Shiner 100 Commemorator - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Doppelbock |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-07-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner 100 Commemorator Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
4.05/5  rDev +14.1%

I can't believe this brewery has been around for 100 years. Other brewers can learn a lesson from the Shiner model of business.

Poured into a barrel pint glass, the 100 Commemorator is a nice looking brew. One finger of foam rests on top of the beer and settle evenly, leaving some lace but not much. The nose is malty, with that classic Shiner yeast scent (a dull but bitter aroma you get used to if you drink enough Shiner Bocks over the years). A slightly chalky, smoky scent as well. The taste is, in my opinion, quite nice. Malted caramel, dried fruit and nuts, faint smoke. Sweet, but not overly so, with a semi-dry finish that includes a small fruit burst at the end. A tasty beer all around, and more complex in flavor than most of their others. Mouthfeel is sturdy, almost chewy, but soft. A very unexpected, but pleasant, surprise.

This is a great brew in my opinion. One of the best from the folks at Shiner. I don't really know much about the "Euro Dark Lager" style, or whether this is a true representation of it or not, but it's a solid beer that exceeds expectations. I'd love it if they made this part of their annual brewing rotation. Cheers to Shiner. Here's hoping for another 100 years.

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner.

Appearance: Pours a copper color, with amber hues. Small off-white head that leaves quickly with little lace.

Smell: Caramel malts with a bit of the standard Shiner metal smell, although this is less prevalent than usual. Smells good, but the smell is weak.

Taste: Very big, caramel malt flavor with a coffee finish. The Shiner metallic taste is completely absent- a huge plus.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a very smooth finish.

Drinkability: A very good beer, and my new favorite Shiner beer (replacing Bohemian Black). This is a good representation of the doppelbock style, and could be much less daunting to the less refined palate than German Doppelbocks.

Note: This is a doppelbock, right? I could have sworn it was, but the top says "Euro Dark Lager". It looks more like a Euro Dark, but has a definite doppelbock taste.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a traditional mug.

A: Absolutely spot on for the style. Deep, tawny reddish body, tan head, pretty good lacing on the glass as well. Looks almost identical to a Paulaner Salvator.

S: Caramel malts combined with Shiner's almost trademark like metallic like hop notes. Alcohol becomes more present as the beer warms a bit.

T&M: Caramel and some bread sweetness hits the tongue that are quickly accompanied by a somewhat seltzer like mouthfeel. Assertive metallic hop notes come through and leave a prickle on the tongue along with some faint caramel sweetness and a trace of alcohol to make for a somewhat weak finish. This brew actually has a decent amount of body, but Shiner's tingling carbonation that they seem to like to impart on a majority of their beers seems to be out of place for the style.

D&Notes: Well, let's first establish what style this beer is. It calls itself a "stark beer," which from my own research appears to mean "strong beer." I have seen other sources say this Shiner is a doppel bock. Well, while 6.7% ABV is certainly a strong beer, it's not strong enough to be classified as a double bock. That said, to be fair, this is actually a tasty beer, and I think of it as essentially an Americanized pedestrian version of a traditional German double bock. In other words, not as much body or ABV as the real thing, but still a beer with similar qualities, and this would be a good brew to introduce somebody who is wanting to give a strong beer a try for the first time.

2.78/5  rDev -21.7%

Looked pretty good when I first poured it - nice colour, nice head - but the promise didn't hold up. There's an odd smell and taste to this beer that I can't put my finger on, but it reminds me of something from childhood, and not in a good way. Maybe something my mother made me eat on winter mornings to put hairs on my chest (did the trick, whatever it was). There's a cloying sweetness to the beer which is definitely not to my taste, but trying to be impartial, it's not actually a bad beer. I just don't much care for it. About halfway through the glass I'm left with something that has no life it at all. No head, no lacing, no carbonation... just that flavour that I still can't quite figure out.

3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

Nose is very malty and a little spicy and sour. Toasty and crisp with roast. Mild hopp notions. Smells pretty good.

Pours a deep toffee brown, good clarity, mild head with milder retention. Very nice color. Probably in the range of 20-27 srm. Looks pretty good.

Impressively malty. Lots of caramel and toffee sweetness and richness. Silky sweetness. A nice dark smoothness. Some oily nuttiness and milkier-than-dark chocolate. Light spicy coolness. Mild cooked vegetable. Mild metallic notes. Full body. Mild-to-moderate bitterness throughout (espeically near finish). Tastes good. Amazing body - it's so thick and smooth. Good drinkability.

Nice. I'm glad it's good. I like 97 and 99 a lot, but 98 was not very good. I can't say that 100 is the best, but it is definitely good. I'll probably get another 6pack, maybe be able to give some away to future beer geeks. Can't wait for 101!

2.63/5  rDev -25.9%

Looks nice after pour. Clear amber with an offwhite soft head. Malty sweetness in the aroma, not a lot in the nose. Ok flavor, aftertaste is pour Shiner. Sweet maltiness, which I guess is what a dopplebock is going for but this comes nowhere near Celebrator. The aftertaste is killing me, metalic. A bit thin for what I would expect from a d.bock, but smooth. Easy enough to drink, I just would not really want another one. Maybe another day. Better than their regular "bock", but not memorable.

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%

12 oz bottle
A-shiny copper rust color with initial 2 inch head that dissipated quickly, no lacing and after a while looks kind of lifeless. Starts off grea but doesn't look so great halfway down.
S-Doughy malt, bready smell, slight earthy scent
T-A better version of shiner to me, kind of sweet bread flavor, can taste the grain character, finishes with a little hop kick that leaves an dryingastringent flavor
M-Leaves a drying feel and is undercarbonated but has a smooth feel to it
D-At first I liked this but the more I drank the less I liked it-I could drink another but really wouldn't want to.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Finally we get our hands on the Commemorator. It was priced reasonably, $6.50 for a sixer at HEB, as is usual with Shiner beers.

This beer is beautiful in my New Belgium snifter. It is dark ruby/brown and has a clumpy white head that seems to last forever. Bubbles rise up from all over the glass.

The smell is all sweet malt. It is mostly toffee-like.

The flavor starts off with hop bitterness, which subsides into some slight coffee and nutty flavors. There is an unpleasant bitter aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is excellent. Nice body with a smooth finish.

This is definitely a brew that I could down a few of. The brewers at Shiner value drinkability over almost everything else. Sometimes this detracts from their brews, which tend to lack flavor and character compared to other craft breweries. This beer is in line with that tradition, but a bit of an upgrade from the others in this series.

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%

A - Pours up a dark amber with ruby highlights and a dense off white head that lingers a long time, fading to a cap of bubbles on top of the beer.

S - Very faint smell of caramel malts

T - Malty beer with caramel notes with light hint of hops.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation

D - Not bad, though it tastes more like a Shiner Bock with roasted malt than a dopplebock. It's easy to drink a couple of these.

2.63/5  rDev -25.9%

NOTE My first bottle of 100 had some type of packaging problem. I am leaving my notes to the first review bellow so you can see some of my first impressions (should you care)

A - Very clear nice amber color. good head but it faded very quickly.

S - the best part of this beer. Very dough malt/yeast smell. Pleasant if that is to your liking.

T - strong malt with unbalanced sharp bitterness. The aftertaste is almost astringent

M - average but this beer is undercarbinated...

D - I don't think ll have another...

***First review ***
First thing I can think of is stale flat shiner bock....
I am really disappointed, I' ve enjoyed several of the other beers in this series but this beer is a let down

A - poured almost completely flat no head at all very few bubbles coming up my pilsner glass. Very clear nice aber color though.

t - send it back. This beer is oxidized...all I get is cardboard and some unbalanced bitterness.

m - ok its heavy like most shiner beers but this beer is flat

d - not drinkable...

Ok so I may have a bad bottle on my hands I am going to try another bottle

3.4/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice 1 finger tan head. Beer is a clear dark brown. Medium carbonation with minimal head retention and lacing

Smell is of sweet caramel malts, very faint alcohol, not much else

Taste is syrupy, sweet malts with a bit of dried fruit somewhere in there. Barely any hop taste at all and a slight alcohol after taste.

Beer is over carbonated. Has a nice silky consistency going down that makes up for it though

Overall this beer is good. Somewhat simple though, was hoping for more flavors. Hoped for more for Shiners 100 year anniversary beer but its still a good beer, highly drinkable

3.43/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Pours a dark amber red. Clear with a large beige head that forms. Leaves some patchy lace.
S: A touch of caramel and roasted malt. An annoying grainy, metallic, musky aroma the detracts for me.
T: Toasted caramel malts dominate. An odd sweet grainy and metallic flavor. Maybe some dark fruits. There is a nice depth of flavor here, just not quite to my taste. This becomes almost cloyingly sweet as it warms up.
M/D: A medium body that is just a bit on the watery side. Well carbonated for my tastes. Easy to drink for nearly 7% ABV. Smooth and something I can session.

Not bad at all. Though the nose does nothing for me, and a bit too sweet for my liking. I will say it is a well crafted beer for Spoetz's 100th anniversary.

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%

this brew pours up a dark red-amber color with a small tan head. decent lacing. the nose is sweet dark malts, subtle dark fruits, plum, black cherries, a lil alcohol warmth, subtle crisp hops. drinkin this at about room temperature, I taste dark malts, dry cocoa powder, nuts (cant quite put my finger on which kind though), maybe walnuts, subtle earthy taste. Medium bodied, low spritzy carbo.

Well for Shiner's 100th Anniversary brew, I would expect nothin better than this. Tastes like a Doppelbock to me but whatev'.

4.28/5  rDev +20.6%

SECOND REVIEW!!!!

A- Nice dark red-brown transparent body with an OK head and no lace/retention. Weakest aspect of this beer

S- Smell is of caramelized malts. Sweet and grainy

T- WOW! greatest tasting Shiner brew I've had so far(besides the Bohemian Black, which is unbelievable). Butt-loads of sweet, grainy malt and hints of spicy, floral, noble hops.

M- Alike most Shiners but with more of a chewy body. Medium body with thin, prickly carbonation

D- I couldn't tell it was elevated ABV% Could you?

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

FIRST REVIEW!!!!

Pours out red with a good size white head. Minimal lacing on the head that disapates quickly.

Smells alot like a Pilsner, with a very strong hop smell. A little metallic also.

Taste has a hint of carmel, with a hop finish, and the "patented" shiner metallic aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is probably the best part, very smooth with nice amount of carbonation. Leaves your mouth wanting more.

Shiner has out done themselves, FINALLY. This is a very fitting 100th Anniversary beer for the little brewery. This is one of there best efforts yet.

« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »