1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 653 | Reviews: 182 | Show All Ratings:
OneDropSoup

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint: Transparent light gold with no head.

Smells of grapefruit & ginger (duh, I know, but yeah), lemon, a little tea.

Taste is citrus soda (Fresca, like) with ginger & a light, slightly musty & dry Euro-ish lager taste. Moderately crisp bitter at the end with nice grapefruit peel & ginger aftertaste.

Light-bodied with an assertive dryness & kick from carbonation that's apparently hidden visually. Leave a sort of heavy bristle in aftertaste.

Good summer sipper, & this is my own bias but I'm very into ginger late so that maybe gives it an extra little boost for me right now. Half-soda, half-beer.

10-07-2012 11:49:32 | More by OneDropSoup
tronester

Oklahoma

3.53/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a clear golden with hints of orange. Non-existent head. Nice pickled ginger aroma. Taste begins with a big blast of ginger, followed by a bit of grapefruit sweetness. After that is a little bready maltiness. Very clean, neutral finish. Not bitter at all despite the grapefruit flavor. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. Overall a pretty good beer, light and refreshing.

09-19-2012 23:48:35 | More by tronester
DerbeerSlug

2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, but my wife is. So, my review of this has this as a starting point. To start off, it had a nice looking color in the glass but not much in the way of head. You can definitely smell the ginger and grapefruit. It's a very interesting conversation. The taste is an interesting mix of grapefruit, ginger, and beer. I can't say that I preferred the taste, but my wife loved it.

09-12-2012 15:55:33 | More by DerbeerSlug
VelvetExtract

2.58/5  rDev -18.1%

A-Pours a cloudy red grapefruit juice color. Head fizzles off to nothing. Actually does look like fruit juice. Doesn't really lace.

S-Ginger ale. Grapefruit too (and not derived from hops) Just grapefruit doused in granulated sugar. The creepy spawn of a Schweppes and Schlitz.

T-Ginger ale with sugary grapefruit. Then an odd yeasty component. Flavors combat one another. The ginger ale is very off putting. Beer?

M-Light but sugary. Plenty of bubbles. Like a soft drink; not surprising.

O/D-Ale brewed with ginger and grapefruit? About $6.75 a six-pack? I guess I'll give her a shot. Bad idea. My girlfriend loved it because it tasted so much like ginger ale. I hated it for the same reason. And boy, when this beer warmed, it really became frightening.

09-10-2012 02:27:41 | More by VelvetExtract
tjsdomer2

3.95/5  rDev +25.4%

Appearance: I don't love the foam or the lacing. I like the carbonation. I absolutely love the color! It's glowing amber-red-pink, almost radiant, but not unnaturally so.

Smell: Sour/bitter grapefruit. Extremely refreshing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I have to admit I really liked this. It's amazingly refreshing on a hot summer day in Chicago. It definitely tastes like grapefruit, but doesn't seem artificial (although I don't actually know if this is the case or not). To be fair, the grapefruit does make it fairly one dimensional.

Overall Drinkability: A fruit beer that actually tastes like beer.

08-31-2012 03:21:58 | More by tjsdomer2
Brewnah

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

08-30-2012 22:46:03 | More by Brewnah
cyclonece09

Maryland

2.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a dark straw color with a small white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of very light grain and a little citrus, but not that strong. Tastes of grain with citrus flavoring added, not that great. Beer is very smooth with its light body, but has a little too much carbonation. Overall, a very average beer.

08-30-2012 02:32:07 | More by cyclonece09
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours golden with no head and no real lacing.

The smell is of sweet grapefruit and some ginger. There is a slight "beer" smell, but it smells more like a fruity malt drink.

The taste is of sweet grapefruit juice. Grapefruit from the juice, slightly "artificial", certainly not from the hops. There is some dryness from the ginger in the finish.

It is light-bodied and crisp.

If you want a nicely carbonated summer refresher with grapefruit juice and ginger that has some "beer" character it's not a bad choice. It is what it is.

08-28-2012 20:34:47 | More by jwc215
razordm

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

This is my favorite Shiner beer, but I also do like and drink grapefruit juice as well. Despite that fact, I was a bit apprehensive about "beer and grapefruit" but it was quite good. The amount and flavor of grapefruit was just right; not overbearing but enough to tell (without knowing the name) what fruit was included. Will definitely buy this again.

08-26-2012 22:25:55 | More by razordm
OnDrawnWings

4.83/5  rDev +53.3%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal.

08-13-2012 00:40:06 | More by OnDrawnWings
ChrisAceGates

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

It appeared as any other summer offering that's not too light.

Didn't have a strong smell, was crisp and light.

The taste reminded me somewhat of a shandy, with grapefruit juice used as opposed to lemonade. Very drinkable.

The mouthfeel, again, reminded me of a shandy. Not filling but very clean, easy to drink down.

It was enjoyable, seems to be a nice compliment to TexMex or other spicy foods. A good beer for a hot summer day.

08-09-2012 15:33:20 | More by ChrisAceGates
Pgstarr

3.4/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Good light summer beer. Has a nice grapefruit undertones. Nothing spectacular but good for what it is. I keep it out by the pool to enjoy on hot summer days in Houston. It is a bit thin, but part of the summer beer appeal. I drink it straight from the bottle so I can not comment on color or head.

08-07-2012 19:27:58 | More by Pgstarr
Minkybut

2.13/5  rDev -32.4%

I poured this seriously nasty brew into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The brew (and I'm calling that because its not beer) was slightly red/pinkish and poured a really weak head. It smelled like coca cola believe it or not and was just about as carbonated tasting. The taste was fruity/sour yuk!. I love Shiner Bock but I'll never put another of these up to my mouth.

08-03-2012 17:47:51 | More by Minkybut
RickS95

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev -10.2%

Doesn't look like much, but it's not a total loss. Dark golden straw colored, think Bud only darker. There is the faintest of red mixed in. The head is white and you can hear the bubbles start to explode immediately. The head is thick, and gone, in no time.

I like the smell. Candy notes envelope the nose almost as soon as the cap is off the bottle. Has more of a cherry smell than anything.

Has a fruit-ish flavor to it, but not something I'd guess to be red grapefruit. It's clearly citrus of some sort, but it tastes like juice concentrate more than anything.

Little feel. Watered down. Slight carbonation. Tart. Almost a medicinal feel. Some heat on the throat in the swallow, but not sure where it comes from because it's not alcohol and it's not very hoppy (it's the ginger as it turns out).

Another swing and miss by the Shiner folks. Not something I'd want to drink again, even on a hot day as the bottle suggests. No character.

07-26-2012 03:04:09 | More by RickS95
soju6

Missouri

2.6/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear bright copper color with a small head that fades quickly to no lacing.

S: Aroma of citrus primarily grapefruit and ginger.

T: Taste of ginger and grapefruit with a hint of grain in the background. More of a tart than bitterness and a bit of lingering ginger.

F: Light body, crisp and refreshing.

O: Not bad for what it is. Goes best with hot summer days.

07-21-2012 19:14:39 | More by soju6
raznug

2.7/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color and is topped with no head at all, when I poured it the carbonation that appeared left quicker than I could get it to show up.
Smell: The beer smells rather clean with just a hint of malt and hop aromas.
Taste: The beer tastes exactly as it smells clean and simple just like a beer on a hot day should be.
Mouthfeel: Redbird is a rather thin bodied easy drinking beer that I would have liked a lot more if it had a better flavor profile. This is a rather disappointing beer out of Shiner, TX.

07-21-2012 11:01:17 | More by raznug
jeffack

3.48/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pale yellow-orange. Hardly any head.

As one other reviewer has said, this smelled like ginger ale.

It tasted like less-sweet ginger ale. Not much bitterness to speak of. I got the grapefruit flavor, but only because I was looking for it. As a grapefruit lover, I wish there had been more; it certainly could have helped balance the very-sweet flavor.

This is the first gingery-beer I've had, and I think I liked the idea of it more than the result; I'd rather it be a little more beer and less ginger-ale; mixing this 50-50 with a good wheat beer might result in a pretty good product.

Overall, it was a nice change and decent summer brew.

07-19-2012 22:40:05 | More by jeffack
Strix

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured almost exactly like ginger ale, fizzy carbonation that disappeared instantly. Slightly yellower than ginger ale, but otherwise looks like pop.

Ginger is the main thing I pick up in the nose.

Interesting. I think I could create this with 50% ginger ale, 30% water, and 20% macro lager. Not really picking up the grapefruit, I guess that's why people use hops instead of actual grapefruit. That said, the flavor is growing on me. Light and crisp. Ginger in the finish, though sort of a stale grassy note in there as well.

Very carbonated.

You know, this was interesting, and I'm still not convinced it's actually a beer, but if I were in Texas and it was like 120 degrees out, I bet it would go down easy. Maybe I'm feeling charitable, or I just like ginger ale, but as a mindless summer beer, this was all right.

06-24-2012 00:46:43 | More by Strix
angelmonster

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a clear, golden straw color. Head is 1/3 inch and white. Lots of bubbles rising throughout, head retention and lacing were average at best.

Beer smells of sweet citrus and some straw malt. For some reason I'm getting the aroma of Sprite or 7-up. Ginger or cinnamon is also detected.

Taste is unique, part mexican lager, part fruit flavored malt beverage ie: Smirnoff. Ginger is probably the most dominant flavor in the beer. Light, crisp malts are also present, hops are not. Alcohol is non existent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp and well carbonated. Head didnt contribute to beer, grapefruit left a bitter citrus-y aftertaste

Overall this was a good, light, thirst quenching summertime beer. Definitely unique with the ginger/grapefruit combo. Wish I could take a growler of this to the pool, great outdoor/patio beer.

06-13-2012 02:44:46 | More by angelmonster
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.05/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from the bottle a clear amber orange with a thin off-white head.

Aroma was primarily ginger with a hint of light fruit.

Like the aroma, ginger is the primary taste. I note a hint taste of grapefruit and light cracker.

Lighter bodied and a bit dry with a moderate carbonation.

This was more of a ginger beer than anything. I wish the grapefruit had been more bold. Probably won't have again.

06-12-2012 22:56:10 | More by Monkeyknife
kojevergas

2.78/5  rDev -11.7%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzel rods.

A: Pours a half finger head of white colour, awful thickness, no cream, and pathetic retention. Colour is a boring predictable clear copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Heavy fruit citrus hops - primarily weak grapefruit. Watery ginger. A poor aroma. Fairly strong.

T: Heavy ginger, water, and grapefruit. Maybe some clean malts. A hint of cannabis. Not particularly full-bodied. Boring and bland. Balanced poorly; water should not be a note. I'm severely disappointed. Not at all complex or subtle.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and watery. A bit undercarbonated. Thin.

Dr: Drinkable and decent for a ginger beer, but severely lacking. It's got flavour, but is overly watery. I wouldn't get it again - maybe on draught I guess. A disappointing beer from Spoetzl.

Low C

06-11-2012 05:26:28 | More by kojevergas
donmonkey1

Tennessee

3.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Dark golden brown. The small white head dissipates immediately and there's no lacing. The cabonation looks OK.

Smell: Grapefruit

Taste: Grapefruit juice in water.

M: Light body, nice carbonation, thin and watery.

Beer shouldn't taste like grapefruit. It should be reclassified as cider or something. I'll never drink it again.

06-09-2012 05:03:27 | More by donmonkey1
chilidog

3.38/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured a amber with no head or lace.
Aroma of citric, earth and pine.
Taste of a slight citric grapefruit with a ginger dryness.
The mouth is left with a sweet tart lingering grapefruit tartness.
Overall an ok summer beer but not a fan of lower abv brews that tip-toe into its flavor profile.

06-07-2012 00:04:03 | More by chilidog
facundoCNB

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

hazy amber pour with a giant release sound of carbonation when twisting off, yet no visible head. smells of bread, lemongrass, grapefruit. a tart funky grapefruit taste with a slightly bitter finish. hints of bread, and grass.

the mouthfeel is perfect for a summer beer. seltzer-like carbonation, light body.

overall, this is nice for a one-off. i don't think i'd ever get a 6-pk of this (though i did last year but only drank half), even though it's probably the most refreshing beer i've ever had. could use a bit more definition in the appearance, and the smell/taste may be fine where it is. it's pretty subtle for a grapefruit beer (expected it to be IN YOUR FACE)

05-31-2012 21:05:25 | More by facundoCNB
DrDemento456

3.83/5  rDev +21.6%

Pours red amber mostly light in color with a 1/2 inch of head that actually sticks around for quite a while.

Smell is pretty nice I do get some grapefruit and maybe ginger. The wheat base in this smells very fluid.

Taste was actually quite impressive since it makes for a pretty sweet/tart summer beer. Grapefruit isn't bitter but it does seem very natural with the balance of wheat. Not getting much ginger but it contributes to the balance of the beer.

Mouthfeel is light to medium. Not bad.

Overall I could see picking up a six pack since most places around here have Shiner for around 9 bucks a six pack. Not a bad fruit based beer at all.

05-29-2012 21:28:04 | More by DrDemento456