Shiner Oktoberfest - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: OverToad on 08-01-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Oktoberfest Alström Bros
JeffWorcester

Annette_Esperanza

11-10-2012 23:00:26 | More by Annette_Esperanza
Fergyx825

1.3/5  rDev -61%

Appearance: A dark copper color, exactly what i'd expect from a Oktoberfest. Some head on the edges of the glass, and a little bit over the surface of the beer. I'm not disappointed by the appearance of this beer.

Smell: No so much flavor as i'd expect from an Oktoberfest. Alcohol is evident on the smell. This beer sort of just smells like a bud heavy or most generic light beers.

Taste: Very bitter. Not very much flavor, just alot of alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, and medium thickness. These don't match each other very well. This beer isn't match up well against other Oktoberfest.

Overall: Is this an Oktoberfest or a regular domestic american brew?

09-06-2013 05:58:06 | More by Fergyx825

Kansas

07-26-2012 00:06:37 | More by dubmax
ronniebruner

2.09/5  rDev -37.2%

I really hate to give a Shiner product such a low score but this beer is just awful, I was very disappointed since Shiner tend to brew quality brews. The beer pours a nice caramel color with a hint of sugary malts, and it goes downhill from there. The beer tastes very strange, like it is stale or overly sugared. It is sweet and pungent at the same time. It leaves a horrible dirty aftertaste in your mouth and I literally could get only one person to drink one in its entirety. The first time Shiner has let me down, but I am still a fan nonetheless, just steer clear of this bad brew.

09-07-2013 07:16:44 | More by ronniebruner
UTCengOwl

2.17/5  rDev -34.8%

I'm not the biggest fan of Shiner and I think that's going to show through in this review. A friend brought a 6 pack over for the OU/UT football game and I'm sad to say that the game was more depressing than the beer... and the friend couldn't even finish her bottle. Not a good day for football.

I wanted to hate on the appearance because of the negative experience I had with the beer yesterday, but this actually looks ok-ish. Strikingly clear golden body. 2-finger bone white head that forms after a vigorous-as-possible pour... but it stays around longer than I would have guessed.

The smell takes me a few sniffs to really get (I've got a bit of a cold... and it's just not that powerful). There's a mix of Munich and caramel grains in there. There's also a very slight noble hop presence. Unfortunately, there's also a grainy mustiness that I don't find that inviting.

The taste is... medicore. Maybe worse. Some slight graininess that reminds me of other Octoberfests. However, it ends in a dirty and vegetal manner. Not appetizing. This beer is a boring take on the style that manages to finish in an offputting way. I might drink another bottle of the free 6 pack... but I kind of doubt it.

10-09-2011 21:29:01 | More by UTCengOwl
JonB1958

2.17/5  rDev -34.8%

Had on tap at McGees in Lincoln Park.

Pretty weak effort for a brewery I like in my favorite style. Pours a clearish golden orange, much lighter than most Märzens I've had. Smell is sort of malty and thin with some metal.

Flavor is too thin. Not enough malt and too many hops for the style.

Disappointing.

09-03-2011 21:20:33 | More by JonB1958
TexIndy

2.23/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a cooperish color with very little head and little carbonation. Had a very hoppish smell. The taste was rather disappointing. Tasted too hoppy and bitter to be a good marzen. I had tried at the GABF and it tasted better there - but I was buzzing pretty hard at that point. Nice try but not gonna find a home in my beer fridge.

10-26-2005 23:54:13 | More by TexIndy
LeafCutter

2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

Pour- A lighter copper than I was expecting for an Oktoberfest. Very small white head, which is quick to go.

Smell- Nothing too outstanding, like a good malty sweetness. Instead I'm smelling low amounts of malt with somewhat drowned out spices

Taste- Taste how it smells. Real watery for an Oktoberfest, lacking character. It's carbonation seems a bit too much, or maybe I'm just thinking miller light when I drink it. Malt is there, but its at the end of the taste. I like an Oktoberfest to be malty throughout my taste..

Overall - I was a bit disappointed. I bought a six of this and a six of real ale's Oktoberfest( a little texan comparison). It was night and day. It's an Oktoberfest that needs a bit more attention before I'd buy again. The Shiner's Oktoberfest will go to a party, the Real Ale's will stay with me ;)

Cheers

10-05-2011 20:43:36 | More by LeafCutter
Zorro

2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a clear honey with a splash of orange colored beer. Head is tan and only lasts an instant.

Smell is sweet and fairly malty. Detectable toasted Munich malt scent and a bit bready. All the proper scents are here but it seems a bit watered down.

Taste is off. Flavor is harsh with a biting level of carbonation and a candy like malt that does not pair very well to the high hop bitterness. Hops are herbal in flavor and this brew leaves lingering malt sweetness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is biting.

Not a drinkable beer here. From the moment you taste this it is like something biting your tongue. This beer is seriously unbalanced it needs to be reformulated completely.

11-13-2005 07:52:58 | More by Zorro