Shiner Oktoberfest - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: OverToad on 08-01-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Oktoberfest Alström Bros

JeffWorcester, Sep 09, 2012

bmcduff2, Jan 24, 2012

Annette_Esperanza, Nov 10, 2012

autumnnakamura, Aug 22, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -60.8%

Appearance: A dark copper color, exactly what i'd expect from a Oktoberfest. Some head on the edges of the glass, and a little bit over the surface of the beer. I'm not disappointed by the appearance of this beer.

Smell: No so much flavor as i'd expect from an Oktoberfest. Alcohol is evident on the smell. This beer sort of just smells like a bud heavy or most generic light beers.

Taste: Very bitter. Not very much flavor, just alot of alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, and medium thickness. These don't match each other very well. This beer isn't match up well against other Oktoberfest.

Overall: Is this an Oktoberfest or a regular domestic american brew?

Fergyx825, Sep 06, 2013

ange1, Feb 04, 2012

jmccullough108, Oct 26, 2013

J_Dub, Apr 22, 2013

tigrstylz, Jan 20, 2012

what a big disappiontment somebody told they like this so i had to try it wow big time bad and ok color with a taste like an old sock nothing more to say but stay away from this one

wac9, Yesterday at 02:45 PM

grubefresh, Jan 02, 2012

garyford, Feb 14, 2012

UncleAddie, Aug 25, 2012

Monkeypuker, Dec 24, 2013

RaggaD, Oct 19, 2013

dubmax, Jul 26, 2012
2.09/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I really hate to give a Shiner product such a low score but this beer is just awful, I was very disappointed since Shiner tend to brew quality brews. The beer pours a nice caramel color with a hint of sugary malts, and it goes downhill from there. The beer tastes very strange, like it is stale or overly sugared. It is sweet and pungent at the same time. It leaves a horrible dirty aftertaste in your mouth and I literally could get only one person to drink one in its entirety. The first time Shiner has let me down, but I am still a fan nonetheless, just steer clear of this bad brew.

ronniebruner, Sep 07, 2013
2.17/5  rDev -34.6%

I'm not the biggest fan of Shiner and I think that's going to show through in this review. A friend brought a 6 pack over for the OU/UT football game and I'm sad to say that the game was more depressing than the beer... and the friend couldn't even finish her bottle. Not a good day for football.

I wanted to hate on the appearance because of the negative experience I had with the beer yesterday, but this actually looks ok-ish. Strikingly clear golden body. 2-finger bone white head that forms after a vigorous-as-possible pour... but it stays around longer than I would have guessed.

The smell takes me a few sniffs to really get (I've got a bit of a cold... and it's just not that powerful). There's a mix of Munich and caramel grains in there. There's also a very slight noble hop presence. Unfortunately, there's also a grainy mustiness that I don't find that inviting.

The taste is... medicore. Maybe worse. Some slight graininess that reminds me of other Octoberfests. However, it ends in a dirty and vegetal manner. Not appetizing. This beer is a boring take on the style that manages to finish in an offputting way. I might drink another bottle of the free 6 pack... but I kind of doubt it.

UTCengOwl, Oct 09, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -34.6%

Had on tap at McGees in Lincoln Park.

Pretty weak effort for a brewery I like in my favorite style. Pours a clearish golden orange, much lighter than most Märzens I've had. Smell is sort of malty and thin with some metal.

Flavor is too thin. Not enough malt and too many hops for the style.

Disappointing.

JonB1958, Sep 03, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a cooperish color with very little head and little carbonation. Had a very hoppish smell. The taste was rather disappointing. Tasted too hoppy and bitter to be a good marzen. I had tried at the GABF and it tasted better there - but I was buzzing pretty hard at that point. Nice try but not gonna find a home in my beer fridge.

TexIndy, Oct 27, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -32.2%

Pour- A lighter copper than I was expecting for an Oktoberfest. Very small white head, which is quick to go.

Smell- Nothing too outstanding, like a good malty sweetness. Instead I'm smelling low amounts of malt with somewhat drowned out spices

Taste- Taste how it smells. Real watery for an Oktoberfest, lacking character. It's carbonation seems a bit too much, or maybe I'm just thinking miller light when I drink it. Malt is there, but its at the end of the taste. I like an Oktoberfest to be malty throughout my taste..

Overall - I was a bit disappointed. I bought a six of this and a six of real ale's Oktoberfest( a little texan comparison). It was night and day. It's an Oktoberfest that needs a bit more attention before I'd buy again. The Shiner's Oktoberfest will go to a party, the Real Ale's will stay with me ;)

Cheers