Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
Reviews by omnigrits:
3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a straight pint glass.

A. Kind of an orange-amber colour with no head and plenty of rising bubbles.

S. Not bad - some ginger spice and plenty of citrus. A bit grainy too I think.

T. I'm getting much less grapefruit in the taste than I did in the nose, and much more ginger, but the spice is still relatively subdued and not overpowering. I can feel it more than taste it.

M. Kinda thin and watery. Lots of prickly carbonation... or is that the ginger?

O. I could definitely see me drinking a couple of these on a sweltering, baking Texas day in July or August. For all its faults it's a pretty good thirst quencher. Put a pint of Live Oak Pilz next to this though... no contest.

I'm always interested to see what Shiner come up with - sometimes it's a winner, sometimes not. I go with thumbs up for this one.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

This is my "mowing the lawn" beer.. or admiring the lawn after I pay someone else to do it... it's freakin hot in Texas. Easy to love.

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

2.3/5  rDev -27.7%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all!

3.83/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden reddish pour -- head quickly dissipates, no lacing -- l like some head and lacing so this was a sore spot for my tastes
Smell: fruity as expected, no problem
Taste: l liked it a lot -- the grapefruit and carbonation resembled a Fresca, my fave soda
Mouthfeel: ok, very drinkable due to carbonation and low alcohol content
Overall: done in by no head. Sam Adams Summer Ale still the summer beer of choice

2.13/5  rDev -33%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this.

3.6/5  rDev +13.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a Samuel Adams tasting glass. The label lists the abv at 4.01% and it also gives a nice description of the beer.

Appearance: The body is very clear and light to medium amber in color. It head is off white and quick fading despite a very active carbonation flowing up though the beer. After the first sip the head has completely disappeared and subsequently there is no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The aroma is light overall. I get some dry spicy gingerbread notes standing out over light grainy maltiness.

Taste / Palate: The flavor starts with a light grainy base malt with notes of ginger and mild white peppercorn. Very mild notes of tart grapefruit like citrus move in and lead into the dry snappy finnish. Hop favor seems very subdued but very complimentary to the Ruby Red grapefruit juice and it definitely adds to the dryness. The palate feels light and quite lively.

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

2.8/5  rDev -11.9%

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

The beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a white head. The first thing I get in the aroma is some ginger, but I then get some grapefruit notes. The flavor is more of the same. I get some slightly tart grapefruit, ginger and bready malt. Refreshing. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a great beer, but this is better than some other Shiner beers.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%