2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 183 | Show All Ratings:
OnDrawnWings

4.83/5  rDev +53.3%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal.

08-13-2012 00:40:06 | More by OnDrawnWings
Onslow

4.65/5  rDev +47.6%

god help me, i love this beer!!! .. Pours a light ruby tan, low foam .. . light aroma of ginger, grapefruit (weird right?) .. . taste is light grapefruit, and ginger, but i don't like ginger.. what the hell is going on?? this is fantastic!! all i can do is picture cases of this, stacked-chilled and by a pool! .. i can say that the new brewmaster at Spoetzl is really starting to stamp his name on what i thought was a shit brewery- could this be my turning point with Shiner, ..again ... I will be buying more of this... . Someone somewhere wants me crazy

04-14-2011 00:25:45 | More by Onslow
northaustin

4.43/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a clear light orange. no head, thus no retention or lacing.

smell is outta this world. crisp ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass notes and other citrus characteristics blend perfectly.

taste: nice ginger notes, grapefruit and a minimal malty flavor.

mouthfeel: a nice tart kick cleanses the palate to make way for all the fruity flavors. doesnt leave anything linfering

overall: without a doubt the best thing from shiner. pretty damn good on top of that!

06-05-2011 00:18:07 | More by northaustin
woodychandler

4.33/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I CAN hardly CANtain my joy at having found this in the cooler at Bocktown (Robinson) during my recent visit to Da Burgh. The CANQuest (TM) rejoices!

From the CAN: "Summer Seasonal Beer"; "Beer brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Serve ice cold on hot days".

It is hot and humid and my asthma is kicking into high gear today, so this would be the day for it. It is plenty cold, coming right out of my reefer and once the Crack happens, an inverted Glug into my glass. The nose is amazing! The ginger is pungent and the grapefruit only enhances the smell. I got a brief finger of tawny head following the Glug, but the humidity killed it. Mouthfeel was thin and a little watery, but the taste was very gingery, almost tea-like in its mellowness. Finish was really dry and quite refreshing. I would load a cooler with CANs for a day at the beach.

My original Bottle review of 16 Feb 2013:

Local trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me, along with a buncha others in a mixed case. I always look forward to his CARE packages and I try to reCANpricate as best as I CAN muster between visits.

From the bottle: "The perfect summer brew"; "Summer seasonal ale brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Ginger [-] all natural tropical spice"; "Grapefruit [-] sweet citrus of the Rio Grande Valley"; "Serve ice cold on hot days"; "This crisp, refreshing summer seasonal is brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice, the signature citrus of the Rio Grande Valley. Tartness from the grapefruit and a delightful kick from ginger combine for a taste that's perfect for hot summer days. Its deep gold color and full body come from pure Munich malt and Mt. Hood, Citra and Cascade hops balance the flavor well."; "There's nothing finer! Than a summertime Shiner!"

I am always put in mind of the early Hawaiian Punch ads with Punchy, asking the tourist if he'd like a nice Hawaiian Punch. When he responds in the affirmative, Punchy promptly punches him, resulting in a black eye. I cringe in Texas, especially when ogling the Flying Saucer waitstaff and someone asks me, "Hey, pal, how'd you like a Shiner?" I do not follow my instinct and likewise nod in the affirmative and then go into a defensive stance. YMMV.

Did I mention my new student, named "Tawny"? What a great name, and I had a dense finger of tawny head with good retention following my pour. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was AMAZING - I caught an initial whiff of grapefruit, but then the ginger suddenly hit me in the sinus cavity! I actually sneezed in surprise. I am all for truth in advertising, but this was unexpected. The mouthfeel was medium, but it was abrasive in its flavor as I was basking in the ginger on the tongue. I still think that Clove Life Savers were the best I ever had as a kid and this reminded me of one of them. The tart of the grapefruit seemed to be lost until the swallow and its incredibly dry finish. No wonder this is a summer beer - it was like liquid alum. My throat constricted and I began to gasp for air. This wasn't dry, it was downright arid! Wow. I definitely want one at a more appropriate time of year.

Serving type: can

02-16-2013 22:40:18 | More by woodychandler
dwalthall12

4.28/5  rDev +35.9%

This really is the perfect summer beer. I found myself googling the 2013 in stores date in the winter. This is my favorite beer and if you have not had it yet then you are missing out. Most bars and grocery stores have it available from March - September so pick some up if you haven't already

06-28-2013 23:01:13 | More by dwalthall12
titusgroan

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

I... Like... this... beer! and i did NOT think i would! GO SHINER!!! I love SB and the black and some of the others but when my wife brought this home i was beyond skeptical - flash back to smokearse... i mean smokehaus... but it was a sorta hot day... i was ready for cold beer so... and the cute little label was so inviting. so i poured one in a cold glass - no much head, some bubbles nice gold color. but the smell was quite nice - i walked outside... the grapefruit and ginger were there and the hops too... somewhere back there... i walked out in the yard... the wind blew the trees around... kids where yelling... my neighbor was mowing. i downed a redbird and got another - and another... next day we had some friends over. we chilled out back and knocked back some redbirds... it was a good day... its gonna be a nice long summer... thanks shiner. its about DAMN time... this beer is unique- the grapefruit and ginger are up front but not overpowering - very tart and almost dry but very refreshing when its hot and humid... best ice cold. it is not sweet at all - i hate sweet beer but this is not sweet at all. i love to slosh it around in the glass it bubbles up and goes crazy - also lets that grapefruit smell out...

have not tried with food yet - i bet it would be great with pho!

i love ipa etc but this is something different and i'm so glad shiner did it. totally makes up for the smokehaus! i knew you had it in you shiner - now keep it up - GO CRAZY!!!

05-01-2011 05:03:24 | More by titusgroan
razordm

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again.

08-26-2012 22:25:55 | More by razordm
BrandonWardlaw

4.1/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A very light amber. Pours with a very tiny head that dissipates instantly.

Smell: Frankly, it's bizarre. Not in a bad way, but definitely not a conventional beer whatsoever. The ginger and the grapefruit hit you in the nose right away, and that's all I'm getting out of it.

Taste: Again, bizarre, but in the best of ways. Has a very crisp, gingery bite, which mellows quickly. Finishes with a slight tanginess, and a bit of bitterness at the rear of the palate from the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light. Moderately carbonated. Extremely drinkable.

Overall: This ain't your normal glass of beer. It's pretty out there, and definitely the most adventurous Shiner brew that I've ever had. It's nice to have a citrusy beer that doesn't taste like chemicals and failure (Bud Light Lime, anyone?) The bottle brags that it's the "Perfect Summer Beer", and it might be right. I think it would also pair pretty well with asian or asian fusion dishes. It would be especially good with sushi. I'm sure a lot of BeerAdvocate users are going to give this beer poor reviews ("WHY DOES IT NOT REEK OF HOPS?!?!?", they'll scream), because they seem to love rating beers without regard for their intended drinking context. But if you're looking for an unpretentious, unusual session beer - give this a shot.

03-29-2011 21:13:44 | More by BrandonWardlaw
lwootton

4.1/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured into a St. Arnolds Pint Glass.

Appearance: Dark golden with a straw colored head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: Dominated by ginger, very much like ginger ale soda with earthy malt tones underneath.

Taste: A moderate ginger taste supplemented by the characteristic Shiner earthy malt taste, with a tart aftertaste added by the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, not particularly distinctive.

Overall: This would be a great session beer for me. I love the taste, it's refreshing, and it's crisp. It would be nice if it had a bit more complexity but overall I enjoyed it very much.

04-27-2011 01:30:09 | More by lwootton
Axnjxn

4.04/5  rDev +28.3%

Served on tap at Sam's in Durham. Poured into a DFH pint glass

Pours a light golden color with a very minor head. It has a very pronounced sweet and fruity nose. Very pleasant. The taste is best described as refreshing. Extremely easy to drink. Medium carbonation and a light feel make the drinkability extremely high.

Overall a solid, enjoyable summer beer. Probably my go to beer for the summer. If you dont like this beer, then you dont like summer!

04-13-2013 00:31:14 | More by Axnjxn
krazycure

4.03/5  rDev +27.9%

This is the first time I've ever seen this in stores, I wonder if I've just missed it the past few years or if it's really that new? Anyway, I had to try it, being a big fan of regular shiner and their bohemian black. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, I read other people's reviews that said the ginger is overwhelming, not for me, it's barely there. The grapefruit comes through the most, and honestly it's hard to tell this is a beer. It's quite refreshing and the ABV is low enough that the citrus tastes pretty much drowns tasting any alcohol. The only thing about this beer that isn't superb is the aftertaste... grapefruit always did have an odd aftertaste and it comes through in this. You know the pine-y aftertaste you get from a really deep IPA? Have you ever tried grapefruit seed extract? It's pretty similar. This beer has a pretty heavy, not particularly pleasant aftertaste. It's not horrible, but it caught me off guard. Overall, I like it, it's something new and different and definitely fits the season.

05-01-2011 04:06:50 | More by krazycure
TownDunkel

4.03/5  rDev +27.9%

Shiner makes a great product, I may be biased due to it being the beer of Texas.

Appearance - The grapefruit makes the usual shiner look a reddish brown. It matches the taste and expectations well

Smell - It has a decent smell of the usual shiner but I didn't pick up any citrus. If it would have just a little bit more scent to it I would have been very satisfied

Taste - Now this is a summer beer! It is a great lambric style with a shiner front along with the beautiful sour/sweet grapefruit. I never would have thought it would be good mix, but it works well.

Mouthfeel - Superb mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation with citrus.

Overall - This is my summer beer. I usually do the Shiner 102 or hefeweizen but I have a new daily drinker

05-21-2012 00:47:35 | More by TownDunkel
Brewnah

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

08-30-2012 22:46:03 | More by Brewnah
tjsdomer2

3.95/5  rDev +25.4%

Appearance: I don't love the foam or the lacing. I like the carbonation. I absolutely love the color! It's glowing amber-red-pink, almost radiant, but not unnaturally so.

Smell: Sour/bitter grapefruit. Extremely refreshing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I have to admit I really liked this. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day in Chicago. It definitely tastes like grapefruit, but doesn't seem artificial (although I don't actually know if this is the case or not). To be fair, the grapefruit does make it fairly one dimensional.

Overall Drinkability: A fruit beer that actually tastes like beer.

08-31-2012 03:21:58 | More by tjsdomer2
Beerfreak676

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Basically it has a light taste of ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass and other citrus characteristics.It all comes together perfectly.To be honest with y'all,look at all the reviews on tap.Not many huh...but there aren't any bad ones.Where as the bottle has horrible reviews mixed in with OK(& great ones scattered around). Sounds like with the bottle of this beer sometimes there is too much carbonation and off tap that problem has not come up at Bombay bar.I have a 32oz bottle of this in my fridge right now but I'm leaving this review for the "tap" because it's simply better and every connoisseur "knows this".In my opinion if you thought it tasted like "bad soda" then I recommend you look up a bar in your area and ask if they have it on tap,guarantee that shit won't happen to you again.

05-10-2012 07:49:22 | More by Beerfreak676
mattkoon

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

i used to drink shiner bock a good bit- it was the $2 beer at a bar i used to visit when i was in college. i havnt drank it much since. i tried this shiner ruby redbird expecting it to be super sweet. i was surprised and happy to be wrong.
it pours darker than i expected for a summer seasonal. its a golden pressing toward amber. the smell is heavy on the ginger with a little citrus. the taste is full of ginger with a nice, not overpowering, bitter.
i like this beer a good bit and i am gonna pick up some more of it.

05-02-2013 18:25:46 | More by mattkoon
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Shiner Ruby Redbird has a thick, white head that doesn’t last long and leaves behind no lacing. The appearance is clear old gold, with very few streaming bubbles. Aroma is of sharp, tart grapefruit zest and some sweet white bread, with a ginger background. Taste is of red grapefruit, citrus sweetness, a touch of ginger, and tap water. Mouthfeel is between light and medium, and Shiner Ruby Redbird finishes dry, refreshing, easy-drinking, and sweet. Overall, this is a good fruit beer.

RJT

06-03-2013 23:43:31 | More by RonaldTheriot
scottblaze

3.9/5  rDev +23.8%

I guess I gotta hand it to Spoetzl for doing something a little different. (fondly recollecting the "peachy" Holiday Cheer...I got along with that one okay). This unusual concoction sparked me to stroke a review, the first one in a while.

Worked really hard to get a 1/2" head...very short lived. zero lacing

Redish amber...looks OK. Almost like bourbon in a glass.

Can detect a little lemon and grapefruit in the nose, a little rosemary.

First taste catches me totally off guard... Rosemary! Almost as if I had bitten into a fresh sprig! Was not expecting that..I guess it is the ginger, cascade, grapefruit combo.

A little thin on the mouthfeel

At first, the unusual nature of this struck me as, well, astrigently off the mark. After a couple more, and then a couple more the next day, I am coming to embrace it as a decent summer refresher. On one of those scorching hot summer days, its low alcohol, light bodied, citrusy nature could cause me to beg for more.

EDIT (10/23/11) : After this long long HOT HOT HOT and DRY summer, it seemd that I could not get enough of this one. Ice cold on a hot days straight out of the bottle, went down several 12 packs.

05-08-2011 19:43:32 | More by scottblaze
brewdlyhooked13

3.88/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance - this beer has a golden color with a touch of red. Observe the head quickly because it disappears fast.

Aroma - the initial hit is sweet, pink grapefruit. Only after it settles down can I pick up some spicy ginger. I like the combo.

Taste - only a hint of sourish grain at first sip. Lots of grapefruit and ginger flavor. It could easily go sweet but does not. The flavors stay light and with good balance between the two flavorings. The finish is clean if not plain. Tastier as a fruit beverage than a beer, but I do like it.

Mouthfeel - bubbly and crisp, light and refreshing.

Drinkability - these are good. I think pounding through them short-circuits the mild but interesting flavors, yet they are easy to drink down. Toasting this one to my in-laws down in Katy, dodging firestorms tonight. Be safe folks, and to all my Lone Star pals down there, too. Safe home.

06-22-2011 03:22:10 | More by brewdlyhooked13
shand

3.85/5  rDev +22.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Well, if nothing else this is sure to be interesting. This one pours out an orange-gold color with a tiny head, no lace. Smells a touch like sugar-sweet ginger ale, with just a touch of maltiness. The taste is a lot like ginger ale, with some sweet red grapefruit on the back. The taste is nice, the ginger and grapefruit are really up front, with just a little bit of nutty malt on the very backend. A very drinkable beer. The mouthfeel is light and carbonated. This is a pretty solid summer brew that's quite unique.

05-31-2011 01:58:11 | More by shand
DrDemento456

3.83/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours red amber mostly light in color with a 1/2 inch of head that actually sticks around for quite a while.

Smell is pretty nice I do get some grapefruit and maybe ginger. The wheat base in this smells very fluid.

Taste was actually quite impressive since it makes for a pretty sweet/tart summer beer. Grapefruit isn't bitter but it does seem very natural with the balance of wheat. Not getting much ginger but it contributes to the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Not bad.

Overall I could see picking up a six pack since most places around here have Shiner for around 9 bucks a six pack. Not a bad fruit based beer at all.

05-29-2012 21:28:04 | More by DrDemento456
dalygnus

Maryland

3.83/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: golden reddish pour -- head quickly dissipates, no lacing -- l like some head and lacing so this was a sore spot for my tastes
Smell: fruity as expected, no problem
Taste: l liked it a lot -- the grapefruit and carbonation resembled a Fresca, my fave soda
Mouthfeel: ok, very drinkable due to carbonation and low alcohol content
Overall: done in by no head. Sam Adams Summer Ale still the summer beer of choice

07-13-2013 21:40:35 | More by dalygnus
MurphyMacManus

3.75/5  rDev +19%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: clear gold with a short-lived white head.

S: Ginger beer, with a vague grapefruit undertone. Judging by the smell alone, this should taste like some sort of sweet soft drink with a strong ginger kick.

T/M: Soft drink mouthfeel -- quite thin, minimal body. Impressive ginger kick that serves to mask some of the grapefruit's bitterness in the finish. Pleasant sweetness up front, most likely from the malt and the grapefruit. (Texas grapefruits are sweet.)

Overall: Does not taste like beer and is quite dangerous in that respect. Though the alcohol content is fairly low, it drinks like a good ginger beer and, thus, can lead to unexpected intoxication. It's great as a thirst quencher and balances ginger bite, sweetness and bitterness well enough to be quite effective as a session beer. Except that 4%ABV is sneaky.

05-30-2011 06:15:45 | More by MurphyMacManus
DuncanIdaho86

3.75/5  rDev +19%

This new seasonal from shiner cut the heat like A lightsaber. Even though most any frosty cold beer will cool you down on a hot summers day, The Ruby Rerbird did it with style.

I poured right into the pint glass, and though I was expecting a deep, sanguine red ale (on account of the name), I was surprised to see a hazy, rustic yellow ale. Either way it smelled fantastic, biting at my senses with that ginger aroma. Whooo-eee! If anything, the ginger kick dominates the grapefruit addition - but its still there. The fruity notes are undeniably there on the palette.

Good mouth feel, if not a little fizzy right? Better try a second to be absolutely sure.

07-01-2011 17:01:22 | More by DuncanIdaho86
smibroncos

3.73/5  rDev +18.4%

A. Poured a amber copper color with a short diminishing off white head no lacing on the glass.

S. Grapefruit, cinnomon, lemmon, grass,some ginger

T. Slightly sourand aslight spiciness.strange taste but I liked it, has tea like quality

M. Light and effervecent. A good duration

O. Even though this brew has a verry strange flavor I liked it I would have to say it would be even better on a really hot summer day.

11-06-2011 23:33:19 | More by smibroncos