Shiner Dortmunder (Spring Ale) - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner Dortmunder (Spring Ale)Shiner Dortmunder (Spring Ale)

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: welldigger888 on 01-18-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Dortmunder (Spring Ale) Alström Bros
1.33/5  rDev -61.9%

I gave this beer low marks due to the phenolic stale taste. There was no hops flavor to speak of and something was definitely off about this beer. I have contacted Shiner with the pertinent info and am waiting their reply. This may be a bad bottle from the distributor or the brewery. The best that I can describe this initial tasting is as undrinkable. Appearance: beautiful clear golden color Smell: no smell except phenolic Taste : overpoweringingly musty, stale. Body : nice head but... (490 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -27.2%

purchased from Quick six mt rose in York. Poured chilled from the 12oz brown bottle into a pils glass.

The clarity and color are good with tarnished golden shade and thick cream cap which is slightly rocky with vibrantly carbonated appearance. The cap is about 1 inch thick and has good retention, lace sticks well. The smell has some vegetal and dms odor w/ grainy and toasted accent w/ yeasty bready odor. The nose is not terrible, but doesn't really seem too inviting either. The feel is decent with light toasted grain and creamy smooth slick feel with subtle spice from hops and semi-dry finish, only a tinge of sweetness in the feel and bit lighter bodied than I expected -perhaps the carbonation level is presenting that way.

The flavor has a little to much slickness to start with some toasted malt and husky grainy flavors which seem to give the impression of adjuncts with not much depth of malt. The vegetal elements and slight sweet middle w/ hops that relax pretty soon after the initial taste. From midpoint on the flavor becomes more grainy and hints of metallic vegetal become more noticeable with a sweet finish. Overall I was dissapointed in this since I am a fan of the dortmunder style and wish more American brewers had one in the portfolio, but this is lackluster at best and one I will not purchase again. (1,332 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

The taste was average, which is better than most Shiner beers.

The appearance was nothing impressive. The smell and mouthfeel were both typical of a Shiner Beer

I haven't tried any other spring beers. This one is passable for something I'd bring to a party, though. (267 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Clear golden color with a one figure fluffy white head. Light floral hop flavor with a light pale malt aroma. Starts off ok with a mixture of hops and pale malts but then gives way to a metallic flavor. Not impressed with this one at all. Mouthfeel is light with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall not the greatest beer. I'll take Great Lakes Dortmunder over this all day every day. A bit of a metallic taste and isn't as clean and crisp as I'd like. I love well crafted lagers but this one falls short, that being said it is drinkable at least. (586 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Isn't anyone else bothered that this is an ale instead of a lager?

A: Pours a deep copper color with a two-finger fluffy white head that leaves good lacing as it slowly fades.

S: I actually like the smell of this, but it's very much an English ale rather than a Dortmunder lager. Very rich honey malt overlaid with ripe apple.

T: Very malty. Rich biscuity malt with ample esters. A fantastic (English) ale. Lacks the crispness the Dortmunder lager style requires.

M: Nicely full-bodied with good carbonation.

O: This is a very nice ale, but if I look at it from the point of view of a Dortmunder, it comes up short. It has a very rich palate of ale esters that make it very drinkable. Just don't call it a Dortmunder, please. (734 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured a light yellow with a centimeter head that remained for a surprisingly long time. The beer flavour was imparted mostly by the hops, but it wasn't over-powering. It had a very slight pine, but mostly citrusy taste. It even seemed to have a tiny apricot note to it. It wasn't particularly bitter. It was too much hop flavour for me since I'm not a fan of hops, but even so it was all right. I didn't get any biscuity malt flavour that's supposed to be an element of this style, so perhaps the citrusy hop flavour was stronger than it should have been. (556 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance : Dark yellowish close to golden

Smell : Bready and grainy, strong hops smell

Taste: Hoppy and bitter but surprising travels smoothly down the throat.

Mouthfeel : Strong after-taste but quickly disappears. Tangy and bitter.

Overall : Surprising experience. Wouldn't be a first choice to recommend to friends but would drink it if I was invited to one. (366 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -20.6%

I'm curious as to whether or not this is just Shiner Fröst relabeled.  This Dortmunder is grassy and sweet.  The mouth-feel is medium with medium carbonation.  I wish I had some Shiner Fröst here to compare it to, but, I don't. Im at my favoritve bar and they are corrently out of it. If this is indeed the same beer as Shiner Fröst, I must say, I don't like it as much.  Shiner Spring Ale Dortmunder seems to have some adjunct-y flavor that comes through, especially towards the end of each sip.  It also seems sweeter than I remember Shiner Fröst being, but perhaps my palate has changed, or this particular pint is not up to snuff.  The Adjunct-i-ness is the most disturbing part for me as it adds a dirtiness to the flavor of this beer that I do not appreciate. That being said everyone is different and if your a shiner man you sholuld try it. (858 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

A: The beer pours a copper body with a thin white head that quickly fades. The beer leaves a tiny amount of lace on the glass too.

S: A nice amount of malt and has your typical "lager" style smell. Nothing special at all.

T: The taste isnt bad, but there also really isnt much there. For sure some grain, some corn style taste and even a tiny bit of weird chocolate.

M: Now this to me is my favorite part of the beer. It is super easy to drink and has a nice amount of crispness.

O: I am not very fond of this beer, like most of the boring Shiner beers. It is decent, but not worth the money I spent on it. Just a pretty boring beer to me. (645 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a mug.

A: Clear, medium golden color with one finger of diminishing white foam head. No lacing remains in the glass and a sheet of energetic bubbles climb in the column.

S: Refined malt is raw and sweet, standing out alongside understated floral and exotic Asian-spiced hops. A trace of diacetyl may be present.

T: Begins off-dry, with malt that is plain and simple at first, and mild spicy hop aromatics. Acidity is also mild into the middle where bigger herbaceous hop flavors emerge, slightly floral, combining with the neutral malt to suggest dried hay and a whiff of fruit punch. Bitterness develops in the second act, offering a minor presence until the downturn of the finish. Malt turns bready toward the finish before dropping off again.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, slightly syrupy and a little dead on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This American-brewed lager represents an unusual style for a domestic beer, but it fails to distinguish itself as such. Malt seems not so much like an apology as just a fumble, unremarkably executed. This could be a Dortmunder, or five other Euro-style lagers; without a more accomplished malt expression, it is destined to bounce around splitting time between categories. In the final tally, it's a difficult beer to get very excited about. (1,336 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

A bubbly and effervescent beer with a clear orangish gold hue. A moderate pour produced two fingers of head which quickly subsided. Smells of biscuity malt a touch of hops and a hint of adjuncts. I think I smell corn. Fairly unimpressive taste, malt was lack luster and thin, hops made no appearance, and adjuncts definitely come through. On the bright side served cold it is light and refreshing and absolutely a step above BMC but IMO not much more than average American lager. Mouthfeel is heavy which is unusual considering this is a light beer and there is an odd metallic finish. I also expected more carbonation. On the whole pretty average if it was a dollar cheap for a sixer I'd say go for it but at $7.75 you're not missing anything. (744 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -18.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden honey color with great clarity. The head is a decent looking one finger offwhite shade. Nice texture and lacing.

S: Earthy minerals and a tiny hint of citrus. Certainly not an evocative aroma - but to be fair, the bottle is far older than it should be.

T: There's a lot of fruit punch-like sweetness not just on the opening flavors, but in general. Maybe it's just the way the earthy hops interact with the caramel malts, but this is a dead ringer for Hawaiian Punch flavor-wise. I'm noticing a whiff of staleness in the malts/hops; expected given its age.

M: Light and crisp, but perhaps a bit too sweet on the palate. A bit of finishing dryness would go a long way to cleaning up the mouthfeel some, but the syrupy profile does conceal the potent carbonation somewhat.

O: Eh, it could have been worse given the circumstances (a 10 month old 6 pack of a not-so-highly-rated beer), so I'll give it benefit of the doubt. Still a plain and uninspired offering. (1,013 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Straw gold, decent head, but only light lace.

Sweet and malty nose, with hints of honey and yeast. The supposed hops presence isn't there.

Disappointing taste. Like an American adjunct/light lager, with no snappiness or crispness. Maybe my bottle was bad? Absolutely nothing special. (285 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I would have to view this as nothing more than average; frankly, it doesn't stand out to me at all. The colour is quite rich and it is smooth, but besides that, it isn't anything too special. There was practically no head, and very little carbonation. I suppose for the price I paid I shouldn't have expected it to be too outstanding. Overall I'll give it a bit above average. (376 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -16.6%

App: good nearly amber color, however a bit clouded. Nice with a plesent head

Smell: Yeasty and a little bitter but nice. Penetrates the nose

Taste/MF: smooth but no real good bight. Slight hoppy after taste. A bit tickish but not what I expected

Overall: Too weak for my palet but not a bad brew. Seemed a bit watery if you ask me (334 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -16.3%

A- Ineffective use of a bottle opener (twist top) forced some spillover before pouring this sunset hazy brew into a DeGroen pint glass.

S - wheat, grass, cloves

T - Sugar cane, sour, ginger. Well balanced but thin. Mild start and short finish. Don't see this style as a refreshing spring ale nor this version as anything too exciting

M - sweet and sour. Nice lightly carbonation

Maybe the twist top makes it easy access for yard work (437 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -14.9%

I picked up a six pack on a whim since I'm a fan of Spoetzl having been converted by their Bock years back.

I will have to preface this with the fact that I've never had a Dortmunder before this.

It poured a clear, dark yellow with a half a finger of head,
the aroma was of yeast and malt.
Some lacing.

Taste was lighter than I expected. Clean and crip, can taste the malts and a hoppy finish that avoids bitterness.

It wasn't bad but it reminded me of an american macro brew. Yeah, it was a beer but mostly just ... there and ultimately forgettable. It may just be that this isn't my style of beer. (603 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

A - Golden straw color with a light off white head that disappears almost immediately.

S - A bit of grain and biscuit malt.

T - Some more biscuit malt, grain, lightly sweet and just a hint of a hop bite.

M - Slightly crisp, bubbly, and a bit dry. Decent weight overall.

D - Not bad. Nothing offensive and certainly sessionable.

Not bad, but not great. Pretty one-note, but maybe that's all you want in a light spring seasonal. I only bought a single of this though, and I can't really imagine buying any more. Decent but forgettable. (538 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -12.3%

I am not sure why this is labeled as a spring ale if it truly is a dortmunder lager. Anyways here is my review:

Appearance- golden in color with no head and slight lacing.

Smell- smells of grains and cereal.

Taste- light slightly sweet taste.

Mouthful-rolls around the mouth with a slightly watered down flavor.

Drinkability- could easily drink more than one of these but I am not sure I would want to. (411 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a medium pale gold, with a nice big head, that settles down to a quarter inch layer of foam leaving a nice amount of lacing behind. Aroma is pleasan\t, but lacks both strong hops and malt character. Taste is a bit too understated, though does have some enjoyable hops notes, but no real malt backbone to be found. Mouthfeel is very smooth, but a little too thin for my liking. Overall, not a bad beer at all, especially considering the price point. I would not however call this a standout example of the style. (517 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear dark gold color with an inch off-white head that sticked around for a little while. There's also a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. The brew smells like bready malt and fruit (apricots?). It tastes like bready/grainy malt, dried fruit, and a bit of herbal hops. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit syrupy with moderate carbonation. Overall it's not a bad brew at all. I bought this as a single bottle so I could try it. Not sure if I'd buy a 6 pack of this or not, but I would try this again in the future. (581 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light hazed golden orange color. One finger white head shows poor retention. Some spotty lacing on the sides of the glass when I drink this down.

S- Sweet pear like notes with a ton of cereal grains. Some sweet malts play hand in hand with the alcohol at the end.

T- Sweet alcohol right in the front end with a malty tone. Some grassy notes and lemon like flavor on the backend of the front of the beer. Middle of the beer is more of the bready malts. The backend of the beer is interesting as the pear taste comes out in full force. Grassy hops in the ending with a light skunked grain flavor.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Watery on the backend of the mouthfeel. Sweet malts left on the palate. Aftertaste is alcohol, sweet pear, and light skunked hops. Flavors were pretty well balanced I thought overall. No real off flavors but you can tell there is something "off" with the overall beer. Light drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- The lower ABV on this beer makes it a good multi-drinker. The flavors are a little off but it doesn't make it a bad beer. Nothing too terrible and I would love to have another one if given the chance. (1,216 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a dark copper color with a thick layer of soft, foamy, creamy head that has great retention. The nose is caramelly and lightly musty. The flavor is caramelly and sweet up front followed by a mild bitterness that is earthy and grassy. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, smooth, and well carbonated.

This isn't a bad beer. It's drinkable and refreshing, but it's not incredibly flavorful and a bit too sweet. I'll probably pass in the future. (453 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

Served from bottle into a shaker. Poured yellow-orange with a minimal white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, nutty, wheat, and grain. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, nutty, grain, and fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was an average brew. The aroma on this one was unfortunately a little lackluster in my personal opinion. However, the flavor was not too bad and was quite refreshing. I could probably drink this one again if given to me, but doubt I could see myself going out and buying a 6-pack on my own. (615 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours out a bright light copper color, like a shiny copper pot. A finger of white foam tops off the liquid.

S- Smells malty, honey, cornmeal, white grape skins. It starts off nice, but does get more corny as it warms up which is not an attractive aspect for this beer.

T- In the taste the honey and vinous aspects come out more with some floral characteristics. Some earthy bitterness, like collard greens on the back of the tongue.

M- It's odd how this beer is both bitter and fairly sweet, but these don't really balance each other leading to a schizophrenic beer.

O- A good beer for drinking in front of the tube, and the honey taste does lead my mind to spring. So I'll take it. (689 characters)

Shiner Dortmunder (Spring Ale) from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner