Shiner Ruby Redbird - Spoetzl Brewery

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: wagenvolks on 03-17-2011

4.04/5  rDev +27%

Served on tap at Sam's in Durham. Poured into a DFH pint glass

Pours a light golden color with a very minor head. It has a very pronounced sweet and fruity nose. Very pleasant. The taste is best described as refreshing. Extremely easy to drink. Medium carbonation and a light feel make the drinkability extremely high.

Overall a solid, enjoyable summer beer. Probably my go to beer for the summer. If you dont like this beer, then you dont like summer!

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

I like grapefruit and I taste it some IPA so when I saw this I had to try it. Its not an IPA but its good. hard to describe, similar to a Weiss Bier and fruity. Better than Shiner Bock. Low alcohol. easy to drink. This is good for a hot humid summer night. I just with the ABV was higher.

3.66/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't care what anyone says, this is a pretty good brew. far superior to the original shiner bock, and with a well executed twist of creativity that I find just right for warm weather sessioning. the appearance is nothing special, an understated pale ale color with a moderate but rapidly fading white head and very little visible carbonation. the nose has some fresh ginger and a medium American malt base. there is also some interesting citrus notes coming from this, I cant yet pick it out as grapefruit, but it absolutely smells thirst quenching. the flavor is sharp sweet red tangy grapefruit right up front. really fresh and tasty, with the ginger taking more of the spotlight towards the finish. a very refreshing beer indeed. only mildly acidic from the grapefruit, and very very light in body with dancing carbonation, this is a beer I could drink all day on the boat or at a picnic. its got that summery vie to it without using lemons or lager yeast or any of the usual suspects really. easily the best diner brew ive had, despite its mostly negative feedback here on BA. ill buy this again.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.35/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I CAN hardly CANtain my joy at having found this in the cooler at Bocktown (Robinson) during my recent visit to Da Burgh. The CANQuest (TM) rejoices!

From the CAN: "Summer Seasonal Beer"; "Beer brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Serve ice cold on hot days".

It is hot and humid and my asthma is kicking into high gear today, so this would be the day for it. It is plenty cold, coming right out of my reefer and once the Crack happens, an inverted Glug into my glass. The nose is amazing! The ginger is pungent and the grapefruit only enhances the smell. I got a brief finger of tawny head following the Glug, but the humidity killed it. Mouthfeel was thin and a little watery, but the taste was very gingery, almost tea-like in its mellowness. Finish was really dry and quite refreshing. I would load a cooler with CANs for a day at the beach.

My original Bottle review of 16 Feb 2013:

Local trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me, along with a buncha others in a mixed case. I always look forward to his CARE packages and I try to reCANpricate as best as I CAN muster between visits.

From the bottle: "The perfect summer brew"; "Summer seasonal ale brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice and with ginger and natural flavor added"; "Ginger [-] all natural tropical spice"; "Grapefruit [-] sweet citrus of the Rio Grande Valley"; "Serve ice cold on hot days"; "This crisp, refreshing summer seasonal is brewed with Texas Ruby Red grapefruit juice, the signature citrus of the Rio Grande Valley. Tartness from the grapefruit and a delightful kick from ginger combine for a taste that's perfect for hot summer days. Its deep gold color and full body come from pure Munich malt and Mt. Hood, Citra and Cascade hops balance the flavor well."; "There's nothing finer! Than a summertime Shiner!"

I am always put in mind of the early Hawaiian Punch ads with Punchy, asking the tourist if he'd like a nice Hawaiian Punch. When he responds in the affirmative, Punchy promptly punches him, resulting in a black eye. I cringe in Texas, especially when ogling the Flying Saucer waitstaff and someone asks me, "Hey, pal, how'd you like a Shiner?" I do not follow my instinct and likewise nod in the affirmative and then go into a defensive stance. YMMV.

Did I mention my new student, named "Tawny"? What a great name, and I had a dense finger of tawny head with good retention following my pour. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. The nose was AMAZING - I caught an initial whiff of grapefruit, but then the ginger suddenly hit me in the sinus cavity! I actually sneezed in surprise. I am all for truth in advertising, but this was unexpected. The mouthfeel was medium, but it was abrasive in its flavor as I was basking in the ginger on the tongue. I still think that Clove Life Savers were the best I ever had as a kid and this reminded me of one of them. The tart of the grapefruit seemed to be lost until the swallow and its incredibly dry finish. No wonder this is a summer beer - it was like liquid alum. My throat constricted and I began to gasp for air. This wasn't dry, it was downright arid! Wow. I definitely want one at a more appropriate time of year.

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%