1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 652 | Reviews: 182 | Show All Ratings:
briman

1.68/5  rDev -46.7%

Pours a clear golden amber color, spritzy, but with no head formation whatsoever.

Aroma is strong ginger spice, with a lemony fresh scent.

Flavor follows. Ginger dominates, finishing with a hint of bitterness from a hint of lemon rind.

Medium-light body, with bright carbonation. In all honesty, the lemony freshness of this beer tastes more and more like dish soap the more this warms. After a good run of new beers from Shiner, I have to say this one is ill conceived.

In six years on BA I have never rated a beer an F. Unfortunately, that string is now broken.

04-23-2011 03:16:12 | More by briman
jsh420

1.63/5  rDev -48.3%

pours clear bright copper gold with a 1/2 finger fizzy white head that left no lacing

smells like a fruity seven up with hints of ruby red grapefruit

taste is absolutely awful - it reminds me of a zima i drank in jr. high almost 20yrs ago

mouthfeel is thin - this is an over carbonated soda water they are passing off as beer

overall this might be the worst thing i have ever drank called beer - i got more beer flavor from bud select 55

04-16-2011 23:41:40 | More by jsh420
acevenom

Louisiana

1.58/5  rDev -49.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours light clear caramel yellow wtih a quickly dissipating fizzy white head. No lacing is left behind. The bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass are plentiful. This is very carbonated. It reminded me of pouring a soda with how the carbonation rushed out of it. The aroma is very faint. I can pick up some ginger, though it's pretty faint. There is some wheat in the smell as well. For being a grapefruit flavored beer, I can't really pick that up much of it in the aroma. There flavor is slightly tart from the grapefruit and spicy from the ginger. The flavors of the wheat malt are overpowered here. The grapefruit isn't as forward as the ginger, which is a little overpowering. The excessive carbonation is prickly on the palate. The body is light and the carbonation, as noted, is intense. What should be an easy drinker is actually very difficult to consume. It reminds me of a soda in many ways, but a low quality one. Overall, this is easily one of the worst beers I've ever had. Plenty of other breweries have produced better fruit beer that embraces the fruit while not betraying the beer characteristics. Shiner gets a failing grade for this one.

05-02-2012 19:06:37 | More by acevenom
harrymel

Washington

1.44/5  rDev -54.3%

Bottled: unk

Got real excited for this, I love grapefruit raddlers, maybe this can be my summer 2013 beer?!

Pours a copper ale with brilliant clarity and no foam. Smells like sugar, some grapefruit (way too sweet), some pear and a little english malt. Pretty unimpressed so far. Tastes like a hot dog with some artificial sweetener and a little grapefruit - horrible. Thin with moderate carb and an off dry finish. That is a shitty beer.

04-27-2013 04:26:40 | More by harrymel
HoustonTX

1.25/5  rDev -60.3%

I will make this review short and sweet. This beer is straight up nasty. The ginger is way over powering and totally dominates anything and everything. It tastes like diluted ginger beer, with a sickly ill deathly twang. The mouthfeel and carbonation is atrocious. This beer is just not viable to drink by itself.

The one saving grace is, it may make a perfect base for mixing. Grab some dark rum and use it to make a Dark and Stormy and thank me later. Really disappointing, by far the worst Shiner offering to date.

04-30-2011 06:42:24 | More by HoustonTX
kyleelton

1.18/5  rDev -62.5%

Out of a bottle into a pint glass.

I've been on BA for awhile and never written a review, but this time I just couldn't stay silent. I knew this would either be awesome or wretched:

As soon as I poured the glass I knew I was in for trouble. The color was okay, but the head and clarity was very seltzery and the light foam dissipated quickly.

I put the glass to my nose and was hit by a fruity, citrus smell that reminded me of a bad Grocery store Sprite knock-off.

My wife, who usually likes fruitier beers, summed it up fairly well. It tastes like watered down Sprite. You know how after ice has melted and you water down the carbonation as well as the flavor.

Too much carbonation and very watery, despite a very prominent nasty grapefruit aftertaste. I like grapefruit, but this tastes like chemical, over-produced, from concentrate type. Think of Orange Juice vs. Orange Drink.

Overall Impression:
When I last visited Sea World several years back (before I really knew much about beer besides that I did not like BMCs) I went to their Anheuser-Busch beer school and learned that beer is made of barley, water *rice? and hops. I'm a little shocked they still use hops. But that's another story. After the beer school they gave us free samples. They were trying out beer infused with fruit (this was before the BL Lime and Miller Chill crap) and they literally poured a Mich Ultra and mixed it with cherry (or whatever) syrup. It was God-awful. My point is that this beer is the closest thing I've tasted to that, since. It should be noted I've never tried BL lime. I was hoping for a light, slightly fruity nod to the IPA bitterness that can taste grapfruity. As a Texas beer drinker I'm also always in Shiner's corner, morally speaking. But this beer was so bad. So bad.

04-15-2011 00:17:11 | More by kyleelton
OverToad

1.1/5  rDev -65.1%

I had high hopes for this beer. Shiner makes some good beer so I thought what a great idea. Boy was I wrong.

The beer looks nice as you pour it but that's where it stops.

Taste is just horrible. All I taste Is strong ginger ale and no grapefruit.

Mouthful reminds me of the fountain drInks that run out of syrup.

This has to be the worst beer I have ever had and I've had some bad ones.

06-20-2011 13:23:39 | More by OverToad