Shiner Oktoberfest - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: OverToad on 08-01-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Oktoberfest Alström Bros

dubmax, Jul 26, 2012

jmhagan88, Tuesday at 11:36 PM

OSURoss, Oct 04, 2014
2.09/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I really hate to give a Shiner product such a low score but this beer is just awful, I was very disappointed since Shiner tend to brew quality brews. The beer pours a nice caramel color with a hint of sugary malts, and it goes downhill from there. The beer tastes very strange, like it is stale or overly sugared. It is sweet and pungent at the same time. It leaves a horrible dirty aftertaste in your mouth and I literally could get only one person to drink one in its entirety. The first time Shiner has let me down, but I am still a fan nonetheless, just steer clear of this bad brew.

ronniebruner, Sep 07, 2013
2.17/5  rDev -34.8%

I'm not the biggest fan of Shiner and I think that's going to show through in this review. A friend brought a 6 pack over for the OU/UT football game and I'm sad to say that the game was more depressing than the beer... and the friend couldn't even finish her bottle. Not a good day for football.

I wanted to hate on the appearance because of the negative experience I had with the beer yesterday, but this actually looks ok-ish. Strikingly clear golden body. 2-finger bone white head that forms after a vigorous-as-possible pour... but it stays around longer than I would have guessed.

The smell takes me a few sniffs to really get (I've got a bit of a cold... and it's just not that powerful). There's a mix of Munich and caramel grains in there. There's also a very slight noble hop presence. Unfortunately, there's also a grainy mustiness that I don't find that inviting.

The taste is... medicore. Maybe worse. Some slight graininess that reminds me of other Octoberfests. However, it ends in a dirty and vegetal manner. Not appetizing. This beer is a boring take on the style that manages to finish in an offputting way. I might drink another bottle of the free 6 pack... but I kind of doubt it.

UTCengOwl, Oct 09, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -34.8%

Had on tap at McGees in Lincoln Park.

Pretty weak effort for a brewery I like in my favorite style. Pours a clearish golden orange, much lighter than most Märzens I've had. Smell is sort of malty and thin with some metal.

Flavor is too thin. Not enough malt and too many hops for the style.

Disappointing.

JonB1958, Sep 03, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -33%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a cooperish color with very little head and little carbonation. Had a very hoppish smell. The taste was rather disappointing. Tasted too hoppy and bitter to be a good marzen. I had tried at the GABF and it tasted better there - but I was buzzing pretty hard at that point. Nice try but not gonna find a home in my beer fridge.

TexIndy, Oct 27, 2005
2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

Pour- A lighter copper than I was expecting for an Oktoberfest. Very small white head, which is quick to go.

Smell- Nothing too outstanding, like a good malty sweetness. Instead I'm smelling low amounts of malt with somewhat drowned out spices

Taste- Taste how it smells. Real watery for an Oktoberfest, lacking character. It's carbonation seems a bit too much, or maybe I'm just thinking miller light when I drink it. Malt is there, but its at the end of the taste. I like an Oktoberfest to be malty throughout my taste..

Overall - I was a bit disappointed. I bought a six of this and a six of real ale's Oktoberfest( a little texan comparison). It was night and day. It's an Oktoberfest that needs a bit more attention before I'd buy again. The Shiner's Oktoberfest will go to a party, the Real Ale's will stay with me ;)

Cheers

LeafCutter, Oct 05, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

Pours a clear honey with a splash of orange colored beer. Head is tan and only lasts an instant.

Smell is sweet and fairly malty. Detectable toasted Munich malt scent and a bit bready. All the proper scents are here but it seems a bit watered down.

Taste is off. Flavor is harsh with a biting level of carbonation and a candy like malt that does not pair very well to the high hop bitterness. Hops are herbal in flavor and this brew leaves lingering malt sweetness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is biting.

Not a drinkable beer here. From the moment you taste this it is like something biting your tongue. This beer is seriously unbalanced it needs to be reformulated completely.

Zorro, Nov 13, 2005

NJBeer265, Aug 30, 2014

Smileitsfreetobehappy, Sep 16, 2014

cwreay90, Nov 29, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

I continue to drink all of "Shiners" beers in hopes to find a good one. I may just be done drinking them after this, we'll see...

Appearance-A lighter copper body with a one finger off white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell-Pale Malts, some light caramel notes. Very subtle pumpkin spice, but nothing too exciting.

Taste-Just fucking bland as shit. Has the components of an octoberfest but it's just bland, watery, and horrible.

Mouthfeel-Very light, as expected. Medium carbination.

Overall-It just angers me that they keep putting out shitty beers and that idiots like me keep buying them(But at least they're singles). Don't purchase this crap.

SWMeyer4141, Sep 27, 2011

M_chav, Sep 21, 2014

Rozyravens, Apr 15, 2012
2.32/5  rDev -30.3%

rusty3335, Yesterday at 09:17 PM
2.33/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let me preface by stating I love marzens, but pale imitators I don't dig. Having said that, this is still an upward spike in good beer for the lone star state. (only place where I almost saw a riot when they ran out of miller lite.)

pours an impressive white head that drops off quickly with some slight lace trails. Beautiful honey to amber clarity.

Smell: Diadactheyl (sp??) and some unnnatural smell that reminds me of glycol??

Taste: Astringent and grainy and a caramell sweetness, that just doesn't work for me. Doesn't taste all malt to me/(Better than lite)

mouthfeel: thin with some hop bitterness that's out of balance. Prickly over carbonation

Drinkability: Showed a litlle promise, but didn't deliver, might be okay Ice cold.

russpowell, Nov 05, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -28.5%

A: The beer looks great! Its a light orange color, visible carbonation, perfectly clear, and a fluffy cloud-like head but with no visible lacing.

S: Not much at all on the nose except a distinct bread-like aroma.

T: Big bread notes on the palate, however, again that is all I get. I pick up a few nuances that weren't in the smell: earthy hops, almost a tad floral-like, maybe a light roasted note too. Doesn't taste much better than it smells. It isn't offensive, however.

M: Lighter body than expected, moderately carbonated, and over-all somewhat slick. Its not DMS, but there is this buttery slickness that I don't care for.

D: It is quite drinkable despite it's flaws, but because of it's flaws I wouldn't drink this one again.. ever.

tlazaroff, Sep 14, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -27.3%

12 oz brown twist off bottle.

It pours an orange/amber with a fizzy white head that quickly dissipates with no lace. A very unworthy appearance for this beer style.

The smell is weak, there is some caramel and nuttiness but not much.

The flavor is very odd. It is a mix of helles lager and some other flavor. I can't pinpoint it, almost like raw leaf. The hops in this one are terrible. There is a cutting sweetness that also isn't appealing.

The mouthfeel isn't that bad, but it isn't that great, this beer jsut confuses me with its mediocrity.

crossovert, Sep 06, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -27.3%

About what I expected from Shiner on this....very basic...mild toasted caramel impression....otherwise pretty basic....too much carbonation...a bit fizzy....thinish feel bodywise...an odd aftertaste that is hard to shake.

I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but this is one of the poorer ofests I have had....makes Leinie's OFest look like an all-time great (which it isn't)

ZAP, Sep 06, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -27.3%

Chaz wouldn't let me buy this one, over at Surdyk's, and instead got me a sample from the back room. And this is a guy who loves the Polish beers, so...who knows what's really in store?

Clear, pale amber appearance; slim, whitish head.

Soft, malty aroma...actually, more vegetal than anything else. And all-in-all flat.

Taste: a mess in the mouth, a convoluted collection of oddments, and none of them too pleasant. A hotness at the front, a glimmer of malt that fades off the palate, a faint flurry of hops that, too, dies in a quick. If they meant to make a marzen, the malt's too lean, and the balance way out of wack. It's nothing you could call complex, just a ...a trainwreck. Cooked veggies dominates the flavor, and that's not good.

Medium-ish body, long, yet unhappy finish. A struggles to get the entire contents down the throat. Eh...why bother, time to trade this in for a better brew.

Thanks to Chaz for saving me six bucks!

feloniousmonk, Oct 07, 2005
2.45/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured a crystal clear amber with an orange tint. An off-white bubbly head that clung to the glass producing a nice webbing effect. It looked promising.(poured this at temp 43F into a flared pilsner)

S: if I was blind folded I would have guessed this was a pilsner or some other style of lager.

T: right off the bat this tasted a lot like an adjunct lager. Where is the Oktoberfest taste? There is a somewhat sweet caramel malt flavor, but I had to go hunting for it. No real hop profile to speak of; there was a slight paleness to it. The taste was comparable to a Warsteiner Dunkel only not as pronounced.

M/F: it wasn't much different from the average adjunct lager. Over carbonated. It left a metallic aftertaste when I drank it from a glass.

D: it was fairly easy to drink. For the price I paid for a 6pck I can't complain too much.

Conclusion: what is with Shiner and its metallic twang aftertaste? I want to like their beer, but they make it so difficult. I have concluded that Shiner should be drank straight from the bottle. To me it cuts down on the metallic aftertaste. The beer actually performs better if it stays in the bottle. Overall not the best example of an Oktoberfest beer.

LacquerHead, Sep 03, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a crystal clear amber with an off white head. Head has pretty solid retention and leaves some nice layered lacing.

S- There was hardly anything going on here. Just a bit of bready malts.

T- Again pretty weak. Not really any hops. A bit of a corny, and bready malts taste. A bit of a metallic taste here too.

M- Medium in body and quite a bit of carbonation going on.

O- Not impressed with this one at all. A lot better ones out there I'll stick with them.

nrbw23, Sep 14, 2011