2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 183 | Show All Ratings:
Brewnah

To me this is one of the best summer seasonal beers. In my experience the summer seasonal beers can either be way too fruity or a bit lacking in body and flavor. I found this both refreshing and full of flavor.

As weird as grapefruit beer sounded it was just what my taste buds expected. The balance of citrus and bitter taste on my tongue was perfect. Top that off with a hint of ginger and they have me coming back for more. It is a shame that this one can only come once a year.

The color was what I expected from the shiner family. It had a slight hue of red or amber. The head was only 1/8 inch but that could be to to a poor pour on my part.

All in all my favorite summer beer.

08-30-2012 22:46:03 | More by Brewnah
Anthogonist

2.69/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Im usually a huge fan of Shiner beer, however this one didn't settle too well with me. I had picked up this beer last summer thinking it might be a good one to quench the horrible Texas summer heat. Turns out I was wrong.

The beer has a nice red tint to it.

The smell is like a large piece of ginger, some grapefruit and a lemon got blended together and was stuck inside the bottle. It smells pretty good but can be a little overwhelming.

The taste is highly acidic for a beer (grapefruit causes this). It's pretty smooth but a bitter after taste.

Overall, id say this one isn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped it be. Nice try though Shiner.

01-09-2013 04:10:17 | More by Anthogonist
Snow

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

You need to like Grapefruit to enjoy this beer
Its a bit sweet as well, all in all a good grab for a hot day

it pours light to medium gold with a grapefruit citrus hitting you in the face, the hops are lacking like others have commented. The key here is the grapefruit and effervescent quality. So if your looking for an enjoyable summer beer you have one

04-18-2014 18:08:04 | More by Snow
PossumPissBrews

1.83/5  rDev -41.9%

I actually like beers with fruits brewed in them, but this just wasn't for me. The ginger side of things was a little strange. I feel it was too light for my taste. Seemed thin although it has flavor. The alcohol content is very low for a Shiner beer as well.

Overall I'm not very impressed, but to some that enjoy their beers brewed with fruit, it could be acceptable.

04-15-2011 15:01:50 | More by PossumPissBrews
enusbaum

2.23/5  rDev -29.2%

I'd heard mixed reviews of this beer from folks around town and needless to say the almost bi-polar reviews on here intrigued me. Like another reviewer before me, I've never actually written a review on BA for anything, but felt that I should chime in on this one.

A: Poured into a pint glass straight down the middle looking for a head to really release the aroma. About a 1/2 finger head was present for a few seconds before quickly dissipating. Has a nice amber color and visible carbonation.

S: Fresca. No joke. You get a nose full of citrus-y grapefruit which I think it just amped up by the ginger.

T: The first thing I noticed about this beer as it hit the tongue was the carbonation. Next you get a mouthful of grapefruit and citrus notes. Mild, mild hops are present but are just blown away by the grapefruit. Leaves a bitter citrus aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

M: Light and heavy carbonation. Like drinking a 7-Up or Fresca.

O: I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Compared to other "fruit beers" such as Dogfish Head Aprihop or Magic Hat #9, this is falls terribly short. I wouldn't put it in the same flavor category as a Lambic due to how watered down this would taste in comparison.

The closest comparison I can think of would be Miller 64 with a slice ruby red grapefruit added. Very drinkable, but worth it?

Opinions are mixed though. Some people really love it, and some like myself feel let down. All in all, I'd at least say give it a try and reach your own opinion.

04-18-2011 00:38:35 | More by enusbaum
Beerfreak676

3.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Basically it has a light taste of ginger, fresh grapefruit, lemongrass and other citrus characteristics.It all comes together perfectly.To be honest with y'all,look at all the reviews on tap.Not many huh...but there aren't any bad ones.Where as the bottle has horrible reviews mixed in with OK(& great ones scattered around). Sounds like with the bottle of this beer sometimes there is too much carbonation and off tap that problem has not come up at Bombay bar.I have a 32oz bottle of this in my fridge right now but I'm leaving this review for the "tap" because it's simply better and every connoisseur "knows this".In my opinion if you thought it tasted like "bad soda" then I recommend you look up a bar in your area and ask if they have it on tap,guarantee that shit won't happen to you again.

05-10-2012 07:49:22 | More by Beerfreak676
OnDrawnWings

4.83/5  rDev +53.3%

This is my favorite all-time beer. It's really hard to describe-the grapefruit is there, but subtle. The ginger is there-but it's also just right. I don't usually like "fruit-infused" beers at all, and "Blue Moon" is too sweet for me, but this beer is incredible!

I literally almost got into a row over the last 12 pack last fall, when me and this other guy came into the store at the same time, panicked that it was almost gone. We lamented that this beer is seasonal.

08-13-2012 00:40:06 | More by OnDrawnWings
dwalthall12

4.28/5  rDev +35.9%

This really is the perfect summer beer. I found myself googling the 2013 in stores date in the winter. This is my favorite beer and if you have not had it yet then you are missing out. Most bars and grocery stores have it available from March - September so pick some up if you haven't already

06-28-2013 23:01:13 | More by dwalthall12