Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner Ruby RedbirdShiner Ruby Redbird

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.01% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

Reviews: 237 | Hads: 1,140

A pretty average summer beer. Poured into a flute, there was some initial carbonation with lots of bubbles and a fizzy white head. The head died down pretty quick and left no lacing on the glass. The reddish copper color ws nice though.

Smell was pretty faint, some ginger and a little grapefruit.. Taste was a little stronger, the grapefruit came out more and the ginger was subdued enough not to be annoying. No strong flavors though, not much in the way of malt. The bitterness was provided by the grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is light, with a little kick from the ginger and grapefruit.

In all, a pretty average drink. I could not see myself doing pitchers of this even on a hot day.

2.03/5  rDev -34.5%

Amber golden color with a fluffy head that is short lived.
Predominant sweet aroma of oxidized grapefruit juice and ginger.
Soda flavor with artificial notes of grapefruit and mostly ginger, not otherwise.
Dry aftertaste with a very mild bitterness.
Light body with soda like carbonation.
This didn't taste it as beer, it sure tasted as a ginger beer. I was expecting a flavorful grapefruit APA, but it came out as a sugary soda drink. This could have been so much better.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Has a very floral and fruity note to it. Appearance is clear golden as expected. Grapefruit bitterness once you taste and that kinda ruins the feel. I know some folks like it so I gave it a decent review to help others along.

3.6/5  rDev +16.1%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a Samuel Adams tasting glass. The label lists the abv at 4.01% and it also gives a nice description of the beer.

Appearance: The body is very clear and light to medium amber in color. It head is off white and quick fading despite a very active carbonation flowing up though the beer. After the first sip the head has completely disappeared and subsequently there is no lacing to speak of.

Smell: The aroma is light overall. I get some dry spicy gingerbread notes standing out over light grainy maltiness.

Taste / Palate: The flavor starts with a light grainy base malt with notes of ginger and mild white peppercorn. Very mild notes of tart grapefruit like citrus move in and lead into the dry snappy finnish. Hop favor seems very subdued but very complimentary to the Ruby Red grapefruit juice and it definitely adds to the dryness. The palate feels light and quite lively.

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

A: clear; bronze; less than 1 finger of white head that receded quickly to almost no sign of any carbonation;

S: muted; what was there was ginger, with a touch of grapefruit in the background;

T: like flat, watered down ginger ale; I really had to search for the grapefruit;

M: medium bodied; light carbonation;

O: not much positive to say; I expect a fruit beer to distinctly smell like the fruit it's brewed with - not the case here; also, even without real red grapefruit, it's so easy to impart grapefruit flavor in a beer with hops; finally, my bottle was poorly carbonated;

4.03/5  rDev +30%

Made with grapfruit and that flavor does come through in the taste. This is an excellent summer beer...goes down easy and is very refreshing. Sandy-ish.

3.24/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On-tap 8/17/2014 at Battleship Brewhouse in Fall River, MA, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a very thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma smells a lot like ginger ale up front, then the grapefruit scent comes in along with some light malts.

T: The taste starts out with flavors of grapefruit and spices, but mostly ginger. The malt character is very thin and there is very little hops presence. The after-taste is slightly spicy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

O: A little flavorful, goes down ok, not filling at all, very mild kick, decent variation of style, this is just a mediocre beer at best.

3.89/5  rDev +25.5%

Here in South Texas where today the heat index will be above 100 again, this is a great beer to have after sweating. It's relatively low alcohol (4.75%) so you can drink a few of them without getting too intoxicated. It is a very dry and tart beer so it is not for everyone. This has to be served very cold, I have not yet let it grow warm so I'm not sure what it would taste like but I doubt it would improve with a higher temperature. I eat grapefruit often so I love this beer.

2.73/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was expecting refreshing and light. It was light, and there were some interesting flavors brought about by the grapefruit and the ginger, but I didn't find it all that refreshing, a quality I seek in a brew that's billed as a refreshing summer beer. If it needs to be Ice Cold like the can says, then I guess that's a problem for me. I like a good ginger ale. I enjoy grapefruit very much. I'm not overly excited by this particular combination for refreshment. Maybe if it had been more wheat based without the ginger, I would have found it more refreshing.

3.9/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I took one from my six pack and poured into a pint glass.
It had a semi - clear yellow color with lots of carbonation to be seen rising throughout a bubbly looking head that quickly died down.
It smelled exactly as the can said, ginger with some grapefruit and it tasted the same as well.
The mouthfeel was slightly harsh but didn't bother me too much as I just figured it was the ginger.
Overall, huh, well how about that, when I sit down and take the time to actually take a look at this beer, it's not that bad. Refreshing, heck yeah, I could be wrong but I'm not sure if I could find anything more refreshing in at least Southeast Alaska.

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

It tastes like Ginger ale with a hint of grapefruit juice. Not bad for someone who doesn't really like that hoppy beer taste but wants something summery. I had this mid July with chicken wings, I'd say that's the best pairing for this beer. Nothing to write home about but refreshing with a light dinner.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance: pours a 2" pillowy white head that falls with some nice lacing left behind. Color is a clear amber with moderate streaming carbonation.

Aroma: gingerbread cookie dough is the dominate smell. Also a bit of lemony citrus.

Mouthfeel: light and quite tangy with a somewhat dry finish.

Flavor: ginger is a bit more subdued than in the aroma, blends nicely with caramel malts and the citrus flavor.

Overall: Definitely a unique beer. It is quite refreshing on a hot summer day. Not something I would buy or drink regularly, but enjoyable none the less.

4.22/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I love grapefruit and it's my favorite out of all of the various citrus fruits. It would have been nice if the grapefruit flavor was more prominent. I definitely smell grapefruit but I get more ginger flavor than anything else. It's not necessarily a bad thing either. Overall, very refreshing to drink and not too sweet either.

3.12/5  rDev +0.6%

$ 8.99/sixer at Wegmans
Undated bottle at 40 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma of grapefruit and ginger
Head small (2 cm), white, fizzy, very rapidly diminishing to leave no layer of ring
No lacing
Body medium yellow, clear
Flavor begins with grapefruit and quickly fades to leave ginger. No alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, lively carbonation

When I first had this three years ago, I really liked it. Now, not so much. It appears that the ginger has become predominant with the grapefruit taking a lesser role. It’s still OK, particularly since it’s a lawnmower beer. I can also detect a little skunkiness, probably thanks to Wegmans well-lighted cooler. It loses points for lack of head and lacing and for the skunkiness.

2.59/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess my impression of this was to be a Radler but a bit more beer, instead this never appealed to me. The color and appearance was thin and watery, as was the feel but it seemed to be more nothingness. The taste and nose are acrid and saccharine with an artificial grapefruit. The ginger is sour and earthy, very vegetative, with little malt. Not my favorite.

4.71/5  rDev +51.9%

I've been rapidly tasting craft beers for a few years and this is by far my favorite summer ale.. Grapefruit is f*&%ing disgusting but I was completely blown away by this fantastic beer. Very crisp light enough to drink a ton of em on a full stomach AND plenty of flavor.. This beer is not sissy although it is light. Reminds me of water skiing, the beach, the pool and grilled food. GANGSTA!

3.52/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was expecting another shandy type offering but this is way more interesting.

a: nothing too special, thin head.

s: really, really gorgeous. Grapefruit and ginger on top of a mellow toasty smell.

t: not sweet. It's beer, not a cooler or a shandy. There's ginger but it doesn't taste like ginger ale, and there's grapefruit but it doesn't taste like a cocktail. No one particular flavour is really dominant, but it all blends really well.

m: fizzy and refreshing.

o: I bought one of these out of a singles bin and then went back for a twelve-pack. Really well done and more interesting than a lot of the other seasonals.

2.89/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

P- Wegmans in Mechanicsburg, PA

A- clear light copper tone color. Minimal head and little lacing. No carbonation either.

S- ginger, ginger, and more ginger. Almost like smelling ginger ale soda. I don't get any grapefruit at all.

F- umm...its like drinking ginger ale with some grapefruit juice thrown in for good measure. The malts are weak and give no definition to the beer.

M- crisp, smooth and light bodied. Ginger Ginger Ginger

O- its good if you like drinking ginger ale with alcohol. I wont be having another.

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

A - Poured a very small head that dissapated quickly. Otherwise has a very nice clear, reddish amber color. Carbonation level looks good.

S - mostly pick up the ginger, the grapefruit juice is also present. Otherwise just enough yeast/hops/malts to tell its a beer. Doesn't smell like beer but still smells pretty good.

T - it's not beer, but it's good. Reminds me very much of reeds ginger beer. The ginger is the most noticeable, with fruity undertones and a slight cereal grain flavor that let's you know it's still a beer.

M - not overly carbonated, good for what it is, less than a ginger ale which is good here.

O - this is something I picked up in a cheap make your own six pack at the grocery store just to give it a try. Honestly I thought it was just a summer seasonal from shiner and didn't see the grapefruit and ginger part of the label, and probably wouldn't have tried it if I had. I'm actually glad I did. Don't get me wrong, by my standards this isn't beer, which makes rating it here kind of difficult, but I gave it a decent rating because whatever it is, it's pretty good. I mentioned reeds ginger beer, which I really like, and this really reminds me of it. Very refreshing after a hot day. I would probably buy this again if I was in the mood for something a little different.

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

24oz bottles -- buy 2 get one free Shiner promotion at the local Publix Jupiter,Fl.,, including their wheat "belgian" (i doubt it)
served around 65° , has good carbonation ,nose light malt, citrus nose,
yea ginger is in here a little on the finish
The finish is actually of coriander when beer warmed up some.
I know what citra and similar hops taste like, not citra hops, more like the citrus pulp residue left over from juicing citrus in the beer.
Sam Adams and Oregon brewer's successfully use citra hops, but not in this beer.
I have made ale with citra,cascade hops naaa

ah yes good for chili like a few suggested good for cooking..not overwhelming however
I dont mind adding my own citrus such as lime in an iced beer when making Michelados on a hot day, this would make a good Michelados.

Having been out to Fredericksburg,kerrville and sampled the local ales, a Munich ale it isn't claims full body Munich ale .. no.
Served cold it's ok not awfull, just ok.

Pretty Lite beer for a German style, well to serve the yuppie larvae all i can figure. Need some good barley malted ales here cut back on the rice and corn malts and you'll have a winner.

3.63/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer has a singular purpose - quench your thirst on a hot hot day, and THAT it will do exquisitely well.

The addition of the ruby red grapefruit and ginger, adding to the astringency of the hops - outstanding combination.

This is a rather "light" brew allowing the flavor of the grapefruit and ginger to "shine" through without being overwhelming... You still know it's beer.

What tastes better after a long day in the hot sun; gardening, weeding, mowing? Of course - a cold brew. What tastes better than a cold brew after a long day doing yard work in the hot sun? Yeah... a Shiner Ruby Redbird.

No wonder the store sold out. (They had a whole pallet of this stuff on the floor on Friday. Monday it was GONE!)

Until now I did not like fruit in my beer. I may have to rethink that.

3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

A- light amber with no head. Therefore, no lacing. There is a small amount of visible carbonation. It looks relatively lifeless.

S- very very light. Some ginger and yeast...not much else.

T- warming ginger spice, some grapefruit. Yeasty finish. Once again, this one falls short.

M- light bodied, prickly carbonation.

O- I was expecting strong ginger and acidic grapefruit... I received none of that. Not good.

2.2/5  rDev -29%

This was recommended by a clerk in my favorite beer store when another customer asked about it. It sounded appealing because grapefruit and ginger are favorites and I'm open to trying fruit beers. I bought a six-pack to try and what a disappoinment. I like ginger a lot but the bitter ginger flavor in this overpowered all other flavors. I tried a small serving again with friends a few days later during a meal and it was slightly better with food. Others thought it would be good on a hot summer day but I can think of many other beers I'd rather drink as an afternoon cooler. I will defintely pass on this.

3.64/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is the first time that I have ever heard of this beer and I bought some and It is actually really good. It is refreshing and has a fruity taste to it. I have always liked shiner beers but this one is really good. The smell to it is not that bad as well. I tried it for the first time on vacation and I really liked it. I am hoping that I can find some here at home. Shiner made a good summer beer. It is refreshing and not too strong of a taste at the same time. The smell is actually good as well. It is not too heavy or too light and I like that. For anyone who likes Shiner beers they should try this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +40.3%

Not a huge Shiner fan but i love this beer despite that most reviews here are not favorable. It's a specific beer for a specific time of year (i.e. on a hot summer day). I find it incredibly light and refreshing. A perfect beer for a hot summers day.

Shiner Ruby Redbird from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner