Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 246 | Hads: 1,160
3.17/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Sort of a hazy brownish gold color. No head or lacing.

S: Grapefruit, citrus.

T: Bitter but strangely nice and refreshing. Grapefruit is the most prominent w/some citrus.

M: Not much body or carbonation.

O: I'm kind of torn on how to wrap this up. When I break it apart into the above sections nothing really stands out as great, but overall I thought it worked in a weird way. Especially when this beer is served ice cold on a hot, humid, summer day (which was when I tried it). Sort of a polarizing beer, as opinions on it were divided right down the middle at the BBQ I had it at. But I'll definitely pick some up next summer to give it another shot.

3.07/5  rDev -1.3%

This was an interesting beer. Pours a pale, dingy yellow with a fizzy body, medium head, low retention and ok lacing.

The aroma is of pale malts, grapefruit, and ginger.

The taste follows with over the top ginger and grapefruit juice, pale bready malts underneath and a touch of caramel sweetness. Interesting, but tart and strange.

Thin, crisp and watery..a little overcarbonated.

Overall, interesting, not bad, wouldn't drink more than one.

2.95/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a sickly off yellow color with a finger of foam that disappears almost instantly. No lacing whatsoever. Does not looks very nice. Aroma is strong with ginger... reminds me of sushi.

First sip is just a strong ginger flavor. Very lightly carbonated, so it tastes kind of stale as well. I will say it is refreshingly dry, but the flavor itself is pretty unappealing. Thin bodied.

All I really get is the ginger flavor. No sweetness or anything else appealing. I wouldn't get this again.

3.29/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of ginger, pale malt, and slight citrus. Fits the style of a Fruit / Vegetable beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of ginger, slight sweet malt, slight pale malt, and hint of citrus. Overall, session-able, not complex, and almost completely a ginger beer.

2.1/5  rDev -32.5%

Gets off to an unpromising start by topping its orangish golden body with a head as thin and short lived as soda fizz. Aromas are subdued to the point of barely existing. I get a whiff of something like sparkling mineral water, a hint a citrus, and light grains. The grapefruit is only slightly more prominent on the palate. Has flavors of light, nondescript grains, with a few drops of watery fruit punch, with nothing really popping or asserting its presence. I don't detect much in the way of ginger (which the label says it was brewed with). Easily my least favorite of the Shiner lineup.

3.09/5  rDev -0.6%

A: poured a clear dark golden color. No hint of head.
S: citrus, ginger, grapefruit...interesting.
T: kind of astringent..a tad bitter, pick up on ginger and grapefruit the most.
M: thin body, mild carbonation. Tad of a bite on the tongue. Bitter hang. Unremarkable.
O: not a great effort. It could stand to be more flavorful and not quite as cloying.

3.05/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint glass. No obvious date on the bottle - there appears to be a batch stamp but the numbers are meaningless to me.

Appearance: Solid golden orange with a hint of haze to it. Initial white foam upon poured died to nothing - no foam at all. Nice color, but the lack of lacing takes away from it all.

Smell: Very strong ginger smell along with some earthy notes and just a tiny hint of grapefruit. Interesting, but a bit odd as well.

Taste: Solid ginger hit right at the front - like taking a sip of Blenheim Ginger ale. Immediately after the ginger there is that tart grapefruit citrus, but that passes quickly and moves into a earthy spicy finish. It's a very crisp and almost, but not quite, bone dry mouth puckering finish.

Mouthfeel: Super fizzy and highly scouring carbonation on the palate. Very much like ginger ale. If there is anything else in there besides the carbonation I sure can't find it.

Overall: It's like someone combined citrus and a spicy ginger ale - if there is a beer in here it is well hidden. I can see the refreshing aspect to this beer though - especially when the beer is cold and crisp. Definitely would wake you up on a lethargic summer day. But perfect summer beer? No, not quite. Interesting to try but I can't see myself deliberately trying it again.

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my River Horse glass.

A: Light gold with the faintest hint of pink? Or is that my imagination? Head faded very quickly to nothing.

S: Some sweetness, but the nose is dominated by spice, strangely enough. Just a big ginger smell, maybe a bit of clove. Much more intriguing if this were soda.

T: Bit of sweet malt out front, then a total grapefruit/tart citrus bomb. The ginger is present at the end. Seems to get a little better with each sip, perhaps that's my palate being obliterated?

M: Thin, watery, and highly carbonated. Refreshing? I guess.

O: Hard to call this beer. The fruit and spice flavors are the huge majority of the flavor. I get that it is supposed to be refreshing, but I can't imagine enjoying this no matter how thirsty I was.

EDIT: Based on having a second one out of the bottle whilst hot and sweaty, I've adjusted the scores slightly. Not good, but a bit better.

2.98/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. No visible best before date.

A: Head dissipates before it can even form, leaving nothing on the top. A view bubbles inside a clear, dull golden beer.

S: The ginger overwhelms almost everything. Seriously, it smells like ginger ale. Underneath, the nose catches a glimpse of citrus and maybe hops, it's hard to tell.

T: The grapefruit does serve to partially balance the gingerness, but most of the flavour and feel still comes from the sharp, pervasive spice. Otherwise, the beer is watery (to avoid the pejorative, perhaps I should say 'quenching') and plain. The label claims Citra and Cascade hops, but I can't find them, unless it's the within the gingery dryness right at the end. More likely, they're buried under the copious amounts of (pleasant) grapefruit. I still think this beer tastes like a soft drink -- lemon-lime ginger ale?

M: Well done. Both interesting and thirst-quenching. Nice on a hot day. I suspect this beer is meant to be drunk from the bottle; perhaps I would find it improved if the emphasis were on feel than smell and taste.

O: An interesting beer, if not a good one. I didn't mind drinking it. I wouldn't have another, but I wouldn't say anything against ordering one.

3.49/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours joney colored with near zero beige head.
Zero head rentention & lacing

S: Peaches & grassyness, faint ginger notes

T: Peaches & grassy notes, plus red grapefruit up front. A touch of dryness, a bit of honey & more red grapefruit, along with white grape & faint peach notes. Finishes fairly crisp with a nice grapefruit sweetness/bitterness

MF: Light bodied crisp

A very easy drinker, that exceeded my expectations, going down good on a "cool" 95 degree Oklahoma evening

3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a light copper, no head, and a lot of carbonation rising to the top. Nose is strong ginger with just a hint of citrus. Taste is predominantly ginger with hints of grapefruit. The ginger really dominates, not in a bad way (because I like ginger), but the grapefruit doesn't get an equal share here. This beer is heavily carbonated, very light, and crisp.

It's not awful. It's at least different from most light, tasteless summer beers.

2.44/5  rDev -21.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured a golden color.... no head, no lacing... Not a good start... looks flat.. giving a 1.5 because it looks a little like beer.

S: I'm getting the grapefruit right up front.... little hint of ginger.

T: OK, the ginger and malt hit first.... when a wave of tart grapefruit hits you and it hits hard... Finish is pretty clean with a little tart after taste.. Not much else here.

M: Light to mid bodied with no carbonation. A little flat.

O: Strangely not a horrible beer... I'm thinking I got a bad beer here... The tartness of the grapefruit was a little different from most fruit beers I've had.

2.05/5  rDev -34.1%

Ruby Redbird

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours clear pale amber with a fizzy head that fizzles out immediately. Very good effervescence.

S: Smells like I cracked open a Vernor's. Beyond the ginger ale, I find no additional aromas.

T: No beer in taste, either. Grapefruit peels to ginger ale then medium bitterness and something like stewed vegetables. Bone dry. Finish is thin and faded ginger and grapefruit bitterness.

M: Light body and bright carbonation. Fizzy and crisp mouthfeel.

O: After a couple of drinks of Ruby Redbird, I thought to myself, "Are Texans really drinking this shit?" Honestly, the smell of freshly grated is such a tease when you follow it up with this beer. Gimmicky, one-trick pony.

2.8/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, no bottle date.

Pours a light golden color with a minimal white head which dissipates almost instantly, no lacing what so ever, a stream of carbonation forms in the middle, nothing special. Smells are of ginger with hints of grapefruit. Feel is very light but perhaps what you'd expect with a summer beer. The taste is light of ginger with a little bread malts with a grapefruit after taste and not a good hoppy grapefruit, but a rancid rotten one which I hope doesn't linger much longer. Yeah its a summer beer, pretty light and maybe easy to drink (don't confuse with worthwhile to drink), but not at all to my taste. What a disappointment considering how much I love a good ginger beer (the non alcoholic stuff).

3.42/5  rDev +10%

It pours nicely, looks like an IPA colourwise, good 1 finger head of foam, not much lacing. The foam leaves the scene very quickly but the colour is nice.

The smell is attractive to me; strong nose of ginger, side note of some grapefruit.

The taste is so similar to the smell and what I expected after taking a few whiffs. Ginger takes no. 1, grapefruit no.2, and for what Spoetzl intended, or at least what I think they intended, they hit the nail on this one. I love a good ginger ale, ginger beer...so I'm enjoying sipping and drinking this 4.01%abv concoction. I guess it *could* have been listed as one of them there malternatives but like I said it's doing okay for me and I do find it rather refreshing. My bucks wasted on a 6 pack? Nah.

2.83/5  rDev -9%

Pours dark orangish yellow with a foamy white head. The smell is tart, with a noticeable grapefruit smell, but not overwhelming. The taste in interesting, the citrus and grapefruit dominate, with the other beer qualities taking a back seat. The flavors are not as expected, but they do push the limits of fruit beers. This one had light carbonation and a decent mouthfeel. I do not think I would buy this again, the flavor just wasn't refreshing as I thought it would be.

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%

A grapefruit and ginger beer.

Looks like a clear golden colored soda with fizzy carbonation to match. No head at all, thin body, as if it is trying to be a shandy. The problem with this is that the beer was *brewed* with the grapefruit juice, so that it can't technically be called a shandy. Judged as a beer, the texture and appearance are not good.
The first thing that hits on the nose is the strong ginger aroma, followed by minor chords of citrus peel (but distinctly NOT from hops) and than the bready malt underneath. Perhaps even the slight hint of cinnamon. Tastes dry and pleasingly spicy, puckers you up with grapefruit acidity in the middle of the sip but that element gets out of the way rather than building up cloyingly, so bonus points for that.
Behaves like a 50/50 blend of summer beer and ginger ale that somebody squeezed the essential oils of a piece of red grapefruit rind into. Does indeed fill the role of a summer thirst-quencher, but it is one of those strange brews that fall into the category of "barely even able to call it beer anymore."
The basic malt and yeast of a beer are often lost beneath ginger ale elements in this brew, which may or may not be a problem for you depending upon what you are seeking from your bottle. An excellent thirst-quencher with nice flavor? It has you covered. A craft beer? Umm...not exactly.

3.04/5  rDev -2.3%

pours out a clear dark gold colour with athin fizzy head reducing to nothing in a heartbeat. fruity aroma...of course there is grapefruit, then a mix of malty sugar and other sweet, slightly tropical smells. flavour follows suit with fruity overtones of grapefruit and sweet malts. pretty dry in the finish and there is the slightest hint of some herbal and astringent hopping. crisp and clean mouthfeel with a bottomless body. i could pound the hell out of this on a hot day, like today.

overall...another shiner product that appeals to the least sophisticated of us...BUT...this has a certain appeal to those of us that enjoy and like marguiritas, etc. on hot days and in the sun. a summer quencher for sure that can be drank right out of the bottle with no regrets.

the label does say serve ice cold on a hot day...fair enough!!

3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

I saw this one on tap during my last visit to Houston. I like some of Shiner’s offerings so I thought I would give this one a try.

Served in a standard shaker, the beer is copper with minimal head. It has a nose of citrus, sugars and malts.

Taste starts sweet. Red grapefruit, minimal hops some grainy malt. Beer turns citrus puckering midglass. In fact it becomes more unbalanced as it warms.

Mouth is bordering thin but zippy carbonation makes it average. Glad I tried it, would only repeat on occasion.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A; A not unattractive beer with a deep golden body and light beige, tightly bubbled head. Brilliant Clarity and pretty good active carbonation, though head retention is poor.

S: Grapefruit, but not hoppy. Closer inspection gives some amber malts, but a displeasing...something. Musty?

T: Hmmm, yeah. No. Tastes more like rind than fruit. No classic off flavors, just a poor blending on ingredients I think.

M: Good, just what I would expect from a summer beer. Appropriate carbonation for fruity styles as well.

D; Nope.

3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

This was a decent beer. It had a strong grapefruit smell which is to be expected from a beer that hinges the flavor profile on the fruit. It often reminded me of Shiner's Hefeweizen, but that may have been due to the citrus notes. It was refreshing on a hot day and I would have it again, but I don't really see myself buying a six pack of it. Not great, not bad. A decent beer.

3.36/5  rDev +8%

Okay, so it's a fruit beer, and fruit beer's really don't taste like traditional beers with a solid malt bill.

Shiner Ruby Redbird is kind of like a ginger ale, but with alcohol. I'm talking about a serious ginger ale, not the mass produced "natural flavors" ginger ale.

In my light it looks amber-orange. The head left in a hurry. It smells of ginger up front with the sweet bitterness of grapefruit in the shadows. Again, it tastes and feels like a ginger ale. My guess is there is not one cultivar of hops listed in the ingredients for this recipe, but I haven't seen the blackbook of the brewmaster. Call it a hop-free beer if you can stand to imagine such a blasphemous concoction.

Refreshing? Yes. Satisfying? Sure. Does it stand a chance when I've got a choice between it and Bell's Amber Ale or another favorite of mine, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo? No. That being said, nice try.

I like you Shiner Ruby Redbird, but I don't love you.

3.72/5  rDev +19.6%

This new seasonal from shiner cut the heat like A lightsaber. Even though most any frosty cold beer will cool you down on a hot summers day, The Ruby Rerbird did it with style.

I poured right into the pint glass, and though I was expecting a deep, sanguine red ale (on account of the name), I was surprised to see a hazy, rustic yellow ale. Either way it smelled fantastic, biting at my senses with that ginger aroma. Whooo-eee! If anything, the ginger kick dominates the grapefruit addition - but its still there. The fruity notes are undeniably there on the palette.

Good mouth feel, if not a little fizzy right? Better try a second to be absolutely sure.

2.58/5  rDev -17%

Pours an orange/amber, and the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is very strong on citrus, and the taste follows. It's grapefruit, but tastes more like lemon to me. The acidic citrus flavor and the ginger are just overpowering, and overshadow any other beer flavors that might be there.

This is a confusing beer. It is crisp and refreshing, but just tastes out of balance. If they tweaked the recipe a bit, they might be on to something. For summertime concept fruit beers, I'd go with 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is not a repeat buy for me, even though I give them credit for creativity.

2.58/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Big thanks to my friend Audrey who brought some up with her from the ATL.

A: Crystal clear pale golden. Aggressive pour has head foam up big and fast and disappear almost as quickly. Strong bubbles come up from the middle. No lacing to speak of.

S: Hmmm...the grapefruit and ginger are there but so is the smell of pale malt. It literally smells like a weak ginger ale. Interesting smell but I've definitely smelled better from fruit/vegetable beers.

T: Yeesh. Um. A weak mix of ginger and um...beer. Sorta. Man. This is a tough one to power through. Like a flat not-so-sweet ginger ale.

M: Light-bodied, highly carbonated, watery even. Leaves a weird stickiness that disappears quickly.

O: Thankfully this was a freebie. There are just so many good summer beers, I'm not sad that this one is available in a store near me. Avoid.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner