Shiner Ruby Redbird | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 255 | Ratings: 1,205
2.35/5  rDev -24.4%

12 oz single for about a $1.50

A: Looked great at the beginning, a really dense head, but then it just petered out in a blink of an eye.

S: Artificial grapefruit, not getting much ginger here. Almost reminds me of bathroom/kitchen disinfectant.

T: The malts are so weak, there is no hop. All there is is fizziness and bitter non-juicy grapefruit. The worst tasting ginger flavor lingers long after a sip. Terrible.

M: Really fizzy, might be thirst quenching in Texas weather.

O: Can't recommend this one at all. I don't know what Shiner was thinking. Smokehaus was leaps better than this.

3.16/5  rDev +1.6%

A golden color and a little hazy. The head that dies immediately. No head retention and no lacing. Lots of bubbles let you know that the beer is still alive though.

Sweet, citrusy and a good helping of ginger. It's actually a pretty nice aroma.

Thin and spritzer like. All of the carbonation and sweet citrus flavor up front almost makes you think you're drinking a soda but then you get a mix of grapefruit and ginger. Those flavors are then joined by a light malt base but it's the ginger that rides your tongue all the way through the finish.

It's very refreshing but it barely feels like I'm drinking a beer. I think I could get something very similar by mixing ginger ale and grapefruit juice. It's very refreshing and good for the summertime heat, but it needs to look and feel like a beer.

2.22/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

12 ounce bottle to wine glass
light amber color, hazy, off white head that disappears quickly
Nose: no aroma easily sense like flavored soda water
fizzy
fair beer, not ok to repeat, not to look for
Drank Arpil 29, 2016

2.48/5  rDev -20.3%

A: Nice looking reddish amber. Heavy carbonation present. Little/no lace or head.

S: Big ginger over a pale malt aroma. A little medicinal/antiseptic.

T: I love the taste of both ginger and grapefuit but this is not very good. Finishes metallic. Like weak ginger beer and pine sol.

M: Highly carbonated and invigorating.

D: Never again. "Fool me once..."

I really don't like or understand these novelty beers that have no direction or purpose.

3.51/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I hesitate to rate this higher than I should with the unfair advantage of the aromas & flavors coming from fruit instead of malt & hops. Really good & refreshing.

4.27/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a solo cup. (2015 batch)

A: The only underwhelming part of this here beer. Clear copper with 1/4" white head that sits down immediately. Lacing & retention are nonexistent.

S: Grapefruit, ginger & crackery malt. Delivers everything promised by the label.

T: Ruby red grapefruit & this batch has an exceptionally well-defined ginger note. A bit of caramel & maybe a faint melon note. Altogether bright flavors working in perfect harmony. Nice citrus/ginger bite on the finish, leaves a little spice lingering on the tongue.

M: Medium-bodied with next to no carb. Straddles the line between syrupy & oily, yet it all works well for the flavors. Finishes short & crisp.

O: Unbelievably well-executed brew from Shiner. Once you get past the blah appearance, it just gets better & better with each sip. They really seemed to have upped the ginger content this year & that's not a bad thing.

3.36/5  rDev +8%

Okay, so it's a fruit beer, and fruit beer's really don't taste like traditional beers with a solid malt bill.

Shiner Ruby Redbird is kind of like a ginger ale, but with alcohol. I'm talking about a serious ginger ale, not the mass produced "natural flavors" ginger ale.

In my light it looks amber-orange. The head left in a hurry. It smells of ginger up front with the sweet bitterness of grapefruit in the shadows. Again, it tastes and feels like a ginger ale. My guess is there is not one cultivar of hops listed in the ingredients for this recipe, but I haven't seen the blackbook of the brewmaster. Call it a hop-free beer if you can stand to imagine such a blasphemous concoction.

Refreshing? Yes. Satisfying? Sure. Does it stand a chance when I've got a choice between it and Bell's Amber Ale or another favorite of mine, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo? No. That being said, nice try.

I like you Shiner Ruby Redbird, but I don't love you.

3.09/5  rDev -0.6%

A: poured a clear dark golden color. No hint of head.
S: citrus, ginger, grapefruit...interesting.
T: kind of astringent..a tad bitter, pick up on ginger and grapefruit the most.
M: thin body, mild carbonation. Tad of a bite on the tongue. Bitter hang. Unremarkable.
O: not a great effort. It could stand to be more flavorful and not quite as cloying.

3.67/5  rDev +18%

The appearance is of a flat golden hue that had a nice head that disappated quickly leaving minamal lace.

Wow, the ginger and grapefruit are out on the front for sure, This is interesting.A slight malty goodness is up front then the ginger grapefuit kicks in hard. There seems to be some hops in there but they must be teased out.

The flavor follows the nose with the exception that therte is a hop bitterness and some hop citrus.

This is light and for good reason, It is from the south.

I like this brew, it is true to a summer beer for us in the extreme heat. Bravo Spoetzl we love your stuff here in south carolina.

3.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

My father-in-law brought me most of a 12-pack of this beer. In all honesty, that was a red flag for me. i wondered if he had a couple, realized it wasn't that great, and wasn't broken-hearted to part with it. After he told me grapefruit, I was a bit skeptical, but kept an open-mind, and I have to say, I enjoy this beer alright.

A: Pale, light golden color; transparent; looks a bit like a cider; absolutely no head or lacing

S: fragrant ginger but not too over the top, slight citrus undertones

T: sweet and tart balanced with spice and bitterness

M: light in body; very little carbonation; perfect i think for a hot, muggy day

O/D: This beer may not be for everyone, but it's an interesting and I think enjoyable combination of grapefruit and ginger. Better than expected.

1.68/5  rDev -46%

Pours a clear golden amber color, spritzy, but with no head formation whatsoever.

Aroma is strong ginger spice, with a lemony fresh scent.

Flavor follows. Ginger dominates, finishing with a hint of bitterness from a hint of lemon rind.

Medium-light body, with bright carbonation. In all honesty, the lemony freshness of this beer tastes more and more like dish soap the more this warms. After a good run of new beers from Shiner, I have to say this one is ill conceived.

In six years on BA I have never rated a beer an F. Unfortunately, that string is now broken.

3.09/5  rDev -0.6%

Probably expired. I got a bomber of this for $1.99, it's February, and this is a summer beer.
That asside, I just bought a grapefruit sculpin and decided I needed this as well.
Obviously pales in comparison to the former.
The head fades fast, no lacing
Smells of grapefruit and ginger. Not much else.
Tastes like the same.
Could be a great refreshing summer beer, but I would like it to have a little more beer flavor to it.
If it were a bit worse, I might guess it was a mass produced flavored beer.

3.69/5  rDev +18.6%

A. Poured a amber copper color with a short diminishing off white head no lacing on the glass.

S. Grapefruit, cinnomon, lemmon, grass,some ginger

T. Slightly sourand aslight spiciness.strange taste but I liked it, has tea like quality

M. Light and effervecent. A good duration

O. Even though this brew has a verry strange flavor I liked it I would have to say it would be even better on a really hot summer day.

2.72/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color and is topped with no head at all, when I poured it the carbonation that appeared left quicker than I could get it to show up.
Smell: The beer smells rather clean with just a hint of malt and hop aromas.
Taste: The beer tastes exactly as it smells clean and simple just like a beer on a hot day should be.
Mouthfeel: Redbird is a rather thin bodied easy drinking beer that I would have liked a lot more if it had a better flavor profile. This is a rather disappointing beer out of Shiner, TX.

3.71/5  rDev +19.3%

Bought some at Central Market after I started a small debate about it on the Southwest forum. Definitely a unique beer and maybe my favorite Shiner beer... though I guess that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Served in a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

The beer pours a clear solid gold with a white head that dissipates quite quickly. If there was any sort of head whatsoever, I'd really like the looks... but there's not.

The nose is ginger ale. Interesting. Am I really drinking beer? Deeper sniffs reveal fleshy, authentic grapefruit. I don't think I've ever had this fruity of a grapefruit flavor in a beer. I'm not sure that I prefer that, but it sure is interesting.

The taste is also mostly Ginger ale. There's also a good adjunct lager behind that. These flavors flow into that same fleshy grapefruit, which leaves a grapefruity bitterness... which doesn't really call forth hops. Interesting again. I wish they used some of the fruitiness of the hops (mmmm.... Citra), but this is a unique offering.

The mouthfeel is that of a smooth adjunct lager. Highly drinkable. Not over carbonated. This stuff goes down quickly and I've already finished my second in half an hour. Just plain interesting stuff.

4.03/5  rDev +29.6%

Made with grapfruit and that flavor does come through in the taste. This is an excellent summer beer...goes down easy and is very refreshing. Sandy-ish.

2.33/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Smell: Totally of ginger, did not feel any grapefruit. Smelled like ginger ale

Taste: Has some ginger ale taste to it, but extremely bland. Could taste something on the tip of my tongue, but the rest of my tongue just felt like some liquid had passed through it without any taste at all

Feel: Somewhat viscous, but that's about it.

I won't probably have it again. Taste like bland ginger ale.

4.41/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a clear light orange. no head, thus no retention or lacing.

smell is outta this world. crisp ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass notes and other citrus characteristics blend perfectly.

taste: nice ginger notes, grapefruit and a minimal malty flavor.

mouthfeel: a nice tart kick cleanses the palate to make way for all the fruity flavors. doesnt leave anything linfering

overall: without a doubt the best thing from shiner. pretty damn good on top of that!

3.64/5  rDev +17%

Poured into a straight pint glass.

A. Kind of an orange-amber colour with no head and plenty of rising bubbles.

S. Not bad - some ginger spice and plenty of citrus. A bit grainy too I think.

T. I'm getting much less grapefruit in the taste than I did in the nose, and much more ginger, but the spice is still relatively subdued and not overpowering. I can feel it more than taste it.

M. Kinda thin and watery. Lots of prickly carbonation... or is that the ginger?

O. I could definitely see me drinking a couple of these on a sweltering, baking Texas day in July or August. For all its faults it's a pretty good thirst quencher. Put a pint of Live Oak Pilz next to this though... no contest.

I'm always interested to see what Shiner come up with - sometimes it's a winner, sometimes not. I go with thumbs up for this one.

3.96/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

i used to drink shiner bock a good bit- it was the $2 beer at a bar i used to visit when i was in college. i havnt drank it much since. i tried this shiner ruby redbird expecting it to be super sweet. i was surprised and happy to be wrong.
it pours darker than i expected for a summer seasonal. its a golden pressing toward amber. the smell is heavy on the ginger with a little citrus. the taste is full of ginger with a nice, not overpowering, bitter.
i like this beer a good bit and i am gonna pick up some more of it.

4.22/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love grapefruit and it's my favorite out of all of the various citrus fruits. It would have been nice if the grapefruit flavor was more prominent. I definitely smell grapefruit but I get more ginger flavor than anything else. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Overall, very refreshing to drink and not too sweet either.

2.46/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

well it is tart but it's not very delightful. i usually really enjoy grapefruit flavored beers but this one all the grapefruit is in the aftertaste and the normal taste is too tart to drink more than one of.

3.07/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Dark golden brown. The small white head dissipates immediately and there's no lacing. The cabonation looks OK.

Smell: Grapefruit

Taste: Grapefruit juice in water.

M: Light body, nice carbonation, thin and watery.

Beer shouldn't taste like grapefruit. It should be reclassified as cider or something. I'll never drink it again.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, pale-gold. One finger of frothy white head that dissipates to nothing rather quickly, almost like I was pouring a soda. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Smells a lot like ginger-ale, so I'm definitely picking up the ginger that the beer advertises. Some grapefruit rind in the background, but I'm not getting any of a grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Tastes a little like ginger ale, too. More bitter grapefruit flavors in the taste than in the smell. Bare hints of malt linger for quite a while, reminding me that this is a beer. There is a bitterness on the end, but it's hard to tell if it's from the ginger/grapefruit rind or from the hops. All that being said, this is a fruit/vegetable beer, advertised as being a summer beer, and in that sense, it succeeds. The ginger and grapefruit are both noticeable, though I would like to see a stronger flavor of both.

Mouthfeel: There's an initial fizzy bite with each sip, but the rest of each sip seems flat. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing with this beer, however, as it makes it easier to drink.

Overall: I think this is one of those beers where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This is a different, enjoyable summer beer, very refreshing after a hot day. While I think the grapefruit and ginger flavors could be more pronounced, I enjoyed this.

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours out a clear, dark straw color with a thin white head that faded quickly. carbonation racing up the glass. It looks a lot like carbonated apple juice.

S: i get a lot of citrus in the nose. smells like grapefruit and lime. I also get a good amount of ginger, and some straw aromas. there is a sweetness in the aroma as well. i actually like the aroma.

T: i get quite a bit of ginger at first, and then it goes into a grapefruit flavor, and finishes bitter like a grapefruit. it needs a little more malt flavor i feel. it almost tastes like carbonated water, but at the same time i sort of like it.

M: thin and very carbonated.

O: overall i think this is a pretty good beer. it would be perfect for lounging at the pool here in phoenix. This is intended as a summer seasonal, and i think it fits that pretty well. It is thin and refreshing. i dont think i would buy this at the bar, but i would buy a six pack for my next pool party.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner