Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Reviews: 236 | Hads: 1,127
Reviews by jeffack:
3.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew. (655 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

This is my "mowing the lawn" beer.. or admiring the lawn after I pay someone else to do it... it's freakin hot in Texas. Easy to love. (136 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

2.6/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all! (633 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden reddish pour -- head quickly dissipates, no lacing -- l like some head and lacing so this was a sore spot for my tastes
Smell: fruity as expected, no problem
Taste: l liked it a lot -- the grapefruit and carbonation resembled a Fresca, my fave soda
Mouthfeel: ok, very drinkable due to carbonation and low alcohol content
Overall: done in by no head. Sam Adams Summer Ale still the summer beer of choice (422 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -29.5%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this. (609 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a Samuel Adams tasting glass. The label lists the abv at 4.01% and it also gives a nice description of the beer.

Appearance: The body is very clear and light to medium amber in color. It head is off white and quick fading despite a very active carbonation flowing up though the beer. After the first sip the head has completely disappeared and subsequently there is no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The aroma is light overall. I get some dry spicy gingerbread notes standing out over light grainy maltiness.

Taste / Palate: The flavor starts with a light grainy base malt with notes of ginger and mild white peppercorn. Very mild notes of tart grapefruit like citrus move in and lead into the dry snappy finnish. Hop favor seems very subdued but very complimentary to the Ruby Red grapefruit juice and it definitely adds to the dryness. The palate feels light and quite lively. (943 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -27.9%

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

what an interesting color for a beer was happy to see this on tap the person next to me drying it and it looked like a sparkling wine

this aroma smells just like a citrus fruit but underneath that there is that beer smell if that makes any sense

I drank two of them and I'm glad I did it was almost like a breakfast drink I will have more if I see it (353 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

3.11/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle, w/o freshness info

Pours hazed medium amber with very minimal head. No film,collar,lace...nothing.

Lite grapefruit on the nose, with a hint of caramel.

Taste up front is sort of an artificial, bordering on plastic infused fruitiness. Perhaps some grapefruit, but mostly nasty and artificial tasting.

Ok on a very hot day is about the best I can say (371 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

2.8/5  rDev -10.3%

3.16/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a white head. The first thing I get in the aroma is some ginger, but I then get some grapefruit notes. The flavor is more of the same. I get some slightly tart grapefruit, ginger and bready malt. Refreshing. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a great beer, but this is better than some other Shiner beers. (363 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner