Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 235 | Hads: 1,125
4.79/5  rDev +53.5%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal. (470 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +51%

I've been rapidly tasting craft beers for a few years and this is by far my favorite summer ale.. Grapefruit is f*&%ing disgusting but I was completely blown away by this fantastic beer. Very crisp light enough to drink a ton of em on a full stomach AND plenty of flavor.. This beer is not sissy although it is light. Reminds me of water skiing, the beach, the pool and grilled food. GANGSTA! (392 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +47.4%

god help me, i love this beer!!! .. Pours a light ruby tan, low foam .. . light aroma of ginger, grapefruit (weird right?) .. . taste is light grapefruit, and ginger, but i don't like ginger.. what the hell is going on?? this is fantastic!! all i can do is picture cases of this, stacked-chilled and by a pool! .. i can say that the new brewmaster at Spoetzl is really starting to stamp his name on what i thought was a shit brewery- could this be my turning point with Shiner, ..again ... I will be buying more of this... . Someone somewhere wants me crazy (557 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

This is a brew that many will rate poorly based on their personal preference, as opposed to how well it was done within it's style. I'm not a huge Shiner fan nor am I a fruit beer person, but in my opinion, they hit the nail right on the head with this one.

The beer pours with a thin fizzy soda like head which vanishes seconds later. Right off the bat you are hit hard with ginger and citrus on the nose. It almost smells like some sort of fresh ginger cocktail. The initial flavor is smooth and on the sweet side, but the sweetness quickly fades as it hits the sides and back of the tongue where it becomes dry and crisp. The ginger is present from start to finish, and that juicy red grapefruit comes through perfectly in the finish. It's light bodied and so juicy, but it isn't a sweet fruit beer by any means. To me it makes a perfect substitute for juice with breakfast, or as a refreshing alternative to a cider on a hot day. This is a wonderfully crafted unique brew that serves it's intended purpose perfectly. (1,029 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a clear light orange. no head, thus no retention or lacing.

smell is outta this world. crisp ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass notes and other citrus characteristics blend perfectly.

taste: nice ginger notes, grapefruit and a minimal malty flavor.

mouthfeel: a nice tart kick cleanses the palate to make way for all the fruity flavors. doesnt leave anything linfering

overall: without a doubt the best thing from shiner. pretty damn good on top of that! (466 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +39.4%

Not a huge Shiner fan but i love this beer despite that most reviews here are not favorable. It's a specific beer for a specific time of year (i.e. on a hot summer day). I find it incredibly light and refreshing. A perfect beer for a hot summers day. (250 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I CAN hardly CANtain my joy at having found this in the cooler at Bocktown (Robinson) during my recent visit to Da Burgh. The CANQuest (TM) rejoices!

From the CAN: "Summer Seasonal Beer"; "Beer brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Serve ice cold on hot days".

It is hot and humid and my asthma is kicking into high gear today, so this would be the day for it. It is plenty cold, coming right out of my reefer and once the Crack happens, an inverted Glug into my glass. The nose is amazing! The ginger is pungent and the grapefruit only enhances the smell. I got a brief finger of tawny head following the Glug, but the humidity killed it. Mouthfeel was thin and a little watery, but the taste was very gingery, almost tea-like in its mellowness. Finish was really dry and quite refreshing. I would load a cooler with CANs for a day at the beach.

My original Bottle review of 16 Feb 2013:

Local trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me, along with a buncha others in a mixed case. I always look forward to his CARE packages and I try to reCANpricate as best as I CAN muster between visits.

From the bottle: "The perfect summer brew"; "Summer seasonal ale brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Ginger [-] all natural tropical spice"; "Grapefruit [-] sweet citrus of the Rio Grande Valley"; "Serve ice cold on hot days"; "This crisp, refreshing summer seasonal is brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice, the signature citrus of the Rio Grande Valley. Tartness from the grapefruit and a delightful kick from ginger combine for a taste that's perfect for hot summer days. Its deep gold color and full body come from pure Munich malt and Mt. Hood, Citra and Cascade hops balance the flavor well."; "There's nothing finer! Than a summertime Shiner!"

I am always put in mind of the early Hawaiian Punch ads with Punchy, asking the tourist if he'd like a nice Hawaiian Punch. When he responds in the affirmative, Punchy promptly punches him, resulting in a black eye. I cringe in Texas, especially when ogling the Flying Saucer waitstaff and someone asks me, "Hey, pal, how'd you like a Shiner?" I do not follow my instinct and likewise nod in the affirmative and then go into a defensive stance. YMMV.

Did I mention my new student, named "Tawny"? What a great name, and I had a dense finger of tawny head with good retention following my pour. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was AMAZING - I caught an initial whiff of grapefruit, but then the ginger suddenly hit me in the sinus cavity! I actually sneezed in surprise. I am all for truth in advertising, but this was unexpected. The mouthfeel was medium, but it was abrasive in its flavor as I was basking in the ginger on the tongue. I still think that Clove Life Savers were the best I ever had as a kid and this reminded me of one of them. The tart of the grapefruit seemed to be lost until the swallow and its incredibly dry finish. No wonder this is a summer beer - it was like liquid alum. My throat constricted and I began to gasp for air. This wasn't dry, it was downright arid! Wow. I definitely want one at a more appropriate time of year. (3,247 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a solo cup. (2015 batch)

A: The only underwhelming part of this here beer. Clear copper with 1/4" white head that sits down immediately. Lacing & retention are nonexistent.

S: Grapefruit, ginger & crackery malt. Delivers everything promised by the label.

T: Ruby red grapefruit & this batch has an exceptionally well-defined ginger note. A bit of caramel & maybe a faint melon note. Altogether bright flavors working in perfect harmony. Nice citrus/ginger bite on the finish, leaves a little spice lingering on the tongue.

M: Medium-bodied with next to no carb. Straddles the line between syrupy & oily, yet it all works well for the flavors. Finishes short & crisp.

O: Unbelievably well-executed brew from Shiner. Once you get past the blah appearance, it just gets better & better with each sip. They really seemed to have upped the ginger content this year & that's not a bad thing. (923 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

This really is the perfect summer beer. I found myself googling the 2013 in stores date in the winter. This is my favorite beer and if you have not had it yet then you are missing out. Most bars and grocery stores have it available from March - September so pick some up if you haven't already (293 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A really well crafted spiced brew. This is a well balanced spiced beer. very enjoyable with a small white head and excellent spicy aroma. A great beer for a hot summer day. (175 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +35.6%

I... Like... this... beer! and i did NOT think i would! GO SHINER!!! I love SB and the black and some of the others but when my wife brought this home i was beyond skeptical - flash back to smokearse... i mean smokehaus... but it was a sorta hot day... i was ready for cold beer so... and the cute little label was so inviting. so i poured one in a cold glass - no much head, some bubbles nice gold color. but the smell was quite nice - i walked outside... the grapefruit and ginger were there and the hops too... somewhere back there... i walked out in the yard... the wind blew the trees around... kids where yelling... my neighbor was mowing. i downed a redbird and got another - and another... next day we had some friends over. we chilled out back and knocked back some redbirds... it was a good day... its gonna be a nice long summer... thanks shiner. its about DAMN time... this beer is unique- the grapefruit and ginger are up front but not overpowering - very tart and almost dry but very refreshing when its hot and humid... best ice cold. it is not sweet at all - i hate sweet beer but this is not sweet at all. i love to slosh it around in the glass it bubbles up and goes crazy - also lets that grapefruit smell out...

have not tried with food yet - i bet it would be great with pho!

i love ipa etc but this is something different and i'm so glad shiner did it. totally makes up for the smokehaus! i knew you had it in you shiner - now keep it up - GO CRAZY!!! (1,475 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love grapefruit and it's my favorite out of all of the various citrus fruits. It would have been nice if the grapefruit flavor was more prominent. I definitely smell grapefruit but I get more ginger flavor than anything else. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Overall, very refreshing to drink and not too sweet either. (328 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +35.3%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again. (353 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +32.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A very light amber. Pours with a very tiny head that dissipates instantly.

Smell: Frankly, it's bizarre. Not in a bad way, but definitely not a conventional beer whatsoever. The ginger and the grapefruit hit you in the nose right away, and that's all I'm getting out of it.

Taste: Again, bizarre, but in the best of ways. Has a very crisp, gingery bite, which mellows quickly. Finishes with a slight tanginess, and a bit of bitterness at the rear of the palate from the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light. Moderately carbonated. Extremely drinkable.

Overall: This ain't your normal glass of beer. It's pretty out there, and definitely the most adventurous Shiner brew that I've ever had. It's nice to have a citrusy beer that doesn't taste like chemicals and failure (Bud Light Lime, anyone?) The bottle brags that it's the "Perfect Summer Beer", and it might be right. I think it would also pair pretty well with asian or asian fusion dishes. It would be especially good with sushi. I'm sure a lot of BeerAdvocate users are going to give this beer poor reviews ("WHY DOES IT NOT REEK OF HOPS?!?!?", they'll scream), because they seem to love rating beers without regard for their intended drinking context. But if you're looking for an unpretentious, unusual session beer - give this a shot. (1,368 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured into a St. Arnolds Pint Glass.

Appearance: Dark golden with a straw colored head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: Dominated by ginger, very much like ginger ale soda with earthy malt tones underneath.

Taste: A moderate ginger taste supplemented by the characteristic Shiner earthy malt taste, with a tart aftertaste added by the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, not particularly distinctive.

Overall: This would be a great session beer for me. I love the taste, it's refreshing, and it's crisp. It would be nice if it had a bit more complexity but overall I enjoyed it very much. (599 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I love how refreshing this beer can be on a hot day. Crisp ginger flavor with underlying grapefruit notes. Very light mouth feel with a lingering ginger taste. (160 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +29.5%

Served on tap at Sam's in Durham. Poured into a DFH pint glass

Pours a light golden color with a very minor head. It has a very pronounced sweet and fruity nose. Very pleasant. The taste is best described as refreshing. Extremely easy to drink. Medium carbonation and a light feel make the drinkability extremely high.

Overall a solid, enjoyable summer beer. Probably my go to beer for the summer. If you dont like this beer, then you dont like summer! (454 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +29.2%

Made with grapfruit and that flavor does come through in the taste. This is an excellent summer beer...goes down easy and is very refreshing. Sandy-ish. (154 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +27.9%

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer. (688 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

what an interesting color for a beer was happy to see this on tap the person next to me drying it and it looked like a sparkling wine

this aroma smells just like a citrus fruit but underneath that there is that beer smell if that makes any sense

I drank two of them and I'm glad I did it was almost like a breakfast drink I will have more if I see it (353 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%

Shiner makes a great product, I may be biased due to it being the beer of Texas.

Appearance - The grapefruit makes the usual shiner look a reddish brown. It matches the taste and expectations well

Smell - It has a decent smell of the usual shiner but I didn't pick up any citrus. If it would have just a little bit more scent to it I would have been very satisfied

Taste - Now this is a summer beer! It is a great lambric style with a shiner front along with the beautiful sour/sweet grapefruit. I never would have thought it would be good mix, but it works well.

Mouthfeel - Superb mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation with citrus.

Overall - This is my summer beer. I usually do the Shiner 102 or hefeweizen but I have a new daily drinker (754 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

i used to drink shiner bock a good bit- it was the $2 beer at a bar i used to visit when i was in college. i havnt drank it much since. i tried this shiner ruby redbird expecting it to be super sweet. i was surprised and happy to be wrong.
it pours darker than i expected for a summer seasonal. its a golden pressing toward amber. the smell is heavy on the ginger with a little citrus. the taste is full of ginger with a nice, not overpowering, bitter.
i like this beer a good bit and i am gonna pick up some more of it. (522 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%

This is the first time I've ever seen this in stores, I wonder if I've just missed it the past few years or if it's really that new? Anyway, I had to try it, being a big fan of regular shiner and their bohemian black. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect, I read other people's reviews that said the ginger is overwhelming, not for me, it's barely there. The grapefruit comes through the most, and honestly it's hard to tell this is a beer. It's quite refreshing and the ABV is low enough that the citrus tastes pretty much drowns tasting any alcohol. The only thing about this beer that isn't superb is the aftertaste... grapefruit always did have an odd aftertaste and it comes through in this. You know the pine-y aftertaste you get from a really deep IPA? Have you ever tried grapefruit seed extract? It's pretty similar. This beer has a pretty heavy, not particularly pleasant aftertaste. It's not horrible, but it caught me off guard. Overall, I like it, it's something new and different and definitely fits the season. (1,031 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +26%

Appearance: I don't love the foam or the lacing. I like the carbonation. I absolutely love the color! It's glowing amber-red-pink, almost radiant, but not unnaturally so.

Smell: Sour/bitter grapefruit. Extremely refreshing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I have to admit I really liked this. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day in Chicago. It definitely tastes like grapefruit, but doesn't seem artificial (although I don't actually know if this is the case or not). To be fair, the grapefruit does make it fairly one dimensional.

Overall Drinkability: A fruit beer that actually tastes like beer. (596 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

Shiner Ruby Redbird has a thick, white head that doesn’t last long and leaves behind no lacing. The appearance is clear old gold, with very few streaming bubbles. Aroma is of sharp, tart grapefruit zest and some sweet white bread, with a ginger background. Taste is of red grapefruit, citrus sweetness, a touch of ginger, and tap water. Mouthfeel is between light and medium, and Shiner Ruby Redbird finishes dry, refreshing, easy-drinking, and sweet. Overall, this is a good fruit beer.

RJT (495 characters)