Shiner 101 Czech Style Pilsner - Spoetzl Brewery

pDev: 14%
Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Czech Pilsener |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: fjordhook on 01-29-2010)
3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

A- A very clear yellow liquid with a thin, white head that settles to a few thin splotches. Looks kind of dead after it settles down.

S- Toasted malt, white bread, and a hint of hoppiness. Kind of faint and not all that appealing.

T- Sweet malt, a bit of bread flavor, and a hop bite at the end. Not much here, even considering the style.

M- Smooth at first, but the carbonation comes in and gives a kick. Clean finish.

D- Not very interesting and pretty carbonated makes this not super drinkable and rather forgettable.

3.08/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: golden in color, three finger head lingers in pilz glass, minimal lacing, not as carbonated as I would expect.

Smell: light hop, mostly hay and malt, disappointing for a Czech Pilz.

Taste: mainly malt, not heavy on the saaz, hay, missing the hops.

Mouthfeel:carbnonation is okay on the tongue, adequate.

Drinkability: this is a decent beer, not my favorite beer of this style, I would prefer more saaz flavor. I wonder if Texas water is too hard for a Pilz as well? Maybe that has something to do with the taste? I probably wouldn't get again.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

Bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Picked up as a single on a beer run in WI.

A - Looks like a classic pilsner, but the head disappears like a typical macrobrew.
S - Not much here except a stale grain smell. Not off-putting, but nothing to get too excited about.
T & M - Pretty good taste of the style, carbonation just right and light aftertaste.
D - Good tasting brew, but I couldn't see buying a six pack.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured a clear golden yellow with a nice two fingered head leaving a nice lacing throughout the glass. Aromas of light grains and malts. Light on the palate with nice carbonation. Hints of a hoppy citrus finish. Good enough of a brew from the Lone Star State. Found it drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

Got ahold of one, the last one, found on a singles shelve. I thought i missed thisone so i grabbed it.

Pours a well carbonated yellow. Off-white head was nice only to settle and fade to a colar. Though the trail of lace was nice.

The aroma is of grass, earthy hay.

The taste carries that grassyness with pine. Little hop or malt to be found. The colder the beer, the better it crisps up.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin or watered.

Drinkability is there esp cold. I'd like the chance to get six in the summer. A hot day try-out seems in order.

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a lighter amber color with good clarity. It's darker than I expect from a Czech pilsner, though. The head is a two finger white shade with crappy retention - seriously I'm watching it fade away to nothing as we speak. Still, it leaves patchy rings of lacing on the glass.

S: About bang-on what I expect from the style, no more, no less - grassy hops, minimal maltiness, and a touch of diacetyl. Quite pleasant, though I kind of want a bit more hoppiness here.

T: The maltiness provides a touch of caramel at first: while it's a bit unbefitting of the style, it does help balance the mild hoppiness, along with the diacetyl note. I enjoy the touches of citrus I find in the flavor profile. Decent, but a bit lacking in flavor.

M: This is ridiculously clean and bone dry, but then again, that's what the style dictates. On the other hand, it's a bit too 'big' feeling on the back end - this makes it seem more substantial, but harms drinkability somewhat. Honestly, I could use a bit more carbonation.

O: It's alright. The weak flavor holds it back more than anything. To be fair, though, I like my Czech pilsners hopped to fuck and back, so I can't hold it against this brew too much. Don't think I'd buy it again (if it appeared in a 6-pack), though.

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

Purchased 6-pack... poured beer into pilsner glass.

A- Nice golden color with thick head. Mass amounts of carbonation visable.

S- Not an very strong smell. Hint of hop aroma

T- Taste was decent for a Czech Pils. The hops weren't overpowering, but there was a tinge in the water that was too noticeable. I believe the water was far too hard for a pilsner, but that is just my guess.

M- A lot of carbonation was present, but it was refreshing. The only downside is hard to explain, but I would attribute it to too much minerals in the water

D- Pretty drinkable, not the best, but for a hot spring day, the carbonation was right and I was able to put down a few easily.

Overall, this is by no means the best from Spoetzl. I have had almost all Shiner beer available in Ohio, and I am a pretty big fan, but this one was a let down. The other thing that I can't help but get past, is that I think I am underrating this a bit because I had a Sam Adams Noble Pils the other week, and that was just by far my favorite Sam Adams and I am using that, unfortunately, as a basis for comparison on other Pilsners... I have a few more left in my 6-pack which I AM looking forward to drinking, but it may be awhile until I come back to Shiner for a Pils

3.15/5  rDev -10%

Grabbed this one as part of a mixed sixer, probably because I enjoyed the smokehouse I had recently bought. If you compare this one to a BMC product, it is excellent. The light biscuity/hoppy aromas and flavors are far superior to the mass market versions. Compare it to a craft pilsner, and it fails. Whatever. It was only a buck and a half.

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into a pint glass I was looking forward to enjoying a great tasting Czech brew taking me back to my travels there where I learned that beer was more important than, well most things. The color was a nice straw yellow with a 1 finger white head that dissipated to nothing. There was a faint malt nose, but some bready yeast and light floral hops. The taste was clean and simple with nice barley and hop balance. Not a WOW brew though. Just plain and simple and maybe that is all they were going for. If so this one gets it, but I was expecting more from the style and in that it fell a bit short.

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into pilsner glass...

A: a golden brew, good clarity, with foamy white head that fades pretty slowly while leaving fluffy lacing

S: aromas of white sandwich bread crust with faint grassy, lemony hops.

T: clean, grainy flavor up front, fading into more breadcrust flavor, buttery with bitter grassy hops and lemon peel.

M: light body with a decent carbonation, finishes crisp and dry

Overall, this beer is on the fringe of being the everyday american lager that claims to be a pilsner, though the malts used are better, and there is a tad more hops(just a tad). Would be better if it were more bold. still drinkable, just not true to style.

3.21/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Pours a crystal clear toasted straw color. A few shades darker than your traditional pils. The white head is fluffy and slowly dissipates leaving some lacing on the glass.

The aroma is quite light. Slightly bready malt provides a sweet aroma and there is a touch of grassy hops. Overall, a bit weak for the style.

The flavor is light and dry. A cracker flavor from the pils malt but there is some depth from a breadier malt. The hops are light but grassy. A sweeter breadier pils basically.

The feel is light and crisp, very easy to drink. Good balance, good summer time brew.

Not the most flavorful pils but no off flavors. Again, easy drinking brew.

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

Shiner rarely puts out a bad product, this is no exception. This is a pilsner so don't expect to blown away with flavor but it is pretty good. From a glass, decent head, not much nose, nice aftertaste.

If we were rating bottle lable design, this would get an A in my opinion.

Shiner 101 Czech Style Pilsner from Spoetzl Brewery