2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 183 | Show All Ratings:
Axnjxn

4.04/5  rDev +28.3%

Served on tap at Sam's in Durham. Poured into a DFH pint glass

Pours a light golden color with a very minor head. It has a very pronounced sweet and fruity nose. Very pleasant. The taste is best described as refreshing. Extremely easy to drink. Medium carbonation and a light feel make the drinkability extremely high.

Overall a solid, enjoyable summer beer. Probably my go to beer for the summer. If you dont like this beer, then you dont like summer!

04-13-2013 00:31:14 | More by Axnjxn
woodychandler

4.33/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I CAN hardly CANtain my joy at having found this in the cooler at Bocktown (Robinson) during my recent visit to Da Burgh. The CANQuest (TM) rejoices!

From the CAN: "Summer Seasonal Beer"; "Beer brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Serve ice cold on hot days".

It is hot and humid and my asthma is kicking into high gear today, so this would be the day for it. It is plenty cold, coming right out of my reefer and once the Crack happens, an inverted Glug into my glass. The nose is amazing! The ginger is pungent and the grapefruit only enhances the smell. I got a brief finger of tawny head following the Glug, but the humidity killed it. Mouthfeel was thin and a little watery, but the taste was very gingery, almost tea-like in its mellowness. Finish was really dry and quite refreshing. I would load a cooler with CANs for a day at the beach.

My original Bottle review of 16 Feb 2013:

Local trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me, along with a buncha others in a mixed case. I always look forward to his CARE packages and I try to reCANpricate as best as I CAN muster between visits.

From the bottle: "The perfect summer brew"; "Summer seasonal ale brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Ginger [-] all natural tropical spice"; "Grapefruit [-] sweet citrus of the Rio Grande Valley"; "Serve ice cold on hot days"; "This crisp, refreshing summer seasonal is brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice, the signature citrus of the Rio Grande Valley. Tartness from the grapefruit and a delightful kick from ginger combine for a taste that's perfect for hot summer days. Its deep gold color and full body come from pure Munich malt and Mt. Hood, Citra and Cascade hops balance the flavor well."; "There's nothing finer! Than a summertime Shiner!"

I am always put in mind of the early Hawaiian Punch ads with Punchy, asking the tourist if he'd like a nice Hawaiian Punch. When he responds in the affirmative, Punchy promptly punches him, resulting in a black eye. I cringe in Texas, especially when ogling the Flying Saucer waitstaff and someone asks me, "Hey, pal, how'd you like a Shiner?" I do not follow my instinct and likewise nod in the affirmative and then go into a defensive stance. YMMV.

Did I mention my new student, named "Tawny"? What a great name, and I had a dense finger of tawny head with good retention following my pour. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was AMAZING - I caught an initial whiff of grapefruit, but then the ginger suddenly hit me in the sinus cavity! I actually sneezed in surprise. I am all for truth in advertising, but this was unexpected. The mouthfeel was medium, but it was abrasive in its flavor as I was basking in the ginger on the tongue. I still think that Clove Life Savers were the best I ever had as a kid and this reminded me of one of them. The tart of the grapefruit seemed to be lost until the swallow and its incredibly dry finish. No wonder this is a summer beer - it was like liquid alum. My throat constricted and I began to gasp for air. This wasn't dry, it was downright arid! Wow. I definitely want one at a more appropriate time of year.

Serving type: can

02-16-2013 22:40:18 | More by woodychandler
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a pretty clear, slightly reddish amber - no head, but that must have been an artifact of the pour. Malty aroma has a dusty tone, like powdered fruit drink. Malty flavor has a fruity undertone, apple and cherry with a hint of pear, and a subtle sour undertone. Texture has about average body and fizz. I didn’t seem to get any grapefruit, but this is a tasty and distinctive beer. Let it fly down your throat.

08-05-2012 22:05:13 | More by Cyberkedi
Darkmagus82

3.15/5  rDev 0%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Served a amber color with a tiny white foam of a head. The foam head faded fast to give almost no lacing.

Smell – The aromas were of a light wheat maltiness with a good deal of sweet grapefruit aroma.

Taste – The taste was very similar to the nose. It had a light wheat base which in the beginning that was mixed with a sweeter grapefruit flavor. The grapefruit bittered a bit as the taste went on leaving a light sour taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer was quite light and the carbonation level was very average. The light body suited the grapefruit flavors well, although a more robust level of carbonation may have been more fitting for the beer.

Overall – Very easy to drink on a warm summer day (which is how I had it). With the low abv and easy drinking style it makes for a good session beer.

06-10-2012 19:56:04 | More by Darkmagus82
Beerfreak676

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Basically it has a light taste of ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass and other citrus characteristics.It all comes together perfectly.To be honest with y'all,look at all the reviews on tap.Not many huh...but there aren't any bad ones.Where as the bottle has horrible reviews mixed in with OK(& great ones scattered around). Sounds like with the bottle of this beer sometimes there is too much carbonation and off tap that problem has not come up at Bombay bar.I have a 32oz bottle of this in my fridge right now but I'm leaving this review for the "tap" because it's simply better and every connoisseur "knows this".In my opinion if you thought it tasted like "bad soda" then I recommend you look up a bar in your area and ask if they have it on tap,guarantee that shit won't happen to you again.

05-10-2012 07:49:22 | More by Beerfreak676
Infamous7100

3.08/5  rDev -2.2%

A: poured a clear dark golden color. No hint of head.
S: citrus, ginger, grapefruit...interesting.
T: kind of astringent..a tad bitter, pick up on ginger and grapefruit the most.
M: thin body, mild carbonation. Tad of a bite on the tongue. Bitter hang. Unremarkable.
O: not a great effort. It could stand to be more flavorful and not quite as cloying.

08-23-2011 20:18:41 | More by Infamous7100
wingman14

2.8/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours dark orangish yellow with a foamy white head. The smell is tart, with a noticeable grapefruit smell, but not overwhelming. The taste in interesting, the citrus and grapefruit dominate, with the other beer qualities taking a back seat. The flavors are not as expected, but they do push the limits of fruit beers. This one had light carbonation and a decent mouthfeel. I do not think I would buy this again, the flavor just wasn't refreshing as I thought it would be.

07-26-2011 22:25:22 | More by wingman14
Redrover

3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

I saw this one on tap during my last visit to Houston. I like some of Shiner’s offerings so I thought I would give this one a try.

Served in a standard shaker, the beer is copper with minimal head. It has a nose of citrus, sugars and malts.

Taste starts sweet. Red grapefruit, minimal hops some grainy malt. Beer turns citrus puckering midglass. In fact it becomes more unbalanced as it warms.

Mouth is bordering thin but zippy carbonation makes it average. Glad I tried it, would only repeat on occasion.

07-15-2011 17:52:33 | More by Redrover