Shiner Smokehaus - Spoetzl Brewery

Texas, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.89% ABV

Availability: Summer

Helles-style lager made with Texas mesquite wood-smoked pale malts. 16 IBU

(Beer added by: drunkboxer1 on 06-04-2009)
Ruslanchik

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

Shiner is not about brewing a beer that will knock your socks off. They aim for drinkability. They would rather sell you a six-pack and have you drink it all in one night than sell you a bomber that has you raving to your friends. I definitely had that in mind when I picked up their latest. If you are looking for an easy to drink beer with more flavor than your average pilsener, this beer is for you. If you are looking for tons of smokey flavor, you are barking up the wrong tree.

A: Crystal clear bronze color with a fizzy white head. No real lacing, but the head lasts awhile.

S: Basically like macro lager, but with just a touch of smoke aroma. Just a hint really. Definitely nothing to write home about.

T: Again, this is like a standard pilsener with some smoke flavor tacked on at the end. The funny thing is, I had a beer out of this same six-pack and the smoke flavor was much more evident. Nowhere near overpowering, but definitely present. In this beer, it seems underwhelming.

M: This beer is light and refreshing. They definitely hit their target on that one.

D: As expected, this beer is made to drink in quantity. At a party, I could drink these all night.

There may be some consistency problems with this beer, but overall it is decent. Other Shiner beers are better and I may never pick this one up again, but I certainly do not regret the decision to buy a sixer.

08-09-2009 05:53:52 | More by Ruslanchik
bcgpete

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +26.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Light straw color with a finger and a half of white head which went away quickly leaving a very light film.

The smell is a bit smokey, not as much as I was expecting though.
Taste is typical for a lager, fairly well balanced. I'm still not getting the smokey flavor that I have heard so much about. This reminds me a lot of Shiner's 99th anniversary Helles lager, but more balanced.
The mouthfeel is great, a very good summer beer. Fairly light in the mouth but with enough flavor so that it's not watery in the least.
I will definitely buy this beer again if I'm in the mood for a lager, I only wish that Shiner would convert all of their beers to pop-tops.

08-07-2009 23:19:13 | More by bcgpete
utah44

Louisiana

Poured a golden color with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of light smoke. Taste of heavy, overwhelming, burnt smoke with hints of mesquite. Enhances and complements the flavor of smokeless tobacco. Mouthfeel is superb. Great brew for a smoke-filled room.

08-07-2009 04:11:52 | More by utah44
webbcreative

Oklahoma

2.38/5  rDev -25.2%

Darker golden in color, sorta like piss after you have had a few beers. 3 finger white head that dissapated half way through. Not getting much in the nose at all, really gotta struggle to get anything outta there, and even then still I can't really pinpoint anything. Tase starts out at first hit with a band-aid flavor. Then it's just all smoke from there, really too much for me, seems to get more pronounced as it warms too, this will be hard to finish. Mouthfeel is the best thing this beer has going for it, it's a nice med mouthfeel.

Overall, will not be getting this beer again.

08-06-2009 23:24:17 | More by webbcreative
winegourmet76

2.5/5  rDev -21.4%

I don't understand this beer-I tried it when it first came out, and it wasn't very smokey. They must have re-formulated it, because now it's like huffing fumes from a barbeque grill with mesquite wood!

Appearance-light golden brown, looks like a lager.

Smell-not too smokey, seems like it'll be well-balanced, a little bit of smoke

Taste-whew! all smoke. It lingers.

Mouthfeel-nice and light, still refreshing.

drinkability-not bad if you like strange brews...

08-04-2009 02:39:07 | More by winegourmet76
ArrogantB

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -14.2%

Nice yellow color, average sized white head. It smells like burned wood, blech. The taste is also smoky mesquite and a medicinal aftertaste. I knew this beer was smoked before I bought it but I didn't think it would be so prominent. I really did not enjoy this beer.

08-04-2009 00:46:17 | More by ArrogantB
BMoney575

2.08/5  rDev -34.6%

Sampled on 7-31-09

Pours a very clear golden orange color, with steady bubbles rising to the surface. A thin white head leaves quickly fading lacing.

Smell is thin, all adjunct lager, with a decently strong, beef jerky smoke character. Odd, but surprisingly unoffensive.

Taste is terrible. The smoke adds an earthy vegetable quality that never leaves. This will be hard to finish.

Mouthfeel is alright, fits the style.

Drinkability is awful, the flavor is disgusting.

Overall, the smoke ruins what would normally be a nice, light, refreshing lager. Avoid at all costs.

07-31-2009 23:30:39 | More by BMoney575
rowew

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +23.6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, screw top. Nice looking retro label. I don't see a date or ABV.

Appearance: Clear and golden in color, nice sized head that fades slowly.

Smell: A light mineral smell - similar to what I've come to expect from a good pilsner. There may be a hint of smoke in there too, but if I wasn't looking for it I don't think I'd smell it.

Taste: Theres the smoke. Very interesting .. manages to be smoky but still light and refreshing. There is a smoky flavor, but almost a fruity note as well. Light body with a medium carbonation level.

Overall impression: This one is a bit hard to pin down - but its enjoyable trying. I'm liking this much more than I expected to.

07-28-2009 23:12:53 | More by rowew
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

Mesquite smoked, man am I curious what they did here. Mesquite can easily get over-powering. A vigorous pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a four-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a light copper hue that shows a brilliantly clear, rich gold color with copper highlights when held up to the light. The aroma has a phenolic note to it that clearly comes from the smoke; I would describe this as a mix of mesquite smoked leather, a touch of plastic, some salty brine character, and even some smoked caramelized notes. There is not a whole lot of base beer character noticeable here; perhaps a hint of sweet grain comes through at times, and there is a touch of grassy grain to the finish. The aroma is not bad, definitely interesting, but I am not sure I really want to see a bunch of mesquite smoked beers being done.

Lightly sweet with a nice malt-grain note to it, the beer has a faint smokiness to it in the finish that adds a depth and complexity that I wasn't expecting. The smoke in the flavor is quite subdued, though substantial in many ways. While the beer is pretty light bodied and easy drinking, the smoke provides a hearty, almost savory quality to this beer. The smoke also contributes an umami-like richness, a touch of caramel-like sweetness. Perhaps a hint of spiciness and bitterness is contributed by the hops, while the malt adds some grassy grain notes. The smoke causes this beer to come off as quite dry, but there is some body to this brew; it never gets watery and even has a touch of viscousness to it that allows it to cling to the palate. The texture is actually quite nice and compliments the smoke quite well.

This beer will pair quite well with food, the soft, though pervasive smoke character is just about perfect in the flavor; if there had been more smoke here I would worry about the mesquite just getting too harsh. There is just enough smoke to keep this beer quite interesting, and despite my initial misgivings, I am finding myself quite enjoying this beer. This beer is severely under-rated, but given this breweries reputation, I can't say I am surprised.

Purchased: Plaza Liquors, Tucson AZ

07-26-2009 20:48:33 | More by Gueuzedude
morimech

3.43/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a clear golden color with a large white head that slowly settled to a thin cap. Spotty lacing is left on the glass. Smells like a Helles which this uses as a base but no hint of smoke. I pick up the Munich malt but that is about it. The smoke does play a minor role in the flavor but it fades as more beer is consumed. As a Helles lager it is mediocre but the slight smokiness boosts the score slightly. It needs some hop presence as well as more smokey flavor to really improve this beer. Has a nice texture but the body is on the thin side. A decent initiation to smoke beers.

07-25-2009 18:52:28 | More by morimech
Beerbythepool

Missouri

2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.
I drank this one just before starting the grill in order to get the full effect.

Golden straw color with about 2 finger head. Nice looking head that held pretty well. Good lacing.

The label tells you what you will be getting (Helles lager with smoke flavor) and I thought the smoke hits quick and up front. I have never had a smoked beer so it was fairly strong for me. Feels like I am inhaling campfire smoke while drinking a beer, which has actually happened many times in the past.

Like someone else stated...I taste it in the back of my throat. The smoke might overpower a decent beer, but this was fun to try for a hot humid summer day. Leaves my throat raspy and ready to sing a country song.

07-24-2009 01:19:15 | More by Beerbythepool
joshuadlight

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Nice packaging on the 12 oz bottle. Shiner bottles look sharp. I just wish the beers tasted as nice as they are presented.
The poured beer looks great too. The head is maintained but consistent rising bubbles through the pretty golden liquid.
No smell to speak of, it smells like BMC light beer.
The taste is not potent up front, but there is a lasting aftertaste that reminds me of smoked bacon. This is the only resemblance of smoke I picked up. I would have liked more smoke in the nose and on the palette.

07-23-2009 03:18:21 | More by joshuadlight
omnigrits

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

I was given a bottle of this by a local beer rep with a view to stocking it in the bar where I work.

It has a nice pale amber colour with plenty of rising bubbles and a thick off-white head. The head vanishes very quickly and there's not a trace of lacing anywhere on the glass. Aroma is... well, I don't normally expect to get a whiff of pigmeat from a beer, but ham is really the only thing I can describe it as. There's a faint hint of mesquite in there, some grassy notes and a bit of malt. I got quite a strong mesquite flavour with the first few mouthfuls but it's faded away as the tasting progresses, and now that this beer has been sitting in my glass for maybe 20 minutes and is about two-thirds drunk, it's getting pretty unpleasant. Very thin on the mouthfeel.

It's not a bad beer I guess, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who will enjoy it. More power to their elbow. It's not for me though.

07-22-2009 23:17:40 | More by omnigrits
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours pear colored with a pinky of pearl colored head. Zero head retention & lacing, dragging the whole beer's rating down...

S: Smokey notes, some honey, pear juice & a touch of sulphur that fades as this warms

T: Honey malts, pear notes & slight smokeyness up front. Pear juice, slight citrus hops notes, along with a tinge of metallic notes as this warms. Finishes slightly dry, with honey notes & near zero smokeyness at the end

MF: Light/medium bodied with soft carbonation

Doesn't drink half bad, enough flavor profile that I could do about 1/2 a sixer during a BBQ or fishing trip. A little more smokeyness would've pleased me, not bad though, as usual I ask Spoetzl, MORE MALT please!!

07-22-2009 03:28:14 | More by russpowell
hughesm4

2.78/5  rDev -12.6%

Drank from a bottle poured into a glass

A. A very light color with not much head.

S. Smells of Budweiser with a ham sandwich added to it. Very little if any smoke smell

T. There is not much flavor at all. The only way to get a smoked taste is to inhale with your nose right above the glass and then take a drink.

M. Very light bodied with a slight ham aftertaste

D. Struggled to get through the bottle. But it has inspired us to homebrew while adding a ham sandwich and a cigar to the wort.

07-21-2009 02:03:45 | More by hughesm4
mwa423

2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

A -Poured from bottle, there was relatively little head. Color is dead on helles and quite clear

S - Hints of smoke and barbecue and not much else, very spicy smelling, I really get the mesquite smell

T - It has a good amount of helles lager flavor, but the only way I get any smoke is by inhaling deeply before taking a sip.

M - Relatively weak, similar mouthfeel to the entire shiner series.

D - While this is a pretty easy drinking helles, there are many many options that are superior

07-21-2009 01:09:13 | More by mwa423
natelocc787

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

This beer is exactly what your hearing it is.

Nothing special in the appearance at all. In between golden and amber in color. Head is gone fast and disappears completely in seconds.

Smell like charred wood and lager.

Taste has mesquite wood, charcoal, earthy tones with pepper and malt.

Slightly drinkable and goes great with BBQ as suggested on label.

This is not a great complex brew by any standard. The score is only this high because it is different and the flavor profile makes it interesting and unique.

07-18-2009 04:49:38 | More by natelocc787
armock

3.53/5  rDev +11%

A - Poured a golden color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is mostly of grainy malt with a touch of smoke

T - Theres more smoke flavor than I expected but its not the same taste as a good Rauchbier I think the wood Shiner used gives it a BBQ wood taste rather than a pork product taste

M - This beer has a light body with medium carbonation to it

D - This is a good beer for summer as its pretty light but theres just not enough smoke in it for my tastes

07-17-2009 21:51:54 | More by armock
DeathbySexyBT

3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

Served: Bottle

A: Light with a head that dies way to quickly.

S: There is a grassy aroma with almost astringent quality.

T: Lightly smoked. Definately not a rauchbeir, but the smoke is there. I am unsure if this is actually mesquite or just Liquid Smoke grilling sauce, though.

M: Sharp with a mild smoke aftertaste that does accumulate.

Notes: As with many Shiner beers, they are good but not great. They have amazing ideas, but they all come across as mild versions of exciting styles.

07-15-2009 18:01:00 | More by DeathbySexyBT
Fnord

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance - Clear orange-yellow with a lot of bubbles and a fairly dense head.

Smell - Caramel, grass, a bit of alcohol and corn.

Taste - It starts with pale malt flavors, with smoke and grassy hops quickly following. The aftertaste is mostly smoke, and a little alchohol.

Mouthfeel - Light body, high carbonation.

Drinkability - Pretty good. The smokey aftertaste may start to build up after a couple of these, which can be either good or bad depending on personal preference.

Notes - This is no rauchbier, but the smoke is definitely present. Mainly useful as an introduction to smoked beers.

07-14-2009 18:30:27 | More by Fnord
jujubeast6000

2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Reviewed 7/11/2009 (bottle):

Pours a clear lager like color body, with a big white head, active and quickly diminishing. Very Clear yellow body, with very active bubbling. Lager-like vegetably aroma, some smokiness present. Not much smoke aroma. Vegatably taste, very smoky aftertaste. Some smoke in the taste, but not very sweet like I was expecting from the mesquite. Almost ashy, but not quite. Somewhat refreshing, goes okay with grilled steak. Some vegetably taste, but it's mostly covered by the smokiness.

07-12-2009 00:00:45 | More by jujubeast6000
brewdlyhooked13

3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance - pours a bright, clear straw/gold color. Two fingers of white foam start out, but reduce back to a thin cover pretty quickly. A steady bead from below helps it sustain itself.

Aroma - just the vaguest hint of mesquite. The helles style hides it fairly well, at least in the nose. The standard sweet graininess is the primary aroma, though little bits of mesquite do pop up now and then.

Taste - mesquite. Oh yeah, much more pronounced in the first sip. A nice light smokiness that respects the Helles style. The grain sweetness is a good counterpart to the light smokiness, well-balanced. A clean, dry finish, a trace of smoke at the end.

Mouthfeel - lighter-bodied, crisply carbonated; summery.

Drinkability - this should be great with smoked/grilled foods.

07-11-2009 15:44:02 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Tone

Missouri

3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a clear, golden/copper color. One and one half inch head of a white color. Good retention and poor lacing. Smells of yeast, pale malt, and slight grain. Fits the style of a smoked beer, but it is more of a Helles lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of smoke up front, then strong yeast, some pale malt, sweet malt, also slight hop in the background. Overall, a good blend of flavors and the smoke is not over-powering. I've never had a smoked Helles before, but it was rather pleasant.

07-09-2009 05:05:49 | More by Tone
MrHungryMonkey

3.43/5  rDev +7.9%

Nose is grainy malty with sour edge and notes of pork. Smells pretty good.

Pours a medium yellow, good clarity, nice head. Looks good.

Smokey flavor is less pronounced after being poured in a glass (yesterday I swigged one from the bottle which tasted rightly smoky), all-in-all I'd say mildly smoky (which I'm not sure if that's good or bad) . Softy malty - similar to the 99 (which is my favorite Shiner). Softly sweet. Mild noble hops. Moderate tartness, mild sourness. Very mildly nutty. Hints of fruit. Tastes pretty good. Feels pretty good. Fairly drinkable.

I love the idea, I like the beer. Shiner deserves a big Prost! for the unusual style. If they made it stronger like I would have enjoyed, I'm sure many of their regular patrons wouldn't have. Prost!

07-07-2009 00:22:23 | More by MrHungryMonkey
Seru1

Alabama

3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured in a Pint Glass, substitute for mug.

Appearance- Brilliant Coppery gold, perfectly clear with a thin head and decent carbonation. It's rare for me to see this color in beer.

Smell- I found this beer weak on the nose with light hints of smoke and eathiness.

Taste- Ah there's the smoke. This beer Perfectly Captures the sweet mesquite smoke, backed up by hardy full maltiness without being bitter. The smoke is as advertised very texas barbecue, not peat like as my scotch experience had me imagining. A little tang of citrusy hops rounds out the profile

Mouthfeel- Decently lasting not more than a few seconds, all you'd really want I think

Drinkability- For most this would be an experimental of food beer. I doubt many beer drinkers want a smokey flavored beer. Still it compliments grilled items perfectly, and for us scotch lovers drinkability increases dramatically.

I think I may go buy the six pack next time instead of just the single!

07-01-2009 19:45:21 | More by Seru1