2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 183 | Show All Ratings:
omnigrits

3.68/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured into a straight pint glass.

A. Kind of an orange-amber colour with no head and plenty of rising bubbles.

S. Not bad - some ginger spice and plenty of citrus. A bit grainy too I think.

T. I'm getting much less grapefruit in the taste than I did in the nose, and much more ginger, but the spice is still relatively subdued and not overpowering. I can feel it more than taste it.

M. Kinda thin and watery. Lots of prickly carbonation... or is that the ginger?

O. I could definitely see me drinking a couple of these on a sweltering, baking Texas day in July or August. For all its faults it's a pretty good thirst quencher. Put a pint of Live Oak Pilz next to this though... no contest.

I'm always interested to see what Shiner come up with - sometimes it's a winner, sometimes not. I go with thumbs up for this one.

04-25-2011 03:34:58 | More by omnigrits
Mora2000

3.15/5  rDev 0%

The beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a white head. The first thing I get in the aroma is some ginger, but I then get some grapefruit notes. The flavor is more of the same. I get some slightly tart grapefruit, ginger and bready malt. Refreshing. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a great beer, but this is better than some other Shiner beers.

04-23-2011 04:22:44 | More by Mora2000
briman

1.68/5  rDev -46.7%

Pours a clear golden amber color, spritzy, but with no head formation whatsoever.

Aroma is strong ginger spice, with a lemony fresh scent.

Flavor follows. Ginger dominates, finishing with a hint of bitterness from a hint of lemon rind.

Medium-light body, with bright carbonation. In all honesty, the lemony freshness of this beer tastes more and more like dish soap the more this warms. After a good run of new beers from Shiner, I have to say this one is ill conceived.

In six years on BA I have never rated a beer an F. Unfortunately, that string is now broken.

04-23-2011 03:16:12 | More by briman
y0crystal

Maryland

3.18/5  rDev +1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice finish.

Its not too sweet, not to fruity. The grapefruit is there but its not too strong, the ginger is slightly watered down. The smell is there more than anything.

its a good summer beer from what I've had, grant it I haven't had too many grapefruit beers. Overall, I enjoyed it.

04-23-2011 02:48:19 | More by y0crystal
zdk9

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Pours a light orange color, quite clear. Basically no head even with a fairly agressive pour- I've got to dock some points for that, the beer just looks kinda of syrupy- like a warm orange soda.

S- A kick of ginger hits my nose. It's kind of nice- somewhere between fresh and candied ginger. I'm searching for some fruit or malt or hops but all I'm getting is ginger. But to be honest I like that. It really appeals to my proclivity for ginger ale, and spicy gingery ginger ale.

T- That is... weird. Much drier and more minerally than expected. I guess the look tricked me into expecting a super sweet beer, but that's not what I get. The ginger flavor is watered down. The grapefruit is there, not super strong, but coming out especially in the aftertaste, like eating a fresh grapefruit slice pith and all.

M- I could definitely take more carbonation in this beer. The ginger makes it sharper than it would be otherwise, but even so it would make for a better refreshing beer.

O- I expected to really like a grapefruit and ginger flavored beer, but I wasn't expecting to be super impressed with a Shiner beer. So I think this met those combined expectations. I like the ginger smell, but the taste is a little too watery.

04-22-2011 04:50:00 | More by zdk9
ottovon

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours out a clear, dark straw color with a thin white head that faded quickly. carbonation racing up the glass. It looks a lot like carbonated apple juice.

S: i get a lot of citrus in the nose. smells like grapefruit and lime. I also get a good amount of ginger, and some straw aromas. there is a sweetness in the aroma as well. i actually like the aroma.

T: i get quite a bit of ginger at first, and then it goes into a grapefruit flavor, and finishes bitter like a grapefruit. it needs a little more malt flavor i feel. it almost tastes like carbonated water, but at the same time i sort of like it.

M: thin and very carbonated.

O: overall i think this is a pretty good beer. it would be perfect for lounging at the pool here in phoenix. This is intended as a summer seasonal, and i think it fits that pretty well. It is thin and refreshing. i dont think i would buy this at the bar, but i would buy a six pack for my next pool party.

04-20-2011 04:37:21 | More by ottovon
loobear

3.43/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Golden orange body with a spritey head that dissolves quickly.

S - Smells like a malty grapefruit. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Interesting.

T - Intense grapefruit on the front, finishes with decent smoothness. Lots of crispness and bite with little harshness. Interesting.

M - I'm yearning for a bit more carbonation. I think that this would make the beer much more enjoyable for me. It has such a smooth finish and plenty of grapefruit character, it seems like the intensity could be lacking in this dept.

O - I've never had a grapefruit beer before. The concept is interesting. Did Shiner deliver? Certainly in flavor. Some areas were lacking IMO, but I did enjoy.

04-19-2011 16:42:37 | More by loobear
ZenAgnostic

1.9/5  rDev -39.7%

12 bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - Clear light golden bronze body with no real head to speak of, just a very thin lace that doesn't stick at all.

Smell - Reminds me of a Squirt softdrink. Maybe a little grapefruit. Very familiar smell, just can't pinpoint it. Maybe a Capri Sun or Hi C...

Taste - Extremely bland. Slight citrus bitter aftertaste. Tastes like seltzer water with an exceedingly small splash of artificial grapejuice.

Mouthfeel - Very slight effervescence. Feels pretty flat overall .

Overall Drinkability - This beer has no redeeming value. It is among the most bland beers I've ever had. Basically a michelob ultra with a worse mouthfeel.

04-19-2011 16:16:48 | More by ZenAgnostic
HardTarget

3.4/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Firm pour gives me no head on an extremely clear amber glass.

Smell: Grapefruit rind with fresh ground ginger, pretty much what it says on the tin. There is some classic Shiner yeast and a bit of a soapy, candle scent, but all in all I like the core smell.

Taste: A small let down from the nose, much more of a soda taste, a ginger ale if you will. The ginger does leave a light heat behind, encouraging the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body, fizzy carbonation, pretty dry finish.

Overall: Ok, I'm a bit of a fanboy for Shiner, but I could see picking up another 6er of this for a Summer sipper, and one I could see offering to guests. Walks a crazy line, but glad to see Shiner willing to take some risks.

04-19-2011 04:15:35 | More by HardTarget
enusbaum

2.23/5  rDev -29.2%

I'd heard mixed reviews of this beer from folks around town and needless to say the almost bi-polar reviews on here intrigued me. Like another reviewer before me, I've never actually written a review on BA for anything, but felt that I should chime in on this one.

A: Poured into a pint glass straight down the middle looking for a head to really release the aroma. About a 1/2 finger head was present for a few seconds before quickly dissipating. Has a nice amber color and visible carbonation.

S: Fresca. No joke. You get a nose full of citrus-y grapefruit which I think it just amped up by the ginger.

T: The first thing I noticed about this beer as it hit the tongue was the carbonation. Next you get a mouthful of grapefruit and citrus notes. Mild, mild hops are present but are just blown away by the grapefruit. Leaves a bitter citrus aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

M: Light and heavy carbonation. Like drinking a 7-Up or Fresca.

O: I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Compared to other "fruit beers" such as Dogfish Head Aprihop or Magic Hat #9, this is falls terribly short. I wouldn't put it in the same flavor category as a Lambic due to how watered down this would taste in comparison.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Miller 64 with a slice ruby red grapefruit added. Very drinkable, but worth it?

Opinions are mixed though. Some people really love it, and some like myself feel let down. All in all, I'd at least say give it a try and reach your own opinion.

04-18-2011 00:38:35 | More by enusbaum
twiggamortis420

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer seems to be pretty polarizing, either you like it or hate it. One thing is for sure though - it IS different. 12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear, dark gold color with a small off-white head. Dissipates quickly to near nothingness.

Nose is mostly ginger but some of the grapefruit pokes out if you look for it. Not much in the way of malt and a faint citra hop presence is barely detectable. I would love for the hops to be more bold on the aroma, but this is Shiner were talkin about.

Taste is out there, that is for sure. More depth than a ginger beer, but the asian root still dominates for the most part. The grapefruit is a nice addition and the malts are kept light and grainy. Hops are low-key but the bitterness is not really missed with the zesty grapefruit and ginger. If it were my recipe, I would dial down the ginger and dry hop it with lots more amarillo and citra. Having said that, I am really enjoying this seasonal offering and am already on my 3rd sixer of it. It is a very good, refreshing summer beer to go with the hot, humid dog days of summer soon to be here. Say what you will about Shiner’s regular lineup, but their seasonals have been innovative and for the most part quite good.

04-17-2011 18:02:27 | More by twiggamortis420
jsh420

1.63/5  rDev -48.3%

pours clear bright copper gold with a 1/2 finger fizzy white head that left no lacing

smells like a fruity seven up with hints of ruby red grapefruit

taste is absolutely awful - it reminds me of a zima i drank in jr. high almost 20yrs ago

mouthfeel is thin - this is an over carbonated soda water they are passing off as beer

overall this might be the worst thing i have ever drank called beer - i got more beer flavor from bud select 55

04-16-2011 23:41:40 | More by jsh420
Kromes

Georgia

3.3/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Clear orange color with no head and lots of noticable carbonation.

S: Smells like malt and ginger.

T: A bready, honey malt background gives way to a ginger and grapefruit flavor. The flavors aren't strong and then disappear quickly.

M: highly carbonated.

O: Call me crazy, but for a summer seasonal beer, this is pretty good. But I do love ginger ale, so I may be biased here. It's light, refreshing, easy drinking, and not overbearing. A great summer session beer.

04-15-2011 23:45:55 | More by Kromes
PossumPissBrews

1.83/5  rDev -41.9%

I actually like beers with fruits brewed in them, but this just wasn't for me. The ginger side of things was a little strange. I feel it was too light for my taste. Seemed thin although it has flavor. The alcohol content is very low for a Shiner beer as well.

Overall I'm not very impressed, but to some that enjoy their beers brewed with fruit, it could be acceptable.

04-15-2011 15:01:50 | More by PossumPissBrews
kyleelton

1.18/5  rDev -62.5%

Out of a bottle into a pint glass.

I've been on BA for awhile and never written a review, but this time I just couldn't stay silent. I knew this would either be awesome or wretched:

As soon as I poured the glass I knew I was in for trouble. The color was okay, but the head and clarity was very seltzery and the light foam dissipated quickly.

I put the glass to my nose and was hit by a fruity, citrus smell that reminded me of a bad Grocery store Sprite knock-off.

My wife, who usually likes fruitier beers, summed it up fairly well. It tastes like watered down Sprite. You know how after ice has melted and you water down the carbonation as well as the flavor.

Too much carbonation and very watery, despite a very prominent nasty grapefruit aftertaste. I like grapefruit, but this tastes like chemical, over-produced, from concentrate type. Think of Orange Juice vs. Orange Drink.

Overall Impression:
When I last visited Sea World several years back (before I really knew much about beer besides that I did not like BMCs) I went to their Anheuser-Busch beer school and learned that beer is made of barley, water *rice? and hops. I'm a little shocked they still use hops. But that's another story. After the beer school they gave us free samples. They were trying out beer infused with fruit (this was before the BL Lime and Miller Chill crap) and they literally poured a Mich Ultra and mixed it with cherry (or whatever) syrup. It was God-awful. My point is that this beer is the closest thing I've tasted to that, since. It should be noted I've never tried BL lime. I was hoping for a light, slightly fruity nod to the IPA bitterness that can taste grapfruity. As a Texas beer drinker I'm also always in Shiner's corner, morally speaking. But this beer was so bad. So bad.

04-15-2011 00:17:11 | More by kyleelton
Spineypanda

3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a golden amber with almost no head.
Smells of sweet malts and citrus.
Taste is overwhelming. Burst of ginger (not fresh tasting) up front and subtle notes of grapefruit. I would have probably stuck with just the grapefruit without the ginger, but it is not awful. A bit of a dish soap taste to it though.

04-14-2011 06:03:59 | More by Spineypanda
Onslow

4.65/5  rDev +47.6%

god help me, i love this beer!!! .. Pours a light ruby tan, low foam .. . light aroma of ginger, grapefruit (weird right?) .. . taste is light grapefruit, and ginger, but i don't like ginger.. what the hell is going on?? this is fantastic!! all i can do is picture cases of this, stacked-chilled and by a pool! .. i can say that the new brewmaster at Spoetzl is really starting to stamp his name on what i thought was a shit brewery- could this be my turning point with Shiner, ..again ... I will be buying more of this... . Someone somewhere wants me crazy

04-14-2011 00:25:45 | More by Onslow
ForWhatAlesYou

2.42/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Nice looking reddish amber. Heavy carbonation present. Little/no lace or head.

S: Big ginger over a pale malt aroma. A little medicinal/antiseptic.

T: I love the taste of both ginger and grapefuit but this is not very good. Finishes metallic. Like weak ginger beer and pine sol.

M: Highly carbonated and invigorating.

D: Never again. "Fool me once..."

I really don't like or understand these novelty beers that have no direction or purpose.

04-13-2011 17:13:24 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
UTCengOwl

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Bought some at Central Market after I started a small debate about it on the Southwest forum. Definitely a unique beer and maybe my favorite Shiner beer... though I guess that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours a clear solid gold with a white head that dissipates quite quickly. If there was any sort of head whatsoever, I'd really like the looks... but there's not.

The nose is ginger ale. Interesting. Am I really drinking beer? Deeper sniffs reveal fleshy, authentic grapefruit. I don't think I've ever had this fruity of a grapefruit flavor in a beer. I'm not sure that I prefer that, but it sure is interesting.

The taste is also mostly Ginger ale. There's also a good adjunct lager behind that. These flavors flow into that same fleshy grapefruit, which leaves a grapefruity bitterness... which doesn't really call forth hops. Interesting again. I wish they used some of the fruitiness of the hops (mmmm.... Citra), but this is a unique offering.

The mouthfeel is that of a smooth adjunct lager. Highly drinkable. Not over carbonated. This stuff goes down quickly and I've already finished my second in half an hour. Just plain interesting stuff.

04-06-2011 00:28:27 | More by UTCengOwl
oreo

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Got this bottle for free today from my beer guy.

Drank straight from the bottle, but poured a bit out to see the color and head.

Poured a nice amber with a short bright white head. Gone within seconds.

Smells pretty neat, lots of grapefruit and ginger. More fruit and citrus than ginger which is good.

Tastes pretty damn good. I can see how they call this the "perfect summer beer" Very light and refreshing. Easily drinkable on a hot summer day. Over the course of the beer, the ginger makes more of an appearance in the taste. Kinda kills all the wonderful grapefruit I had at the beginning.

Very light and crisp mouthfeel, as a summer beer should be.

Overall this is a good beer. Not great, but enough to keep me happy during ahot summer day. Well done shiner!

04-06-2011 00:25:11 | More by oreo
turfy

1.83/5  rDev -41.9%

Had seen this recently and took a chance on a single for $1.49. Oh well...

A - Poured into a Guinness pint glass. A deep gold color with a fizzy, one finger head that dissapated in 30 seconds. No lacing whatsoever.

S - Reminded me of ginger-ale, which makes sense because of the ginger added to beer. Also a faint resin/grapefruit smell.

T - A sour, tart taste with some hop bitterness. A strange experience for my tasttebuds.

M - Very light with more than adequate carbonation. Not much body at all.

D - Bodywise you could drink a ton of these. Taste-wise, one was more than enough for me.

I could see how a combination of Ruby red grapefruit and ginger could make for a very nice summer beer. I imagined it in a well-made wheat or Kolsch with at least some quality and body to it. But for me, this was not it.

04-01-2011 23:35:01 | More by turfy
BrandonWardlaw

4.1/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A very light amber. Pours with a very tiny head that dissipates instantly.

Smell: Frankly, it's bizarre. Not in a bad way, but definitely not a conventional beer whatsoever. The ginger and the grapefruit hit you in the nose right away, and that's all I'm getting out of it.

Taste: Again, bizarre, but in the best of ways. Has a very crisp, gingery bite, which mellows quickly. Finishes with a slight tanginess, and a bit of bitterness at the rear of the palate from the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light. Moderately carbonated. Extremely drinkable.

Overall: This ain't your normal glass of beer. It's pretty out there, and definitely the most adventurous Shiner brew that I've ever had. It's nice to have a citrusy beer that doesn't taste like chemicals and failure (Bud Light Lime, anyone?) The bottle brags that it's the "Perfect Summer Beer", and it might be right. I think it would also pair pretty well with asian or asian fusion dishes. It would be especially good with sushi. I'm sure a lot of BeerAdvocate users are going to give this beer poor reviews ("WHY DOES IT NOT REEK OF HOPS?!?!?", they'll scream), because they seem to love rating beers without regard for their intended drinking context. But if you're looking for an unpretentious, unusual session beer - give this a shot.

03-29-2011 21:13:44 | More by BrandonWardlaw
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

Oddly compelling, Shiner quenches the thirst of Texas with light bodied ale that's jazzed up with grapefruit and ginger. This strange dialogue somehow works out is highly refreshing form.

Medium golden in color, the beer shows bright clarity to highlight its dance of carbonation that races to the surface. Once there, a cottony head emerges only to fall back into the beer soon after. Its a zesty and somewhat fizzy appearance that lacks any lacing at all.

Ginger spice dominates the nose. It tingles and tantalizes the olfactory senses with a backdrop of citrus, apples, and light caramel. A scent of bread crust can be uncovered after the nose becomes accustomed to the more prominent fruit and spice.

Again, getting past the peppery ginger focal point- the acidic taste of grapefruit, lemons, apples and white grapes provide both an estery complement to go along with citrus fruit additions. Supported by the taste of toasted grain and seemingly "Grapenuts" cereal, its a husky almost rye-like underpinning. Lightly hopped, the beer finishes with sassafras-type minty and citrusy bitterness.

Light and zesty in texture, at least while the bubbles are present. The beer feels playfully like champagne and gives the beer a scrubbing refreshment. But those bubbles are short lived and the beer falls quite flat very quickly. This reveals a watery finish that's full of mineral flavor and grain-derived astringency. The spice of ginger saves the beer by covering up its grain flaws with warmth.

Although Ruby Redbird doesn't appear to be the best formulated beer by any means, Its odd recipe comes together in much the same way that creative mixed drinks to. I just wish that the spice and fruit had more malt support

08-26-2013 17:10:00 | More by BEERchitect
Mebuzzard

Colorado

1.99/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

This sells pretty well at my store, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Pours darker than expected. Like a marzen, light copper/caramel. No head after a burst of bubbles.

Aroma is stale or rotten apple skins with some grapefruit rind thrown in there.

Flavors are worse. The grapefruit certainly isn't ruby red. Maybe green grapefruit skins and pulp. That rotten apple is still there in the background. Provides some sweetness, but the bitterness from citrus rinds is too much.

Too much rind and not enough grapefruit flavor. Although that would be unfavorable, too.

Serving type: can

08-13-2013 19:43:24 | More by Mebuzzard
thecheapies

3.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Gold in color. Light tinge of ruby/amber. Goes flat in under a minute.

Big ginger in the nose with a citrusy backdrop. Notes of treacle and faint grapefruit.

Tastes a little like ginger ale. Prominent ginger note comes off very refreshing. Faint citrus notes. Grapefruit is actually a bit of a stretch. A little minty in the finish. I think that's a hop contribution.

Higher carbonation. Weak, because the beer doesn't hold its own in the body.

Refreshing, I guess. Totally one-note. Works like an alcoholic ginger ale. That's pretty more much it.

06-10-2013 00:51:52 | More by thecheapies