Shiner Smokehaus - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Helles-style lager made with Texas mesquite wood-smoked pale malts. 16 IBU
to view more.
Ratings: 250 | Reviews: 153
4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

OHHHHH, I MISS THIS BEER! This was Texas all the way. Smooth and smoky. Perfect for summer cook outs or autumn nights by an open fire. I drool thinking of it. Original and fantastic in every way for my taste buds. SHINER - PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!! I will buy all your inventory.

4.12/5  rDev +28.8%

I think that optimator17 sent this to me for a Smoked Beer Night that did not come off. Today, I am having a smoked turkey breast with my uncle and this seemed an appropriate time to break out some smoked beer. Merry Christmas, everybody!

From the bottle: "The Perfect Sommer Bier"; "Good for grillin' and for chillin'"; "Every Drop of Shiner Is Brewed in Shiner"; "Mesquite Smoked Beer, Helles Style"; "It's Smokin' Good"; "Smoked to Perfection - Brewed with pale malt that's been smoked with native mesquite in the backyard of our little brewery in Shiner, Texas (pop. 2,070), this refreshing Helles-style beer has a smoky flavor that goes great with all the flavors of summer. Prosit!"; From our backyard to yours."

I used an aggro pour to create two fingers of fluffy bone-white head with good retention. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity that would have led to a fistfight between Croesus and King Midas. Nose had a beautiful lager sweetness with a light, underlying smokiness. Oooh. Christmas dinner was perfect for this! Mouthfeel was much fuller than I would have expected from the style and the smokiness was very pleasant. I wonder if it was smokier in its youth, but regardless, it was a perfect accompaniment to smoked turkey.

2.96/5  rDev -7.5%

Picked up a 12-pack to drink while grilling. About as expected. Maybe a little better.

A: Drank right from the bottle. The bottle looks cool and sort of retro.
S: The smell is not overpowering.
T: Taste is light and refreshing
M: Highly carbonated gives it a rough taste that is a welcomed blast on a hot Texas weekend afternoon.

Overall a pretty good beer for good times outdoors.

1.39/5  rDev -56.6%

As a fan of smoked beer I was super excited for this. Unfortunately this was quite possibly the worst beer I have ever consumed, comparable only to the PB & J Ale by Short's in offensively bad beers. Smokehaus smelled rather like pork rinds.
But the real winner is the smoked salt pork flavour. I could see this beer being awesome to make chili with or like sloppy joe's but as a drink ... I am at a loss for words.

3.41/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is rather mild, some malts. Taste is good, smokeyness up front, malty at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall was a different and fairly enjoyable beer.

3.84/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

It took me a long time, but I was finally able to locate a single bottle o' this (I like to test 'em out before investing in a full sixer or more). It pours a clear brass topped by a finger of lightly dirty foam. The nose is dominated by a barbecue-alluding hickory smoke flavor. It's not necessarily intense, in fact it's quite nice; but it does indeed cover up anything and everything else, though a minute strain of wheat manages to get but a single word in edgewise. Frankly, I really enjoy this smell. The taste, unfortunately, dumbs down the smoke, leaving it not only weaker but meeker as well. The aforementioned wheat comes through this time, along with a vague sweetness that further cuts the smokiness. Now, the smoke does shine through in the finish, but it's now more of a dull, black smoke, with none of the barbecue-like hickory character that made me smile while sniffing. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a haltingly dry finish (that follows an otherwise wet one). Overall, though I wasn't blown away by this brew, I could easily see drinking several if given the chance.

3.78/5  rDev +18.1%

Aroma: A big punch in the face by mesquite smoke.

Appearance: Pours one finger thick white head. Good lacing. Golden yellow color. Very clear.

Flavor: Lots of mesquite smoke. Nice malty backbone. A trace of herbal hops under the smoke. It doesn't have the bacon flavor of a rauchbier or a peat character.

Mouthfeel: Dry and crisp. I've had this bottle for awhile and it has held up good. Alcohol not noticeable.

Overall: Reminds me of sitting around the campfire. I would like to see the smoke more restrained to let the delicate flavors of a Helles shine through. I would drink this over most rauchbiers I've had. A good treat when wanting something different. I would like to pair this with some bbq.

3.74/5  rDev +16.9%

The first thing that surprised me about Shiner Smokehaus was the color. Every smoked beer I've had before this was dark brown or black, but this is as light as crisp as any macrobrew. Perhaps a shade more orange than yellow. But the smoke aroma is certainly there. The taste is pretty good, too. Starts out sweet, a little bit of hops, then that mesquite smokey flavor. Almost like liquid BBQ chips. This isn't one I'd go for often, but at just under 5% ABV, the crisp texture, and easy drinkability, it's perfect for a day of grilling!

3.95/5  rDev +23.4%

I got this as part of an 8 pack set called "Beers Around the World". 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date, only a blurb on the back label that tells you that the beer is brewed with smoked Texas mesquite wood.

The beer poured a clear bright amber color that made a 1½ finger white head. Retention was decent and so was the lacing it left on the glass.

This actually smells more malty sweet than smokey, but the smoke is definitely there. It almost like you're standing in front of the deli case in the supermarket with the bakery just a few feet away.

It's a nice mix of pale malt sweetness with a touch of smokiness. The smoke flavor is on the subtle side and I think that was a good choice by the brewmaster. With an IBU of just 16, there isn't much hop presence to speak of, but there does seem to be a bit of spiciness working with the mesquite smoke to keep the maltiness in check.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with only moderate carbonation which works well with this style.

With an abv of under 5%, this stuff is easy to down. I'd have another one but there was oinly one of these in the gift pack.

3.95/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours a deep banana yellow color with a thick off white head and a fair amount of lacing. Smells of smoke, fallen leaves, and a little bit of yeast. Tastes fairly malty with some well balanced hops to even it out. Smoke is very apparent and the mesquite is very nice. A very dry finish and aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium with a very light carbonation. Drinkability is very high.

4.1/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured into a pint
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger of white head with great retention. Crystal clear pale gold liquid.
S: Slight smoke over nice breadiness and herbal hop. Great marriage!
T: Smoke is pronounced but restrained. Bready in a white sandwich bread way. Slight metallic. Well balanced hopping. All flavors work together well. I wish it ahd slightly more hop character.
M: A bit fizzy, a bit thin, and otherwise pleasant.
D: "The Perfect Sommer Bier" Not quite, but pretty good. I'd order a second and probably buy a six pack.

2.88/5  rDev -10%

Well, I'm on a roll, so I've pulled this one out of the back of the fridge, rec'd as an extra from TexasStout this summer. It ain't summer here no more, Tex, forecast calls for 5-11 inches of snow in the next 24 hours. Sledding time!

Pours tranquilizer yellow with just enough carbonation that I'm pretty sure I could count the individual bubbles. Smell is like burning leaves in the fall, or the fat burning in a charcoal grill. No beer in there at all!

Smokehaus is surprisingly tasty; I'm 100% sure I've never actually tasted mesquite in liquid form in the past. It puts the balance of the beer in the lip-lock it won't surrender. Scared, wan malts make their presence known only through sign language. This is a campfire, bottled, capped. I doubt the sanity of anyone who tastes hops or anything else in here. The beer's downfall is drinkability. Twelve whole ounces? Could have happily ticked this one in three or four. While I'm enjoying it, the inside of my mouth is already like a charnel house, I fear my palate is wrecked for the night. After a few enjoyable sips, my happiness falls like a large rock off a high cliff.

Pretty good beer; but I fear I've met my match in extremes. The mesquite lends it a novel, interesting angle that's surprisingly accessible. If I were Shiner, I'd look towards Rogue's 7 oz. bottles to sell this in. Much more appropriate serving size.

3.06/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Pours a clear, bright golden-amber color. The tall, off-white head has a relatively thick, foamy texture. Retention is strong, and an impressive lattice of lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Definitely smoky, but not in an overly out of place fashion. Unobtrusive pale malt lies underneath it, contributing a mild sweet aroma. Simple.

T: Light pale maltiness, with very light sweetness. Smoky and perceptibly salty, although my tongue could be playing tricks on me in terms of the latter. A mild herbal hop bite at the very end brings some focus.

M: A shade lighter than medium bodied. Carbonation is assertive, lending a nice crispness that leads into a dry finish.

D: This isn't bad at all. In fact, I think it's basically as much as could have been expected from Shiner. I even enjoyed this beer a bit. But it has little replay value after the first try or two. Maybe the style is just not my cup of smoke, but this was more of a novelty to me than anything else.

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

Poured a very pale honey color with a 1/4" head that quickly disappeared.
Couldn't smell as much smoke as I had anticipated, not much smell at all.I picked up more malt and hops than smoke.
Nice carbonation
Very nice smokey taste, much better than I expected. I was hoping that this wouldn't be over-the-top, just right.
This would go very well with any meat, especially if it was from the grill

3.73/5  rDev +16.6%

WOW! Shiner comes through again. Based on the recommendation of a friend, I picked up a six pack of this one (6 bucks!) and enjoyed every one. Poured a medium gold color, with a diminishing white head. Huge smokey aromas, like those found at a BBQ (mesquite is a nice change). Light bodied, well carbonated and highly drinkable, with a lot of smoke, a light sweetness and a great label (not really relevant, but I did like it). Great with grilling.

3.32/5  rDev +3.7%

Picked thisone up with the grill in mind.

Pours a golden orange tint with a white, tan hinting head. Head maintains awhile to lace alittle.

Aroma of bread, malts and yep,smoke.

Taste is bready malt with a good smoked undertone. alittle burnt toast like on the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is ok. One by the grill for me.
A good cooking brew and does well with BBQ.

3.35/5  rDev +4.7%

It had a straw colored body with some nice carbonation. The head and lace were both average and white. The aroma was mildly smoky but smelled more of hops and malt. The taste reminds me of a barbequed cracker. There are some great hop and malt flavors with all kidding aside. Not bad I wish I would have drunk it with some food. The mouthfeel was about average.

2.94/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz to glass mug. Super carbonated, tons of bubbles w long lasting white head. Very sticky, leaving tons of lacing. The remaining head is so tight, like you could float a quarter on it.

Aroma is like a smoked lager, smokey yet grainy. Reminds of bbq in a glass.

Flavor is more like a macro lager than rauchbier. After tastes of the BMCs of the world. Smoke is down played, making for a more sessionable beer. Corn?

Mouthfeel is creamy and lingering in a beer that would benefit from being crisp from start to finish.

Overall a fair delivery. Eye candy for sure... Could use help in other areas.

3.13/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a slight orange tint and a white head. The aroma is biscuit malt and quite a bit of smoke. The flavor is a lot of biscuit and bready malt, but there is a strong meaty BBQ smoke flavor in there as well. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Not a great drinking beer, but this has enough smoke that it works great when cooking. Add it to the broth in a slow cooker and it imparts great flavor to the meat.

3.65/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a mug.

Appearance: light golden hue with a crystal-clear body and a goodly amount of apparent effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy white foam which doesn't have great retention, but is OK. Not too bad.

Smell: light malt aroma with a little bit of smoke. The bottle says mesquite, but I'm not enough of a connoisseur to tell. What I can say is that the smoke isn't so strong as to block out all malt aroma; really, I kind of like the understatement of the smoke (as understated as a smoked beer is capable of being, that is).

Taste: smoky at first, then a smooth, sweet malt fills in the bottom notes. The smoke is persistent all the way through the flavor experience. This is not a complex beer, but if you like a good smoked beer that doesn't get too carried away, Shiner Smokehaus may indeed be for you.

Mouthfeel: lightish body but the carbonation makes this beer really quite creamy. I wholeheartedly approve.

Drinkability: this may not be the best smoked beer I've ever had, but I'm enjoying it quite a great deal. To me, not only is it pretty tasty, but it is a smoked beer of which I think I could sit down and drink a sixer. Good stuff.

3.65/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a bottle, golden color- much like commercial lagers. Little head, no retention. Overpowering smoke smell in the nose. Malt and smoke in terms flavor, light mouthfeel.

Much better smoke flavor than the only other smoke beer I've had (alaskan) as it is not overpowering and fits well with the style.

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Pours medium light gold in color with about one finger of head, retention is minimal, as is lacing.

S - Mostly just malts, with a touch of hops and smoke. It has a very fresh aroma to it.

T - Sweet malt flavor up front, mild bitterness, as it washes away there is a faint mesquite smoke.

M - Pretty thin, nice carbonation and refreshing.

D - It's a pretty easy drinker and it's good, just would probably be bored with it after having a couple. Perhaps pairing it with some food off the smoker would help bring out it's subtle characteristics.

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

We don't see much Shiner/Spoetzl in New England so I was happy to pick this up as a mixed six while in Kansas on business.

The words "mesquite smoked" really intriqued me as I love smoked beers...

Appearance - very light, straw colored with a thin bubbly head. Not much to look at really.

Aroma - grainy, a little sour and some light hints of campfire smokiness.

Flavor - sweet up front, more so than I expected, with a very nice dose of smoky flavor coming in nicely. Its actual a smoky flavor that has me thinking bbq and not burning wood. The graininess from this beer comes back into play and something doesn't quite mesh as well as I'd like.

Overall - it was missing something or something was missing. Not enough smokiness or maybe the beer itself was just not that great so the smokiness that I wanted so bad couldn't have fixed it anyways.

I love the label on this beer even though that doesn't do much for the flavor. It did catch my eye so they did something right!

3.53/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Perfect Pint glass.

A: Deep gold with great clarity and active carbonation. A soapy off-white head rapidly retreats to a thin film. Leaves nice amounts of lace.

S: Very smoky. Barbecue in glass pretty much sums things up. Behind the smoke is a bit of straw and grass.

T: The smoke flows nicely into the flavor. The mesquite really shines here, but isn't over the top. Underneath is some dry malt and a very mild lemon bitterness. Finishes with lingering smoke flavors.

M: The light body is slightly dry and has the right amount of fizz.

D: This is a unique beer that I'm glad I tried. Next time I have it, some sort of barbecue should be on the menu.

3.64/5  rDev +13.8%

A- Holy shit, the bubbles! THE BUBBLES! The first thing noticed is the massive amount of carbonation bubbles erupting from the bottom of the pint glass. This thing is on fiyah! One of the liveliest beers I've ever seen! Just amazing! The head is a super finely bubbles puffy cloud of foam, smooth and creamy looking, with one finger depth. I foresee some real Victorian-esque lacing on the horizon. The color is a great golden color, the color of all the stuff in Fort Knox's basement. What a great looking lager! Exceptional, at least.

S- Surprisingly light on the smoke, it's more of a subtle hint, which falls right behind the smooth malt aroma. A little adjuncty, but mostly a good balance of Texas pale malt and solid everyday hops. Slightly metallic, however, a little on the cheap side, especially with the hops.

T- Mostly an average tasting American lager; light on flavor, some crispy, toasty hops, decent balance, but hoppier. Decent smoke whispers, just enough to keep your attention. A little above average, thanks to the creative brewing. A slightly sticky aftertaste.

M- Thin and smooth, perfect carbonation.

D- Not bad. Instead of being overwhelmed by the smokiness, your greeted with a thoughtful balance. However, it's a little boring.

to view more.