Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Shiner Kosmos Reserve - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner Kosmos ReserveShiner Kosmos Reserve

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.98% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-23-2009

1.28/5  rDev -61.4%

what an absolute insult to Kosmos, but seeing as the Spoetzl family let this get out to the public, fuck 'em.. Please Lord, if you are there, please strike down Spoetzl brewery into dust, and forever blank the worlds mind of this crap they call beer, from Bock to Leight to this garbage.. words aren't enough, pure shit .. . pours a tawny tan, with almost no head after a minute .. . ever smelled a metal malt extract can that expired in 1994, then you know what this smells off.. . does have a decent mouth, as in it doesn't linger too long, but horribly muddled with an odd metallic backbone bitterness, and a wrong expired maple syrup flavour, maybe some moldy hops ..maybe...

.. pretty much offensive to all my senses...

1.96/5  rDev -41%

Drank this with a snifter a Pilsner glass would have been better but I was expecting more hop character

A - It's defined as an American Pale Lager but if you see it poured you don't get any of those characteristics. It's a copper colored pour with zero carbonation and almost no head or lacing at all much like the Shiner Ruby Redbird.

S - The nose is a weak/sweet honey or some sort of wheat malt I tried swirling it and I got a bit more of the same but still very weak.

T - The taste is very mild and doesn't really have a recognizable characteristic at all it's just a bit hoppy but its like eating a piece of white bread and trying to describe the taste lots of confectionary yeast flavors but its all melds together and provides nothing unique in terms of flavor.

M - Very sharp and clean tasting with some effervescence and bite.

O - I do not like the style I think its boring and flat. If you like Budweiser I would say try this I am pretty indifferent to this and wont be seeking this out again. The problem here is with all of the awesome stuff being done in craft brewing why is Shiner trying to make an average tasting beer without any characteristics at all? I am not even remotely ready to give up on this brewery they just need to retire this stuff though its been done a million times before.

2.11/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance: Dark yellow and gold; lively carbonation; initial 1.5 finger head that quickly dropped to one finger, no lacing or rings.

Smell: Earthy, light malt, no noticeable hop aroma except for a very, very slight fruitiness.

Taste: pretty bland; a light roasted, biscuit-like flavor. Bitterness is pretty well hidden, too - didn't notice it until way after swallowing and it seemed mixed with some sort of metallic off-taste.

Mouthfeel: okay - light to medium body

Overall: can't find much difference between this 'hop jacked lager' compared to other main stream consumer beers like Budweiser or Miller High Life. Drinkable in a pinch, but not for someone looking for a more distinctive hoppy and/or malt flavored craft beer. Great example of a below average beer!

2.14/5  rDev -35.5%

Initial impression from the pour does not impress, as there is not much aroma and little head retention. The first sip reminds me a bit of Sam Adams Boston Lager, but that quickly fades as the long malty finish disappoints. There is a touch of sweetness to this medium bodied clear amber lager, but it leaves me wanting for more. While it may be a better alternative to the mass market lagers, I'll not pursue it again.

2.15/5  rDev -35.2%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pilsner glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a transparent golden/orange color. The head is 1.5 fingers and dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S - Pale malt, indistinct hops, stale adjunct and honey. Mild and uninteresting.

T - Cloying sweet pale malt, and an obtrusive bitter finish. Muddy simple, and not really very good. Poorly built. Entirely too simple.

M - Light and crisp. Probably ideal, for the style (if you can call it that).

D - It's drinkable and definitely sessionable, but really simple and boring. Don't waste your time.

2.17/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

While the majority of my experience with Shiner’s mixed 6-pack was lack-luster, the Kosmos Pale Lager was the epitome of bland. Long story short, its malty taste made it easy to drink, but it lacked any real depth or strong flavor profiles. It simply didn’t stand out.

2.22/5  rDev -33.1%

A: Pours a clear copper color. A minimal white head forms and leaves no lace.
S: Sweet malt at first. Some very faint hop bitterness. Metallic and copper. Blah.
T: I can't really pick anything out. A very faint sweetness and hop bitterness.
M/D: A light body, over carbonated, watery, and thin. Easy enough to drink for a light lager.

This beer is the only reason why I bought the Shiner Family mixed packed. After trying it, I am disappointed. I can't really make anything out in the nose or flavor. Just bland. I am sorry Kosmos Spoetzl, this is a disservice to you.

2.26/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with typical label art and a branded twist-off pressure cap acquired as part of a Shiner mixed twelve-pack at an HEB Grocery here in Austin and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery.

Brewed with Czech Saaz hops, candi sugar, and Belgian yeast. Best before: 01/26/14.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Reviewed as an American Pale Lager per its identification on Spoetzl's wikipedia; their own site is crap.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a 2.5 finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin. Lacks appealing creaminess. No lacing as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about two minutes.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Has a rather generic floral hop presence. Pale malts. Pilsner malts. A kiss of crackery malts. Grainy. Some caramalt. Clean and simple.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. A generally appealing aroma of average strength, with some surprising spiciness.

T: Body is primarily grainy, with some caramalt and crackery malts lending a bit more complexity. Pale malts and pilsner malts fill out the body. Has a generic floral hop character that doesn't do much for it. "Hop-jacked"? Nah. Painfully simple. No yeast character or alcohol comes through, the the hop notes are rather tame. Even the balance isn't all that great. A bland, boring lager overall.

Not gestalt. Zero depth of flavour. Below average duration and intensity of flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Light, weak, and thin. Not full-bodied. Overcarbonated. Artificial; even a touch syrupy. Somehow, it's also a bit watery at the same time. Doesn't suit the flavour profile well really at all.

Dr: A disappointing offering from Spoetzl. I do have to compliment them on their marketing; the whole "Reserve" shtick coupled with the clever "Hop-jacked" description will sucker many into buying it. At the end of the day, it's a bland lager that isn't worth trying. I definitely won't be getting it again, but I suppose it's drinkable enough.

High D

2.28/5  rDev -31.3%

A: The beer poured a nice medium amber, clear with no sediment.

S: This beer has a very pleasant smell, lightness and earthy

T: completely jacked up with hops, distastefully so. I couldn't taste any notes over the insane amount of hops.

O: I did not enjoy this beer, Way too much hops that takes over any flavour profile that may be present, distracting. Will not be purchasing again.

2.35/5  rDev -29.2%

Got this from a place that carries singles.

I've had and enjoy a Shine Bock on occasion but this beer just isn't my style.

It was poured into a 16oz beer glass, a honey color clear with a finger of head that died and continued to bubble from the bottom.

It had a grainy/tinny smell like a tin can. The taste was a little metalic as well but crisp and light.

The mouth can feel the light carbonation and watery feel. Ok, but too light for me not my cup of tea at all.

2.43/5  rDev -26.8%

I tried this as part of a Shiner sampler. I have to say I love Shiner Bock as a session beer, but this was something unexpected...Appearance was a straw yellow, with little carbonation. Smell was strange, like a lemongrass soup? Taste followed the smell, light and citrus, some hops. Mouthfeel was average...not terribly overpowering but underimpressive. drinkability alright, not my favorite but not awful.

2.45/5  rDev -26.2%

Can only get as part of Shiner Family Reunion 6 pack. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but it's new so it's fresh. It was a clear, light copper color. Decent carbonation but no lacing. It had a small fizzy off-white head that was pretty much gone but the time I was done pouring.

The aroma was weak. Malty, grassy with some hops. Had a strong resemblance to a pilsener aroma. The taste was barely there. Very watery until right at the last second you get a bit of flavor and then it fades just as quick. Switch this with a Miller Lite while I'm drinking it and I probably wouldn't notice - it's that bland. Mouthfeel was good with good carb level.

Overall, a major disappointment. I never had this when it was around a long time ago and had been reading posts about how great it used to be so was eagerly awaiting it's release. Was hoping to find a Shiner that I like these days. Either they changed the formula or I'm missing something. Very bland and flavorless. Don't recommend. Just reviewed 5 of the 6 beers in the 6 pack (I'd reviewed the 6th a couple years ago) and all were bland and not worth having again. I used to love Shiner when I first moved here about 15 years ago but I find them now to be middling. Shame but time to move on.

2.46/5  rDev -25.9%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Acquired as part of the the Shiner family reunion mixed twelve pack. Expectations are about average, given the brewery.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a clear golden amber colored body with some bubbles lazily floating topside. About a finger and a half of soft white foam for a head. Maybe just a touch of sediment in there also.

S - The nose is virtually nonexistent. Some stale dusty apples, pilsner malt, amber malt, and some honeyed graham cracker. A pretty weak and pitiful smelling beer.

T - Taste follows the nose: stale dusty apples, coiny metallics, dry grains, some white sugar, and amber malt. This beer definitely suffers from a poor depth of flavor.

M - Feel is quick and clean. Finishes malty with some sticky green apple lingering. Medium bodied with a tad too much carbonation.

Overall, I'm sad to say this is another less than mediocre offering from Spoetzl Brewery. Probably the worst beer I've tried from these guys yet. Bland, nearly flavorless, & definitely not hop forward at all. Not recommended.

Shiner Kosmos Reserve ---2.5/5

2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

Pours a mild brown/blonde with one-finger head into my glass. I see that it appears to be a retro take on the Shiner brand.

Sweet with caramel on the nose. Label says "hop-jacked" but I cannot discern hops here.

Lots of malt upfront. It's grainy, lightly sweet and does give way to a touch of hops. Otherwise, pretty average.

Ditto for the mouthfeel. Is it a Shiner trademark, this near-cloying sweet finish?

I'll pass.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Shiner Kosmos Reserve

Pours ½ finger of white head. Color is a clear golden orange. Active carbonation in the glass.

Aroma: Orange citrus, pale malts, earthy hops. This one has a bit more flavors than the other Shiners I have had.

Taste: Orange citrus again, pale bready malts, grassy earthy hops with a slight floral bite.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and dry with a touch of bitterness. Light to medium bodied with a medium to high amount of carbonation. Ends sticky.

Overall, better than the first 2 shiners I had, but nothing really special. Guessing this one is a pale lager or something of the sort. Somewhat drinkable.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is an orange-yellow and relatively transparent. Fairly weak smelling, with a notable absence of hops (for a dry hopped beer). Tastes like a fairly standard lager with a bit of hops that come through near the end. Feels fine in the mouth- just an ok beer.

2.54/5  rDev -23.5%

A - A medium-dark yellow. Honestly if it were side-by-side with a pint of urine I wouldn't trust myself to tell the difference visually. Slight white head which didn't leave much lacing. Looks like a lager.

S - Smells like not much of anything. A touch malty, but the lack of smell makes me think that it will be watery.

T - Plain lager flavor for the most part, a slight hint of hops, but not very flavorful.

M - Smooth and clean up front with a dry carbonation finish, a little bit of a bite on the back of the tongue and throat due to the dryness and carbonation combo. Little aftertaste/post-mouthfeel.

O - This beer is alright, but a bit bland. There is nothing that inspires me about this. It says on the bottle "hop-jacked lager" and it doesn't taste very hoppy. If it's not hoppy, I'm not hoppy.

2.55/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A. Gold tinted yellow in color, transparent without murk or haze. No head is present, just a transitory burst of soda fizz.

S. Cooked vegetables (mostly corn) and wet hay on top of a very very very faint biscuit malt scent.

T. Gentle earthen-tinted diluted biscuit malt with an annoying metallic aftertaste that lasts for entirely way too long.

M. Carbonation is... slightly too soda-like for the style. It's entirely possible that the overly-fizzy nature of the carbonation combined with the lighter body is the culprit responsible for my lack of a significant head on presentation.

I don't understand why this beer is called "Reserve" when usually that signifies that the beer is the brewery's cream of the crop. In this case, the beer is entirely bland and forgettable, so why is it considered to be their "Reserve?"

2.6/5  rDev -21.7%

I picked this one up in the Shiner "Family Reunion" six-pack. The name stuck out to me, and I read that it was named after the founding brewer. My expectations may have been set a bit high.

Out of the bottle, I poured it into a glass to get a good look. The beer held a good pale gold color, but the lacking white head was a little sad. Nothing really clings to the glass, either.

A small amount of malt sweetness mixes with a poor mention of hops. Unfortunately there isn't much aroma to speak of, and it's got some sour metallic qualities. It doesn't quite make you excited to take a swig.

The taste is so non-unique that I could mistake it for a hundred other common beers. Toasty malt is supported by pretty light hops. It settles in the background with a nice reminder of bready malt well after the initial crispness subsides. Though not bad, this isn't really the taste I would go to much length for.

The feel is a little brighter than I like, but I guess it typifies a lager. Fairly clean, but some decent activity in the middle of the drink.

This beer is quite easy to drink. I could see myself having one after another without batting an eye, but it just isn't the beer I would rather spend my time on drinking.

2.65/5  rDev -20.2%

A - Pours out a clear copper color with an off-white head. Retention is moderate and there is just a bit of lacing. Carbonation seems low.

S - Pungent, bitter pine, bitter grapefuit. Corn meal.

T - Very sweet. Its actually a corn like sweetness. Kinda syrupy.

M - Medium bodied with almost no carbonation. Syrup like feel. eh.

O - Not as good as the first time I tried it. Again all I have is one bottle so no worries. Not a drain poor but almost.

2.71/5  rDev -18.4%

3rd beer out of the shiner mixed six and I'm trying hard to enjoy them.

Appearance-Light copper with a 1 inch head that dissipates quickly. Leaves very minimal lacing.

Smell-Slight biscuity notes and slight grassiness and malt. Standard Shiner beer, not much going on.

Taste-Light malty sweetness and a slight amount of grassiness. The more I drink this I get some slight hops and a white grape taste. All the flavors are not predominant but drinkable. Enough flavors going on that there won't be a drainpour.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied with tons of carbonation, alot of burping going on.

Overall-Drinkable, but wouldn't reccommend this beer. If you want an easy drinkable light beer with little flavor go for it, if not, pass on it and grab something else.

2.71/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Pours a very clear gold with a small white head that dissipates immediately leaving a thin white ring of foam around the center that stays til' the last drop.

S: Smells like lots of beady malt, corn, and a little bit of citrus hops.

T: Light with Malt and corn upfront with a little bit of hop bitterness at the end. It starts up decent but then becomes very light at the end of the sip.

M: Smooth yet watery with a lot of prickly carbonation.

D: Easy drinking and probably quite refreshing on a hot day. Although I can't see myself buying this again or any of Spoetzl's other offerings, I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered. This beer came in the Family Six Pack.

2.75/5  rDev -17.2%

this brew pours up a clear copper color with a decent off white head. the nose is grainy, pale malts, nothing crazy. the taste is the same as the aroma. kinda buttery mouthfeel, slight hop bittering, light bodied, low carbo. Damn I wish that the Spoetzl Brewery would just make one intense beer! But if we're just comparing beers within the brewery, I'd say this one is not one of their better offerings...

2.79/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured 12oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance light amber, thin foamy head

Smell was fairly straightforward malty, I got a little oaky/oatmeally and grassy hint

Found this to be a smooth, easily drinkable beer for a hoppy lager, but overall no real depth of flavor.

Didn't enjoy as much as other Shiners, but good back-story and overall worth a try.

2.79/5  rDev -16%

A - Pours a pilsner yellow amber. Forms one finger of head that dissipates down to a steady half finger, has nice whispy lacing.
S - Sweetness, hops, has a kind of IPA aroma to it, perhaps caramel in the background and some citrus.
T - Mild alcohol and sweetness, tastes like 1 part IPA and 3 parts pilsner, basically an INCREDIBLY light IPA taste, not too in depth in flavor, but definitely easy drinking, thirst quenching and quite sessionable.
O - A decent beer.
V - I have to give it a horrible rating for value as, this beer is a special reserve item and as such you can nowadays only find this in the Shiner family variety pack, and you only get one when you buy it. Worth a try though.

Shiner Kosmos Reserve from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner