Shiner Fröst - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: ebraun on 12-27-2009

Ratings: 136 | Reviews: 80
3.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Clear golden hue, fluffy head, nice lacing. Excellent.

S: Grassy, bread-y, classic clean non-skunked Euro pilsner smell.

T: More bread, light citrus-earthy hops, saltine crackers. Decent.

M/D: Nothing really stands out except for the hops. Mouthfeel is perfect for the style, its clean and very 'sessionable'. You can drink alot of this and not get bored.

3.16/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Nice looking beer when poured into my pilsner glass. About a two finger head and a crystal clear golden body. Head fades quickly, little to no lacing.
S: Nothing much to write about. Slightly malty, just a hint of hops.
T: Again, kind of boring. It does take on a sweet taste up front as you drink, but this taste quickly fades into a crisp, slightly hoppy finish.
M: Decently carbonated and medium bodied. Finishes relatively clean with just a slight aftertaste.
D: You could do worse if you're looking for a nice beer on a hot day, though I'm not sure this brew is available in spring/summer. It's not bad, but not entirely flavorful either.

3.29/5  rDev -9.1%

A - Deep golden color, extra clear, white head. The looks are the best thing about this beer. Beautiful presentation.

S - Not much, but most of what I get is nobel hops, and slight grainyness.

T - As far as lagers go, pretty good. Decent amount of flavor, nobel hops, a little grain.

M - Clean, dry, and a high amount of CO2.

D - I could knock a few of these back, but it's nothing to write home about.

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Color: sits a brilliantly clear golden yellow

Smell: pleasant Pils malt sweetness with supporting noble hop aroma

Taste: good balance of malt and hops throughout, neither stand out in front. the finish has a touch of malt sweetness with a slight bitter linger

Mouthfeel: low-medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: good example of the style though not my favorite

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Another interesting seasonal from Shiner. Pours a deep golden colour with a nice head which vanishes a bit too quickly and leaves little lace. It has be swirled around in the glass to get much of an aroma but what's there isn't bad - unusually hoppy for a lager. It's my first crack at a Dortmunder.

Good malty backbone with a dry finish that's much to my taste. bready and biscuity. Very nice mouthfeel - weighty.

Definitely sessionable.

3.41/5  rDev -5.8%

Shiner Frost

my first dortmunder. Frost reminds me of a maltier, breadier pilsner. there's not a lot to say about this beer besides the flavor notes.

pours a golden yellow with a nice little head. the little smells i can detect are of bready malts.

taste is slightly hoppy over bready malts. nice clean taste, but lacking in any robust flavor that would make a good beer. on par for the Spoetzel brewery. interesting, but not much. it's highly carbonated and leaves a nice aftertaste. sure, it's sessionable, but easily forgettable.

+ probably Shiner's hoppiest beer, and one of the tastiest they make.

+ interesting taste

- but not interesting enough to keep my attention.

3.76/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from the bottle a golden yellow color with a four-finger--check that, fist worth of pillowy white head. My choice of a weizen glass was fortunate. A little sticky head clings to the glass, but after a while just a few small patches of lacing remain.

Smells lightly of lemon and apple juice, as well as wet, fresh-cut grass/flowers. Taste also contains lemon notes, though it's not quite as herbal/fruity as the nose, with pale malts that feel a little grainy. Nothing special here, just easy-drinking flavors.

Body is on the light side, and mouthfeel is very clean, with just a slight bitterness throughout the mouth upon the swallow. Frost is a very, very drinkable lager, one I'd reach to in far warmer weather.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

12oz bottle into pilsener glass.

A: Gold with a fairly delicate white head. Head doesn't stick around long and fades to a thin layer of foam on the surface of the beer.

S: Lager yeast -- clean, crisp. German hops (spicy?) and pale malt.

T/M: Lots of hop bitterness, but not like an IPA. Different kind of bitter. More herbal/spicy than citrus. Malt profile is like a cracker. Pretty aggressively carbonated and no distinct flavors from the yeast -- as it should be. Great for drinking in hot weather, though it's supposed to be a winter beer.

D: Easy to drink and has more flavor than typical pale lagers. A bit stronger than I'd like for a session beer, but I can't taste the alcohol, so it's easy to get carried away.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance - Effervescent clear yellow with a small but dense off-white head.

Smell - Mostly grass and straw, a little honey.

Taste - More straw and grass, with the sweetness more evident in the taste. There's a flowery middle and a nice bready finish to this one. A bit of wheat is also noticeable.

Mouthfeel - Very crisp. Thin body and high carbonation.

Notes - It's a good session beer, drinkable and tasty but not demanding. Enough so that I wonder why it's a winter beer. It seems like it would be more at home in the spring or summer. The name is also a bad idea in this season: nobody wants to be reminded about how ball-shrivellingly cold it is outside. Drinking a "Frost" would sound good in the summer, though.

It's also the first Dortmunder style beer I've ever had. It's quite a bit like a German style pilsener, though maybe a little breadier. I'm not sure about its authenticity, though. Either way, definitely worth a try for pilsener fans.

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured a golden yellow with a healthy white head.

Strong malty scent.

There is a nice malt and hop balance here. Does not taste as sweet as the malty scent suggested. Very smooth and balanced, nicely done.

Mouthfeel is crisp with a quick finish.

A very sessional beer, I believe I will be opening another.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a coppery golden, with a nice head that quickly disipates, leaving only moderate lacing. Decent grainy aroma, though I would have enjoyed a bit more of a hops presence. Taste is a bit weak, though what was there was enjoyable. Again, there was a grainy presence that might have been better complemented with more hops presence. Mouthfeel was decent enough, but not really memorable in any respect. Overall, a drinkable beer, but I expect a bit more from this brewery.

4.37/5  rDev +20.7%

Finally had a chance to try this "new" beer from the folks at Shiner .. it's on the hoppy side (which I like), refreshing (which I like), affordable (which I really like). Highly recommended and would be a great summer beer should Shiner decides to keep it available at that time. But just in case they don't, I plan on stocking up, especially as the store I bought it at has it on sale. Having this beer with chicken burgers btw - great combo!

4.6/5  rDev +27.1%

Spoetzl Brewery's take on the Dortmunder style is an outstanding drinkable beer. A frothy, tawny gold colored pour that is a gentle reminder that beer was an important refuge to the working class, In this case, the Dortmund coal miners, who probably found this style of brew to be not only a throat 'cutter" but also also an elixir of restorative malts. "Frosty goodness" throughout the straight forward flavors, complimented by an outstanding semi-dry finish.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

First try at the Dortmunder style.
Color is very deep golden, looks appetizing. Smells good, more hops than malt.
Taste is a very nice balance between malt and hops, just a little dry, but just a little sweet. I like this. Very thirst-quenching. Must seek out others of this style.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

The beer pours pale straw in color, but with a rich creamy white head that might be expected in a true pilsner. The first sip is full and hearty on the nose with a malty richness, with a hint of herb, which breaks off sharply in a clean hop bite that lingers long after the finish. It's not as dry as a northern pils, which lends to its "drinkability"--to borrow a macro term--but sweet and clean. This would be a very nice session beer.

While this certainly is NOT an explosive or big full-flavored craft beer, the likes of which we normally praise around here, this is an excellent offering for its style and highly recommended (as a fun training-wheels brew) as their winter seasonal offering or--even better--in place of a cold, wet macro-brew should the need arise after mowing the lawn on a summer day.

4.02/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Picked a 6 pack up the other night, never seen this before. I love it.

Nice golden amber color and beautiful frothy head and lacing. Good steady carbonation.

Smell is nothing special, little bit of hops, mostly malt and honey.

Love the taste. Crisp, refreshing hops with a good balance of honey and caramel sweetness. Aftertaste is slightly bitter but mellow.

Good mouthfeel. Smooth and wet with a little fizzy burn around the edges and a good body. It feels thicker than it is.

I could drink this all night. This is a winter seasonal but it's not too heavy for spring or summer. I'm loving it with pork tacos at the moment but it would be better with a winter pot roast.

I'm not usually terribly impressed by new beers since I can't afford anything too fancy, but this was only $7 and it's one of my new favorites. I'm gonna buy it up before it disappears.

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

So the appearance...ya it looks pretty good i'd say. The smell....sweet with a hint of hops perhaps? Taste...a bit disappointing really. Not a lot going on. Mouthfeel a bit watery....but drinkable for sure. Give it a try, it might be right up your alley, plus the abv is not too high or too low, maybe even just right.

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

A: This beer had some pretty great lacing, and the head was fairly solid throughout and was a nice pure snow white. The beer itself was a bright golden color.

S: Smelled slightly of hops, but not overpowering at all.

T: The taste was a bit on the week side for me, but still slightly bitter, but great.

M: Fairly full for how thick it felt.

D: I'd rate it higher if it had a bigger taste to bring to my pallet.

Overall, good beer by Shiner. Best of luck in your findings.

-Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

First seasonal I've tried from Shiner so I poured this puppy into a 12 oz pint glass. It's light golden in color with has a completely transparent body. The head was light in color and dissipated quickly. The taste from the beer was a nice blend, kinda high on carbonation from what I could tell. I enjoyed the bite the beer had, it almost reminded me of an ipa. I thought it was a really good beer and more drinkable than most beers that shiner makes

3.51/5  rDev -3%

Pours a crystal clear golden color with active carbonation streaming up the glass and a thin head that subsides to the most meager collar of foam.

The smell and taste of Frost are pretty mild. It's light, crisp, and enjoyable. Not much in the way of hops, just enough to balance the flavor.

It's a very clean and drinkable beer. Generally I reach for something with more aggressive hops or more body, but as a smooth, sessionable lager this beer is a winner.

More interesting than the TX staple Shiner Bock. Frost would be a great gateway beer to the world of craft beer, or a nice change of pace for those looking for a light, straightforward lager that does a lot more tastewise than the macro staples.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into tulip pint glass.

A: Bright gold colored beer with surprisingly fluffy head that faded away and left nice lacing down the glass.

S: Biscuit, sweet and the typical Shiner metallic/grain smell. (Not a bad thing)

T: Crisp, clean. Not unlike Shiner Blonde but with a more pronounced sweetness and the aforementioned head.

M: Lots of carbonation fizz with dry finish.

D: Supremely drinkable. Very nice.

It's not going to give Great Lakes' Dortmunder a run for its money, but its a good beer ... and it's not like we can get Great Lakes in San Antonio anyway.

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

It's good beer yeah, it taste similar to Coors to me. i notice little or no hops but some malt. very attractive labeling and packaging. bought a dozen at HEB for 11.99 enjoyed them all they go quickly. not much more to say its frosty goodness from shiner texas. agree it may be a tad sweet if allowed to warm a bit.

2.33/5  rDev -35.6%

Well I was less than impressed with this beer... shame.

A - Once again, I drank this out of a bottle, so I can't give a fair assessment to the color. But the bubbles were pretty good, and left an adequate head. It dissipated quickly, but a thin ring lasted on the outside.

S - This had a muted aroma, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't much of anything. I usually take a waft before I drink a beer to just see what I'm getting into, but this one sort of gave me nothing.

T - This was the most disappointing part of the beer to me. It didn't have any sort of spice that I could tell. If it did, then they hid it very well. That is forgivable, maybe they didn't intend to make it like other winter beers, so they didn't try to add winter spices. But the after taste is really what made me want to stop drinking the beer. It just sort of had a bitter after taste that didn't make you want to take another sip.

M/D - This loses points due to the after taste. I was anticipating the after taste, so I was sort of trying to drink it faster and in bigger gulps to lessen the number of sips I had to take.

Bottom Line: I am a Texas guy, but I was not a fan of this brew. Maybe it is because we don't have harsh winters here, so we don't need beers to bring winter cheer. This beer needs to be reworked for next year. Only get this beer if you enjoy bitter biting after tastes.

-Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev +12.7%

A - gold with slight copper hue; slight white lace around glass

S - very malty, not much hop on the nose

T - sweet malt, don't get much hop flavor

M - dry

D - highly drinkable, great session beer

Overall, a good beer from Shiner, much better than their other xmas seasonal effot (the xmas beer, "cheer" is absolutely awful in my opinion). I'd buy and drink this again.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A - Gives a solid 1 inch white head. Nice golden color, especially when held up to the light. It leaves solid lacing all the way down the glass while drinking.

S - Not much there for me, but growing up in Texas has turned my nose into merely a decoration.

T - Surprisingly (and pleasantly) malty at first, finishes slightly bitter on the back of the tongue. The hops are there, but linger in the background.

M - Thin and crisp, but not watery.

D - Sessionable. The maltiness and the bitterness of this beer are both petty mellow, making an overall easy-drinking beer.

I wouldn't normally label this style of beer as being a Winter seasonal, but I'm pretty happy with it overall. I am a little disappointed to hear that it is replacing the Shiner Cheer, which was one of my favorite Shiner beers.

Shiner Fröst from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner