Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 236 | Hads: 1,127
3.35/5  rDev +7.4%

This is why I try new beers...even when it's Shiner. I really like this beer. I smell and taste more rosemary than grapefruit, but I can pick out the grapefruit. Either flavor is a bit much on the tongue. Golden in color with, as George would say, "...a pinkish hue." Plenty of carbon dioxide, but not much of a head. Zero head, as a matter of fact. Put it in a can, and it'll be my new fishin' beer. Ooooh, I almost forgot, it's got a tangy finish. Genuinely tangy, but not Tang. That would be gross. (501 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this on draught over at Hill Country in midtown last week, and I was able to get a 6-pack of it this weekend for a grilling party where I was able to review it. I poured a bottle into a regular pint glass.

A: Pours a nice bright hazy golden, with a tinge of redness--almost a light, strawberry blonde coloration. Not bad. The beer was highly carbonated and it showed, and there was a one-finger head of big bubbles that quickly went down. Nice and translucent. No lacing. 2.75

S: Nothing spectacular: you do pick up a bit of the bright citrus notes and the spice upon opening, although the crisp grapefruit and spice/ginger flavors that come through very strong in tasting are very muted. The scent does not linger. 2.5

T: Actually quite tasty and refreshing: the grapefruit hits you over the head, and the spice is also very pronounced. You can pick up ginger, but also some other blend (allspice? nutmeg?), and the grapefruit flavors does tend to fade into a general citrus and green brightness as the beer sits. It's very light but not insubstantial, and it all leads to a nice tart/sour flavor that reminded me slightly of a spiced-up Berliner Weisse. Very light on the hops, and very light on the malt also; I have to say that had I not seen that red grapefruit was being used (noted on the bottle), I would have thought white grapefruit. 3.5

M: Very carbonated, which I don't usually like--but it seemed to open up the bright flavors. Had the feel of a spiced Fresca soda, which on a very hot day (outside, grilling) worked very well and was very refreshing. 3.5

O: To me, this is a perfect example of a situational beer--and really, that's all you can expect from any sort of seasonal, let alone a summer seasonal. I found the beer very pleasant for a hot day out by the grill--it's tart and refreshing, the hint of spice went fine with our meats and grilled veggies, and the very light character went down really well. With the nice bright tartness, I didn't miss the hops or malt one bit. As long as you keep your beer cold (the experience went downhill considerably as my beer warmed up), it's a great light choice with some character. For any other day but a hot summer day, I'd give it somewhere in the high 2s, but for a hot summer day it got the job done and then some: 3.75. (2,301 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -42.3%

Picked up a 6pack at The Smoke Stack in Westpoint MS, I promise I won't hold this beer against them...

Poured a pretty golden color, promising!
Then I smelled it... and I should have stopped right there, soapy ginger smell, kinda like pickled ginger but more unpleasant. Tasted even worse to me, overwhelmingly ginger flavored with a bad almost stale beer undertone. I couldn't get past my 2nd sip. Maybe this is right to its style, if there even is such thing, but it sure isn't for me. I have no clue what I'll do with the remaining 5 bottles, too bad, I like most of their other offerings (592 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Picked this beer up at the local grocery store in a make your own 6 pack...it boasts on the bottle that it is "the perfect summer brew"

Noting very minimal lemon, and some spices with hops in the initial smell, really not very appealing.

Can taste a very small amount of lemon in the first sip but not enough, spices, hops, and carbonation dominate the flavor. This beer is highly carbonated and actually takes a lot away from the taste of the beer, and actually hurt my stomach a little bit.

For a beer claiming to be the perfect summer beer, this one leaves a little to be desired, it is just average or even below average. (630 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher. (288 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +25%

I guess I gotta hand it to Spoetzl for doing something a little different. (fondly recollecting the "peachy" Holiday Cheer...I got along with that one okay). This unusual concoction sparked me to stroke a review, the first one in a while.

Worked really hard to get a 1/2" head...very short lived. zero lacing

Redish amber...looks OK. Almost like bourbon in a glass.

Can detect a little lemon and grapefruit in the nose, a little rosemary.

First taste catches me totally off guard... Rosemary! Almost as if I had bitten into a fresh sprig! Was not expecting that..I guess it is the ginger, cascade, grapefruit combo.

A little thin on the mouthfeel

At first, the unusual nature of this struck me as, well, astrigently off the mark. After a couple more, and then a couple more the next day, I am coming to embrace it as a decent summer refresher. On one of those scorching hot summer days, its low alcohol, light bodied, citrusy nature could cause me to beg for more.

EDIT (10/23/11) : After this long long HOT HOT HOT and DRY summer, it seemd that I could not get enough of this one. Ice cold on a hot days straight out of the bottle, went down several 12 packs. (1,168 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

24oz bottles -- buy 2 get one free Shiner promotion at the local Publix Jupiter,Fl.,, including their wheat "belgian" (i doubt it)
served around 65° , has good carbonation ,nose light malt, citrus nose,
yea ginger is in here a little on the finish
The finish is actually of coriander when beer warmed up some.
I know what citra and similar hops taste like, not citra hops, more like the citrus pulp residue left over from juicing citrus in the beer.
Sam Adams and Oregon brewer's successfully use citra hops, but not in this beer.
I have made ale with citra,cascade hops naaa

burrrrpppp

ah yes good for chili like a few suggested good for cooking..not overwhelming however
I dont mind adding my own citrus such as lime in an iced beer when making Michelados on a hot day, this would make a good Michelados.

Having been out to Fredericksburg,kerrville and sampled the local ales, a Munich ale it isn't claims full body Munich ale .. no.
Served cold it's ok not awfull, just ok.

Pretty Lite beer for a German style, well to serve the yuppie larvae all i can figure. Need some good barley malted ales here cut back on the rice and corn malts and you'll have a winner. (1,176 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting another shandy type offering but this is way more interesting.

a: nothing too special, thin head.

s: really, really gorgeous. Grapefruit and ginger on top of a mellow toasty smell.

t: not sweet. It's beer, not a cooler or a shandy. There's ginger but it doesn't taste like ginger ale, and there's grapefruit but it doesn't taste like a cocktail. No one particular flavour is really dominant, but it all blends really well.

m: fizzy and refreshing.

o: I bought one of these out of a singles bin and then went back for a twelve-pack. Really well done and more interesting than a lot of the other seasonals. (625 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -23.1%

This is a love-hate beer and I find myself in the hate camp and surprised to see it still on store shelves.

The body and taste is "watery"/thin -plenty of citrus yet is more like a lager than a radler/shandy. I do enjoy the citrus aspect of hops and like grapefruit -which is showcased in this beer but the flavor comes from the fruit and not the hops in the case of Shiner Ruby Redbird. Perhaps as a Pale ale with grapefruit the beer would be more appealing. (460 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Has a very floral and fruity note to it. Appearance is clear golden as expected. Grapefruit bitterness once you taste and that kinda ruins the feel. I know some folks like it so I gave it a decent review to help others along. (226 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I have to Admit it,this took some Major Balls by the brewer..I mean right off the bat, Grapefruit & Beer? Seriously? I mean maybe if it was a California brewer,But TEXAS? they shoot you for this Kind of stuff in Texas dont they? hehe;)
Anyway,Came across this @ my local Beer shop,and since I will try Any Beer Once,I had to check it out,purty cheap too~5 bucks a 6er,so what the Hell!
Now I was Not expecting Much going in,I mean Beer & Grapefruit does not sound that gr8 to me,but I do like a lot of fruit beers,and I dig a good Ginger beer also~
Poured a 12oz Bottle of "Ruby Redbird" into a Pabst Pint Glass~
humm? Looks Kinda Nice Actually,maybe a Ginger ale/Light Lager with a shot of Grenadine..perhaps a strawberry Blondish color more or less.
It Smells Very Nice too,Grapefruit,spicy Ginger,with just a Hint of Malt,No hop odor whatsoever,Citrus Hints..about it.
Taste~Purty damn tasty to be Honest,Very Light and zesty,I get a little Malt taste up front with a Grapefruit/Citrus Mix following,and then a rather nice Ginger Finish,and just like the smell,I really can not detect any Hops @ all.
Now this Beer probably will not win you any Tough Guy Points with your meathead Buddies,or earn you any respect from your Hop Head Friends,who Only Drink IPA's,but I could care less about that kind of crap.
Now I am not saying "Ruby Redbird" is going to take the place of my Favorite summer time beers anytime soon [Flying Dog's woody Creek & Sam Adams Summer Ale] but Hell ya! I think it's a very good choice when you have some Yard work to do,and a soda or lemonade just aint cuttin it,or washing the car,Painting the house..whatever, with a very Low ABV [4.1%] it's a good choice when you want a crisp refreshing VERY Light beer with something off the beatin track..Grapefruit! hehe;)
Cant really think of much Grub this would go with besides Fruit & perhaps some Buttery cheeses..perhaps Guda,Edam & Brie may be ok,though probably best as an "Apertif~Cheers & Peace2All. (1,978 characters)

3.12/5  rDev 0%

This was a decent beer. It had a strong grapefruit smell which is to be expected from a beer that hinges the flavor profile on the fruit. It often reminded me of Shiner's Hefeweizen, but that may have been due to the citrus notes. It was refreshing on a hot day and I would have it again, but I don't really see myself buying a six pack of it. Not great, not bad. A decent beer. (378 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my River Horse glass.

A: Light gold with the faintest hint of pink? Or is that my imagination? Head faded very quickly to nothing.

S: Some sweetness, but the nose is dominated by spice, strangely enough. Just a big ginger smell, maybe a bit of clove. Much more intriguing if this were soda.

T: Bit of sweet malt out front, then a total grapefruit/tart citrus bomb. The ginger is present at the end. Seems to get a little better with each sip, perhaps that's my palate being obliterated?

M: Thin, watery, and highly carbonated. Refreshing? I guess.

O: Hard to call this beer. The fruit and spice flavors are the huge majority of the flavor. I get that it is supposed to be refreshing, but I can't imagine enjoying this no matter how thirsty I was.

EDIT: Based on having a second one out of the bottle whilst hot and sweaty, I've adjusted the scores slightly. Not good, but a bit better. (922 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best thing about this is its color. Gorgeous ruby red with tiny tiny head. Zero lacing. Actually tastes quite nice, fruity. Grapefruit and citrus notes predominate. Great for beach or hot summer day when you want something light and cold. (243 characters)

1.19/5  rDev -61.9%

Out of a bottle into a pint glass.

I've been on BA for awhile and never written a review, but this time I just couldn't stay silent. I knew this would either be awesome or wretched:

As soon as I poured the glass I knew I was in for trouble. The color was okay, but the head and clarity was very seltzery and the light foam dissipated quickly.

I put the glass to my nose and was hit by a fruity, citrus smell that reminded me of a bad Grocery store Sprite knock-off.

My wife, who usually likes fruitier beers, summed it up fairly well. It tastes like watered down Sprite. You know how after ice has melted and you water down the carbonation as well as the flavor.

Too much carbonation and very watery, despite a very prominent nasty grapefruit aftertaste. I like grapefruit, but this tastes like chemical, over-produced, from concentrate type. Think of Orange Juice vs. Orange Drink.

Overall Impression:
When I last visited Sea World several years back (before I really knew much about beer besides that I did not like BMCs) I went to their Anheuser-Busch beer school and learned that beer is made of barley, water *rice? and hops. I'm a little shocked they still use hops. But that's another story. After the beer school they gave us free samples. They were trying out beer infused with fruit (this was before the BL Lime and Miller Chill crap) and they literally poured a Mich Ultra and mixed it with cherry (or whatever) syrup. It was God-awful. My point is that this beer is the closest thing I've tasted to that, since. It should be noted I've never tried BL lime. I was hoping for a light, slightly fruity nod to the IPA bitterness that can taste grapfruity. As a Texas beer drinker I'm also always in Shiner's corner, morally speaking. But this beer was so bad. So bad. (1,786 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -64.1%

I had high hopes for this beer. Shiner makes some good beer so I thought what a great idea. Boy was I wrong.

The beer looks nice as you pour it but that's where it stops.

Taste is just horrible. All I taste Is strong ginger ale and no grapefruit.

Mouthful reminds me of the fountain drInks that run out of syrup.

This has to be the worst beer I have ever had and I've had some bad ones. (394 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

Light, just a few steps off from being refreshing/thirst-quenching. Grapefruit is prominent, but not as satisfying as I'd hoped for. Ginger kicks a bit of spice. No alcohol flavor detected. Notes of lemon zest/rind. Spritzy (very highly carbonated.)

Best way to sum this up is "Zima reincarnated." Not kidding. Maybe a touch of Tequiza too... Definitely alcopoppy.

I applaud the brewery's continued efforts to add more beers to their line up. Shiner is a trusted TX brand and these excursions help turn people on to drinking better beer and to not fear exploration. But this one I will not be purchasing again. Can't win 'em all! (633 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

This is a brew that many will rate poorly based on their personal preference, as opposed to how well it was done within it's style. I'm not a huge Shiner fan nor am I a fruit beer person, but in my opinion, they hit the nail right on the head with this one.

The beer pours with a thin fizzy soda like head which vanishes seconds later. Right off the bat you are hit hard with ginger and citrus on the nose. It almost smells like some sort of fresh ginger cocktail. The initial flavor is smooth and on the sweet side, but the sweetness quickly fades as it hits the sides and back of the tongue where it becomes dry and crisp. The ginger is present from start to finish, and that juicy red grapefruit comes through perfectly in the finish. It's light bodied and so juicy, but it isn't a sweet fruit beer by any means. To me it makes a perfect substitute for juice with breakfast, or as a refreshing alternative to a cider on a hot day. This is a wonderfully crafted unique brew that serves it's intended purpose perfectly. (1,029 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +17.3%

Got this bottle for free today from my beer guy.

Drank straight from the bottle, but poured a bit out to see the color and head.

Poured a nice amber with a short bright white head. Gone within seconds.

Smells pretty neat, lots of grapefruit and ginger. More fruit and citrus than ginger which is good.

Tastes pretty damn good. I can see how they call this the "perfect summer beer" Very light and refreshing. Easily drinkable on a hot summer day. Over the course of the beer, the ginger makes more of an appearance in the taste. Kinda kills all the wonderful grapefruit I had at the beginning.

Very light and crisp mouthfeel, as a summer beer should be.

Overall this is a good beer. Not great, but enough to keep me happy during ahot summer day. Well done shiner! (772 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Golden orange body with a spritey head that dissolves quickly.

S - Smells like a malty grapefruit. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Interesting.

T - Intense grapefruit on the front, finishes with decent smoothness. Lots of crispness and bite with little harshness. Interesting.

M - I'm yearning for a bit more carbonation. I think that this would make the beer much more enjoyable for me. It has such a smooth finish and plenty of grapefruit character, it seems like the intensity could be lacking in this dept.

O - I've never had a grapefruit beer before. The concept is interesting. Did Shiner deliver? Certainly in flavor. Some areas were lacking IMO, but I did enjoy. (680 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Sort of a hazy brownish gold color. No head or lacing.

S: Grapefruit, citrus.

T: Bitter but strangely nice and refreshing. Grapefruit is the most prominent w/some citrus.

M: Not much body or carbonation.

O: I'm kind of torn on how to wrap this up. When I break it apart into the above sections nothing really stands out as great, but overall I thought it worked in a weird way. Especially when this beer is served ice cold on a hot, humid, summer day (which was when I tried it). Sort of a polarizing beer, as opinions on it were divided right down the middle at the BBQ I had it at. But I'll definitely pick some up next summer to give it another shot. (711 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You need to like Grapefruit to enjoy this beer
Its a bit sweet as well, all in all a good grab for a hot day

it pours light to medium gold with a grapefruit citrus hitting you in the face, the hops are lacking like others have commented. The key here is the grapefruit and effervescent quality. So if your looking for an enjoyable summer beer you have one (357 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -26.9%

I wanted to like this beer, really I did.

I like Citra hops, and right there on the back label is says Citra, Cascade and Mt. Hood are used; all excellent. So, I'm thinking: "Ruby red grapefruit with Citra ... what a wonderful, tangy combination!" Then there's the 4% ABV, which is right up the alley I've been walking lately: beers with 5% ABV or less. And to cap it off, Shiner's stuff is often on sale for $4.99 a sixer.

But I should have gone to the Shiner website before my purchase. The Ruby Redbird webpage says nothing about the hops used, AND THE IBUS ARE ONLY 13. THIRTEEN?? What'd you do, Spoetzl, pass an open baggie of hops over the kettle like you do with Vermouth when making a super-dry martini? I found little hop presence, as a 13 IBU wound suggest. But why promote hops on the label when their contribution to smell and taste are hardly noticeable?

The color is actually very nice; looks like filtered apply juice. I did find the grapefruit and ginger in the smell and taste ... BUT NO DARN HOPS! It was also about as flat as apple juice; no carbonation to speak of.

The more I think of it, the more I think the mention of any hops at all on the back label is deceptive advertising. Either fix the beer with more hops, Spoetzl, or print up some new labels that promote this beer for what it really is: a grapefruit/ginger beer. (1,350 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours an orange/amber, and the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is very strong on citrus, and the taste follows. It's grapefruit, but tastes more like lemon to me. The acidic citrus flavor and the ginger are just overpowering, and overshadow any other beer flavors that might be there.

This is a confusing beer. It is crisp and refreshing, but just tastes out of balance. If they tweaked the recipe a bit, they might be on to something. For summertime concept fruit beers, I'd go with 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon or Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. This is not a repeat buy for me, even though I give them credit for creativity. (642 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +32.1%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A very light amber. Pours with a very tiny head that dissipates instantly.

Smell: Frankly, it's bizarre. Not in a bad way, but definitely not a conventional beer whatsoever. The ginger and the grapefruit hit you in the nose right away, and that's all I'm getting out of it.

Taste: Again, bizarre, but in the best of ways. Has a very crisp, gingery bite, which mellows quickly. Finishes with a slight tanginess, and a bit of bitterness at the rear of the palate from the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light. Moderately carbonated. Extremely drinkable.

Overall: This ain't your normal glass of beer. It's pretty out there, and definitely the most adventurous Shiner brew that I've ever had. It's nice to have a citrusy beer that doesn't taste like chemicals and failure (Bud Light Lime, anyone?) The bottle brags that it's the "Perfect Summer Beer", and it might be right. I think it would also pair pretty well with asian or asian fusion dishes. It would be especially good with sushi. I'm sure a lot of BeerAdvocate users are going to give this beer poor reviews ("WHY DOES IT NOT REEK OF HOPS?!?!?", they'll scream), because they seem to love rating beers without regard for their intended drinking context. But if you're looking for an unpretentious, unusual session beer - give this a shot. (1,368 characters)

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner