Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Ratings: 1,098 | Reviews: 252
3.67/5  rDev +15%

I poured a 12 oz bottle into my Sierra Nevada pint glass.

The beer was a golden amber color with a white soapsy head that disappeared quickly. The smell is mostly ginger with grapefruit backing it up and a hint of citrus peel. The taste is dominated by ginger, it's tart and a bit sour, the aftertaste is grapefruit rind. The beer is very light and spritzy with attacking carbontaion and a nice dry finish. This beer kind of shocked me coming from Shiner, most of there beers are plain and similar but this is very different, but good.

3.67/5  rDev +15%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day.

3.67/5  rDev +15%

The appearance is of a flat golden hue that had a nice head that disappated quickly leaving minamal lace.

Wow, the ginger and grapefruit are out on the front for sure, This is interesting.A slight malty goodness is up front then the ginger grapefuit kicks in hard. There seems to be some hops in there but they must be teased out.

The flavor follows the nose with the exception that therte is a hop bitterness and some hop citrus.

This is light and for good reason, It is from the south.

I like this brew, it is true to a summer beer for us in the extreme heat. Bravo Spoetzl we love your stuff here in south carolina.

3.66/5  rDev +14.7%

Got this bottle for free today from my beer guy.

Drank straight from the bottle, but poured a bit out to see the color and head.

Poured a nice amber with a short bright white head. Gone within seconds.

Smells pretty neat, lots of grapefruit and ginger. More fruit and citrus than ginger which is good.

Tastes pretty damn good. I can see how they call this the "perfect summer beer" Very light and refreshing. Easily drinkable on a hot summer day. Over the course of the beer, the ginger makes more of an appearance in the taste. Kinda kills all the wonderful grapefruit I had at the beginning.

Very light and crisp mouthfeel, as a summer beer should be.

Overall this is a good beer. Not great, but enough to keep me happy during ahot summer day. Well done shiner!

3.66/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't care what anyone says, this is a pretty good brew. far superior to the original shiner bock, and with a well executed twist of creativity that I find just right for warm weather sessioning. the appearance is nothing special, an understated pale ale color with a moderate but rapidly fading white head and very little visible carbonation. the nose has some fresh ginger and a medium American malt base. there is also some interesting citrus notes coming from this, I cant yet pick it out as grapefruit, but it absolutely smells thirst quenching. the flavor is sharp sweet red tangy grapefruit right up front. really fresh and tasty, with the ginger taking more of the spotlight towards the finish. a very refreshing beer indeed. only mildly acidic from the grapefruit, and very very light in body with dancing carbonation, this is a beer I could drink all day on the boat or at a picnic. its got that summery vie to it without using lemons or lager yeast or any of the usual suspects really. easily the best diner brew ive had, despite its mostly negative feedback here on BA. ill buy this again.

3.65/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a pretty clear, slightly reddish amber - no head, but that must have been an artifact of the pour. Malty aroma has a dusty tone, like powdered fruit drink. Malty flavor has a fruity undertone, apple and cherry with a hint of pear, and a subtle sour undertone. Texture has about average body and fizz. I didn’t seem to get any grapefruit, but this is a tasty and distinctive beer. Let it fly down your throat.

3.64/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is the first time that I have ever heard of this beer and I bought some and It is actually really good. It is refreshing and has a fruity taste to it. I have always liked shiner beers but this one is really good. The smell to it is not that bad as well. I tried it for the first time on vacation and I really liked it. I am hoping that I can find some here at home. Shiner made a good summer beer. It is refreshing and not too strong of a taste at the same time. The smell is actually good as well. It is not too heavy or too light and I like that. For anyone who likes Shiner beers they should try this beer.

3.64/5  rDev +14.1%

A- A pale rusty gold color. Head starts to rise but as quickly as it rises it disappears into nothing. Lots of little bubblies active throughout rest of beer.

S- A faint but very pleasurable aroma of pepper and yeast with kicks of citrus and red grapefruits.

T- Taste is decent. Again with the yeast and pepper, great pepper and grapefruit notes. But, the taste could be a little stronger and more complex. A great small biting bitterness in the finish. But again, taste is almost as faint as the smell.

M- Medium to light body. Tingly mild carbonation.

O- Refreshing summer beer. Pretty decent, I guess. I like the hints of grapefruit throughout.

3.64/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured into a straight pint glass.

A. Kind of an orange-amber colour with no head and plenty of rising bubbles.

S. Not bad - some ginger spice and plenty of citrus. A bit grainy too I think.

T. I'm getting much less grapefruit in the taste than I did in the nose, and much more ginger, but the spice is still relatively subdued and not overpowering. I can feel it more than taste it.

M. Kinda thin and watery. Lots of prickly carbonation... or is that the ginger?

O. I could definitely see me drinking a couple of these on a sweltering, baking Texas day in July or August. For all its faults it's a pretty good thirst quencher. Put a pint of Live Oak Pilz next to this though... no contest.

I'm always interested to see what Shiner come up with - sometimes it's a winner, sometimes not. I go with thumbs up for this one.

3.63/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a singular purpose - quench your thirst on a hot hot day, and THAT it will do exquisitely well.

The addition of the ruby red grapefruit and ginger, adding to the astringency of the hops - outstanding combination.

This is a rather "light" brew allowing the flavor of the grapefruit and ginger to "shine" through without being overwhelming... You still know it's beer.

What tastes better after a long day in the hot sun; gardening, weeding, mowing? Of course - a cold brew. What tastes better than a cold brew after a long day doing yard work in the hot sun? Yeah... a Shiner Ruby Redbird.

No wonder the store sold out. (They had a whole pallet of this stuff on the floor on Friday. Monday it was GONE!)

Until now I did not like fruit in my beer. I may have to rethink that.

3.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is good for what it is, lots of grapefruit, some ginger in the background, very refreshing

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a Samuel Adams tasting glass. The label lists the abv at 4.01% and it also gives a nice description of the beer.

Appearance: The body is very clear and light to medium amber in color. It head is off white and quick fading despite a very active carbonation flowing up though the beer. After the first sip the head has completely disappeared and subsequently there is no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The aroma is light overall. I get some dry spicy gingerbread notes standing out over light grainy maltiness.

Taste / Palate: The flavor starts with a light grainy base malt with notes of ginger and mild white peppercorn. Very mild notes of tart grapefruit like citrus move in and lead into the dry snappy finnish. Hop favor seems very subdued but very complimentary to the Ruby Red grapefruit juice and it definitely adds to the dryness. The palate feels light and quite lively.

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like this beer. Is the spice clove or ginger? The combination with grapefruit works for me.

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%

A- Pours a light orange color, quite clear. Basically no head even with a fairly agressive pour- I've got to dock some points for that, the beer just looks kinda of syrupy- like a warm orange soda.

S- A kick of ginger hits my nose. It's kind of nice- somewhere between fresh and candied ginger. I'm searching for some fruit or malt or hops but all I'm getting is ginger. But to be honest I like that. It really appeals to my proclivity for ginger ale, and spicy gingery ginger ale.

T- That is... weird. Much drier and more minerally than expected. I guess the look tricked me into expecting a super sweet beer, but that's not what I get. The ginger flavor is watered down. The grapefruit is there, not super strong, but coming out especially in the aftertaste, like eating a fresh grapefruit slice pith and all.

M- I could definitely take more carbonation in this beer. The ginger makes it sharper than it would be otherwise, but even so it would make for a better refreshing beer.

O- I expected to really like a grapefruit and ginger flavored beer, but I wasn't expecting to be super impressed with a Shiner beer. So I think this met those combined expectations. I like the ginger smell, but the taste is a little too watery.

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You need to like Grapefruit to enjoy this beer
Its a bit sweet as well, all in all a good grab for a hot day

it pours light to medium gold with a grapefruit citrus hitting you in the face, the hops are lacking like others have commented. The key here is the grapefruit and effervescent quality. So if your looking for an enjoyable summer beer you have one

3.59/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint: Transparent light gold with no head.

Smells of grapefruit & ginger (duh, I know, but yeah), lemon, a little tea.

Taste is citrus soda (Fresca, like) with ginger & a light, slightly musty & dry Euro-ish lager taste. Moderately crisp bitter at the end with nice grapefruit peel & ginger aftertaste.

Light-bodied with an assertive dryness & kick from carbonation that's apparently hidden visually. Leave a sort of heavy bristle in aftertaste.

Good summer sipper, & this is my own bias but I'm very into ginger late so that maybe gives it an extra little boost for me right now. Half-soda, half-beer.

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

12 fl oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A: Apple juice color. Lots of fizzy head that dissipates in seconds. Less head then a soda. Bubbles of CO2 remind me of champagne.

S: Honestly, nice smell. Sweet ginger and then the bite of grapefruit. No 'beer' smell really.

T: Taste is nice too. Citrus taste with ginger hints. Slightly sweet. Not too sweet though.

M: Drinks like a sticky soda.

Drinkability is average. I could drink 2 maybe 3, but I wouldn't finish off the 6-pack.

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

I guess this is what shiner replaced their Smokehaus (RIP) beer with. Smells quite a bit like grapefruit and a hint of ginger. I disagree with other reviewers on here that say the ginger is overpowering, I think it works fine. It doesn't suffer from the obnoxious sweetness that plagues a lot of the fruity beers I've tried. Fairly refreshing. I will miss the Smokehaus though (~~RIP~~)

3.57/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a clear, golden straw color. Head is 1/3 inch and white. Lots of bubbles rising throughout, head retention and lacing were average at best.

Beer smells of sweet citrus and some straw malt. For some reason I'm getting the aroma of Sprite or 7-up. Ginger or cinnamon is also detected.

Taste is unique, part mexican lager, part fruit flavored malt beverage ie: Smirnoff. Ginger is probably the most dominant flavor in the beer. Light, crisp malts are also present, hops are not. Alcohol is non existent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp and well carbonated. Head didnt contribute to beer, grapefruit left a bitter citrus-y aftertaste

Overall this was a good, light, thirst quenching summertime beer. Definitely unique with the ginger/grapefruit combo. Wish I could take a growler of this to the pool, great outdoor/patio beer.

3.55/5  rDev +11.3%

I thought this one was pretty good. different. not one I would want to have again.

Bottle into pint glass

A: Golden orange. Very bubbly. One finger head dissipates within a minute.

S: Notes of juniper and lemongrass over grapefruit and small amounts of citrus.

T: A bit watery. Ginger. I can't taste the grapefruit as much as others, I suppose. Lemon with a hint of mint.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light body. Highly carbonated.

O: Drink one (or two) after mowing your lawn.

3.54/5  rDev +11%

Pours a clear golden with hints of orange. Non-existent head. Nice pickled ginger aroma. Taste begins with a big blast of ginger, followed by a bit of grapefruit sweetness. After that is a little bready maltiness. Very clean, neutral finish. Not bitter at all despite the grapefruit flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall a pretty good beer, light and refreshing.

look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tasted On: 06-09-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Globe glass
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

Orange-amber in color, clear, with a small white head. The head fades quickly with low retention and really no lacing to speak of.

Aromas are of grapefruit, and ginger, giving it a smell akin to a ginger ale soda with some fruit additions.

The taste has a bit of tartness up front from the grapefruit, and then features a good amount of ginger - enough to notice, but not so much as to overwhelm like some ginger beers I've had. Tastes like a fruity ginger ale in many ways, but still has some beery characteristics.

The mouthfeel is prickly from the high carbonation, on a light body. Finishes with quite a bit of ginger aftertaste.

Overall an easy-drinking and refreshing hot weather beer, although it doesn't taste quite like a traditional beer.

3.52/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting another shandy type offering but this is way more interesting.

a: nothing too special, thin head.

s: really, really gorgeous. Grapefruit and ginger on top of a mellow toasty smell.

t: not sweet. It's beer, not a cooler or a shandy. There's ginger but it doesn't taste like ginger ale, and there's grapefruit but it doesn't taste like a cocktail. No one particular flavour is really dominant, but it all blends really well.

m: fizzy and refreshing.

o: I bought one of these out of a singles bin and then went back for a twelve-pack. Really well done and more interesting than a lot of the other seasonals.

3.51/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a nice head which evaporates before too long. Lovely orangey yellow shade of beer tone, however. Gingery aroma. Watery body and a pleasant prickly mouthfeel. A richer carbonation would improve this summer beer, however.

Lots of fruit with a citrus edge. The grapefruit taste is distinct without being very bitter. Actually, it doesn't taste anything like the grapefruit we say big hop IPAs taste like. Tangy ginger flavor gives this a spicy touch. Ginger ale, lemonade, and a Witbier taste. Thoroughly drinkable. From the 22 oz botle bought at Depot Liquor in Brownwood, Texas.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner