaded sugary feel. Pass.

02-22-2010 21:01:36 | More by pmcadamis
TexIndy

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but just released anniversary beer so I know it's fresh. It's a deep amber color with slight carb and no lacing. It had an average sized fizzy beige head that quickly settled into a thin collar.

The aroma was barely there. Very weak sweet malt and caramel. The taste was a little better but pretty subdued for a doppelbock. Very sweet with no hop presence. Could have used something to offset the sweet. Really doesn't taste like a doppelbock to me. The mouthfeel had way too much carbonation.

Overall, a really disappointing beer. Don't recommend. One and done for me.

02-23-2009 00:14:50 | More by TexIndy
KI9A

2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Clear, dark ruby red, not much head, no lacing.

S: Malty, somewhat sweet.

T: Roasted malts, thats about it. Slight metallic aftertaste. OK, but, not per style.

M: too thin for a dopplebock, no body. Again, not per style...

D: OK, but, this is what the Shiner bock should be like. I really expected more for a dopplebock. Not with traditional style at all. No body, no real dark fruit/heavy malt taste. Again, it's more like a bock, than a dopplebock. If it was indeed a bock, it would fit better according to style. It isn't a bad beer at all.

02-16-2009 02:55:11 | More by KI9A
thekanna

Maryland

2.95/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Nice dark brown which turns a ruby hue when held up to light. Leaves a medium tan, fluffy head with sticky lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Phenolic sweet, cloying, bready malt with hints of corainder, anise, and caramel.

T: Strong bready molasses-flavored malts; very saccharine, sticky and cloying, like drinking sugar in the process of fermenting into alcohol. Strongly phenolic aftertaste that almost makes it feel like you're drinking the beer as it's distilling into something stronger.

M: Medium body with a strong stickiness that leaves the palate coated in a bed of sugar.

D: Very filling; can be a bit too much after a few sips just because of the overwhelming sweetness. The sugary, sticky sensation on your hands after a popsicle has melted onto them is the closest I can describe this beer's sensation on the palate. I think I'll pass on the next one.

10-12-2009 02:25:59 | More by thekanna
rfabian

2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured into a tumbler is forms a small white head that leaves a little lacing. The appearance is amber and cloudy. The aroma is of strong malts or molasses. The taste is also strongly of molasses and malts with little hop bitterness. The feel is full bodied almost cloying with a sweet finish. This is a bit rich to be knocking down all evening.

11-17-2009 02:49:38 | More by rfabian