Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,098 | Reviews: 252
2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

It tastes like Ginger ale with a hint of grapefruit juice. Not bad for someone who doesn't really like that hoppy beer taste but wants something summery. I had this mid July with chicken wings, I'd say that's the best pairing for this beer. Nothing to write home about but refreshing with a light dinner.

2.86/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Summer is a tough season for me with beers. Refreshment is generally not my main reason for drinking beer, flavor is. So summer seasonals, with a few exceptions, usually leave me wanting. Despite trying something different, Shiner Ruby Redbird is no exception.

Appearance was light golden blonde with the tiniest hint of amber/red. Little to no head retention.

Smell was heavy on the ginger with hints of citrus, more lemon than grapefruit. Also a bit of a must I usually associate with a macro lager.

Taste was that of a dry, slightly sweet ginger ale that someone had squeezed a lemon wedge in. There was very little hint that you were drinking a beer and not a slightly alcoholic ginger ale. Grapefruit was nowhere to be found.

Mouthfeel was light and heavily carbonated with tiny bubbles.

Overall, while it tasted fine, it did not taste like beer. Shiner attempted to do something pretty interesting here, and while a crisp lager with notes of ginger and grapefruit still appeals to me, this unfortunately, is not that beer.

2.85/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

This is a pretty good ginger beer, and a pretty lacking grapefruit beer. My partner tore through the six pack on a hot day when I was out, but the one I had was marginal - nice, not offensive, but utterly absent the grapefruit flavor I was looking for when I bought it.

A nice 'it's really hot out' beer, but I don't know if that saves it - I really do think I'm being hung up on the grapefruit on the label; but, then, I wouldn't have bought it just for the ginger.

2.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours dark orangish yellow with a foamy white head. The smell is tart, with a noticeable grapefruit smell, but not overwhelming. The taste in interesting, the citrus and grapefruit dominate, with the other beer qualities taking a back seat. The flavors are not as expected, but they do push the limits of fruit beers. This one had light carbonation and a decent mouthfeel. I do not think I would buy this again, the flavor just wasn't refreshing as I thought it would be.

2.8/5  rDev -12.2%

I've been told that this is an excellent beer to drink cold on a summer afternoon, which is what I did. It's also been considered a good session beer... I can see that.
Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a yellow orange with a small white head with zero retention. A few bubbles seen rising to the top.

Smell: More ginger than grapefruit. It smells like a ginger ale honestly, with maybe a splash of citrus.

Taste: Man it's exactly like a ginger soda with a little malt and grapefruit thrown in. I can't feel or taste much alcohol at all. It's highly drinkable, but somehow for 4% it doesn't seem like a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Definitely more of a girl beer than guy. Light and simple, not bad, but I prefer the traditional bock if I'm going in the Shiner direction.

2.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a dark straw color with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of very light grain and a little citrus, but not that strong. Tastes of grain with citrus flavoring added, not that great. Beer is very smooth with its light body, but has a little too much carbonation. Overall, a very average beer.

2.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, no bottle date.

Pours a light golden color with a minimal white head which dissipates almost instantly, no lacing what so ever, a stream of carbonation forms in the middle, nothing special. Smells are of ginger with hints of grapefruit. Feel is very light but perhaps what you'd expect with a summer beer. The taste is light of ginger with a little bread malts with a grapefruit after taste and not a good hoppy grapefruit, but a rancid rotten one which I hope doesn't linger much longer. Yeah its a summer beer, pretty light and maybe easy to drink (don't confuse with worthwhile to drink), but not at all to my taste. What a disappointment considering how much I love a good ginger beer (the non alcoholic stuff).

2.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear deep gold producing 1 finger of rapidly diminishing, slightly off-white, champagne-like head that leaves not a hint of lacing. Aroma is remarkably reminiscent of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale with hints of grapefruit, caramel, lemon/lime & grain in that order. Taste is overwhelmingly ginger (more Canada Dry-like in the mouth) with hints of grapefruit, lemon-lime, caramel & mineral water. Finishes thin & lemon-lime citrusy with a ginger, peppery spiciness. Aftertaste is a shortlived, low level citrus, mineral in a thin bitterness before fading to an afterthought. Mouthfeel is light bodied, thin, watery with lively carbonation, dry, spicy & prickly. I must confess that my rating is based on personal prefence & not on parameters & merits within the style as I not sure that I have ever had a representative of the style that I liked and would drink again.

2.77/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Picked this beer up at the local grocery store in a make your own 6 pack...it boasts on the bottle that it is "the perfect summer brew"

Noting very minimal lemon, and some spices with hops in the initial smell, really not very appealing.

Can taste a very small amount of lemon in the first sip but not enough, spices, hops, and carbonation dominate the flavor. This beer is highly carbonated and actually takes a lot away from the taste of the beer, and actually hurt my stomach a little bit.

For a beer claiming to be the perfect summer beer, this one leaves a little to be desired, it is just average or even below average.

2.77/5  rDev -13.2%

Clear golden with thin soda pop head that doesn't stick around or retain itself at all.

Sharp ginger with a cleanser type character is at the forefront. The grapefruit is faint and the Citra and Cascade hops are nonexistent. Malt does little other than provide a base for the spices and adjunct.

Another oddly spiced seasonal from Shiner. The ginger overwhelms, in fact it could be mistaken for a ginger ale soda, only not as good.

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzel rods.

A: Pours a half finger head of white colour, awful thickness, no cream, and pathetic retention. Colour is a boring predictable clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Heavy fruit citrus hops - primarily weak grapefruit. Watery ginger. A poor aroma. Fairly strong.

T: Heavy ginger, water, and grapefruit. Maybe some clean malts. A hint of cannabis. Not particularly full-bodied. Boring and bland. Balanced poorly; water should not be a note. I'm severely disappointed. Not at all complex or subtle.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and watery. A bit undercarbonated. Thin.

Dr: Drinkable and decent for a ginger beer, but severely lacking. It's got flavour, but is overly watery. I wouldn't get it again - maybe on draught I guess. A disappointing beer from Spoetzl.

Low C

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was expecting refreshing and light. It was light, and there were some interesting flavors brought about by the grapefruit and the ginger, but I didn't find it all that refreshing, a quality I seek in a brew that's billed as a refreshing summer beer. If it needs to be Ice Cold like the can says, then I guess that's a problem for me. I like a good ginger ale. I enjoy grapefruit very much. I'm not overly excited by this particular combination for refreshment. Maybe if it had been more wheat based without the ginger, I would have found it more refreshing.

2.72/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color and is topped with no head at all, when I poured it the carbonation that appeared left quicker than I could get it to show up.
Smell: The beer smells rather clean with just a hint of malt and hop aromas.
Taste: The beer tastes exactly as it smells clean and simple just like a beer on a hot day should be.
Mouthfeel: Redbird is a rather thin bodied easy drinking beer that I would have liked a lot more if it had a better flavor profile. This is a rather disappointing beer out of Shiner, TX.

2.71/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Im usually a huge fan of Shiner beer, however this one didn't settle too well with me. I had picked up this beer last summer thinking it might be a good one to quench the horrible Texas summer heat. Turns out I was wrong.

The beer has a nice red tint to it.

The smell is like a large piece of ginger, some grapefruit and a lemon got blended together and was stuck inside the bottle. It smells pretty good but can be a little overwhelming.

The taste is highly acidic for a beer (grapefruit causes this). It's pretty smooth but a bitter after taste.

Overall, id say this one isn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped it be. Nice try though Shiner.

2.6/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Interesting, my first review for a Spoetzl beer. I haven't noticed them around MA much but just saw this on a local shelf and got a single because... why not. Grapefruit and ginger surely sounds like a good combo.

A- Filtered dark orange body with some red hues in the center as you might expect from the name. A fizzy puff appears on the beer for very briefly before transforming to a tiny ring at the edges. Lacing is rather rare.

S- Ginger (which isn't exactly that aromatic here) and rarely anything else. Other hints I get are grapefruit juice, pale grains, fruit esters and caramelized sugar.

T- Ginger ale soda with a fairly strong hint of grapefruit juice and general citrus. A moderate sweetness and caramelized sugar note joins that with hints of apple and light fruit esters. Ginger spiciness has an authenticity to it.

MF- Extremely light bodied and defining watery as far as beers go. As far as texture, all I can really list is fizziness reminiscent of a soda with high-end carbonation. Finishes with slight spiciness on the palate from the ginger.

Refreshing with a moderate amount of true ginger flavor and spiciness. Similar to a ginger soda in both flavor and mouthfeel which is both a good and bad thing for a beer. For me it is just too watery and soda-like to be taken seriously.

2.6/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear bright copper color with a small head that fades quickly to no lacing.

S: Aroma of citrus primarily grapefruit and ginger.

T: Taste of ginger and grapefruit with a hint of grain in the background. More of a tart than bitterness and a bit of lingering ginger.

F: Light body, crisp and refreshing.

O: Not bad for what it is. Goes best with hot summer days.

2.59/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.75

Pours to a thin white head that falls to a tiny white ring that eventually fades and no lacing. Honey gold color. Aroma is ruby red grapefruit juice and ginger ale. Flavor is a burning acidic grapefruit and spicy ginger with not much else standing out. Mouthfeel is like ginger ale with a slight burning sensation and not like beer at all. Overall, what;'s the point? It's practically "alcopop" anyway. It was recommended by the store owner, but perhaps just to get rid of it?

2.59/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess my impression of this was to be a Radler but a bit more beer, instead this never appealed to me. The color and appearance was thin and watery, as was the feel but it seemed to be more nothingness. The taste and nose are acrid and saccharine with an artificial grapefruit. The ginger is sour and earthy, very vegetative, with little malt. Not my favorite.

2.58/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Big thanks to my friend Audrey who brought some up with her from the ATL.

A: Crystal clear pale golden. Aggressive pour has head foam up big and fast and disappear almost as quickly. Strong bubbles come up from the middle. No lacing to speak of.

S: Hmmm...the grapefruit and ginger are there but so is the smell of pale malt. It literally smells like a weak ginger ale. Interesting smell but I've definitely smelled better from fruit/vegetable beers.

T: Yeesh. Um. A weak mix of ginger and um...beer. Sorta. Man. This is a tough one to power through. Like a flat not-so-sweet ginger ale.

M: Light-bodied, highly carbonated, watery even. Leaves a weird stickiness that disappears quickly.

O: Thankfully this was a freebie. There are just so many good summer beers, I'm not sad that this one is available in a store near me. Avoid.

2.58/5  rDev -19.1%

A-Pours a cloudy red grapefruit juice color. Head fizzles off to nothing. Actually does look like fruit juice. Doesn't really lace.

S-Ginger ale. Grapefruit too (and not derived from hops) Just grapefruit doused in granulated sugar. The creepy spawn of a Schweppes and Schlitz.

T-Ginger ale with sugary grapefruit. Then an odd yeasty component. Flavors combat one another. The ginger ale is very off putting. Beer?

M-Light but sugary. Plenty of bubbles. Like a soft drink; not surprising.

O/D-Ale brewed with ginger and grapefruit? About $6.75 a six-pack? I guess I'll give her a shot. Bad idea. My girlfriend loved it because it tasted so much like ginger ale. I hated it for the same reason. And boy, when this beer warmed, it really became frightening.

2.58/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours an orange/amber, and the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is very strong on citrus, and the taste follows. It's grapefruit, but tastes more like lemon to me. The acidic citrus flavor and the ginger are just overpowering, and overshadow any other beer flavors that might be there.

This is a confusing beer. It is crisp and refreshing, but just tastes out of balance. If they tweaked the recipe a bit, they might be on to something. For summertime concept fruit beers, I'd go with 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is not a repeat buy for me, even though I give them credit for creativity.

2.55/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A-Amber/Gold, almost no head and what head is there dissipates quickly with no lacing.

S-Grapefruit/Ginger. It kinda reminds me of lemon lime Alka Seltzer.

T-Citrus/Ginger. Similar to Zima.

M-Dry with good carbonation.

O-If your are really hot and thirsty, you can pound these like water. Good beer for cutting grass. The fruity taste may appeal to women.

2.54/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date on bottle.

A: Apple juice. 1/2 finger white head dissipated almost instantly. No carbonation bubbles rising.

S: Ginger and grapefruit. As advertised.

T: Grapefruit bitterness and tartness with a bit of the ginger there, too. Citrus hops are in the background.

M: Thin. Also lacking in carbonation.

O: Not on par with last two Shiner seasonals (Winter Warmer & Dortmunder). I worry that I may have gotten a bad bottle from an HEB make your own 6 pack. But no skunk or oxidation symptoms. I totally missed the Munich malt and the Mt. Hood & Cascade hops mentioned on the back label.

2.52/5  rDev -21%

Pours with a small off white to light tan head that quickly fades into nothing above a clear carbonated honey golden colored beer.

Aroma is laced with ginger and lemon with some other fruits coming through, maybe grapefruit, with a very light washed out grassy malt hint.

Taste is more ginger, lemon, washed out sweet malts, with other light citrus fruits coming through.

Not very impressed with this outing from Spoetzl.

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint.

A: Dark amber hue. Lots of rising effervescence. Pours a slight, bubbly head, which disappears quickly. No lacing.

S: Malt, grapefruit, and copious amounts of ginger.

T: Tastes like it smells. Bitter pecan shells, fruit pith, and raw ginger.

M: Light body, syrupy palate-coating feel. Bitter finish. Kind of washed out and shallow.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is okay. Dark amber, with rising effervescence that eventually taps out, very slight head, and no lacing. Grains with lots of ginger and some grapefruit. Bitter fruit and raw ginger. Overall, this is a serviceable quaff.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner