Shiner Smokehaus - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Helles-style lager made with Texas mesquite wood-smoked pale malts. 16 IBU
Ratings: 250 | Reviews: 153
Reviews by titusgroan:
2.2/5  rDev -31.3%

Hello - This is my First Review! I was waiting to review something I love and in a way I am... I'm from TX and LOVE SHINER! I do dislike their wheat beer but everything else they have done I love. They are a TX Tradition and more the National Beer of TX than LoneStar. That said... I am sorely disappointed in the SmokeHouse. I can truly say this is the worst beer i've ever tried. It pours a very nice bright yellow. Had the head of a typical Shiner - so it lasted about 3 seconds. I detected almost no smoke scent - barely there at all. It smelled almost like the 99 Helles but with a faint faint smoky smell. Then the first sip. It starts with a nice Helles profile - crisp with a slight hint of hops. But then i swallowed. You would have thought i shot a Burnt Hot Dog Water chaser! I was not expecting that at all. I unscrewed my face and tried again. Same. I managed to get through one third of the beer before tossing it down the sink. I bought two and used the second to marinade a chicken in the slow cooker - the chicken turned out lovely. I commend Shiner for trying something new. But this is not the way. I'm hoping they keep this experimental streak going but i'm not drinking this again.

3.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I gotta say I was quite skeptical before trying this beer but in the end I kinda liked it.Poured a clear lemony yellow with a thinner white head atop,light aromas of sweet mesquite wood and toasy malt mainly,a tinge of iron is there as well.The smoke is light on the palate but it is crisp and a little toasty,the sweet mesquite flavors as mentioned before are lighter but to me its quite drinkable.Could this beer match up to a Franconian Rauchbier?...Of course it can't, but its crisp and clean with a little smoke making a refreshing summer lager in my mind.

4.2/5  rDev +31.3%

Appearance: gold in color, 1/2 inch head, clear, medium carbonation

Smell: campfire smoke and bacon

Taste: sweet toasted malt with smokiness at the end. A light bacon flavor.

Mouthfeel: This one is a bit too highly carbonated. It is light and sweet.

Drinkability: This one was a pleasant surprise. It is good for how light it is. This is a smoke beer that is crisp and refreshing. I could have six and wish I picked up more of this.

3.13/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a slight orange tint and a white head. The aroma is biscuit malt and quite a bit of smoke. The flavor is a lot of biscuit and bready malt, but there is a strong meaty BBQ smoke flavor in there as well. Light mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Not a great drinking beer, but this has enough smoke that it works great when cooking. Add it to the broth in a slow cooker and it imparts great flavor to the meat.

4.07/5  rDev +27.2%

This beer bills itself as a perfect addition for a summer barbeque, which is very appropriate. What I mean is it's distinct taste relies a lot on what you're having with it. The first couple times I had it was with some hot wings, bbq meat and then with a big ol' burger. It was great, the smoky taste complemented the meaty, saucy items well.

I've since had it other times both with other types of food and not having eaten in a couple of hours and it just didn't compare. It those had been my first experiences I may not have come back to it.

But when matched with the right food, it's a very smooth drinking flavorful beer. Intense but not overpowering.

3.35/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into pint glass golden yellow with a nice white head that disapaits quickly. No lacing. Smells quite malted, however there isn't a sign of smoking (I'm not sure if there is supposed to be). The taste is smooth, there's actually a little hop bite to it, which is odd for Shiner. There's alot more flavor than any other beer shiner has made in a long time. However, again, there still is no mesquite taste to it. Which is dissappointing because I love mesquite smoked BBQ. The moutfeel causes a little tingle in the mouth which is nice. Overall, this is Shiner's best "sommer" beer yet.

2.82/5  rDev -11.9%

Drank from a bottle poured into a glass

A. A very light color with not much head.

S. Smells of Budweiser with a ham sandwich added to it. Very little if any smoke smell

T. There is not much flavor at all. The only way to get a smoked taste is to inhale with your nose right above the glass and then take a drink.

M. Very light bodied with a slight ham aftertaste

D. Struggled to get through the bottle. But it has inspired us to homebrew while adding a ham sandwich and a cigar to the wort.

2.23/5  rDev -30.3%

Pours a yellow golden color with a macro looking clarity. The head is white and ugly... good thing it fades to nothing. So far not so good.

The scent is in line with the pour, I'm thinking cheap american lager. Stale malts and old musty grains. No bueno.

Taste is the same. Watered down but with a distinct biscuit taste. The evidence of mesquite smoke only appears in the form of slight throat irritation.

This is a poor beer. There is nothing distinct about it and nothing really interesting. This is one you should totally pass on.

2.26/5  rDev -29.4%

A - The label on the bottle looks very retro, and describes this smoked brew as a helles style lager. That piqued my interest... I wouldn't expect a brewer to smoke such a light style. The head is initially two inches, and settles down to a nice thick orangish cap on top of a "first morning void" amber/orange brew.

S - Im not getting a whole helluva lot from the nose. Minerals (coppery notes) and cedar chips.

T - Bland, overly sweet, and soapy at first, this shows some mesquite notes on the back end, but they are only gentle hints. Salty and medicinal.

M - On the thicker end of light bodied, in the same way that a Euro lager is slightly heavier than a Mexican or American lager, but still light. Weak carbonation and high sugars make this flabby despite its light weight, like your skinny (but far from athletic) buddy that has developed little man titties in his thirties.

D - This is a miss for sure. I don't know how this got such a high average score. I think its plain and below average at best. I didn't drain pour this one, and I could see how a BMC person would enjoy this with some BBQ in place of their usual silver bullet, but when I see the words "smoked" and "mesquite" I want some heavy hittin' flavor dammit! Good thing I happen to have a bottle of Aecht Schlenkerla around somewhere... now that is some serious smoke!

3.43/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz twist-off, pilsener, no freshness date.

Exceptionally clear yellow verging on sunny orange tones. Active white head from a manly pour recedes quickly and leaves an even thin cap. Some visible rising bubbles.

Smells crisp with saltine and grain. Only faint mesquite smoke back on the third sniff.

Taste is of the same lager yeast, cracker, and grain with more smoke. Rather bar-b-que like and refreshing. The hopping is minimal, offering a slight balancing bitterness.

Good mouth for a helles lager, not overly bubbly, it could even stand more bubble. I can't believe I just typed that.

For $2.99 a six closeout this was an amazing bargain. I'll drink it in these tough times.

3.74/5  rDev +16.9%

The first thing that surprised me about Shiner Smokehaus was the color. Every smoked beer I've had before this was dark brown or black, but this is as light as crisp as any macrobrew. Perhaps a shade more orange than yellow. But the smoke aroma is certainly there. The taste is pretty good, too. Starts out sweet, a little bit of hops, then that mesquite smokey flavor. Almost like liquid BBQ chips. This isn't one I'd go for often, but at just under 5% ABV, the crisp texture, and easy drinkability, it's perfect for a day of grilling!

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%

Picked up a single at Liquor World in Fayetteville, AR. The beer appears clear amber with a tall white head that quickly fades. This beer tastes like liquid smoke and bacon, but the label says the malts are smoked. The malts leave a slight background taste and there are zero hops. It's drinkable, but simple, if you want something smokey for your BBQ, this'll work.

3.68/5  rDev +15%

Pours gold with a nice fluffy white head that retains and leaves nice lacing, good clarity too. The aroma has some smokey notes upfront (hickory smoked bacon), along with biscuit and bread dough, a little caramel and some flinty hops. The flavor is similar to the aroma with a mild smokiness upfront, along with some biscuit and bread dough, honey,floral hops and a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is light and drinkability is very good. A pretty tasty smoked helles, not on part with Schlenkerla but still good.

3.36/5  rDev +5%

Pours pear colored with a pinky of pearl colored head. Zero head retention & lacing, dragging the whole beer's rating down...

S: Smokey notes, some honey, pear juice & a touch of sulphur that fades as this warms

T: Honey malts, pear notes & slight smokeyness up front. Pear juice, slight citrus hops notes, along with a tinge of metallic notes as this warms. Finishes slightly dry, with honey notes & near zero smokeyness at the end

MF: Light/medium bodied with soft carbonation

Doesn't drink half bad, enough flavor profile that I could do about 1/2 a sixer during a BBQ or fishing trip. A little more smokeyness would've pleased me, not bad though, as usual I ask Spoetzl, MORE MALT please!!

2.71/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured a light golden yellow with a small soap ring of a head.

The smell has a bad burnt smell like overcooked pork fat.

The taste has a big smokey flavor up front with a bit of light toasted malt sneaking through, then the hickory and pork flavor seem to take over in the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery with a touch of slickness.

A weird one dimensional beer, not bad, but nothing I would drink regularly.

3.41/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a clear golden color with a large white head that slowly settled to a thin cap. Spotty lacing is left on the glass. Smells like a Helles which this uses as a base but no hint of smoke. I pick up the Munich malt but that is about it. The smoke does play a minor role in the flavor but it fades as more beer is consumed. As a Helles lager it is mediocre but the slight smokiness boosts the score slightly. It needs some hop presence as well as more smokey flavor to really improve this beer. Has a nice texture but the body is on the thin side. A decent initiation to smoke beers.

2.96/5  rDev -7.5%

Picked up a 12-pack to drink while grilling. About as expected. Maybe a little better.

A: Drank right from the bottle. The bottle looks cool and sort of retro.
S: The smell is not overpowering.
T: Taste is light and refreshing
M: Highly carbonated gives it a rough taste that is a welcomed blast on a hot Texas weekend afternoon.

Overall a pretty good beer for good times outdoors.

3.08/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle. Pours clear orange-gold with a nice white head that lasts reasonably well. Smells of pale malt--the kind one would typically associate with a characterless lager--with some distinctive woody smoke. Taste similar, with a typical sweet pale lager character overlayed by mesquite smoke. Quite sweet overall. Decently full body. This is about what I thought it would be--a Shiner Blonde/liquid smoke mix that doesn't stand up to its German rauchbier counterparts.

3.57/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz. Bright orange/amber pour. Just a layer of white head.

Aroma has some malt, leather. Some yeasty hints. Just a hint "smoke" to speak of.

More smoke in the taste. Mesquite for sure. Malt and biscuit accented by a pleasant bbq. Finishes with the bbq as well. Not overwhelming, but certainly present throughout.

Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy almost, just missing something. Not enough body to keep it together. This makes it a one and done, like most pure smoke lagers. Smoke belongs with the dark brews. Not bad, just not really that pleasant or begging of another.

3.41/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is rather mild, some malts. Taste is good, smokeyness up front, malty at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall was a different and fairly enjoyable beer.

2.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Deep golden yellow. Poured this into a Sam Adams pint glass with a 2 ½ finger head. Deep golden yellow. Semi-foamy, large bubbles. Head retention was not very good. Foam quickly dissipated to a thin layer; towards the end there was nothing left it. Poured this at 57 degrees.

The smell reminded me of a BBQ pit grill and a beer.

It had a mesquite smoke flavor, almost like liquid smoke was added to it. However, after a while the mesquite flavor went away and was replaced with a charred smoke, and a metallic finish. It was like what I imagine a char covered BBQ grill would taste like. It starts off very carbonated, but towards the end it went a little flat.

It went down very easily. In fact, before I knew it I had downed a 6pck without even noticing.

This beer was decent. Although I will probably never purchases it again. I might have one if I see it in a cooler/ice chest at a backyard BBQ. This is an okay summer beer. As one BA member suggested, maybe this would taste good if paired with some form of BBQ - such as pulled pork or something smothered in BBQ sauce. I can't knock this beer too much because it told me right up front what to expect - mesquite smoke and BBQ.

Overall it was interesting - like a BBQ pit in a bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +32.8%

OHHHHH, I MISS THIS BEER! This was Texas all the way. Smooth and smoky. Perfect for summer cook outs or autumn nights by an open fire. I drool thinking of it. Original and fantastic in every way for my taste buds. SHINER - PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!! I will buy all your inventory.

3.56/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz bottle poured into an American tumbler pint glass. No date or info.

A - Totally clear golden yellow with a frothy white head. Moderate retention and some sticky lace left behind.

S - Smokehaus starts out with a light mesquite wood chip aroma with a crisp and light pale malt bite with a bit of graininess. Not the smoke I was expecting from the name.

T - Mmm, this has a good, balanced level of smokey mesquite with a bright pale and pils malt flavor ending with a bright light hoppiness.

M - Crisp and light-bodied with a tasty smoke kick and a refreshing finish.

D - A good summer beer, especially paired with some BBQ, chips, and coleslaw. Good around a bonfire too.

3.3/5  rDev +3.1%

re-review
The new offering from Shiner for the summer. Fingers crossed as I've been real disappointed in them lately. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. It was a clear golden yellow color with good carb streams and no lacing. It had a finger of fizzy off-white head that dissipated into almost nothing.

The aroma was typical pale malt lager - malty, bready and sweet - with smoke in the background. My original sample didn't have any smoke aroma so glad I got a free 5 pack from a buddy (he tried one and hated it so I got the leftovers). Still not as smoke as I'd like in a smoked beer but way better than last sample. The flavor followed the taste. Better than before but still not overly smoked. It does get better as it warms and does have enough smoke to make it interesting. Not gonna make my regular rotation but would be good on tap if only BMC's available.

Overall, much improved from before but still just good as a level above a BMC and not as a craft player. It's kinda in a weird spot. Not enough flavor to be a big player with good beer drinkers but out there enough to maybe put off BMC drinkers and entry level craft drinkers like my buddy. I'd give a recommendation if you can get a single, on tap or free. For me, it's interesting enough and usually cheap so worth a six or two while in season. More of as something to quench the thirst after drinking the heavy hitters than as the main course.

[1-26X]

3.75/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A crystal-clear golden-amber body with a generous bubbly white head that burns out rather quickly leaving only the barest patches of lacing.

Aroma: A rather typical pale malt Lager body with some definite notes of mesquite smoke. No hops to speak of. I was really hoping for more smoke here...

Taste: The familiar taste of a light Shiner Lager accented with a splash of tasty smokiness in the finish. Unfortunately, the smoke flavor is not very intense and comes off as a bit of an afterthought after the first couple of sips. The aftertaste is composed of a quick flash of smoke and grain that fades quickly.

Mouthfeel: A slightly lighter than medium body with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Built as a very drinkable and refreshing beer, with the smoke flavor light enough to not slow it down whatsoever. A great beer for grilling in the Texas heat.

Verdict: Lots of credit to Shiner for trying something new here, I just wish they had been a bit more bold with the smoke intensity. If you've never tried a smoked beer, this is a nice gentle introduction. I hope this helps pave the way to a new crop of Rauchbiers on the market here in Texas.

Shiner Smokehaus from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner